PDA

View Full Version : help in finding.....

Fairywolf
June 17th, 2003, 01:56 PM
I am in the process of looking for an article my mom told me about. It is about a small perfect human form found fossilized in China. Unfortunately she can't remember where she read it except in a major newspaper. If any one has heard of this or runs across anything can you please let me know thanks.

Regulus
June 17th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Google it.

Fairywolf
June 17th, 2003, 06:55 PM
I spent half the afternoon with my good friend Google but to no avail.

Lunacie
June 17th, 2003, 07:14 PM
I just tried Google.com using "human fossil China" and got several hits. Don't know if any are what you're looking for... but you might try using those key words.

Fairywolf
June 17th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Thanks I will see what it has to offer.

Fairywolf
June 17th, 2003, 07:22 PM
They are the same ones I have been going threw this afternoon. The reason I am so intrested in this article is because my mom said the fossil was about the size that most think fairys are and that it was in perfect conditon. I guess it is the imagination at work but you can never know.

Lunacie
June 17th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Well now I'm curious too. Does this sound like it might be what you're looking for?

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0873336.html
Roundup of Recent Discoveries
Our Tiniest Ancestor
In March 2000, a team of researchers led by Northern Illinois University paleontologist Dan Gebo announced their discovery of the fossil bones of 45-million-year-old monkeylike primates, the smallest primates ever found. The new species, named Eosimias (""dawn monkey""), was discovered in a limestone quarry in eastern China.
Its foot bones are the size of grains of rice, and it weighs less than a dozen paper clips. Yet the miniature ""Dawn Monkey"" could represent an evolutionary link between lower primates and higher primates, a group that includes apes and humans. The structure of its tiny ankle bones suggests that it could walk flat-footed, using all four legs, like advanced primates. Unlike advanced primates, however, it probably ""didn't have a lot of time to be social,"" guesses one scientist. That's because the little animal had to spend most of its time eating to feed its high-speed metabolism——when it wasn't trying to avoid being eaten by bigger creatures. The discovery of this specimen in Asia suggests that our earliest ancestors did not live in Africa alone, as previously thought.
The researchers said that the minute mammals were tree dwellers that relied on a steady diet of insects, fruit, and nectar to fuel their high metabolisms. Unlike contemporary higher primates, the tiny primates likely were nocturnal and solitary creatures.

Tarbh Nathroch
June 18th, 2003, 03:22 AM
I remember that little guy. Ugly as hell. I go look for it.

Well sorry that failed. The place I saw it is now a dead link. It was a really freaky little thing. Read this about two years ago.