PDA

View Full Version : my sister

lemming
June 26th, 2003, 02:01 PM
hi.my sister is a pagan......
..........but i'm not...i am very very open minded and accept her...that is why i am here.
its just she hates me for many reasons....but mainly because i used to be a christian.i wasn't a 'bible basher' christian..i didnt go out on streets preaching...but i had different views to my sister.
anyway...i just wondered if there was a rule in paganism that hates all christians..i feeel she is tarring me with the same brush.are christians evil?

and she told me once that she treats animals and humans equally because thats her beliefs(religion). but if she treats them the same....why does she hit me and my mother???
i want to know why she hates me...and what her beliefs are.....

i just want to learn about paganism and her beliefs.

im prob being really stupid..and its me she hates not my religion.

Rhaven
June 26th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Well, I don't know what has been going on between you and your sister... so I can't tell you why she "hates" you, but I can tell you that I am a pagan and I don't hate Christians, some of my best friends are Catholics; I only don't like someone because of the person that he or she is and that has nothing to do with religion!

Maybe you should talk with your sister and tell her what you just posted in this thread....

Hope everything turns out right for you!

Blessings

Rhaven

Kaylara
June 26th, 2003, 03:17 PM
No, There is no rule in paganism that says you should hate all Christians... In fact, there are several rules that say you should treat others as you would like to be treated. I have no idea why she would be hitting you and your mother. Perhaps there are other things going on that she's not telling you about that are stressing her out... If you don't mind my asking, how old is your sister, and how old are you?

Old Witch
June 26th, 2003, 09:29 PM
I love a lot of Christians, If I didn't I wouldn't be married to a Christian, and I wouldn't have any real life friends.........I think your sister is using her path as an excuse to behave badly.....

Most Christians are wonderful loving people, There's just a few "nuts" that get the medias attention..........just the same as Pagans......Jews.........Muslims........

cydira
June 26th, 2003, 09:41 PM
I, for one, am deeply ashamed that this kind of behavior is being associated with us pagan folk. It makes me sad, but I recognize that there isn't much that i can do aside from apologize on the behalf of the individual's supposed beliefs.

I know that alot of folks who become involved with paganism go through a phase where they've a fair amount of anger directed towards their previous religion. Usually, it's christianity, but I've seen it directed towards other mainstream religions also. Often, people will argue that it's because of the oppression of pagans, but I think it's because of some past issues that are being worked through.

This, however, doesn't condone or support your sister's behavior. It may, however, help explain some of it. I can only offer my deepest sympathies that your family is having the difficulties that it is. I assure you, most of us pagan folk are mostly harmless, kind people that just want to live in peace with our Christian neighbors.

:)

Williwaw
June 28th, 2003, 02:26 AM
I, for one, am deeply ashamed that this kind of behavior is being associated with us pagan folk. It makes me sad, but I recognize that there isn't much that i can do aside from apologize on the behalf of the individual's supposed beliefs.

I know that alot of folks who become involved with paganism go through a phase where they've a fair amount of anger directed towards their previous religion. Usually, it's christianity, but I've seen it directed towards other mainstream religions also. Often, people will argue that it's because of the oppression of pagans, but I think it's because of some past issues that are being worked through.
:)

I completely agree. I have to admit I'm guilty of this myself. No hate involved, I'm just very frustrated and rather disgusted by what I was taught in my former religion. So while a little anger toward a persons previous religion is "normal" saying you hate someone because of their choice in religion is not nomal in my opinion. Please don't think that this is a Pagan practice because it's really not. :geez:

Gina

lemming
June 28th, 2003, 03:01 AM
If you don't mind my asking, how old is your sister, and how old are you?
sure...i'm 17 and my sister is 21.
we haven't spoken for ages and she wont 'let me in'. i have had mental health problems and she hasn't taken to well to these.maybe she feels left out, because i have been in hospital and had to be taken places. i just want to know what she thinks and what she feels. i would like to learn about paganism...because i am completly in the dark. she told me that she is 'ashamed' of me and that i am 'discusting'.

on reflection...could it be that because i self-harm she doesnt like me....that because im harming myself it bothers her...

i dont know... im beginning to lose hope

SylverStar
June 28th, 2003, 06:33 AM
I wouldn't lose hope. I do however think there are alot of issues that need to be worked out in your family. It sounds like you are on the right track. But has your sister had any couseling or anger management classes. It sounds like she has a lot of issues to work out that have nothing to do with you. She just happens to take it out on you because you are or were close. Just an opinion, but I've been in a family that has been dysfunctional since before I was born. Just be happy with yourself and continue to love here and maybe her views will change.

WillowSageheart
June 28th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Paganism encompasses so many different religious paths. Which path has your sister chosen? I am not aware of any paths that condone physical violence for the sake of punishment or hatred. As a matter of fact, all the pagans I know are pretty anti-violence advocates.

If you want to learn about Paganism, you are in the right place. This forum is filled with so many different types of paths that you will learn quite a bit. Sounds like your sister could learn a little bit as well.

I personally have no qualms about striking out in self defense or in defense of a loved one, however I would never strike out otherwise to physically hurt someone. And in my own opinion, anyone that would do such a thing has some serious issues that they need to deal with. You can't fix your sister's problems, only she can.

I wish you luck in learning, and most of all luck in getting your family back together again, if it is possible.

Edited to add, there are some women that I do not like, and some men I do not like. Some are Christian, some Catholic, some Jewish, and yes, some Pagan. It usually has nothing to do with religion at all... unless someone is openly trying to convert me after I have asked them to stop. I have never heard of a Pagan rule to hate Christians, when in fact it is widely proclaimed to respect everyone's chosen path. If your sister is using this as her reason then she is either on a path I have never heard of, or just making it up.

materra
July 7th, 2003, 02:34 PM
sure...i'm 17 and my sister is 21.
we haven't spoken for ages and she wont 'let me in'. i have had mental health problems and she hasn't taken to well to these.maybe she feels left out, because i have been in hospital and had to be taken places. i just want to know what she thinks and what she feels. i would like to learn about paganism...because i am completly in the dark. she told me that she is 'ashamed' of me and that i am 'discusting'.

on reflection...could it be that because i self-harm she doesnt like me....that because im harming myself it bothers her...

i dont know... im beginning to lose hope

Lemming, hang in there. As for for your mental health condition, well lots of the folks on this site suffer from mental health concerns too. We discuss freely about medications and issues that worry us. Those of us with the energy and abilities encourage and pray for our friends. It has nothing to do with our religion, but with our human kindness and abilities to empathize. Some people have a hard time with empathy. Or compassion. Some families have a difficult time admitting things are wrong and finding solutions. Often Blame is easier to assign than to figure out how we can help someone. You don't need to absorb more blame. I hope you will find healing instead.

If you are a "cutter", or do self injurious things it is important to get mental health counseling so you don't inadvertantly do yourself an injury you don't really intend. It is hard for anyone to deal with bad feelings, our anger or hurt about our lives. Some of us have had better examples and learned to cope better. Some have not. Gather all the coping skills you can, talk to your therapist, or community MH workers. Find someone you feel comfortable with and that makes you feel stronger and more empowered. Learn what you can and move on. You may never change your sister's attitude. But you can get help and change your life for the better. Best wishes to you.