PDA

View Full Version : Kabbalah Pathwork

AmbivalentMirage
June 25th, 2003, 10:19 PM
I'd like to start doing "pathwork" involving the Kabbalistic sefirot. By this, I mean, I want to start with Malkuth and one-by-one add elements and characteristics of the sefirot into my personality. I'm not quite sure how or where to start. Does anyone have any book recommendations or website links they could share? :) I'd deeply appreciate it.

Just a note... Aleister Crowley scares me... so if you recommend anything by him, I might run away. ;)

Theres
June 25th, 2003, 10:32 PM
it shouldn't be too hard to Google an appropriate site. but i can give you a good book recommendation or two.

Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki's book Highways of the Mind and it's predecessor The Shining Paths are both very good ways to introduce yourself to pathworking.

but i have to warn you, if you get into this kind of thing deeply, you're going to run across Crowley eventually. no problem though, and no need to be scared (in case you haven't heard, he's dead!).
while the man himself might have been a total prick, his work is essential study for the student of the Hermetic Qabalah. and if you were to read his stuff with the covers torn off (so that it was anonymous), you would probably never have any kind of negative reaction at all.

Rain Gnosis
June 25th, 2003, 10:46 PM
I saw a book recently to that effect called the Aquarian Qabalah but it seems fairly new agey. It's exactly about what you're asking tho so perhaps worth a look - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1842930478/ref%3Dnosim/clavicula/102-4788254-8284922

AmbivalentMirage
June 25th, 2003, 10:53 PM
it shouldn't be too hard to Google an appropriate site. but i can give you a good book recommendation or two.

Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki's book Highways of the Mind and it's predecessor The Shining Paths are both very good ways to introduce yourself to pathworking.

but i have to warn you, if you get into this kind of thing deeply, you're going to run across Crowley eventually. no problem though, and no need to be scared (in case you haven't heard, he's dead!).
while the man himself might have been a total prick, his work is essential study for the student of the Hermetic Qabalah. and if you were to read his stuff with the covers torn off (so that it was anonymous), you would probably never have any kind of negative reaction at all.
LOL... thank you.

Sorry, it's just that pictures of him creep me out and I seriously dislike what I've heard about him. ;)

AmbivalentMirage
June 25th, 2003, 10:54 PM
I saw a book recently to that effect called the Aquarian Qabalah but it seems fairly new agey. It's exactly about what you're asking tho so perhaps worth a look - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1842930478/ref%3Dnosim/clavicula/102-4788254-8284922
Thanks!!! :) *saves the link for when he has some money to buy it*

Aspasia Sariel
June 25th, 2003, 11:47 PM
The Practical Kabbalah Guidebook (Stephen Goldberg) is a nice work, beautiful meditations and thoughts to explore. The Witches Qabalah by Ellen Cannon Reed is also another interesting read, along with A Woman's Kabbalah, by Vivianne Crowley (not what the title seems, good read). Those all have some good guidelines for doing some jumping off pathwork.

Overlooking Crowley's works is going to be hard, as Greenman pointed out, and in all honesty I wouldn't recommend leaving them out. His works have been well worth the read and truly insightful, albeit cynical at times.

Warm Regards,

Xander67
June 26th, 2003, 12:10 AM
LOL... thank you.

Sorry, it's just that pictures of him creep me out and I seriously dislike what I've heard about him. ;)

well, there are a few threads on Crowley, there is even one in the history forum, there are a few people here who know alot about Crowley...

there is nothing to fear of him, or his work..

if you have any questions ask.
here is a link to the thread on Allester Crowley
http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?threadid=8875

here are a few links that will help give you an overview of the Qaballa,
one of them was published in association with the Golden Dawn..its excellent.

http://members.tripod.com/~RobertGillette/Kabbalah.htm
http://www.hermeticgoldendawn.org/Documents/Archives/Unveiled.htm
http://www.crystalinks.com/kabala.html

Rain Gnosis
June 26th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Heck man, I'd fear him, he was a bit of a nutter.

Thing is, he also did some amazing stuff. Difficult to read at times, but fascinating. Best kind of nutter :)

Aequitas
June 26th, 2003, 11:19 AM
his [Crowley] work is essential study for the student of the Hermetic Qabalah.
hmmmm... Not sure if I would go that far, Gman.

Toad
June 26th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Heck man, I'd fear him, he was a bit of a nutter.

Thing is, he also did some amazing stuff. Difficult to read at times, but fascinating. Best kind of nutter :)

There is a lot of truly bogus information about Crowley floating around. I admit that I used to have a lot of hangups with Crowley...until I sat down and read one of his books. Now I am several Crowley books deep and loving it. Something Mol said of Crowley once upon a time really helped...

His arrogance is meant to be taken with a grain of salt, yes.

Once I got this firmly in my head...Crowley became infinetly more readable. Truthly...he is rapidly becoming one of my more favorite authors.

For what its worth...

AmbivalentMirage
June 27th, 2003, 02:13 AM
I may be cured of my Crowley-phobia yet. ;)

Xander67
June 27th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Sometimes, it only takes a spoonfull of Facts.. :)

Toad
June 27th, 2003, 11:47 AM
I may be cured of my Crowley-phobia yet. ;)

AM - I posted this in the Crowley Timeline thread as well. But just in case ya miss it there...

This essay was another pivotal thing in my giving Crowley's work a chance. Opinions may vary with this document...but you read this and decide for yourself what type of person Crowley was. Dont worry its a short one...

Duty by Aleister Crowley (http://www.sekhetbastra.org/duty.html)

amberlaine
June 27th, 2003, 11:55 AM
A really good book on Qabalistic pthworking is "A Garden of Pomegranates" by Israel Regardie and appended by the Ciceros. Now, anyone who nkows me knows I don't usually oput a wohle lot of stock in Hermetic stuff, but this is a very good read, and the pathworking activities in the back are very helpful.

Rain Gnosis
June 27th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Can I ask *why* you don't like Hermetic stuff? Or is it just that studying Hermetic Qabalah lets people miss out on things they wouldn't in Hebraic?

amberlaine
June 27th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Oh, nah, it's not even that. *I* don't go the Hermetic route because I don't find it spiritualloy fulfilling. It's a system that is too far removed from my own experience of G!D for it to be useful to me. A while ago I finally dropped everything from my religious/magical studies that wasn'tdirectly related to my relationship with G!D, and that included most Hermetic stuff. Qabala included. It's not that I don't think it's useful or worthwhile for other people....its just....not at all requisite for my own growth. *shrug*

Xander67
June 27th, 2003, 02:58 PM
I had a really old book on Pathworking, it had a brief intro on the Qaballa, and had a working for each of the paths, there was an illustration to gaze at before going to bed, then the reader would guide the group on a meditation,,, I think i mak have it lingering about, it was published by lewellyn, gee, must be 50 years old or so...

Theres
June 27th, 2003, 03:05 PM
if it was on Llewelyn, it must've been a more current reprint.
i'm not positive, but i don't think Llewelyn Publishing was around 50 years ago.
you don't remember the title, huh?

Xander67
June 27th, 2003, 03:09 PM
ok now i am DEFFINATELY gonna go hunt up the book lol

Xander67
June 27th, 2003, 03:29 PM
I had it out in the Marshmellow in a box LOL
It was itching at me cause i couldnt remember the title LOL

no, it isnt 50 years old, that was an embellishment on my part LOL... I guess the book looks older than it actually is...

the title of the book is
the Llewellyn Inner Guide to Magical States of consciousness...

written by Melita Denning and Osborne Philips
ISBN 0-87542-194-6

there are cassette tapes that accompany it for specific pathworking exercises,(for individual workers) although im not sure if they are still available....

AmbivalentMirage
June 28th, 2003, 03:20 AM
*writes all the ideas down*

I have to admit that I share a lack of appreciation for Hermetic Qabbalah... it's just not my style. ;) However, it's important to learn about things we don't necessarily care for... it helps create healthy brain-synapse connections! ^.^

Xander67
June 28th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Hermetic Qaballa, is a synthesis of other cultures on the original HEbrew Qaballa, (at least thats what ive been led to think) I like to study the Hebrew Qaballa