PDA

View Full Version : lets talk dieties...

Lyra
February 12th, 2001, 11:37 AM
In this thread I would like us all to share our experiences, questions, poems or visions of the Egyptian dieties...Then we can wxchange ideas..I would also like to know what ind of classes or things ou would like on Egyptian craft...Lets grab the old soccer ball and run with it....lol..MA'AT

mol
February 13th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Ill roll the ball...

What is MA'AT ?

Rosabelle
February 13th, 2001, 11:49 AM
i sorry mol, i don't know who Ma'at is, but my favourite Egyptian deity HAS to be Thoth the scribe.
when i was 8 i did a little project on him at school and ever since then, he has fascinated me and i admire him because he has such an important job!!
Rosabelle

Lyra
February 13th, 2001, 07:08 PM
Hi Mol,
MA'AT means truth..I use it as a sign off and a greeting..It means what I tell ou has truth or worth..It is an old custom that I have..MAAT is also a goddess of the Egyptian Pantheon associated with truth and justice . her primary role was one of the weigher of the heart in death..She or should I say truth and justice would weigght the heart of the deceased..If found lacking these qualities then the deceased was destroyed and could not enter into the afer life..Her symbol is the feather...

mol
February 13th, 2001, 07:56 PM
If the persons heart weighed more than the feather then they could pass...but if the feather weighed more then they were devoured...

correct?

Rosabelle
February 16th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by mol
If the persons heart weighed more than the feather then they could pass...but if the feather weighed more then they were devoured...

correct?
i thought it was the other way around. if the feather weighed more then you went to paradise and the after life but if the heart weiged more, you were eaten by this thing which was one third crocodile, one third hippo and 1 third lion
is that right?
Rosabelle

Lyra
February 17th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Hi Folks,
I have tried 3 times to post so here goes,,If at death the heart weighed more than the feather tthen the oerson passed into the afterlife..If not his heart was devoured as the Egyptians believed the Ka or soul resided in the heart,,
I have had one request for my temple meditation poem..If anyone else is interested let me know..Also will whoever wanted it please email me again..thanks
A meditation to hear the Gods is fairly easy,,,Set up your alter in the east the quarter for knowledge and inspiration..Light a candle in the darken room..Have a picture of the deity in front of you and begin your meditation with 3 cleansing breaths,,Focus your mund on the deity and reach out with your heart chakra to touch the god...Meditate quietly and truely listen you may be able to hear the god speaking to you,,,after a time about 45 min..thank the god and retire for the night...very often the deity will talk to you in a dream..keep a notebook by the bed to rexord ant visions or insites you may have gotten in your dream....
MA'AT

mol
February 18th, 2001, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Lyra
Hi Folks,
I have tried 3 times to post so here goes,,

Sorry for the OT post here..but I dont know what was going on with your postings...what was the screen doing when you tried to post? Did it give you a message?

Lyra
February 18th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Mol,
Have you looked at the dates for the postings,,on the postings themselves it says 1969 for the year...lol..living in the past are we?..I was a freshman in High School...it was the year girls first got to wear pants to school..Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones Passed on..I think Hendrix and Joplin were already dead..Man first walked on the moon and it was two years before Jim Morrison died....lol
Hugs, Gee aka Lyra

mol
February 18th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Yah...that is only on the old posts though...the old board had a huge bug that i never could figure out... ;)

BrightStar
February 19th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Hi all!
Hey Lyra,Hendrix and Joplin were still alive in '69.They died in1970.(:
Peace and Love
Rain BrightStar

Lyra
February 21st, 2001, 12:46 PM
Hi folks..Let us really begin our discussion with the Goddess IsIs,,She is believed to be from the Nubian area of Egypt..She is one of the oldest Mother/Magic Goddess in the world...She is often represented as a winged female figure..Her worship was at one time not only spread thru Egypt and Nubia but also in Sinai,Greece and even Rome...There are even reports of her worship into India and Early China,,,She is the most familiar Egyptian Goddess and she carried many roles..That of Queen of Heaven, consort, mother, Mistress of Magic, Divine Mother and Lover,...There is a legend that had Ra very angry with early man..He wanted to destroy man and start the earth anew..Isis felt for the children of the earth and so to change Ra's mind and quell his anger she danced naked before Ra and all the gods..So beautiful was her face and body and her dance that Ra forgot his anger and allowed the children of the earth to survive..For this role she was given the title Divine Dancer before the face of Ra...
MA'AT..
Anything to add pleasse do!..BB

Shatav
February 23rd, 2001, 09:42 PM
Yinepu/Anubis is my Father, my spiritual Egyptian name being Sat-Yinepu, Daughter of Anubis, and I'd like to share my story of him in my life.

When Anubis first came to me, I was very lost in the shadows of my own existence. I was in college and diagnosed with a bi-polar dysfunction. My pit of depression had taken me further into the chaos of the unknown than I could possibly handle and was contemplating suicide. As I sat in bed, thinking of how to end my struggles through the shadows, he appeared, standing in my room, his head cocked to one side to look at me. His first word to me was, "Hi!" He was formal in appearance, but his greeting was friendly and open. I was so shocked by the vision that I completely forgot about my ideas of suicide and focused on what he had to say. He told me that he was there to guide me, as I'd become quite lost on my life path. He told me that he has known my soul for a long time and that it was time that he reintroduce himself to me and help me find my way.

From there our relationship blossomed and he became a good friends, as well as a trusted guide. He was always there when I was scared and felt lost or angry. He has never left my side, but has aided me with gentle guidence, for which I am eternally grateful. Whenever I call to him, he appears, telling me what he can (as some truths even deities are not allowed to share) to help me find my own way through life.

A side that Anubis has shown me, is the playful side of God. He is not always serious, in fact, he only wishes to be serious when it is absolutely necessary. He is always there to make me laugh, especially when I am angry or sad. But this is also a part of his guidence for me. He knows that I take life much too seriously and that I allow things to affect me far too often. To try and balance this, he is showing me the importance of laughter and fun and that not all things need to be treated as if they are the most important thing in life. Anubis wishes me to know that fun is also a part of life, and something that I need to learn how to balance with my intergrity and analytical eye.

Anubis' message to me: We are all important in life and our paths are not always clear. When the shadows start to encroach on our soul, it is time to listen to Deity, let them show you the way and laugh at the mistakes you may make. We are only human after all.

Shatav
February 23rd, 2001, 09:49 PM
You are the light
You hold the candle
Even through the darkness
You always shine bright

Your footsteps glow
Your path as fire
We step on the coals
Your love protecting us from harm

We walk with you
We stride with purity
You show us the bright way
We are the vessels of your love

You are birth
You are death
We live in the circle you create
You light the way

We must listen
We must learn
You open our ears and hearts
We have but to follow

You are perfect
You are endless
We are your creations
You shine through us

--Shatav

Naillosotarrain
February 26th, 2001, 06:17 AM
This is my first post ever so please bear with me. As for the feather and heart philosophy, you guys are reversing it every which way and that. Here it is.

If the Ka(Spirit body) is lighter(full of goodness) than the feather, then you pass on to the afterlife; however, if the Ka is heavier(full of melevoleance) than the feather, then it is devoured whole by Set.

As for the discussion of Egyptian Deities; which Triad, Ogdoad, Ennead, or Cosmogony would you like to start with since the views of the Egyptian dieties varied from dynasty to dynasty, as well as in both Upper(South) and Lower(North) Egypt.

Yvonne Belisle
February 26th, 2001, 11:51 AM
It's a great first post Honey:D I waited till you were asleep to post this I know you will find a lot of great friends here. Plus they will know more about this than I do I have to research all of it they already have started. :)

Your House Mouse :D

mol
February 26th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Naillosotarrain
This is my first post ever so please bear with me. As for the feather and heart philosophy, you guys are reversing it every which way and that. Here it is.

If the Ka(Spirit body) is lighter(full of goodness) than the feather, then you pass on to the afterlife; however, if the Ka is heavier(full of melevoleance) than the feather, then it is devoured whole by Set.

As for the discussion of Egyptian Deities; which Eniad or Cosmogony would you like to start with since the views of the Egyptian dieties varied from dynasty to dynasty, as well as in both Upper(South) and Lower(North) Egypt.

Thank you for clearing that all up for everyone...and as for where to start...

Just start a new thread and start where your heart leads you and you will be followed.

Welcome!

Naillosotarrain
February 26th, 2001, 02:54 PM
A list of some of the Egyptian deities:

Amaunet - A female counterpart to Amon and one of the Primordial Gods of the Hermopolitian Ogdoad (group of eight gods). She was also worshipped at Thebes along with Amon and Mut.

Amon - Usually associated with the wind, or things hidden, and was also of the Hermopolitian Ogdoad. At Thebes he became Amon-Re, King of the Gods. He was part of the Theban Triad, along with Mut and Khonsu.

Antaios - He was originally a double god, "The Two Falcons," that was later joined to create one, probably that of Horus.

Anuket - Worshipped at Elephantine, she was associated with the gazelle.

Aris - Seen as the bull with a solar disk between his horns, Aris was associated with Osiris and Ptah.

Aton - Also known as Aten, he was worshipped at Tell' Amarna.

Atum - A Primordial God that was represented in the form of a human and a serpent. He was the Supreme God in the Heliopolitan Ennead(group of nine gods) and formed with Re to create Re-Atum.

Hathor - The godess of love, dance and alcohol was depicted as a cow. At Thebes she was also the godess of the dead. She was worshipped at Dendera as the consort of Horus and Edfu, and was associated with Isis and Byblos.

Horus - The earliest royal god was the shape of a falcon, with the sun and moon at his eyes. The sky god was the ruler of the day. The many forms of Horus are; Re-Harakhti, Harsiesis, Haroesis, Haredotes, Khenti-Irti, Khentekhtay (the crocodile god), and Harmakhis, which is Horus on the horizons, in which the Sphinx of Giza is considered to be his aspect.

Isis - The mother of Horus and sister and consort of Osiris was worshipped at Philae. Associated with Astarte, Hathor, Nut and Sothis, she was later worshipped over the entire Roman Empire.

Knum - Resembling a human with a ram's head, he was worshipped in Hypselis, Esna, Antinoe and Elephantine.

Khonsu - The moon god was the son of Amon and Mut. The main temple at Karnak is dedicated to him.

Min - God of fertility coalesced with Amon and Horus. Min was mainly worshipped at Coptos and Akhmim.

Mut - Worshipped at Thebes, she was a consort of Amon and part of the Theban Triad (group of three gods).

Nut - Mother of the sun, moon and heavenly bodies.

Osiris - He is regarded as the dead king that watches over the netherworld and is rejuvenated in his son Horus. As the symbol of eternal life he was worshipped at Abydos and Philae.

Ptah - Worshipped in Memphis, he coalesced with Sokaris and Osiris.

Re - He was the sun god of Heliopolis. From the fifth dynasty onwards he became a national god and is combined with the supreme deity Amon.

Serapis - He was mainly worshipped in Alexandria and was later worshipped by the Greeks as Zeus. He was never fully accepted by the Egyptians in the Ptolemaic Period.

Sekhmet - She was part of the Memphite Triad with Ptah and Nefertem. She was the mistress of war and sickness.

Set - The son of Geb and Nut in the Heliopolitan Ennead was in the form of an animal that has no zoological equivelant. This powerful god was regarded as god of the desert, making him a god of foreign lands.

Shu - He was an ancient cosmic power and was regarded as the god of the air and the bearer of heaven.

Sobek - He was a crocodile god and was worshipped at the Faiyum and and Ombos. During the Middle Kingdom he coalesced with Re, Sobek-Re, and was worshipped as Primordial Deity and Creator-God.

Thoth - He was worshipped as a baboon in Hermopolis. he was the god of sacred writings and wisdom.

mol
February 26th, 2001, 02:56 PM
To get a bold font use a [ instead of a <

:D

Naillosotarrain
February 26th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Thanks ... I'm used to the old CGI message boards ... never used a PHP one before.

mol
February 26th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Thanks ... I'm used to the old CGI message boards ... never used a PHP one before.

Yah... :D

NP.

If you would want to co-moderate this forum I think we could work something out...

What do you think? Our current mod doesnt have a lot of time, but she tries to make it here as often as possible.

Naillosotarrain
February 26th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Well, Egyptology is one of my stronger subjects.

mol
February 26th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Well, Egyptology is one of my stronger subjects.

Well, its totally up to you...it would be basically what you are doing now...I could email you some private details..

Naillosotarrain
February 26th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Sounds good.

Tigerwallah
March 2nd, 2001, 09:35 AM
Lyra, I recently learned that Isis was also worshipped in England. There is a temple dedicated to Isis on the Thames, and an alter in Chester.

Shatav
March 2nd, 2001, 08:00 PM
kewl! :cool:

Dragonmother
March 18th, 2001, 09:51 PM
http://www.couldshecool.com/oldgoddess/hathor3.htm
Sorry, guys, I'm totally fatigued at the moment, but I'll be back for discussion...

adrian
March 24th, 2001, 01:19 AM
Greetings All!
There seems to be a lot of different opinions about the weighing of the heart against the feather of Maat or truth and justice.
In the book: From Fetish to God in Ancient Egypt
By- E.A.Wallis Budge
The heart is weighed against the feather of Maat but the scale should not tip either way lest the heart is found to out weigh the law and so is deviored and the feather should not out weigh the heart lest the law was being harsh ( i think).
In any case the scale was not suppose to move in any direction. I hope we can come some conclusion on this matter but then maybe we should start some type of research study group or something.

woodencat
March 24th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Tigerwallah
Lyra, I recently learned that Isis was also worshipped in England. There is a temple dedicated to Isis on the Thames, and an alter in Chester.

That's interesting - I didn't know that there was a temple on the thames - although I kind of recall it :confused: :)
I'm in London..where abouts is it - if you know..
Thanks

woodencat
March 24th, 2001, 06:26 PM
I am just really beginning my true journey of discovery on the ancient Egyptian Deities. I have posted a new thread regarding books, as I would really be interested to know about anyones recommendations regarding any good Egyptian Deity texts that they may have encountered
:)

I wonder if anyone would like to discuss Bast?
I've been reading - but would like to hear others views on her.

thanx

Tigerwallah
March 24th, 2001, 10:52 PM
Woodencat,
I have no clue where it is exactly. I found a reference to it in "When God Was a Woman" by Merlin Stone. The book was written in the 60's or 70's. So, who knows if it is still standing.

woodencat
March 26th, 2001, 08:46 PM
Thanks Tigerwallah..

I'm looking into it now... though I have a feeling that all that remains...are the remains.

:D Thanks

Sophie14
April 14th, 2001, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Dragonmother
http://www.couldshecool.com/oldgoddess/hathor3.htm
Sorry, guys, I'm totally fatigued at the moment, but I'll be back for discussion...

Hey, Dragonmother!

I was freaked out when I found a link here to my website. Then I realized it was you! Now I really have to get back to work on the site. I'm embarassed; I haven't done anything with it since last June. I'm very comfy, BTW, with the osage orange. You do make nice toys.

Hi, gentlefolk. I've looked around the boards here a couple of times and been intrigued. This is my first post.

Hathor is an ancient Goddess. Four cow heads appear on the Palette of Narmer circa 2800 BCE. She was worshipped from Nubia to Byblos, where she was associated with Astarte. (Kali is her cousin.) At the end of the Dynastic Period, Isis assumed many of her characteristics--and the story about dancing in front of Ra. Hathor danced--and flashed her old man!--before she went out and tried to destroy humanity. This is similar to the story of Baubo flashing Demeter when she was grieving for Persephone. "Baubo" means "frog" and she may be linked to a very old Egyptian Goddess Heqat. But I digress. . .

Hathor is closely linked with the Goddess Maat. Her inebriety is balanced by Maat's order. She rules without a consort. There is Ra, her father, and her sons, Horus and Ihy, but she is married to no God--which might be one reason why she was replaced by Isis in more patriarchal times. The Egyptians sometimes claimed there were Seven Hathors, who bestowed seven souls upon newborn children--possibly the basis for our fairy godmothers.

I belong to Hathor. When I serve her very formally, I address her as Hathor Quadrifom: that is, The Wild Red Cow of the North, the Golden One of the East, Mistress of Nubia in the South, Lady of the Sycamores in the West. She is a living Goddess. I also serve her as Hot Patootie, the Mistress of Rock 'n Roll. (Any Rocky Horror fans here?)

This is probably far more than anyone wanted to know about Hathor.

Sophie

SahuaDjet
April 15th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Em Hotep,
I see Wesir when ever I mediate and he has influenced me to learn about Egyptians. Although I dont know much as of yet I am learning! :)

sun and sand,
Sahu Djet