PDA

View Full Version : The Dianic tradition?

DayDreamer
June 16th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Does anyone here practice the Dianic trad? I saw references to this as the most "feminist" of pagan trads, and I found that interesting. Any thoughts?

Rain Gnosis
June 16th, 2003, 03:38 PM
That would be because Dianics focus on the Goddess and either don't work with the God or feel he takes a lower precedence to the Goddess. I would say then, yeah, it probably is a trad most suited to some feminists.

You can find lots of info using Google (http://google.com/).

Taylorfate
June 16th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Try Sacred Text.com (www.sacred-texts.com) for info also my friend.

Mithrea
June 16th, 2003, 05:56 PM
There are also at least three Dianic members of MW that I know of (including me). I would also suggest you check out http://www.zbudapest.com and pm me if you have any more questions.

Rain Gnosis
June 16th, 2003, 06:03 PM
There are also at least three Dianic members of MW that I know of (including me). I would also suggest you check out http://www.zbudapest.com and pm me if you have any more questions.

I wasn't aware of that :) Out of curiousity, who are the other two?

Mithrea
June 16th, 2003, 06:18 PM
I wasn't aware of that :) Out of curiousity, who are the other two?

:) Well . . . I'm not sure I should answer that. Even among pagans, not all Dianics seem to want to "out" themselves as Dianic. That brings up an interesting point. Many Dianics don't openly identify themselves as Dianic, only Wiccan, because people have this idea that they are all lesbian, man-hating, extremists. I've seen it myself in my local group. You introduce yourself as Dianic and people look at you sideways, like they suddenly know everything about you that they need to know. I'm sure there are some lesbian, man-hating extremists and they have every right to be . . . there are also many all lesbian Dianic covens. But there are many Dianics that aren't. I don't know if you remember, Rain, but we did discuss a looong time ago that I was wanting to read up on it. :) Well I did, and what I found was that all of the problems I had with *Wicca* that kept me from calling myself Wiccan, were suddenly resolved. None of my beliefs or practices changed, I just suddenly realized I've been practicing in the Dianic Tradition all along. My focus has always been on the female.

Another good author for you to read DayDreamer is Diane Stein.

Rain Gnosis
June 16th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Fair enough.

It is quite possible my impression is entirely wrong, so I apologize if it is. Now I'm interested as to how it solved the problems you had with Wicca, though I realize that might be personal and respect if you want to leave it at that.

Morrigana
June 17th, 2003, 10:51 AM
I'm one of the Dianics that Mithrea mentioned. And yes, some Dianics do feel they are pigeonholed and prefer to hide in the closet in terms of other Pagans finding out their tradition for one reason or another.

As for me, for many years, I just considered my path "Goddess Witchcraft" and never put two and two together until a few months ago that I was actually practicing the Dianic Tradition. Various people helped me come to realize it, including talking with Mith about it and I am proud to say i'm Dianic now. I am also not what many would think of as being a Dianic.. I am happily married to a man, have no lesbian tendencies, don't hate men at all, and am very "girly". I just honor the Goddess and only Her, in Her many phases and forms. I do respect the God and acknowledge him on certain Sabbats, but that is about the extent of it, I do not call on him in ritual, etc.

Rain Gnosis
June 17th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Hm, I was thinking recently that I tended to feel a connection with the Goddess and not so much the God.

DayDreamer
June 17th, 2003, 11:20 AM
I asked because I'm very new to this, and the idea of a male diety smacks too much of christianity to me - and I'm still struggling against that. I don't like to think I'm anti-Christian, but in a way I am, I suppose.

Then again... what appeals to me most is a Mother Earth symbol, a maternal figure who gave birth to everything. Seems vaguely native american, doesn't it??

Now you see why I'm asking questions. :lol: :wtf:

But, perhaps it's just that "eclectic pagan" seems to suit me at this time, I don't know. Which is why I read so much.

Ben Trismegistus
June 17th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Hm, I was thinking recently that I tended to feel a connection with the Goddess and not so much the God.

I think that's pretty natural, or at least common. In my experience (and FYI, I try to honor the god & goddess as evenly as I can), it's easier to feel a more personal connection to the Goddess than to the God. I think that our relationship with the gods often takes on the attributes of a parental relationship, and I think it's only natural to view the Goddess as a maternal, life-giving, compassionate figure, and to view the God as a paternal figure, always supportive and strong, but often distant or even stern.

For those of us raised in Judeo-Christian traditions, it's hard to leave behind the image of a Father God who will punish you if you do bad things. I believe that a lot of seekers came to the Goddess for particularly that reason, and they therefore form an immediate bond with the Goddess that can't be matched by a patriarchal God.

I don't think that Dianism is only for lesbians and man-haters (although I know plenty of both who are goddess-worshippers). I think that Goddess worship appeals to anyone who wants a more personal and immediate connection to their Deity. Perhaps over time, some Goddess worshippers will also gain a similar respect and affection for God, and perhaps not. It's a personal decision.

:needcoffe

Rain Gnosis
June 17th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Perhaps. Of course I have to be the oddball that a) wasn't raised in any JCI religion and b) am as close to my dad, if not closer

Ben Trismegistus
June 17th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Perhaps. Of course I have to be the oddball that a) wasn't raised in any JCI religion and b) am as close to my dad, if not closer

True. But we all knew you were an oddball. :stooges:

Starfly
July 1st, 2003, 11:42 PM
I can understand that one just leaving a Christian faith would be more drawn to the Goddess than the God. A lot of people I know here didn't pay much attention at all to the the God for some years after they had changed their religion. Being raised Mormon, I grew up with the concept of both a God and a Goddess, though the Goddess side was usually suppressed and only talked of in secret, which bothered me. As things are now, I do feel a stronger pull toward the Goddess than the God, but if I don't include the God, things feel unbalanced and out of place for me. Just as everyone has a biological mother, they also have a biological father or else they wouldn't be here (let's not go into genetics and test tube babies for now, unless you really want to... I've learned quite a few things on the topic that just plain makes the hairs on my neck stand on end). I'm not saying this is the "right" way, but that's just the reason why I always include both.

And I actually have yet to meet a true Dianic in person (at least not as far as I know), so I don't know a whole lot about it.

AmbivalentMirage
July 2nd, 2003, 06:52 AM
Aha! You're Dianic. No wonder I always feel so subjugated while talking to you. ;) Silly me and my male-ness. :lol: j/k, of course.

I've always been curious about the Dianic path considering how much it contrasts to more patriarchal systems of faith and systems that focus on both genders.

While I do focus on both genders AND the combination of the two on my path, I feel very drawn to the Goddess and want to learn more of her. Maybe it is because of the mystery that she represents to me. God represents more of a powerful, natural force that flows with in me while the Goddess seems to represent something beyond and above me that guides me. :)

Rain Gnosis
July 3rd, 2003, 12:54 PM
Incidentally, I just stumbled across Ari's site again, and it has some great articles and essays on Dianic Witchcraft - http://kisstheviolets.org/padma/

Haruka2077
July 3rd, 2003, 07:03 PM
This is a really great Dianic group I used to belong to (had to quit when I pared down my e-mail lists). It's a women-only group but they are very warm and friendly and have a lot to share.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/adianiccoven/

PEBBLES
July 9th, 2003, 11:17 PM
I have always been a daddy's girl and always will be. Still, the Dianic tradition is the spiritual path for me.

TheTownWitch
November 24th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Hi,
I did a search for Dianic and found this thread. Not sure if anyone is stil reading it though.

I am new to MW and have been Dianic for over 10 years now. I follow more closely to the teachings of Z. Budapest.

Ask a hundred people to define the same thing and you will get 100 different answers.

For me the Dianic path is women-only and Goddess-centered. We don't hate men...we are focused on empowering women through Women's Mysteries.

I hope to chat with other Dianic's on this list...since I am new I am just beginning to look around.

Blessed Be!

Morrighan61
December 9th, 2004, 05:49 AM
I was brought into a trad early on that wasn't Wiccan and is mostly Dianic in a sense.

Diana=Tana

It's a mixed trad as the women who taught it to me were a mized bunch. Similar customs from various parts of Europe. Some Strega, some Romany stuff..

"Tana" was the most common name they used for Her though they just as often called Her "Mari" or "Diana" as well.

She has a consort but he's definitely a loving subordinate to her. He's respected and loved as part of the creationary process, but he's a part of HER first.

In that tradition the men know about it, but seldom practice the Craft themselves. It's considered a women's thing, and men are not often encouraged to join in. It's often done right over the kitchen table while the pasta is being put on...You come in from church and put the rosary back on the statue blessing Tana-Mari-Diana as you go...

Now and again a boy will have a gift and be initiated into a coven, but that's unusual, a male Witch.

I came to have a more balanced approach to the male part of Deity. The Wiccan influence, I guess, but I am still mostly practicing this way and I admittedly connect to Her far more easily than I do to Him....

"M"