PDA

View Full Version : Hepburn's star still burns bright

mol
July 1st, 2003, 09:47 AM
If all goes as planned, Broadway lights will dim at 8 tonight, a tribute to the loss of Katharine Hepburn, whose star burned bright with both talent and grace.

Hepburn, who became one of the country's most revered actors, died Sunday at the age of 96 after a long and storied career. Her star was bright enough to illuminate a screen or stage, but she was a living monument to feminism. She demanded independence in an era when actors -- male or female -- were cowed by a studio system that stomped it. Hepburn's outspoken independence manifested itself even in her choice of attire. She made slacks for women popular. She shunned high heels.

Later in her life, she would comment that she supported the aims of feminists but resented the notion that movement leaders believed they were the first to espouse those ideals.

http://www.statesman.com/opinion/content/auto/epaper/editions/tuesday/editorial_f310339c054cb0a8009d.html

MammaStar
July 1st, 2003, 11:10 AM
This morning on the local news, they did say that the lights will dim. I'm sure tonite they'll show the pics of it. I've heard that flowers and candles have covered her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

It's so sad, yet, she lived such an extraordinary life and now she can be with Spencer.

WtchyChick13
July 1st, 2003, 08:37 PM
It's been so amazing watching the many tributes to this absolutely fabulous woman. They even did a sports tribute to her the other nite because of her outstanding athleticism.

My aunt who is now 76, still looks exactly like Ms. Hepburn when she was in her 20's. Still putting her hair in the same pin curls every nite and still has those amazingly high cheekbones that Ms. Hepburn herself was famous for.

Not only was the Great Kate my mother's hero, but I think her death reminded her also that her oldest sister is and always will embody the remarkable beauty that we all fell in love with in Ms. Hepburn.

My hope is that she and Spencer are finally together and will relish in the love that they had for each other--I know we were all the better for having loved the both of them.

WtchyChick13
July 3rd, 2003, 07:46 PM
Just a note:

AMC is doing an all night tribute to Miss Kate tonite and I believe that TNT will be doing a 24 hour tribute as well.