PDA

View Full Version : No sex...for millions of years!

mol
July 2nd, 2003, 09:55 AM
"In barstool speculation on how long it's possible for someone to survive without sex, the phrases "old fossil" and "a million years" certainly do turn up. However—meaning no disrespect to snubbed Homo sapiens—our species doesn't even register in the scientific version of the debate. In this, there are genuine geologic fossils. And a million years? Forget it. The species attracting interest now look as if they may not have had sex for tens, or even hundreds, of millions of years.

Yes, there really is a scientific version of the barroom lament, and it's a serious inquiry. Biologists have long held that asexuality is an evolutionary dead end because sex purges the genes of detrimental mutations, provides the genetic variation for coping with environmental change or both. But new methods of genetic analysis are suggesting that certain groups of species have avoided sex and still have done quite well over the eons, thank you very much."

http://www.sciencenews.org/20030628/bob7.asp

DayDreamer
July 2nd, 2003, 10:23 AM
I've survived for 2-1/2 months. I'll let you know how much longer I can survive without sex before I spontaneously combust!

Ahautenites
July 2nd, 2003, 10:49 AM
26 years, 11 days....

Ravens_Tears
July 2nd, 2003, 10:54 AM
26 years, 11 days....

But, but that's voluntarily! Not that my last 2 years hasn't been voluntary either...
:sadeyes:

Ahautenites
July 2nd, 2003, 11:00 AM
**laughs mirthlessly** I'd say it's only been voluntary because the three that have ever been interested in me were mental and genetic rejects. I mean... who drives up to a total stranger at a bus stop and says can I take you home? And clearly means *his* home. (There was a prostitute in my old city that looked like me. Wasn't me, but looked like me enough that I was propositioned twice.)

Ahautenites
July 2nd, 2003, 11:02 AM
As to the article itself, it was a fascinating read. Lots of big words, though. ;) (Everybody repeat after me: "AN-TAHN VAHN LAY-ven-HOOK." :p )

Ravens_Tears
July 2nd, 2003, 11:12 AM
**laughs mirthlessly** I'd say it's only been voluntary because the three that have ever been interested in me were mental and genetic rejects. I mean... who drives up to a total stranger at a bus stop and says can I take you home? And clearly means *his* home. (There was a prostitute in my old city that looked like me. Wasn't me, but looked like me enough that I was propositioned twice.)

:lol:

You haven't seen the "people" I've dated hun... But I've actually had the bus-stop propositions before too (points down at her sig...) kind of nice to know I'm not the only one.. http://www.mysticwicks.com/images/smilies2/hug.gif

Ahautenites
July 2nd, 2003, 11:16 AM
**laughs** Good point. I love your signature.

DayDreamer
July 2nd, 2003, 11:21 AM
Hey, my 2-1/2 months is NOT voluntary by any means. Sigh. Some great sex would go a long way toward improving my mood :D

Ahautenites
July 2nd, 2003, 11:22 AM
Here, here!

Ben Trismegistus
July 2nd, 2003, 01:31 PM
26 years, 11 days....

Admirable. Not many of you folk left. :)

Ahautenites
July 2nd, 2003, 01:40 PM
Why does this not make me feel any better? **sardonic expression**

WitchJezebel
July 2nd, 2003, 01:45 PM
I just got off a 3 1/2 year hiatus; half of which was voluntary the other half... well lets just say I'm with Raven and the Flypaper for Freaks sig.

Oh and btw, I'm in a REAL good mood now... See the grin? :D

WitchJezebel
July 2nd, 2003, 01:47 PM
Why does this not make me feel any better? **sardonic expression**

Nothing wrong with that, you be proud of yourself; I shouldn't have started at the age I did...

mol
July 2nd, 2003, 02:14 PM
You know...I knew it.

I post cool science stuff in here every day that goes pretty much completely unnoticed. But, mention sex in the title and everyone starts jumping on it.

Ahautenites
July 2nd, 2003, 02:18 PM
**has a fit of giggles** Oh, Mol.... if you're going to be at Wanderer and PB's wedding, we're all going to have to go to Texas Roadhouse. Inevitably, the conversation gets outrageous (because it always eventually involves teasing about sex-related topics of conversation).

mol
July 2nd, 2003, 02:21 PM
lmao..

MammaStar
July 2nd, 2003, 02:44 PM
hey SEX is fun to talk about ;)

my longest was a year and that wasn't voluntary either. Can you say B***H on wheels? :lol:

Ben Trismegistus
July 2nd, 2003, 03:07 PM
You know...I knew it.

I post cool science stuff in here every day that goes pretty much completely unnoticed. But, mention sex in the title and everyone starts jumping on it.

Your point? ;)

mol
July 2nd, 2003, 03:16 PM
Your point? ;)
:bangyourh

Ahautenites
July 2nd, 2003, 03:18 PM
So.... anyone going to come back in their next life as an asexual Giardia species? Me, I think I wanna come back as a hydra. :D Then, I'd never be lonely because I'd always have buddies. :T (That was bad. That was really bad, even for me.)

Aspasia Sariel
July 2nd, 2003, 06:27 PM
Then, I'd never be lonely because I'd always have buddies. :T (That was bad. That was really bad, even for me.)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
No, no I LOVED it! Practically spat soda all over my screen when I read it!

Xentor
July 6th, 2003, 06:07 PM
A living insect species once thought not to have male forms, for example, turned out to include males that were perfectly functional but very, very tiny.

Some members of our own species can be very, very tiny too. Still, we survive.

Now, what's Anton van Leeuwenhoek got to do with this? (Do English speakers really pronounce his name like that, NeferSesemet? I always found his name perfectly normal...) My fellow countryman who invented the microscope, performed biological experiments on cells, muscles fibres, bacteria, spermatozoa and blood flow in capillaries (and some other subjects).

Here's a link:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_van_Leeuwenhoek

shiloki
July 6th, 2003, 11:13 PM
(Do English speakers really pronounce his name like that, NeferSesemet? I always found his name perfectly normal...)

actually...most english speakers, upon first seeing that name, would probably pronounce it something like this:

LEE-YOU-whatthef***???? :geez:

Ahautenites
July 6th, 2003, 11:32 PM
**giggles hysterically** That was almost *exactly* how I pronounced it the first time I saw it, shiloki.

Xentor
July 7th, 2003, 03:08 PM
I thought Lion-oak or Lion-hook (lit. translation) would be nice pronounciations, I guess. But hey, no-one ever said Dutch was an easy language ;)

Azure
July 9th, 2003, 03:06 PM
I always speculate that I've spent all my past lives as a courtesan *laughs*