PDA

View Full Version : The Rainbow Bridge Pet Loss Support Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Ahautenites
July 10th, 2003, 01:01 PM
January 4th of 2002 was the worst day of my life, because it's the day my beloved cockatiel tika died. I had treated him as the child of my heart, and the loss of him was devastating.

So, in memory of him, here's a thread for all of our furry, feathery, scaly children who have passed on. Please feel free to share your grief here, write wonderful anecdotes about all the things they did that made you smile and laugh, and all the times they just seemed to know that you needed them there.

Because it helped me so much, I wanted to post it here....

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown..

Also, visit PetLoss.com (http://www.petloss.com) for more information on coping with the loss of your special friend. (It's also where I found this copy of The Rainbow Bridge.)

Ahautenites
July 22nd, 2003, 02:13 PM
This was something that was billed as Unknown on the wall of the guest bathroom in my house. I saw it there and thought that people could use a reminder here.

~ I Am Not There, I Did Not Die ~

Do not stand beside my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow;
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain;
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circling flight;
I am the soft star that shines at night.

Do not stand beside my grave and cry.
I am not there. I did not die.

~~~ Mary E.Frye, 1932 ~~~

I Am Not There (http://www.paganpasttimes.com/ranascove/poems/iamnotthere.html)

Phoenix Blue
July 22nd, 2003, 02:25 PM
**Soft smile and hugs Ses** Thanks, hon.

Ahautenites
July 22nd, 2003, 03:05 PM
**hugs back** It's been instrumental in my own healing process, so I figured everyone else should be able to have access to it in their times of need, too.

LadyOak
July 22nd, 2003, 03:13 PM
That is beautiful! Thanks for posting it

Danustouch
July 22nd, 2003, 04:05 PM
I've always loved that second poem, Nef. Thanks for posting it.

Sky_SilverRain
July 22nd, 2003, 04:19 PM
Rainbow Bridge written on a card was given to me when my childhood puppy died. I then pulled it back up when my kitten (Fraggle) died a few weeks back...

As for the second one; that was on my grandfathers funeral card... so they both touched me deeply! Thank you for sharing

lovemy1dane
August 3rd, 2003, 08:09 AM
Thank you for posting both of those poems my family is finding a little peace in our loss because of them.

Flar's Freyja
August 19th, 2003, 05:27 PM
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

Kali,

We must have been special to you because you adopted us. Play in the meadow, chase your butterflies. Thank you for choosing my heart to break.

8-19-03

Ahautenites
August 19th, 2003, 06:43 PM
**belatedly lights a taper candle for the great dane**

**lights another taper candle, and a smaller votive candle for Kali and her babies**

magic_promises
August 21st, 2003, 01:36 PM
I believe that this poem appears in the cat protection magazine and as a veterinary nurse it is one of the most heart warming poems i have ever read and when ever i have to inform and owner they beloved pet has died or i write to them i quote this poem. i find it helps and it helps me deal with my job and the heartach i feel. If i can offer advice to anyone you are alway welcome to msg me.

mysticforest
October 3rd, 2003, 10:43 AM
It has been exactly a week today that my beloved newfoundland passed away. He was just not a family pet but like a child . It was very hard for my three little girls, they still don't understand. Even though we all are hurting,a blessed thing happened this week. We came home the other day and found a beautiful german shepard on our porch, he is about 2 years old.It seems he has been in the area for a couple of weeks, no one will claim him. We have called all over our area and to all the veternarian offices. They were able to give us a list of names of people who own male shepards. None of them are missing one. We had him checked for a tatoo or chip but there was nothing. He has made himself at home. He won't leave. He stands guard over our home during the day and night, he even wouldn't let the ups guy up onto the porch. He is wonderful with my kids and so gentle. No one seems to know were he came from , he had no collar or tags and looked like he had been not taken care of for a while. where we live is know as a drop off for unwanted animals. I really believe that he was sent to our home because we needed him but also because he needed a loving home and family. We have talked to the human society and the pound, they had been trying to catch him for awhile but now that he is with a good family and if they or a pound had picked him up he would be adopted out. But since he is already with a loving him he can stay with us. It is amazing how things work out. I believe my newfie was looking out for us, and really isn;t gone but still protecting his family. :hehehehe:
:boing:

I just wanted to say that even though we have a new family member, we will always love and miss our newfie.

Ahautenites
October 3rd, 2003, 10:46 AM
**hugs** My condolences on your loss but I'm glad you have a new family member. I think you're right. I think animals in good homes that pass on look do out for their beloved families, and that they also do send other animals in need of good homes our way.

magic_promises
October 10th, 2003, 08:59 AM
my heart goes out to you for your loss, i have heard of many examples of this from cats comming to comfort the families of the grieveing maybe stying for 1-2 days then leaving, to cats sitting on graves of other animals or even groups of cats sitting in a garden where one has died. i have no doubt that animals comunicate and maybe in some way know when there time is near and ask just as we would for otherrs to watch and take care of us. i feel this is what you have experienced and that in some way this new dog was asked to care and look out for you maybe this had to be arranged before your other dog left for the otherr side afterr all many dogs see therre roll as a protector. i hope the new dog brings you much happiness and he will never replace your lost love but be unique in his own way and i am sure you will love him just as much.

DragonLove
October 10th, 2003, 10:30 AM
He was just a big 'ole doofus and my only "son" for 11 years. He passed in May, 2003.

Semnae
November 20th, 2003, 05:49 AM
Thank you for posting that.

I'm usually a lurker but due to the recent...Monday (the 17th) morning recent...death of my 6 year old cat I just wanted to post and say thanks. It really helped a lot.

Hoppy was a grey and white dsh feral kitty that i adopted 5 years ago. She was exposed to distemper as a kitten and thus walked like a drunk, using her tail as a rutter. She was the sweetest critter you would ever want to meet, as long as you were her type of person. If you weren't, she's ignore you till you were blue in the face. Every day when i'd come home from work she would instantly run down from the bedroom where she had slept all day and would procede to entwine herself around my legs, inevitably tripping me.
Every night, all I would have to do was say "it's night-night time." and she would run, stumbling up the stairs and then sit on the landing, glaring, demanding to know why I was taking so long.
A strictly indoor cat, she had no interest in ever being outside again. She would sit on the box beneith the window and watch the birds play. She was an amazingly loving companion for having been feral.

The reasons for her death are unknown. The vet did the necropsy but no causes were found. Some suspicious looking samples are being sent to a lab but even then we (my housemate/bestfriend and I) might not have any answers as to why she died so suddenly.
She was perfectly heatlhy and happy an hour before her death, chasing shoe-laces and murping.

It was a shock and I'm still in that blank period. At least I've stopped crying every hour. Now it's only every 6. :)

Thanks again for the poem. It really helped.

zakzekezedd
November 21st, 2003, 03:20 PM
Well, I had to part with two of my "old men" on Nov 13. Buster was with me for 16 years from the time he was a scrawny, ugly bowlegged bit of a kitten who claimed me in the park in Tulsa, and Bailey was with me for 15 years from the day he cadged his way into my heart from a humane society cage. They were both ill, and the bad days far outnumbered the good ones so I made the kindest decision I could. I miss them terribly, but I know they are in a place now where old age, disease, and pain no longer have any hold over them..........

FaeFollower
December 15th, 2003, 11:42 PM
Thank you for posting this, NeferSesemet. :) My rat died three days ago, and I've been crying all weekend. I certainly miss my little shoulder warmer! Those posts really made me feel better. :)

Old Witch
December 16th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Condolences on the loss of your rat.......

StarryDancer
December 24th, 2003, 03:44 PM
My youngest geriatric cat, Micro (aka Mike, aka Fluggy, aka Mat) passed away two weeks ago today, at the age of 13. I was there the day he was born -- in a barn, of a barn Tabby mom and Maine Coon dad. He was gorgeous, with long white and black fur, beautiful yellow eyes, and a magnificent tail.

Alas, when we moved to New Hampshire, his chronic renal failure became terminal. He lost control of everything, and was finally unable to eat. The night he died, I looked at him where he was lying and just started to cry. Somehow I knew there was no more trying left in him. So I picked him up and cuddled him, and told him how much I would miss him, but that it was ok for him to go on over that Rainbow Bridge. My husband then took a turn and did the same thing, then handed him back to me. I wrapped him in a warm outgrown jacket of mine that he had always loved to sleep on, and held him for a while longer. He seemed to lose consciousness then, so I put him down on the floor in his favorite sleep spot. He never moved from there. When we came down in the morning, he was dead.

Back in the spring, we had rescued a kitten from death by dumpster at the age of three weeks. Ricochet was bottle-fed for a full month before she would switch to solid food. She had targeted Fluffy as the one of our four cats that she would pursue and try to play with, and she moped a bit for a day after he died. But she is fine again now, and truthfully, though four cats is at least one too many, it's amazing how many fewer cats we seem to have now with four instead of five!

malltynos
January 7th, 2004, 06:51 AM
this is a post for Blodeuwedd, my cat,who was cruelly killed by someone who deliberately ran her over and laughed as he did it. I saw it all. Peace to you Blodeuwedd,the underworld is a better place for being there. May the hounds of annwn hunt your killer for eternity. So mote it be.

Bainidhe Dub
January 7th, 2004, 09:36 AM
My condolences, malltynos... I have also seen a pet hit "accidentally" and watched the guy stop, then without even getting out of the car, turn around and drive past me, staring the whole time, as I ran across the road to pick up my dog.

For Duchess 1995-1999 and Sam 1998-1999.

Ahautenites
January 7th, 2004, 12:08 PM
My empathy to both of you. I'm so saddened by both of your losses.

That is one thing I cannot abide. If I ever witness anyone doing something that could bring severe injury or death to an animal (in a cruel way, not in the killed for food or euthanasia kinds of ways), I would not rest until I'd hastened the person on to their next incarnation. And my way would be very slow and excruciatingly painful. **voice filled with venom** How dare they?!

malltynos
January 7th, 2004, 12:34 PM
thanks, my condolences to you also. I'm not squeamish or vengeful, usually, but I think I lost my last shred of humanity yesterday morning. Let's hope I recover it before I find the one responsible...

Ahautenites
January 7th, 2004, 02:21 PM
There are other ways of eviscerating people, that don't have to involve mess.... You could write a letter to your local newspaper's Letters to the Editor section to describe what happened (and precisely what the man and the vehicle looked like, as well as location) and implore people to act with more compassion that that which was shown by that man. And then you need to go to the police station and file a report. What that man did was cruelty to animals as well as (by our judicial system) willful destruction of private property. And since you said he was smiling at you when he did it, it could be construed as a hate crime, which is also a punishable offense.

But please don't let all of your humanity slip away from you..... Blodeuwedd might not share human sensibilities, but I don't think she would have wanted you to be less than the wonderful, kind, sweet person she chose to share her life with in the first place.

Yasmine Galenorn
January 7th, 2004, 03:31 PM
this is a post for Blodeuwedd, my cat,who was cruelly killed by someone who deliberately ran her over and laughed as he did it. I saw it all. Peace to you Blodeuwedd,the underworld is a better place for being there. May the hounds of annwn hunt your killer for eternity. So mote it be.

I'm so sorry. There are cruel and wicked people in the world...I'm glad I don't understand how they can do something like this because I don't want in their heads. I hope Karma will out on him. I found one of my kitties on the road many years back, run over...I do understand. Many hugs and take care...there's nothing to ease the pain except time and the knowledge that sometimes, they do come back to us again.

:huddle:
~Yasmine G.~

Yasmine Galenorn
January 7th, 2004, 03:33 PM
And then you need to go to the police station and file a report. What that man did was cruelty to animals as well as (by our judicial system) willful destruction of private property. And since you said he was smiling at you when he did it, it could be construed as a hate crime, which is also a punishable offense.

I agree here--file a police report. People need to realize that they cannot get away with this sort of cruelty, and if it lands him in jail, so much the better.

Yasmine

malltynos
January 8th, 2004, 06:02 AM
thanks - I did file a police report. Unfortunately, here in the UK,it's not an offence to hit a cat, though you have to report it if you hit a dog (or possibly even a human being) If I go to the press, they'll get hold of the fact that I'm a pagan and then the fundies will be camped on my door and I'll have to put up with biblical tracts and dog poop being pushed through the door (again!) And I do have my disabled mother to think about, she lives close to me so they'd target her too,even though she isn't a pagan. So it's down to me really...

morrigen
January 8th, 2004, 06:48 AM
My condolences on the loss of your friend....and I hope something truly just happens to the sod that did this...I'm so sorry.

Yasmine Galenorn
January 8th, 2004, 01:49 PM
thanks - I did file a police report. Unfortunately, here in the UK,it's not an offence to hit a cat, though you have to report it if you hit a dog (or possibly even a human being) If I go to the press, they'll get hold of the fact that I'm a pagan and then the fundies will be camped on my door and I'll have to put up with biblical tracts and dog poop being pushed through the door (again!) And I do have my disabled mother to think about, she lives close to me so they'd target her too,even though she isn't a pagan. So it's down to me really...

Amazing how the law favors the criminals over the victims, be they two or four legged, or so it seems a whole lot these days.

Many hugs and again, I'm really sorry this happened....it doesn't help the pain, but at least you can vent here.

~Yasmine~

malltynos
January 9th, 2004, 06:50 AM
I'm not venting, really,I just wanted to honour the bright spirit that was Blodeuwedd.There is a form of small print in welsh witchcraft that says you have to declare your intent, before you lay a curse, so that's what I was doing. I don't curse very often - the last time it was a child abuser who raped at least five children. So I hope I get a similar result...

Yasmine Galenorn
January 9th, 2004, 01:55 PM
I'm not venting, really,I just wanted to honour the bright spirit that was Blodeuwedd.There is a form of small print in welsh witchcraft that says you have to declare your intent, before you lay a curse, so that's what I was doing. I don't curse very often - the last time it was a child abuser who raped at least five children. So I hope I get a similar result...

I'm sorry if it sounded like I didn't think you were honoring Blodeuwedd, but I simply meant that this is a good place to let out some of those feelings, to express your sorrow and be understood by others. Not everybody gets it that our pets ARE family, they ARE part of our lives and not just interchangable.

And may both you and Blodeuwedd find justice for an unnecessary and cruel death.

~Yasmine~

Old Witch
January 9th, 2004, 02:13 PM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your furperson! May the sob who did it never have another happy moment in their miserable life.

batty bat
January 10th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Today 10th January 2004 i lost my beloved cat Mister Cool. He was very special to me as he was a surprise 30th birthday present from my husband and had most definitly become my cat. He was a British Blue and was only 3 years old. He only became ill yesterday and was rushed to the vets where they had to drain fluid from his lungs. He had a little heart murmur, but we didn't think it was a problem, but he died of a massive heart attack this afternoon at the vets. I feel awful as i wasn't with him and i'm left wondering if i could have done more. I am also worried about his Sister Esie, who is currently looking for him and who also has to go for tests on Monday to see if it is a genetic thing. Well i buried Mister Cool in the garden this afternoon in purple silk, befitting a cat of his standing and tomorrow i plan to get a tree to mark his grave and Monday a headstone for him. I have had the worst couple of years imaginable and this i fear is the final straw, i am beginning to question things and wonder where to go from here. I am totally and uterly distraught. Thanks for listening Batty Bat xx :wah:

malltynos
January 11th, 2004, 06:02 AM
I'm sending you healing - read my post on Blodeuwedd; I also emailed you and PM'd you - just to let you know you have friends.

Ahautenites
January 11th, 2004, 05:09 PM
**sends energy to batty bat for the loss of Mister Cool**

I was doing some reading this weekend and it involved talk of the afterlife from someone's near-death experience (I'm Pagan... I'm allowed to read weird crap), and she said that she the person she was greeting almost couldn't get to her over the crowd of animal friends she'd known and loved in her current life as well as from past lives. It wasn't her time, so she lived through the experience and later told about it in that book. I really hope that part is true, about all the animals being there to greet us. (Gods, I must have at least one horse in there somewhere....) **chuckles** I think everyone waiting there to greet me is going to have to wait a bit longer until after I'm done saying hi to all of my animal children first.

I can't believe it's been two years already. And if I close my eyes, I can still see, hear and smell him. I dreamt of him a couple weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure it was a visit. He used to visit all the time after he'd first passed on. I'd sleep and dream that I was with him, just holding him, stroking his feathers and whistling to him while we sat on my bed for what seemed like hours. And I still think he sends feathers to me every now and then (where there shouldn't/couldn't possibly be any) just as his way of saying, "I love you and I'm here."

Yasmine Galenorn
January 12th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Today 10th January 2004 i lost my beloved cat Mister Cool. He was very special to me as he was a surprise 30th birthday present from my husband and had most definitly become my cat. He was a British Blue and was only 3 years old. He only became ill yesterday and was rushed to the vets where they had to drain fluid from his lungs. He had a little heart murmur, but we didn't think it was a problem, but he died of a massive heart attack this afternoon at the vets. I feel awful as i wasn't with him and i'm left wondering if i could have done more. I am also worried about his Sister Esie, who is currently looking for him and who also has to go for tests on Monday to see if it is a genetic thing. Well i buried Mister Cool in the garden this afternoon in purple silk, befitting a cat of his standing and tomorrow i plan to get a tree to mark his grave and Monday a headstone for him. I have had the worst couple of years imaginable and this i fear is the final straw, i am beginning to question things and wonder where to go from here. I am totally and uterly distraught. Thanks for listening Batty Bat xx :wah:

I'm so sorry...you can't always know when something is wrong, so please don't feel guilty. Some cats have heart problems and even if you know, there's not always a lot you can do. You do the best you can, and you take care of what you can, and sometimes nature has other ideas.

Big hugs, and please, please, don't beat yourself up over this. Mr. Cool had a happy three years with you, which is a wonderful thing, and the best you can do now is honor his memory, take care of his sister, and be gentle with yourself.

~Yasmine G.~ :colorful:

Old Witch
January 12th, 2004, 03:05 PM
These things just happen, and most of the time we can do nothing to prevent it. I'm so sorry for your loss. But you gave him a good life and that's all anyone and anything can hope for. Energy sent to you so your heart can heal.

GypsyGirl
March 3rd, 2004, 11:42 PM
kacie, my bull mastiff 'puppy' of almost 8 years was put down today.

she'd been having a hard time with the cold winter and her arthritis. last wednesday, my mom told me they'd try the double dose of prednizone to see if that would help. it did for a short time.

today when they got home, she tried to get up and her legs went out from under her. my mom thinks shortly after that she was paralyzed... she couldn't move at all. my dad brought her food dish out to the living room so she could eat supper.

she was the sweetest dog. all of the dogs i've had since i was a little girl have all had very distinct personalities, more human than my friends' dogs it seemed. kacie, when she was asleep, would often have her tongue sticking out. this time was no exception, my mom tells me.

i got to 'talk' to her on the phone on sunday. i told her i loved her and told her to hang on until summer, when i could see her again. and i know she's not in any pain anymore, and that's good, but goddess, it's going to be so hard next time i go home (i'm in california now; they're in mass.). that was my puppy-girl.

*sigh*

Ahautenites
March 4th, 2004, 12:15 PM
**hugs GypsyGirl** She'll probably still visit you. Time and space don't matter now. When she's thinking of her favorite people and wants to visit, she will. Always.

**lights a candle for Kacie, and leaves some choice tidbits of foods dogs love on the altar**

Nissala
March 4th, 2004, 04:17 PM
:hugz: GypsyGirl... she will always be with you...weather you know it or not. They always stay with us in spirit....:hugz:

Yasmine Galenorn
March 4th, 2004, 05:47 PM

i got to 'talk' to her on the phone on sunday. i told her i loved her and told her to hang on until summer, when i could see her again. and i know she's not in any pain anymore, and that's good, but goddess, it's going to be so hard next time i go home (i'm in california now; they're in mass.). that was my puppy-girl.

*sigh*

I'm so sorry...big hugs. At least she's not in any pain, which is, I suppose, the best we can hope for. Wishing you peace at heart.

Yasmine :colorful:

Fairywolf
March 9th, 2004, 01:41 PM
My evil little Hamlett died last night. He had gotten sick and I took him to the vet and they decided to put him down instead of him suffering any longer. Blasted hamsters......why do they win you over? :lol:

Ahautenites
March 9th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Awwww. :( **hugs for fairywolf, too, then lights a new candle for the animals mentioned in the thread (as well as for their people)**

Old Witch
March 9th, 2004, 04:16 PM

she'd been having a hard time with the cold winter and her arthritis. last wednesday, my mom told me they'd try the double dose of prednizone to see if that would help. it did for a short time.

today when they got home, she tried to get up and her legs went out from under her. my mom thinks shortly after that she was paralyzed... she couldn't move at all. my dad brought her food dish out to the living room so she could eat supper.

she was the sweetest dog. all of the dogs i've had since i was a little girl have all had very distinct personalities, more human than my friends' dogs it seemed. kacie, when she was asleep, would often have her tongue sticking out. this time was no exception, my mom tells me.

*sigh*

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My "spirit" dogs are always with me, as I'm sure your kacie will be with you...

Old Witch
March 9th, 2004, 04:18 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Hamlett.....Hamsters are such fun

Fairywolf
March 9th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Thank you...He may have been evil :lol: but he will be missed.

GypsyGirl
March 14th, 2004, 03:42 PM
i'm sorry to hear about hamlett *hugs* very cute name, i must say ;)

malltynos
April 27th, 2004, 02:00 AM
I lost my gentle old black tom cat this morning. He was ten years old, and suffered with FIV; he'd also lost an eye and was going blind in the other. He dealt with his illness with sweetness and humour and his bravery was boundless. He taught me so much , & brought me so much joy, and yet my grief is tempered by the knowledge that the goddess works in compassionate ways, and that however painful Fizzy's death is for me,it was right for him...
bendigeid byddot Fizz
hwyl ac Ffarwel, ysbryd lleu

Moon Momma
April 27th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Oh, Malltynos, I'm so sorry! :(

My Joie had two kittens on Saturday and lost them both. I loved them within the first 5 minutes of their little lives and I miss them already.

Ahautenites
April 27th, 2004, 09:36 AM
**hugs for Malltynos** My sympathy. Fizzy sounds like he was very special. He was lucky to have had you, Malltynos. It takes a special person to care for an animal that has such difficult medical problems.

**hugs for Moon Momma, too** When the is right, they'll probably find their way back into your family. Even if we're not given much time with our animal friends, as long as we make the most of that time and show them unconditional love, then it was a life well lived.

Ahautenites
May 4th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Thank you, Dale, for being in my life. You were such a beautiful dark chocolate tabby color, with green amber eyes and a ruddy-colored mini-lion mane. You will be missed, sweet girl. I'm very saddened that we had to help you leave us, but I'm glad we did because at least now your pain and suffering are over. You're welcome to visit anytime. And if you choose to come back to us in a new body, we will welcome you with open arms, even if we never acknowledge your former connection to us.

Go stalk some birds in the trees and bushes around the rainbow bridge. That was always your favorite pasttime anyway. We'll see you soon. Promise.

malltynos
May 5th, 2004, 05:12 AM
hugs to you nefersesemet, for your loss - and to Dale, too. Life is always a little emptier without our special ones...but one day we will meet, remember, know and love them again.

Ahautenites
May 5th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Thank you. **hugs back** I'll miss her very much, but Dale was actually more my brother's cat than mine. Chip, her brother, adopted me. When he passes, I'm going to be a real wreck.

Moon Momma
May 5th, 2004, 11:00 AM
So sorry for your (and your brother's) loss. :hugz:

PeleRising
May 18th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Tonight...Punky, our 4 yr old tan tiger cat was killed by a car on our street. I always wanted our cats to be inside kitties... but pumpkin was always different. He cried to go outside even when he was a tiny thing. One time he tore a hole in the bathroom window screen to get out... and we didnt even know he was out until our neighbors brought him home. He was an extremely social kitty... he loved ppl and he loved dogs. All the dogs in the neighborhood knew him and he would run right up to them... everyone knew punkys name. He liked to chase dandelion fluff...falling leaves and squirrels ... and he loved putting his paw on your face... I am not sure why, but he did. I will never forget the day we got him... we went to a local store that was giving away free kittens I decided to let my daughters pick out one kitten each... I looked over at my oldest daughter and this little tiny tan kitten was climbing up her leg... so I guess you could say that pumpkin choose us.

It was abrupt... no illness.. no warning... he is just gone. I sat on the front lawn with him for a while tonight... petting him and telling him it would be alright even though I knew he was gone... My girls are devestated... Leen the oldest hasnt stopped crying since we brought him home.

A family up the street found him on their lawn and came to tell us... and hubby went and brought him home. We buried him in the back yard under the purple and white lilac bushes, and the girls are going to make a marker for his grave this weekend.

Safe journey my little friend... we will never forget you!

http://www.rainnhawksaerie.com/punky.jpg

Tabby
May 18th, 2004, 11:07 PM
I am so sorry for your loss! I lost my cat Alex last year and I haven't stopped grieving for her yet! Hugs to your family...

Ahautenites
May 19th, 2004, 09:13 AM
I'm so sorry for you and your family, Pele. **hugs for you and the girls** Punky looks and sounds like he was such an endearing little character.

ragingredbear
May 20th, 2004, 01:18 AM
I am terribly sorry you lost your cat, I myself lost my beloved dove today. My grandmother was trying to raise them and none of the babies lived untill the week she died. My Dovey (my son named her) is the only baby that surrvived. I have had her almost 3 years,it would have been 3 yrs. in July. It is never easy to lose a pet. I feel for anyone who loses one.

Ahautenites
May 20th, 2004, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry for your loss, ragingredbear. **hugs** Dovey's life may have been short by our standards, but not very many people have doves for special friends, so I'm sure when this bird chose you and yours to live with (before it was born, I mean), she firmly believed that the quality of life she was going to get (good food, good friends) was far better than quantity any day. Besides, most doves end up dying young by getting caught by a raptor.

ragingredbear
May 20th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Thank you Nef. She was Quite the pet, I will always miss her.

PeleRising
May 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM
ragingredbear :hugz: I am sorry about your Dove. It is terribly hard to lose a member of the family.

Thank you all for your kind words... :hugz:

Black RiverWolf
June 13th, 2004, 01:20 PM
My dear Neastle Passed away almost two years ago at the age of 32. I had her since i was 8 years old. that wonderful horse taught me alot about myself and about courage. when my parents were going through a divorce my step brother took a pipe to her front knee and broke it. i was not there to protect her. her knee never healed right and she would walk with a limp for the rest of her life. she taught me the value of holding on to what we have now.no matter how bad things got for her at that time when i was not there she was always strong and proud. in the summer when i would go riding and she could not go with it broke my heart.so we would take on walks on a lead down the road just like a giant dog till she got tired and wanted to go back home to Beau and Jose. And when my dad wanted to put her down i fought him to save her life. i used to sneak onto the property with my dad and brother when we were not supposed to be there and hold her head in my hands and tell to hold on a little longer and that i would be home to protect her soon. she held on till i came home for a year she waited for me to come home. when i got home she was so very happy and came running to the barn when she heard me call her name to tell her that i was home to stay and this time for good.
It was January my then girlfriend and i were going out to the barn to feed the horses and saw her laying on the floor of the barn. my other two horses standing over her with their heads down. she had lay down for the night then laid on her side and fell to sleep. when i saw her i went crazy it was 1:30 in the mornning and i was on the phone to my mom screaming She's dead. She's dead. i think that the worst part of it was having to call the guy to come pick up her body and take it away. that was the hardest day that i know i will have to repeat i have three other horses.
But i take pride in the fact that i let her pass at home with those that she cared about most around her so se would not be scared to go. I m glad that she waited till she knew that i would be okay with out her before she left and that i will get to see my beautiful old lady again

in memory of
Irons Pocos Jewel aka. Nestle 1970-2002

OriginalWacky
June 14th, 2004, 12:29 AM
My heart goes out to each and every one of you who has lost someone so dear. And I cry for my own lost loved ones as well.

LadyAutumnCat
July 2nd, 2004, 08:41 PM
Today marks the 4 year anniversary of when my feline soul mate crossed the bridge!!! I miss him dearly, and think about him every day.

I love you Bolita!! Thank you! Thank you so very much!

I love you baby

Ceffyl
July 10th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Basette was 14 years old when she crossed the rainbow bridge on June 11, 2004. She had had uncontrollable diabetes which was finally complicated with liver failure. She was my constant companion for her entire life.

I wrote her story here and found hope, support, and caring from people I didn't even know. Thank you. I truly wish I could have had better news about Basette, but it was her time. She no longer purred. Basette's story is chronicled in the thread "Suggestions for a Diabetic Cat?", http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=48625

Basette's ashes are up stairs on my ancestor's altar, along with an offering of her diabetic maintenance food, water, and pawprints from her front paws.

The poem below is Basette's eulogy. When I gave Basette's vet a copy of the poem and a nice photo, she was very touched. The clinic was so amazing. They sent a card signed by everyone; so many of them were in tears when we put Basette down. The clinic is going to frame her poem and post it with the picture (attached).

Sleep well, Little Bastet.

“One Last Purr”
(In Loving Memory of Basette, October 31, 1989-June 11, 2004)

On a frost-filled February morning,
Gas-station royalty found a suitable subject and
Answered an open car-door invitation.
Purring louder then the engine
Fine, foxy face with glittering gold eyes:
Jumping onto my lap, into my life

That first vet trip she purred:
Vibrant, loud, pleased;
Chewing on my finger, licking my hands
Content to sit on my lap and be worshiped

She was Little Bastet
Whose regal bearing bespoke Ancient Egypt
Where bejeweled cats ruled
And rumbled their pleasure like lions

Today, her purr was hesitant
An out-of-tune engine’s rumble:
Idling, surging, whispering, roaring
She squirmed, squeaked her displeasure
Unsure of who I was;
awareness escaping like mice never had

Petite black furred form swaying
Back claws gripping en pointe
slipping
to land softly, sideways on the floor

Those once-agile paws, quick darting eyes
Now thumped into exam room walls.
Lucidity lit by a guttered out flame,
Delving deeper into dementia
A shadow of the once-sharp mouser
Whose near-invisible form
Stalked hemlines on the staircase

Diabetes had stolen her vitality, her lucidity
Renal failure took all that was left

Setting her on a soft wool bed
Little black bedwarmer who cowered Keeshonds
Did not know who cried over her.
Brilliant gold eyes dimmed to bronze,
Purred one last time

(--Ceffyl, June 28, 2004)

Flutterby_whispers
July 11th, 2004, 10:12 PM
oohhh hun (((Hugs)))

Ceffyl
July 15th, 2004, 01:16 AM
Thank you. It's hard when a family member is no longer around, but it's almost to the point where I smile when I see a little black shadow run down the hall...

Ceffyl

MzNeko
July 20th, 2004, 01:38 AM
(actually I originally poured all this out at another board I frequent, but I feel the need to share it here, too. I dunno, I guess I feel like if I share him with enough people, he won't really be gone...)

Friday, July 16, 2004

The day every pet owner dreads...

My husband and I took my Charlie kitty (http://www.mysticwicks.com/photoalbum//displayimage.php?pos=-323) on his last trip to the vet today. Sean drove while I held Charlie in my arms because I couldn't bear to bring an empty cat-carrier home.

How do you say goodbye to the cat you fell in love with at first sight? To the cat that you've shared eleven years (good times and bad) with? The cat who helped you pick your husband? (seriously -- the fact that Charlie liked Sean was a consideration) The cat you've always spoiled rotten because you just can't resist his Very Sad Kitty Face? The cat whose love helped you through any number of setbacks and heartbreaks?

He made it to the age of fourteen and a half (best guess). I try to console myself with the thought that he'd cheated Death for the past eleven years -- he was literally at death's door shortly before I got him.

I had just moved out of my parents' house, leaving my first cat, Shadow, with them because he was a Family cat, not just mine alone. Even though I was visiting every weekend, I missed him.

Some friends of ours had seven or eight cats and a hole in the screen door served as a cat door. One morning they came out to the kitchen to find a new cat lying on the floor. They'd seen him skulking around then neighborhood and being kind of chased around by the other local cats. He was in pretty bad shape... he had a nasty injury to the shoulder that was infected and looked like it had been for a long time. The infection had gotten into the bone. He was pretty close to checking out.

Lucky for him, these folks were big softies. They got him to a vet. It looked pretty grim for a while, the vets thought that even if they pulled him through, they might have to remove that front leg. Also, they told my friends that when he got out of the hospital, he was going to need a lot of intensive care and to be separated from other cats while he recovered.

This put my friends in a bit of a quandary. In a household with eight cats that come and go as they please, and a home layout not conducive to shutting anyone out, how do you keep him separate?

One of them had a notion... this little guy needs a home, Nicky needs a cat...

I'd thought that "love at first sight" only happened in movies. (hell, it's still never happened to me with another human... sorry honey)

Here was this battered, half-starved, undersized black cat on the exam table. A bunch of drainage tubes sticking out of his shoulder oozing nastiness. One ear crumpled and furless, leading back to a scar tracking down his neck (an old long-healed injury), several other small scars on that side of his body. A sweet-but-woebegone expression like Charlie Chaplin as The Little Tramp (hence the name). Huge sad eyes. This cat had clearly been through the wringer.

He was the most beautiful kitty I'd ever seen. I was smitten.

Despite his hard beginning, he had the sweetest personality I've ever encountered in a cat. He didn't much care what you did to him as long as it was attention. He gave love to anyone who was kind to him. When I came to bring him home from the vet, most of the staff came out to say goodbye and good luck. He was just that kind of cat.

I'm going to miss him so much...

Him looking up at me and saying "mprrr'drrrp" when I say his name.
His "fang-face" look when he felt playful.
The way he recognized Ben & Jerry's containers and would come for his share... whether I intended to share or not.
His sweet soft weight when I'd hold him in one arm and use the computer with the other.
The way he'd materialize in my lap when I'm in my recliner.
Him humping my fuzzy blanket (so he's fixed, apparently that blanket is just too attractive).
The Very Sad Kitty Face that he would put on when he wanted my French fries (he could teach basset hounds a few lessons on looking soulful), and then he would sit on my knee and purr. He always got his fry.
Sleeping with him under the covers on cold nights.
Him trying to get to his place under the covers between us when my husband and I, erm, weren't ready for company yet...
Sharing my pillow with him.
Coming home to him.
Telling Sean "Don't play so rough with him, he's a cat, not a dog!" and them both looking at me like I'm nuts.
Waking up to see my husband fast alseep with Charlie snuggled in the crook of his arm.
The way he always welcomed friends that came into the house. He LIKED meeting new people.

I could go on... but you get the picture.

We have other cats that we love, but there's a big Charlie-shaped hole in our life right now. It's going to be a while before it stops hurting so bad.

He was in renal failure brought on by old age and FIV. It was the right thing to do and the right time to do it. He probably lived longer than he had any right to expect, all things considered. But that didn't make it a bit easier.

This sucks.

It's now the Monday after... It still doesn't seem real. I keep expecting to see him around the house. For eleven years of my life, Charlie was there when I went to sleep at night, and there when I woke up in the morning. A Charlie-less world does not compute.

Bedtime is kind of hard - most nights his favorite place was snuggled under the covers between me and hubby.

I guess it will get more real in time. I still have to call the vet to see when I can get his ashes.

Our other two cats are freaked out. Giving them the extra TLC they need is a welcome distraction.

I miss my baby kitty.

Ceffyl
July 22nd, 2004, 05:26 PM
Thank you for sharing your memories of your kitty. I know it's hard right now. I just lost my own specially kitty (Basette) just over a month ago. I miss my kitty too, but know they are better off where they are.

I have a little shrine to Basette near my altar in my temple space with her ashes, along with some of her special prescription diet food.

If your vet uses the same cremation place my vet does, it's possible that when you pick up the ashes, you'll also have imprints of your kitties front paws. Holding that imprint was what really hit me hard.

Hugs to you and your family on the loss of your loved kitty, from one missing a feline friend.

Ceffyl

MzNeko
July 22nd, 2004, 11:45 PM
Thanks, Ceffyl.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with his ashes in the meantime (they'll have to go someplace special, that's for sure), but in a few years we're planning to buy a house -- once we own a home and land, I'll start a nice little garden with flowers and sunny spots for basking... that will be his final resting place.

I saw the picture, your Basette was a real beauty.

Ceffyl
July 23rd, 2004, 05:05 AM
Thanks, Ceffyl.
I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with his ashes in the meantime (they'll have to go someplace special, that's for sure), but in a few years we're planning to buy a house -- once we own a home and land, I'll start a nice little garden with flowers and sunny spots for basking... that will be his final resting place.

The resting place you are planning sounds absolutely lovely.

Maybe there is a special spot in your house where you could place his ashes with a picture of your kitty? At least until you're able to create his little garden.

I saw the picture, your Basette was a real beauty.

Thank you. Like you, she was my little companion who had been with me through so much.

Blessings,

Ceffyl

Smiley Girl
July 24th, 2004, 12:22 PM
I lost my cat Smokey 2 years ago this August. We'd had him for over 10 years. He was my first ever kitty. He had liver disease though. He was overweight too, poor guy. He'd eat anything. We took him and buried him in the country, where we know his spirit will be happy. :)

-KimberSly

OriginalWacky
September 6th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Time to say goodbye to a silly little lizard.

Little Monster, you were a good lizard. I'm sorry that you had to escape, and that it took us so long to find you. I wish you had been stronger when we found you, and that you could have kept going. We will miss watching you bounce around on your little leaves, and preening when we spray you with water.

Hopefully, your spirit will be happy when we bury you in the back yard, under the tree that you would probably have loved to climb.

Dangit. I'm crying over a lizard.

LadyAutumnCat
September 6th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Wacky,

I'm sorry for your little lizard's loss. Sending you love and energy!!! (((((((((((((Wacky))))))))))
:hugz:

Old Witch
September 6th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Ah! Sweet little lizard! :hugz:

LionFish
October 11th, 2004, 06:11 PM
:wah2: I have seen patience and his name was Blackie. My familiar passed away a couple weeks ago and I am still grieving. How long does this process take, forever? I came across his picture from 1997 of him sitting in front of the television. He was inside a box watching it. He somehow could hear the vocals of shark programs- the caption on my polaroid read, Wow, that sharks bigger than I am!. I have had him for 20 years and I know he was going downhill, he didn't eat anymore and drink. I know I have two other female cats, but Blackie ruled the roost. He knew whenever I was around if he heard my voice; coming to me and stretching his front legs outward on my legs while I stood petting him on the head. He was psychic, the week prior, he was meowing like a banshee. I thought he was picking up on something worldwide; never in a million years did I expect to see him go. What made it worse, was when I kept checking in on him, the night before blood was all over the basement- his liver went. No cat should suffer the way he did, I kept praying to the Goddess and to him that it was okay to go and just go to sleep. He did - two days later. I buried him next to the greenhouse.
My brother stopped in with his son ( my nephew ) out of the blue last week. As I began to clip tomatoes and work on the mache, I coulda sworn I saw Blackie walking by. Do you think someone is trying to tell me something?
This will be my first Samhain without him; besides the polaroid on my altar. Why did the Goddess feel she needs him more than I do at this particular time? I've gone through my anger phase but not my sad broken heart.
Blackie, I love you.

emmunite
October 18th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Blessings to you. Farewell is never easy...may you find comfort and solace.

halfwaynowhere
November 6th, 2004, 07:44 PM
this is for Shelby...
for the past few months we have been dealing with her depression, trying to get her to eat and drink water on a regular basis. we tried everything we could to make her feel better. i knew she was getting worse when her water bottle was full and the other two rabbits water bottles were bone dry. she passed sometime today, not too long ago. At least she is with her buddy now, she doesn't have to be depressed any longer. i still feel horrible that there wasn't anything i could do, but i guess it was a learning experience for everyone. I am lighting a candle for her at this moment, may her soul be at rest.

LadyAutumnCat
November 6th, 2004, 07:47 PM
this is for Shelby...
for the past few months we have been dealing with her depression, trying to get her to eat and drink water on a regular basis. we tried everything we could to make her feel better. i knew she was getting worse when her water bottle was full and the other two rabbits water bottles were bone dry. she passed sometime today, not too long ago. At least she is with her buddy now, she doesn't have to be depressed any longer. i still feel horrible that there wasn't anything i could do, but i guess it was a learning experience for everyone. I am lighting a candle for her at this moment, may her soul be at rest.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :hugz:

OriginalWacky
November 6th, 2004, 11:41 PM
My heartfelt sympathy to all of you who have lost beloved pets. We've lost a couple more at the rescue, and it looks like we have at elast one more that will go soon. Sweet Christmas, a beautiful cream longhair is just losing more and more weight, and we suspect cancer of the bowel. I so wish we could just heal them all.

talithafaol
November 7th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Reading all these lovely words about how other people have loved and miss their friends makes me feel so much better about the fact that I still feel really sad that my little rabbit Ruby Slippers died suddenly earlier this year. There was no warning that she was ill and she seemed to recover once and we bought her home. Then we had to rush her back and she died in the night. The vet couldn't find any real cause and said they call it 'floppy rabbit syndrome'.

She was a beautiful, gentle little white polish dwarf with such a loving little soul. We walked all the way home from the vet carrying her wrapped in a towel because we don't have a car. They were very kind and had done all they could.

It was terrible day, all stormy, and we buried her in our garden under the tree with a bowl of her favourite food. I cried a lot and my partner played 'Goodbye Ruby Tuesday' for her and then I cried a lot more.

I still miss her, but I'd rather have spent three years with her than none at all.

Ahautenites
November 7th, 2004, 09:26 AM
**hugs Talitha** My heartfelt sympathy on your loss. Ruby Slippers sounds like she was a sweet little doll. I'm sure she's thinking the same about you, that three years with you was better than none at all. **hugs again for Talitha, and for everyone else, too, for that matter**

AugustFirst
November 21st, 2004, 06:11 PM
My Opie and my Purrfey both joined their sisters this year. Opie was orange, a 19 year old boy who died of kidney failure. (6/17)His brother Purrfey, grey and white, also 19, died of cancer. (2/29)
I miss them dearly and not a day goes by that I don't think of them, and their sisters Gina and Jenna, who went to the bridge in Aug. and Sept. 1996 (respectively).
Such wonderful kitties who loved their mommy as much as she loved them.
I have their ashes with me. Thanks for letting me post this little tribute to them.
My condolences and hugs to all those who have gone before and will go after mine.

zakzekezedd
December 3rd, 2004, 11:55 AM
I lost my gentle, shy Sammi after 16 years on November 29. The only thing bigger than his enormous emerald eyes was his sweet heart. He passed peacefully in his sleep with his friends and companions around him. Big Willy actually stayed with his friend washing his face and comforting him until he had passed. He is missed, but I know that he is in a much better place where there is no pain or infirmity. He's rolling in the grass, snoozing in a sunbeam and chasing butterflies through the fields of flowers now. And that is a good thing.

Ahautenites
December 3rd, 2004, 01:15 PM
**hugs AugustFirst and zaksekezedd** My sympathies to both of you.

halfwaynowhere
December 21st, 2004, 04:20 PM
last night my best friend called me, in tears. her beloved dog, Edgar, had just passed on. He was brn in january of '91, so he would have almost been 14, same age as my brother. I remember going over to my friends house when i was little, and we would put all of our pretty dress-up dresses on him. he was a great family dog. his condition had been worsening as time went, he had arthritis, hip dysplacia, and what appeared to be tumors (my friend told me the vet said they were not serious). They really didn't have the money to get all those things fixed. But Egdar lived a happy life, they treated him well, he was loved, and I'm almost glad he passed on so the pain of aging could be ended... OF course, we will always miss him..

SilverMaiden
February 19th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Ebony, my Eboneezer

You brought so much love and laughter to my parents and I. You brought comfort to Sasha when she missed her Snowball. For that I'll love and miss you forever.

I know when we found you Dad was looking for another Snowball and that's who he sent us to see. Instead it was you that captured mine and mom's heart with your friendliness, cuteness and goodness. You just made us laugh, so we knew you were meant to be part of the family. When you climbed up on Dad's belly and chest and kissed him, you captured his heart too. In fact, you brought Dad a lot of happiness every time you jumped up on him, then purred on his chest.

Mom and Dad's house is emptier with you gone. I'm so sorry Dad was headed to Arizona when you became so sick. He cried on the phone for you. Dad doesn't cry often, that's how much you touched his life. You were definitely his cat. He loved you a lot. I'm sure you knew how much he loved to tell stories about you running around the house, laying on mom's feet and jumping on his computer. You gave him a lot of love when his Sasha passed on.

Even though Mom always complained about the hairballs and the times I let you jump on the counters, her heart broke yesterday when we took you to the vet. Oh she cried for you. My heart broke too. Dad's heart broke even more. They will miss you pushing at their bedroom door every morning and demanding your treats.

We cried for the rest of the day for you. Mom and I both were glad we were there with you until the end. You loved us and we loved you, we just couldn't leave you.

I held you until the last moment. Mom was crying too hard and didn't want to scare you. Forgive me if you suffered. We never meant you to have any pain. Not for one second.

Ebony, while you're at the rainbow bridge, find Sasha, Snowball and Kitty. They have pieces of our hearts too.

Rest in Peace, Play for Forever.

Ebony 1992-Feb. 18th 2005.

With my love and tears. With Mom and Dad's love and tears.
Teresa

Dr. Slop
February 21st, 2005, 08:55 AM
My best cat Sam got bone cancer, and I had to have him put to sleep on January 3 because he was in terrible pain and there was nothing they could do anymore for him. They are keeping his body until May, when the ground will unfreeze and I can bury him. I already bought some nice rose bushes to mark his grave with. I miss him a lot, but I have not felt his spirit around since he died. Last night I got thinking about how much Sam was always afraid at the vet, especially when I had to leave him there overnight. I got thinking what if his spirit is stuck over there at the vet's and he is afraid and sorrowing, thinking I left him there? I know it is a crazy thought, but I can't help thinking it. I miss him so much. He was such a good friend. Is there anything I can do to somehow let him know that he will come home? It is really bothering me.

enchancea
April 4th, 2005, 03:56 AM
My dwarf hamster Ruby passed over last night. I have had her for 3 years. More than anything I am relieved. I could tell that her body was becoming more of a burden than anything for her. She couldnt move very well anymore and she was having trouble doing normal things. At least now she isnt pain and she is free from that body. So have a safe journey home my dear little girl.

WtchyChick13
June 3rd, 2005, 01:55 AM
For those of you here that remember me, you may remember my birdie Egg-Girl. Well, I lost her a year ago May 27th...just one month shy of her 7th birthday (bird-day).

It was horrible. Here is what happened as I wrote it the night of the 27th:

I can still live that night as if it just happened. This time last year, I had stayed up with her for about a week just holding her in my hands for hours at a time while she slept inside of them. I remember even being afraid to get up to just go into the bathroom for fear that she'd fall off of the couch or pass while I was in there.

This night last year, I had covered her up and slept without my earplugs (which was odd because it was the only night that week I had decided not to sleep with them) and heard her as she played with everything in her cage one last time. It was the most energy she had since she had gotten sick. As a matter of fact, when she was still out with me, she had decided to play on her outdoor playground thing which she had been unable to do for over a week at that time.

Anyway, I heard her under her cover as she played with her bell, her rings and of course her favorite dome that hung from the ceiling from her cage that had bells on 4 sides of it. She'd sit under that for hours when she was well, kind of like her own little sanctuary--we called her dome head.

That night it was so strange to hear her play with everything, I didn't realize until hours later it was her way of saying goodbye.

Then about 5:30am she squeaked and I ran over to the cage...she came up to me and kissed me on the nose. I laughed and said, "is that all you wanted? A kiss? Well ok then. I love you cutie." And I kissed her one more time then she went to the other side of the cage.

A few hours later, I heard her pass. I didn't realize that was what it was, but I woke up when I heard her scratching a little bit and thought she was just itchy so I didn't get up. I told her I loved her and that I was right next to her if she needed me. There was no sound.

When I got up a bit later, I saw her and I've never been the same. She was such a huge part of my life and my day and I'm still really not used her being gone.

Just a note: That dome I told y'all about? We buried her with her head in the dome--that's how she spent a good part of her day anyway so we didn't want to deprive her of it after she'd passed. lol Besides, I couldn'tve looked at it after that nor given it to another birdie. That was HER dome. :)

I post this now because Egg was big here for a while and I wanted to share her passing with you all. She was my 'puter birdie...often typing, sitting on the keyboard while I was trying to post something here. The Legend of Egg-Girl will live on forever--I'm posting a couple of pics here but there are more in my photo-album here at MW.

She's still with me. I have her pics everywhere and I know that she is watching over our new baby birdie (who turned 1 in April) who we got on June 12th of last year. He's quite a character and came here without knowing that he already had a guardian angel. :halohead:

My baby Egg:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/wtchychick13/CupOBirdie2.jpg
Cup O'Birdie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/wtchychick13/keyboard.jpg
IMing a friend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/wtchychick13/peekingirlA2.jpg
My favorite pic of her--Peekin' Girl

I miss her a lot. :(

halfwaynowhere
June 18th, 2005, 01:43 PM
This is for Sammy, Aphrodite, and Athena. Hopefully I won't have to post here again any time soon, but who knows...
Sammy was a beautiful orange tabby found in our yard a few weeks ago. he was badly injured in a fight with a dog. we took him in, he had an abcess, so off to the vet for surgery. we brought him home, and he was fine. he was such a sweetheart, even though he was in pain. then on thursday, he went suddenly downhill, he became lethargic, he wouldn't eat or drink, and he appeared to be in pain from just walking. he went to the vet, and they ran some tests. his white blood cell count was really low, his kidneys had been damaged and had shut down.
Aphrodite, Athena, and their sister, Artemis, came to us two weeks ago. we were fostering them for a rescue organization, Cats In Need. They had pretty bad Dhiarrea, but we thought we could handle it... we were giving them medication, and pedialyte instead of water. Artemis was strong, so she didn't need so much attention. yesterday the other two got really bad... their temperatures were insanely low, they were extremely dehydrated, and were just ready to die. so we took all three to the vet, Artemis was given fluids and sent home, the other two were kept overnight. the vet initially thought the problem was worms, but that wasn't the case.
We got a phone call this morning from the vet. Sammy, Aphrodite, and Athena all passed on last night. It was a long fight for everyone, but I hope their passing was peaceful.

DarkWaltz
June 24th, 2005, 03:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Dark_waltz/4tina.jpg
April 1st 1989-23rd June 2005
I had her since I was five, she was born on my bed and she died on my bed,
As you can see from the pics she loved sleeping lol. My little old lady
I miss her so much already.

ap Dafydd
June 30th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I'd just like to add a goodbye to Cordelia, our little dog who died yesterday. Living in a houseful of cats, her one ambition was to be a cat one day but she never quite made it.

Last week she went into a sudden decline and faded badly, couldn't keep any food down, became very lethargic. Took her to the vet last night and he said there was nothing they could do.

We miss her.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

Rowan MoonDragon
July 23rd, 2005, 11:48 AM
You were only 8 months old but you were in our family from the day that you were born. We watched your mother give birth to you and we held you when you were just seconds old. You brought so much joy to our lives. You preferred me but Paige wanted you so I told her she could have you. I feel so responsible for your death but my guilt will not bring you back. I wish it could but for some reason you weren't meant to be with us anymore. Sleep peacefully, Sweet Sadie. We love and miss you so very much.

MorganLeFey_83
July 25th, 2005, 01:30 AM
I recently (Summer Solstice in fact) lost a very dear feline friend. As you can see his name was Bagheera. He was my sister's familiar, however I loved him like my own. Sadly, he suffered severe liver failure for about two weeks before we had to put him to sleep at the ripe old age of eighteen. Sometimes when I'm sleeping I think I can still feel him curl up beside me. *sniffle* He was a wonderful cat and I miss him with all of my heart. *sobbing*

Faery-Wings
July 26th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Hugs to all of you.

My first baby, Ziggy- was put down this morning. Last night, out of nowhere, he became paralyzed from the waist down. After speakin gto an on call vet, I was told it was most likely blot clots and there was nothing to do but make him comfortable until the morning. I brought him tot he vets first thing this morning. Blood clots were confirmed.
Hubby and I had to put him down. It was terrible. Heartbreaking, as you al know.
He was our first cat togehter, we got him as an 8 week old right before we got married. He was 12.

Ziggy, be with PJ and Rhett- your brothers-- enjoy your time and I will see you again someday on the Rainbow Bridge.
I love you.

Old Witch
July 26th, 2005, 12:00 PM
My heartfelt sympathy to all of you who have lost a furbaby recently.......

WtchyChick13
July 27th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Hugs to all of you.

My first baby, Ziggy- was put down this morning. Last night, out of nowhere, he became paralyzed from the waist down. After speakin gto an on call vet, I was told it was most likely blot clots and there was nothing to do but make him comfortable until the morning. I brought him tot he vets first thing this morning. Blood clots were confirmed.
Hubby and I had to put him down. It was terrible. Heartbreaking, as you al know.
He was our first cat togehter, we got him as an 8 week old right before we got married. He was 12.

Ziggy, be with PJ and Rhett- your brothers-- enjoy your time and I will see you again someday on the Rainbow Bridge.
I love you.

Oh sweetie I'm so sorry! :hugz:

A friend of ours made an appointment today to have her dog put to sleep tomorrow. My heart is breaking for her. She's done so much for this dog--including special ordering a wheeled-cart for the dog's back legs and taking out all of the carpeting in her new home so that the dog could get around better.

She had him since he was a baby and he's (I believe) 16 now. She's been keeping him alive with the provision that he wasn't in any pain and he started a new kind of 'puppy-hood' when she got him the cart! She drove 6 hours to and from the place to pick that thing up and he loved it as soon as he went into it. She couldn't keep up with him--he loves to run in that thing.

The vet told her yesterday that the dog was now in pain and suffering and of course she can't put the poor thing through that. So she asked for one day that she could take him out of the vet's office and out to the park in his beloved cart to go and run for one last time. (I just feel bad that his last day out hit 105.)

I'm so sorry for her. She's single and has no kids but her dogs are her babies and this one has been with her the longest. The one really nice thing is her new boss told her to take as long as she needs. He's an animal person and had absolutely no problem with her taking some time off to go through all of this.

If you guys could send a little something here in the NorthEast I'd really appreciate it...tomorrow is going to be a very sad day. :(

Old Witch
July 28th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Energy sent for that dog to have a wonderful painless last day. Energy for a peaceful passing, and energy for your friend to bear up and know she's done her best for her furbaby....:hugz:

WtchyChick13
July 28th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Oh thank you. I've been thinking about her a lot and know that it's all over now. :(

I keep thinking of something she said, "I'm making an appointment to kill my dog." We had to tell her NOT to think of it that way, but you know...thoughts like that will invade you at times like that.

Here's hoping the passing was gentle, that her heart heals quickly and that he's watching over her now. :hugz:

Nighthawk
July 28th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Awww, gentle passing. sorry

Faery-Wings
July 29th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Hugs to your friend WC.

I don't know if she felt the same, but I really believe that Ziggy was telling us it was ok, that he was ready. I could see it in his face as soon as we got him to the vets. he had been crying a lot before we got there. As soon as he looked around, he stretched his head out and put it on my hand, and then reach out with his front paw and placed it on my arm. And just looked up at me. I think he knew, and was letting us know it was ok.

*sighs* gods why is it so hard anyway? *cries*

WtchyChick13
August 2nd, 2005, 02:29 AM
:awwman: Oh sweetie I'm so sorry. :ack:

It does sound like Ziggy was ready and yeah, it also sounds like he was comforting you at the same time you were comforting him. It sounds like when my Egg-Girl woke me up to kiss me one last time before she left me. I still cry (like I am now) every time I think of that and it was late May '04 that we lost her. They know. We don't want to admit that they do, but they do. :(

Wow, I really, really miss her. :ack:

I found out today that my friend couldn't wait that one last day. She had planned on giving Jake one more day to play, but when she got up she realized that Jake's pain had gotten much, much worse. She called the vet right away and they were wonderful...they went above and beyond the call for my friend and that's so nice to know.

Jake passed peacefully, in her arms and the two shared a last moment together.

The first week has been hard, of course. Especially gathering up all of Jakie's toys and stuff (she donated all of his things to a local shelter) and her other dog is doing just fine. Almost relieved to have the house back to herself. :)

My friend said today that she realized that she suddenly has her life back and doesn't know which way to go. For the past 3 years, she hasn't taken a vacation for fear Jake would pass while she was away...she hasn't travelled for business (which she is supposed to 3 to 4 times a year--so she basically put her career in jeopardy for Jake) and she completlely furnished her new house in compliance to Jake and his special needs. Now it's her turn...but she's feeling guilty about it. We told her, it's been a week. Give yourself time. We know she will but you guys know...your mind starts to work overtime at times like these.

In the meantime, she and her other dog are doing fine. She's finally sleeping--for the first time in over a year she doesn't have to get up with Jake 3 times a night so she's actually getting some rest now. I think this healing time is going to be really good for her, mentally. She's going to get some rest and learn to live a little more just for her.

I tell you though--it shows you just how much someone can love their furry family. :smile:

My love to you all for your thoughts and prayers and please, PLEASE know that I've been thinking of you all as well. :hugz:

Faery-Wings
August 2nd, 2005, 07:45 AM
Hugs back at ya babe.

And I sure hope Ziggy isn't giving Egg any trouble up there.

It really is amazing how deeply you can love a pet.

Love to your friend too-

AutumnWitchie
August 27th, 2005, 11:29 AM
This morning, my little cat with asthma, Pinkie, went home to the Goddess. She'd been battling a series of infections. It was too much on her system as she has never been in the best of health in her 4 years. We almost lost her when she was just a baby but managed to pull her through. Everyday has been a gift. Last night, Pinkie and I said our good-byes. I had been feeling her energy wane for a couple of weeks and knew it was a matter of time. Now, she will have no more breathing problems and no more infection. SHe will be with Andy who died of kidney disease and Shadwyn, Enkidu, Gilgamesh and all the babies who already went home to the Goddess. In Loving memory of my "ittle durl" Pinkie.

Faery-Wings
August 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Moonlite Faery
September 2nd, 2005, 01:41 AM
Early this month my cat of 9 years lost her short battle to polysystic kidney disease. She showed no signs of this genetic disease until 2 months before her death. She lost a lot of weight in a week, she weighed 9lbs and went down to 6lbs. She was my baby, and I am very sad. She lived with my parents and my mom was kind enough to have her ashes cremated for me so that I may put her in the back yard she loved so much. I'm just sad because she was only 9 and I thought she had a few more months left...this is the first time I have ever been without a cat.

WtchyChick13
September 2nd, 2005, 02:24 AM
Sweetie, I'm so sorry. :( :hugz:

AutumnWitchie
September 2nd, 2005, 10:58 AM
I'm so sorry, sweetie. :smooch: Our cat Andy who used to sleep in or under my son's crib died from kidney disease. Sending energy and love. :hugz:

Moonlite Faery
September 2nd, 2005, 12:35 PM
Thank you guys for the energy and healing. I miss her, but I know she is catching things and hunting in Summerland, and is waiting for me to put her back in the yard that she loves. ::Smiles with tears::

Flar's Freyja
September 4th, 2005, 03:39 AM
According to Sylvia Browne, every animal we have ever known and loved (not necessarily owned) in our lifetime will meet us when we cross over. In her book "The Other Side" she says that we may be tripping over them to get to our loved ones.

I think that's a very comforting thought.

LadyCelt
September 4th, 2005, 04:56 AM
My faincee's family dog passed last spring. She had cancer and diabetes and arthritis. Her name was Maggie and she was a Bichon Frise. I didn't kow her too well and she barked and was frantic often with me she was blind as well. But, at times she did allow to me pet her and she would roll over and let me rub her belly. My fiancee cried so hard when that day came. One thing I did not like was his parents didn't let him nor his brothers go with them when she was put to sleep. It was their dog too. Maybe they figured it owuld be too hard on them, but this saddens me as well. I feel my fiancee should have been allowed to be there with and for her. I also feel animals have souls.

My fiancee John said how he hopes she goes to Heaven. His mom said dogs don't have souls so she can't. but, I feel animals do and she's in some sort of pleasant afterlife and hopefully will be with John when his time comes too.

I used to have a geauniea pig too named Corey, but I had to give him away to get my cat Friendly. I didn't know him too well and don't remember much since I was little, but I thank the Lord for him and his company as well. I'm sure he has passed by now due to the years but I hope he is in a good afterlife as well.

enchancea
September 14th, 2005, 01:33 AM
A couple of weeks ago I lost Bob when he was attacked by two other rats. Tonight his father passed over. He was an old man for a rat, he was almost 2. Lestat did not like to be touched at all because he had a severe phobia of people so I didnt get as strong as bond with him as my other rats but I did love him and had respect for him. He is the daddy to most of my other ratties including Bob. Rest in peace my old man.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/enchancea/lestatyouing.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/enchancea/gallery-msg-1113672497-2.jpg

WtchyChick13
September 14th, 2005, 01:39 AM
:hugz: Big hugs to all I've missed lately. :hugz:

And may they all be playing with each other over there! :)

aluokaloo
October 3rd, 2005, 01:59 PM
My heart goes out to all the people who have lost their loved ones.

enchancea
October 4th, 2005, 11:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/enchancea/babyarmand.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/enchancea/armand.jpg

I have now lost all of my boys. All I have is Spaz now. Ever since Bob died Armand didnt seem like himself. He wouldnt come running for food anymore, he would lay around, he wouldnt even come out of his cage. Its so weird to lose him considering I still have his momma. I think Armand crossed over to be with his brother, I just hope he's happier now. RIP my little man.

halfwaynowhere
October 5th, 2005, 12:56 AM
i'm so sorry about your ratties, but they are all with each other now, running around in that big wheel in the sky... seriously though, they still get to be with each other, and you gave them such a great life while they were here... i know they must be thankful for that.

LadyCelt
October 5th, 2005, 02:20 AM
With people, I have heard of espeically in eldrly coules the other one bieng so depressed they die to due not wanting to live and not eating etc. This is more proof to me animals have souls.

Are you going to get your rat any new companions?

p.s. you should submit that picture of the rat with the broom to a pet/rat mag and site and maybe photography mags and sites. It is very unique and good.

Pesha
October 5th, 2005, 02:21 AM
I adore rats. We used to have some wonderful little friends. I am so sorry you have lost all but one of your friends. My he have a long life and be with you for a long time.

BB
DS.

Moonlite Faery
October 5th, 2005, 02:58 AM
I feel your loss, ratties are such companion animals. Sending comforting energies.

Rowan MoonDragon
October 25th, 2005, 10:52 PM
My beloved Maverick..........I will miss your morning serenades.....our talks......our games.........the way you danced to country music.....the way you made me laugh with everything that you did. you will be forever in my heart. rest in peace my little tiel. I will always always love you.

My darling Misty........I will miss you coming out to see me at night when the rest of the house is asleep........your rubbing against me in the morning after my shower....your beautiful innocent face...your big beautiful blue eyes....I will think of you ever day.

I love you both, my sweets. I love you and miss you so terribly.

WtchyChick13
October 25th, 2005, 11:38 PM

Ursula
October 29th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I lost my Morris (looked like a sleeker version of his namesake) this past July--heart failure brought on by complications from a thyroid tumor. he was a beautiful, loud little baby.

i had Morris for 7 years, though he could have been as old as 18 or 19. he was a stray living outside a home where i was renting a room in 1998. i had a falling out with my roomates, & even though Morris slept with me & i was the only one who could get him to come in out of the cold, i was afraid that when i moved, my roomates wouldn't let me take him just to be mean to me.

so... i took him anyway! as i was moving my stuff, i was still feeling ambivalent about it, but he just yowled and yowled at me that day, as if to tell me, "TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!" so i did.... and he lived 7 happy years as an inside kitty with me and his other furry friends (at the time of his death, i had 2 dogs and 5 other cats). i buried his little body in a box in my backyard, but he'll always be with me.

the kitty i lost 4 years ago, Bandit, was inherited from my sister. he would go into "attack kitty" mode whenever he got fed up with the big dogs he lived with. all of a sudden, he would run at them, hissing and flailing his forelegs--it was seriously hilarious! he died while i was out at the age of 14. he, too, had a tumor on his thyroid, but i'm not really sure what happened.

after Morris died, even with 7 other animals in the house, i felt the emptiness nonetheless, and kept feeling sad when i told people i had 5 cats instead of the usual 6! then one day in August, i walked into a pet store and my heart leapt; there was a sleek little black and white kitten who looked just like Bandit!

even though i'm a witch, i've never been really convinced about reincarnation... this kitten, though, seems to have Bandit's spirit about him so strongly. when he sleeps with me (braving the big dogs just like Bandit did), i feel like i have my little lost kitty back....

i don't know if little Zorro really is Bandit or just reminds me of him, but he's definitely my baby, and i know Bandit--and Morris--will always be with me somehow.

blessed be,

Ursula

Catiana
November 6th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Nobie passed away yesterday. She was sick and they couldn't help her and I had to have her euthanized. But I feel like maybe I should have tried anyway. I feel that its my fault, that I didn't her love enough, that I didn't pay enough attention to her after we got the kittens. She was my familiar now she is gone.

AutumnWitchie
November 6th, 2005, 09:58 PM
:hugz: Oh honey! I went thru that just recently when I lost Pinkie. Nobie knows you loved her. Sometimes, no matter how much we love our pets, we loose them. I am so sorry for your lost.

FaeFollower
November 6th, 2005, 10:56 PM
My youngest cat died on on Tuesday...I didn't even know she had been sick. We took her to the vet not long ago because she was throwing up a lot, and they did lots of bloodwork but said nothing was wrong. I guess she was sicker than we thought, but I had no idea...She was only six.

She used to eat breakfast with me in the mornings: I would have cereal and she would try to stick her paw in the milk and lick it off, so I always had little black fur in my cereal. I used to push her away when she did that, but now I cry when I have to eat breakfast by myself in the mornings....

I remembered this thread from when I used to be on MW a lot, and it cheered me up, so I had to come back and read it again.

enchancea
November 14th, 2005, 01:10 AM
My Bianca passed over tonight after a battle with a tumor. 8/04-11/05

WtchyChick13
November 14th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Oh I'm so so sorry. And I'm sorry I haven't been here in a while...it looks as if we've lost some very special friends. :(

Much love to you all! :hugz:

Elderbush
November 17th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I was looking to see if there was a thread for this and here it is. Day before yesterday I had to let go my Emily, a cat we'd had for 17 years. She'd stopped eating and the vet said that the right thing to do was to end her suffering. We miss her so much.

She was a great cat, very bossy and a good hunter. I'm so glad that she was in good health right up until the end and I'm grateful we had her so long.

Ahautenites
November 22nd, 2005, 12:45 PM
RIP, Sam... you may have been repulsive, but I'm glad you had someone to love you for the last 6 years of your life.

Sam, the world's ugliest dog. (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/22/ugly.dog.ap/index.html)

Post Scriptum
December 3rd, 2005, 03:36 PM
I had a cat, Rose... :) I loved her so much, she was amazing... We had to give her away because she would pee and poop everywhere... I hope someone took her... I hope she didn't have to die... I miss her everyday.

Copperaven
December 3rd, 2005, 05:02 PM
on December 1st I buried my precious Tokea
http://www.rocknbead.com/critters/tokea.jpg
I love you, I miss you

Temptation
December 3rd, 2005, 05:45 PM
Had to have our little Shayla put to sleep yesterday. She was the most affectionate of all our guinea pigs. :sadeyes:

Kaija
December 21st, 2005, 10:16 AM
*sigh*... my rattie died about a week ago.. He was a sweetheart.. I just wish I new what killed him.. (He was just over a year old, so should have had a few more years)

So now I have a frozen Nikodemis in my freezer... burial to commence when the earth thaws a bit..

RIP young one.. :ggrief:

WtchyChick13
January 14th, 2006, 04:04 AM
I got an email from a friend of mine saying that she had to put her dog Buddy to sleep this week. She absolutely loved this dog--as a matter of fact, I received 4 emails with multiple pics of Buddy with antlers on his head at Christmas-time. Yes, she really loved this dog. :)

He was 15 years old and just a sweetheart. A big ol' teddy bear of a dog who loved a good belly rub. :D

Be at peace sweetie--and watch over your mom, she loves you so, so much. :hugz:

Old Witch
January 15th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Aww, Energy to Buddys Mom...

halfwaynowhere
January 26th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Paris and Pericles, two of my sister's cockatiels, passed on last night, due to unknown causes. Othello isn't looking too good, but the other 3 are perfectly happy and healthy, so we don't know whats going on. Paris and Pericles were bonded brothers, so one may have just been sick, and the other one died along side his brother... Paris was the sweetest cockatiel i have ever met, to be frank, i am terrified of most birds, and he was the only one i could actually hold. Pericles was a bit grumpy, but still sweet. I hope their passing was gentle, and that they are crossing the rainbow bridge together.

BlackOrchid
January 26th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Losing my dog Shadow was the saddest thing that ever happened to me. I lost him June 6, 2005. We had no idea he was sick EVEN though we took him to the vet 2 weeks before he died, he was moving around much slower than usual. He was 11 yrs old, the vet said it was arthritis. He got meds then he was up and running like his usual self BUT 2 days before he died he just got sluggish, then we took him back to the vet and they took various tests, the next day he died. I cried so much, I know this may seem cruel BUT I cried much for him than I did when my grandmom died.
Thinking about him now makes me sad BUT I remember the good times we had - he was such a good dog even until the end!
Shelter dogs are the ABSOLUTE best!!!!!!
59447 59448

In September 2005 my spirits were a bit lifted when I was given my new baby Eva(The Diva Beagle, she's 7 months old) by an aquaintance who didn't realize what a HUGE responsibility(i.e...time, patience esp. w/potty training AND tons of love) it is caring for a pet. She's as hyper and energetic :boing: as I am!!!!!! :hahugh:
59450 59451

:boing:

Namaste.
xoxoxo.

WtchyChick13
January 26th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Paris and Pericles, two of my sister's cockatiels, passed on last night, due to unknown causes. Othello isn't looking too good, but the other 3 are perfectly happy and healthy, so we don't know whats going on. Paris and Pericles were bonded brothers, so one may have just been sick, and the other one died along side his brother... Paris was the sweetest cockatiel i have ever met, to be frank, i am terrified of most birds, and he was the only one i could actually hold. Pericles was a bit grumpy, but still sweet. I hope their passing was gentle, and that they are crossing the rainbow bridge together.

:( OH I'm so sorry! I will send my birdies who are over the bridge to greet them on. And here's hoping that Othello and the rest of them are ok! :huddle: :hugz:

And BlackOrchid, much love and hugs to you too sweetie. And Eva is just adorable! :hugz:

halfwaynowhere
January 26th, 2006, 11:45 PM
In loving memory of Charcoal...
today has been such a sad day... i guess i wasn't ready to let go, but charcoal was... he had already chosen our kitchen cabinet as his final resting place, and i wish i could have just let him die there, on his own. i pulled out the turkey roasting pan that he was sleeping in, and just held him and cried, i wouldn't let anyone take him away from me, because i didn't want to let go... but honestly, having him put down was probably the best for him... he was waiting for his body to let go, even though it wasn't ready yet, he was... so the vet has been closed for a half an hour or so, but my sister hasn't come home yet, her friend had to drive her because she was too upset. they probably went out to eat or something... part of me won't believe he's gone until she comes home without him... Charcoal was the only cat that ever really put up with me. as much as i love all the cats, he was the only one who ever loved me back... when i was younger, i would joke that if he were a human, i would marry him... he was my buddy, and i'll miss him a great deal. my sister doesn't believe me, because our relationship was more private, so my sister thinks she's the only one upset by his passing... she wouldn't even let me go with him to say goodbye... i feel horrible now, i really miss my Char-kitty... this was the last picture i took of him, about a week before christmas, to put on my christmas cards...

Old Witch
January 27th, 2006, 12:07 AM
I'm so, so sorry...

Catiana
January 27th, 2006, 12:21 AM

halfwaynowhere
January 27th, 2006, 12:41 AM
thanks everyone, today has just been really draining for me... and it turns out the reason my sister wouldn't let me go with her, and why she's not home yet, is that she went to a party, and i guess she didn't want to take the trouble to bring me home afterwards... i keep crying, but i know that charcoal is in a better place now.

WtchyChick13
January 27th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Oh sweetie I'm so sorry. I hope Charcoal is at peace and that you know that he loves you and will be with you always. You let yourself mourn the way YOU want to ok? You and Charcoal had a special connection and no one can take that away from you.

Much love sweetie. :hugz:

LadyAquamarina
February 12th, 2006, 06:36 PM
R.I.P. Zippy. May we meet again in another life someday. Goddess please watch over my child as she sleeps.
By the way, Zippy was a cat.

Catiana
February 12th, 2006, 06:47 PM

TWILIGHTSKY
March 18th, 2006, 03:25 AM
I'm sorry, truly.

Having a pet is more than "owning" an animal. It's opening you're heart to all the joy, laughter, and unconditional love that only an animal can give.

It's having a friend who will give you a shoulder to cry on, who enjoys your company and never finds you boring; who forgives you when you make a mistake, who would lay their life down to save yours, as you would do anything you could for them.

A pet is a part of your family. When they get ill, you worry, and if they run off, you fear that you'll never see them again, but when they come home, scratching on the door, you can't be mad- how can you stay upset with someone whose whole body says, I'M HOME!! AREN'T YOU PROUD OF ME!!

They intertwine the tiniest of their habits with your daily life, so much so that when they're gone, the mere absence of their curled sleeping body shouts out silence.

The memory of their head gently butting up under your hand for some love seems to be real, as you can still feel the texture of their fur flowing through your fingers.

Erica, I love you so much, and no one is going to tell me you didn't have a soul. All they had to do was gaze into your eyes and they would have seen, would have felt, would have known. I miss you so much.

enchancea
March 20th, 2006, 06:47 AM
My cat Tobi was found in my neighbors pool. She had been shot with a paintball gun. She was under a year old. I miss you dearly Tobi.

WtchyChick13
March 20th, 2006, 06:34 PM
My cat Tobi was found in my neighbors pool. She had been shot with a paintball gun. She was under a year old. I miss you dearly Tobi.

Oh my god I am so SO sorry!

I don't know what to say except I'm so sorry. I'm thinking of you sweetie and Tobi and wish I could give you a huge hug. :hugz:

I just got off the phone with a friend of ours and she told me that she's going to have to put her dog down this week. She's 14 and has had a full life and what a cutie she is as well. Big Akita dog who loves a good bear hug. I didn't see her often and I was horribly allergic to her but always made the exception to cuddle with her (and then run and wash my hands real fast!). We're going to miss her but I know not as much as Lucy and her hubby. :(

One more, one of my squirrels lost a battle with a falcon this weekend. Poor thing...I think it was one of the babies too. :( :(

Cindlady2
March 21st, 2006, 06:21 AM

Hope you find the little SO'nSOs that did it! File a police report in any case, if you do find out who did it at least you will have a report on file and can start to prosecute!

Xerenity
May 15th, 2006, 11:01 PM
My husband and i have lost our Tuffy, grey maine coon to kidney disease. Tuffy was taken to the vets to be euthanised today. Tuffy was 15 years old. He loved all and enjoyed being with everyone. I will miss my tuffy a great deal. Tuffy used to beat up Harvey Our Male Akita, just image a 100lb dog that looks like a bear running in the opposite direction of a 15 lb cat that hissed and swatted at the dog. Just having a memory share. Thanks

Catiana
May 15th, 2006, 11:36 PM
My husband and i have lost our Tuffy, grey maine coon to kidney disease. Tuffy was taken to the vets to be euthanised today. Tuffy was 15 years old. He loved all and enjoyed being with everyone. I will miss my tuffy a great deal. Tuffy used to beat up Harvey Our Male Akita, just image a 100lb dog that looks like a bear running in the opposite direction of a 15 lb cat that hissed and swatted at the dog. Just having a memory share. Thanks

WtchyChick13
May 15th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Cross gently Tuffy. And big healing hugs to your family. :hugz: :huddle: :hugz:

AutumnWitchie
May 16th, 2006, 12:41 AM

:hugz::rubhead: We lost our Andy, a white long haired kitty, to kidney disease about 2 years ago. I'm sorry.

Cindlady2
May 16th, 2006, 02:56 AM
:hugz: Peace to Tuffy.

Xerenity
May 16th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Thank You all so much. Tuffy will be dearly missed but for now i have his older Sister Sleepy to try and keep in line. She is out of sorts and crying missing him.

dragoncrone
June 14th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Last night my son called to tell me their cat Balloo had been hit by a car yesterday and put down. They called him Balloo - from the Jungle Book - because when he was a kitten he looked like a little bear. He and my daughter/law had this cat for ten years, even before their son was born - took him with them through three western states - he was such a cool, mellow dude.
Now his spirit has been reclaimed by the Cat Goddess Bast.
I'm sending t hem a copy of 'The Tenth Good Thing About Barney,' it's a little book about a kid whose pet cat dies -- very comforting and very pagan, although not intentionally...

Sennefer
June 14th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Old Witch
June 14th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Philosophia
June 14th, 2006, 08:35 PM

enchancea
June 25th, 2006, 04:24 AM
My cocoa died today from old age. Im gonna miss her alot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/enchancea/myspace/large-msg-1130829107-2.jpg

Cindlady2
June 25th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Peace to Cocoa ..... and to you.

ap Dafydd
June 30th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Another sad posting from me as on Wednesday our eldest lady, Heulwen, died. I'll miss her, fierce, loudmouthed, grumpy, and ever so loving as she was. Now she hunts mice in the Lady's garden as once she did in ours, and sleeps in Her sunlight until we meet again.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

Philosophia
June 30th, 2006, 07:57 AM
:hugz: I'll light a candle to help her on her way. _pounce_

Cindlady2
July 1st, 2006, 05:37 AM
Peace and good hunting to Heulwen..... and peace to you.

Bryony
July 4th, 2006, 07:42 PM
My 16 year old cat and best friend died last night. I was not there, but mom was holding her when she died, so she was not alone.

This is a picture of us last year, when she was fifteen.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c357/spockette1/kitties/cindyandme.jpg

This is her looking at me as I take a picture of her.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c357/spockette1/kitties/Cindy.jpg

I was just as much her person as she was my cat.

Zephyrstorm
July 16th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Two days ago, we had to say goodbye to our German Shepherd, Pepper.
My husband and his father got Pepper when William and I were just dating, and he was one of the most noble and gentle beings I've known. He apparently had been sick for a while, because in June, when we discovered he was dying, the cancer was in all his major organs. I think he hid it from the family to keep us from worrying. He was just that kind of dog.
Bless you, Pep, my life was made brighter for your presence.

Pepper, Spring, 1998 - Summer, 2006 (http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g317/neheti/Family/?action=view&current=100_0013.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch4)

Catiana
July 16th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Cindlady2
August 4th, 2006, 05:51 AM
To those I missed lately (sorry, been ill off and on)...

Peace and a pleasant journey to your pets.... peace to you!

keltickat
September 25th, 2006, 04:25 PM
My beautiful Peanut Underfoot left for Summerland or onto another life early this morning.

Sobeq
September 25th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I just got a call from my parents... my kitty, Cassie, had to be put down this weekend. Apparently, she had suffered a stroke, or had dementia, or some other neurological problem (my parents didn't have extensive tests done). She was sleeping in the litter box, and wouldn't get out for anything. If my mom tried to move her out, she'd go back in.

I'm so sad that I wasn't there :(.

She had a catster site, you can see lots of cute pictures of her here (http://www.catster.com/?334591)...

TheWomanMonster
November 24th, 2006, 02:03 PM
(In loving memory of Beau, the bearded dragon)

Found our littlest dragon, cold and stiff.
So unlike the way he was in life.
Spirits guide him safely to his new position,
let his being be warm and well...

Young_BRWolf
November 28th, 2006, 03:17 AM
This week I am putting my best friend to sleep. My Beautiful boy Beau. He got very sick from a condition that no one knew he had. I had done everythignthat i could do for him. and I will miss him very much when it is time to say good bye .

Cindlady2
December 6th, 2006, 06:13 AM
(In loving memory of Beau, the bearded dragon)

Found our littlest dragon, cold and stiff.
So unlike the way he was in life.
Spirits guide him safely to his new position,
let his being be warm and well...
May he find a nice warm spot in the sun!
Peace to both of you!

Cindlady2
December 6th, 2006, 06:15 AM
This week I am putting my best friend to sleep. My Beautiful boy Beau. He got very sick from a condition that no one knew he had. I had done everythignthat i could do for him. and I will miss him very much when it is time to say good bye .
Know you are doing the best for him and he will know it too.
Peace to both of you!

Philosophia
December 6th, 2006, 06:38 PM
One of my close friends, my dog Sheila passed away last night. She was 16 years old (in human years) from an infection that couldn't be stopped.
I miss her terribly but I know she is safe in the arms of the Goddess,

Cindlady2
December 7th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Awww, She was a baby. :(
Peace to both of you!

Stumble
December 19th, 2006, 01:53 AM
These are only the ones I have loved and lost in the last year. Others have been outside kittens I did not know well. Most of these kittens I bottle fed myself as they got sicker and sicker. I lost Green Bean yesterday. I bawled for each of them when it happened but I am crying even now as I type.

Bobo, 1 of our horses
Abby, my Golden Retriever
Tommy, our Bull Mastif
Tibby, 1 of our outside cats
Scrappy, 1 of our outside cats
Stubby, less than 3 month old kitten
Oreo, less than 1 month old kitten
Wizard, less than 1 month old kitten
Snowball, less than 1 month old kitten
Green Bean, less than 1 month old kitten
Minute, less than 2 weeks old
Unnamed kitten, less than 2 weeks old
Unnamed kitten, less than 2 days old

We live on a farm and take in many strays. Sometimes animals are abandoned because they are very sick and the owner doesn't want to deal with it but when they reach us at least they get a compfortable loving place to rest, a burial, and a simple stone.

Cindlady2
December 19th, 2006, 08:20 AM
When you live on a farm you know death all too well. You also realize that death also gives life!
It's very hard when you try your best to give them more time here, but their life still seems but a breath. Return them to the earth, with your love. Let them rest. Let them bring new life to the grasses, and the lowly creatures who feed. Let the love that went with them carry to to those who must eat, and become fed upon. And the circle moves on.

Peace to you and all who have left you.

Khaelo
December 28th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Polaris "Polo" McL---
Australian Shepherd Extraordinaire
May 17, 1996 - December 27, 2006
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/khaelo/polo3.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/khaelo/polo6.png

Polo was a real trooper with a sweet spirit and great strength. His "arthritis" turned out to be advanced bone cancer. :wah2: Bone cancer is incredibly painful, and the vet said that this kind tends to spread into the lungs and liver. Polo was my first dog, and he's the first one I've had to see put down. As they put him on the table to give the euthanizing injection, I was in tears. And despite his pain and his poor condition, "Dr." Polo gave me kisses to make me feel better, as he usually did when he saw me cry or bleed. He was a very good dog.

My family owns another Aussie, Milo, who seems to be oblivious to Polo's absence. Milo is a cheerful comfort, but I want Polo back. :sadeyes:

Catiana
December 28th, 2006, 02:28 AM

Cindlady2
December 28th, 2006, 06:46 AM
:hugz: Peace to both of you.

BlueMoon13
December 29th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Condolescences and blessings to all who have left and those who have been left behind this year.
"Hoof and horn, hoof and horn. All who die will be reborn."
:huddle:

Shanti
January 24th, 2007, 11:26 PM
My Lazer....
You hung on. That last week I couldn't believe you would be with us on the day we moved to the new house...but you hung on. I am glad you passed here, with us. I didn't want to say good by at the old house.
I hope the smells of the pine trees and the sounds of the birds gave you one last thrill. It was sad you couldn't run with your brother. I just hope all of us being together filled your heart.

It was hard Lazer, to say goodby. Even though the cancer left you looking horrid, I still saw the pup inside you. I'll always remember the pup, Lazer.

Goodby sweetpea. I miss you. You'll be buried in the field by the pastures so you can forever run as your heart always loved so much.
Run free my friend....run free.

5/3/93-1/20/07

person of shadow
January 25th, 2007, 12:10 AM
:hugz: I am so sorry..May Lazer forever be remembered as the pup you first met...:hugz:

Catiana
January 25th, 2007, 12:13 AM

Cindlady2
January 25th, 2007, 06:18 AM
:hugz: Peace to Lazar and to you!

Shanti
January 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks everyone.
Lazer was born in my bed. Her mother had a rough time and had to be rushed to the vet for hemorrhaging. Lazers brother, Toad was to big and ripped his poor mom apart during the birth.
All was well after that scare till a very important lesson in life had to be learned.

I believed Weasel, the mom dog, was trained enough to be always trusted. But wrong. I learned you can never trust an animal to just someday not listen and go off on its own thoughts. That day happened. Early morning, when the pups were 5 weeks old, I took Weasel outside to fill the bird feeders. I didn't use a leash. I never needed to. Weasel always went out with me to fill the feeders. Well, she saw a cat. This particular morning she decided to bolt after it. My commands fell on ignored ears. The cat crossed the highway, Weasel was hit by a car.
After loosing Weasel I vowed to be the best mom to her pups. It took my 2 years to forgive myself for being a stupid human and putting my dog at risk by not using a leash. When you live on a highway or busy road, never trust your dog is always going to listen. And re-enforce your training with refresher lessons regularly!! I learned the hard way.
And Weasel lost her life for my lesson.

Lazer and Toad I have loved, kept safe and watched them grow old.
Now, I watched Lazer pass. I cant believe time has moved so fast. I still remember her birth like it was yesterday. I remember her love of running threw the tall grasses in the fields. She jumped like a tiny deer over grass taller than her. She was a beautiful dog. I think her mom would of been proud. I hope I have done right with Lazer and Toad.

Eleisawolf
January 25th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks everyone.
Lazer was born in my bed. Her mother had a rough time and had to be rushed to the vet for hemorrhaging. Lazers brother, Toad was to big and ripped his poor mom apart during the birth.
All was well after that scare till a very important lesson in life had to be learned.

I believed Weasel, the mom dog, was trained enough to be always trusted. But wrong. I learned you can never trust an animal to just someday not listen and go off on its own thoughts. That day happened. Early morning, when the pups were 5 weeks old, I took Weasel outside to fill the bird feeders. I didn't use a leash. I never needed to. Weasel always went out with me to fill the feeders. Well, she saw a cat. This particular morning she decided to bolt after it. My commands fell on ignored ears. The cat crossed the highway, Weasel was hit by a car.
After loosing Weasel I vowed to be the best mom to her pups. It took my 2 years to forgive myself for being a stupid human and putting my dog at risk by not using a leash. When you live on a highway or busy road, never trust your dog is always going to listen. And re-enforce your training with refresher lessons regularly!! I learned the hard way.
And Weasel lost her life for my lesson.

Lazer and Toad I have loved, kept safe and watched them grow old.
Now, I watched Lazer pass. I cant believe time has moved so fast. I still remember her birth like it was yesterday. I remember her love of running threw the tall grasses in the fields. She jumped like a tiny deer over grass taller than her. She was a beautiful dog. I think her mom would of been proud. I hope I have done right with Lazer and Toad.

I'm certain both Lazer and Weasel will be waiting for you... Peace to your heart, Shanti.

Iris
January 26th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Yesterday evening my parents had to put my dog down. I had had this dog for 19 years; I'm 21, so that's practically my whole life. She had a lot of health issues...finally, these last few days, she couldn't stand up. The vet said her body had given up...the only thing that kept her going this long was her spirit. My mum gave her a last meal, and Honey couldn't even raise her head to eat...she had to be helped to get the food in her mouth. What's weirdest for me right now is that I wasn't there to see it, so it doesn't feel real (I am away at school and there wasn't really time to go home since my parents wanted to do it as soon as possible and stop her suffering...) I've been saying goodbye in one form or another for a few years now...still it hasn't really sunk in yet that she's gone...I think when I go back home I'll expect to see her lying on her bed in the corner like always...I don't really know how to grieve when I can't make myself believe she's gone... :-/

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/Lea_32/DSCN2743.jpg

ap Dafydd
January 26th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Yesterday Martha went to rest with the Goddess.

She was 10 and her kidneys had failed.

When she came to us as a little abused kitten, she was in total fear of humans, especially our hands. After years of love, at last she had come to trust us and catch up on all the cuddles she had missed as a little one.

We will miss her truly, though the Guardians will keep her safe until we meet again.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

Cindlady2
January 27th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Peace to Honey and Iris!:hugz:

Peace to Martha and ap Dafydd!:hugz:

I'm sure they feel your love for them!

Skylah
February 3rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
A couple of days ago, I received a sympathy card in the mail from my vet. Everyone signed the card. It was a special card; a Rainbow Bridge card.

I first set eyes on my precious little Porsha, when she was 2 hours old. My friend and neighbour Tammy's cat had just had her kittens. I saw her nearly everyday, until she was 7 weeks old, and then took her home with me.

Soft/silky fur and eyes of emerald green, she has been the light of my life!! We used to have play-time together every night of her life (I called it "mom-daughter quality time"). Then I would carry her to her cat bed (beside my bed) every night, and say "Sweet dreams my precious!".

My precious little Porsha had a good quality of life, then to make a long sad story short, recently her little kidneys just couldn't keep working. My Porsha passed away gently in my arms at the vets on January 24th of this year. She was my heart and I will always love her!

Through our vet visits, Porsha always took a special liking to a vet assistant named Dayna. I would say, "Look Porsha, It's your Aunty Dayna!" and she would purr and lean towards Dayna. What touched my heart so much, is that in the Rainbow Bridge card that they sent me, Dayna signed her name "Aunty Dayna".

Porsha
March 19, 1990 to January 24, 2007

Cindlady2
February 4th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Wow, that's wonderful! I didn't know they had cards.
Peace to Porsha and to you!

Marcasite
February 23rd, 2007, 05:54 PM
At the age of 13, we had to put Tiffany down due to a large tumor in her stomach. Tiffany was the sweetest cat ever. If there was a warm lap available, you would never find her anywhere else. She loved licking plastic bags and her favorite pastimes were eating and cuddling. She will be dearly missed. Our appartment feels so empty without her.http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/tapiocashadow/cuddlebuddies.jpg

Cindlady2
February 24th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Peace to Tiffany and to you!

Shanti
February 24th, 2007, 05:09 AM
I don't post much. Its hard for me to read this thread.

But ~hugs~ and healing wishes to those who lost a furchild.

Pinion
February 24th, 2007, 07:40 AM
No time is long enough to share with those we love or to prepare our hearts for good-bye. May time soften the pain until all that remains is the comfort of memories and the love...Always the Love...

Wishing you all the Peace that comes with knowing you have loved, been loved, and are still loved, even now. May you feel that love, soft as a whisper or gentle as a dream, to remind you that someone special waits for you.

Eleisawolf
April 24th, 2007, 03:31 PM
This isn't a pet. Nevertheless, I feel the need to put it here because I was a part of attempts to save it. The poor sweet died yesterday afternoon.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/471580607_5555df17b0.jpg

I'm deeply saddened by the loss. May this poor baby be flying free, with open air and no corporate canyons to trap hir. May ze be at rest in the All Mother's bosom.

Peace

Pinion
April 24th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Bless you for trying to save her! I'm so sorry she didn't make it.

Wishing sweet owl safe journey...

GEBS
April 26th, 2007, 01:58 PM
We lost our baby Ball Python, Bob, yesterday. :sadeyes: We're not sure what happened. He refused to eat for the last two months. We kept offering food. He'd kill it and leave it there (luckily the alligator would eat what was killed). He was acting normal up until the last week or so. He seemed less active. But he's done that before. He would be very active for a while and then hardly move for a few days. I thought he was just doing that again. But when mol got up yesterday morning he was laying dead in his enclosure.

We miss him :(

Shanti
April 26th, 2007, 02:06 PM
We lost our baby Ball Python, Bob, yesterday. :sadeyes: We're not sure what happened. He refused to eat for the last two months. We kept offering food. He'd kill it and leave it there (luckily the alligator would eat what was killed). He was acting normal up until the last week or so. He seemed less active. But he's done that before. He would be very active for a while and then hardly move for a few days. I thought he was just doing that again. But when mol got up yesterday morning he was laying dead in his enclosure.

So sorry for your loss.
If you have other snakes have you checked for mouth fungus? That often causes the behavior you described and it is contagious.
Worming reps is sometimes needed too.

GEBS
April 26th, 2007, 02:25 PM
We do have another snake. Is that something that we could transfer on our hands? The snakes have never been in the same room with each other. Omni (older red tail boa) doesn't seem to be having any problems at all.

Pinion
April 26th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I am so sorry for your loss! Reptiles can fall victim to so many things...it's very hard to know what/when something is wrong. I'm glad he had a loving home...may he sleep in light at Rainbow Bridge.

Willow Rosette
April 26th, 2007, 02:48 PM
January 4th of 2002 was the worst day of my life, because it's the day my beloved cockatiel tika died. I had treated him as the child of my heart, and the loss of him was devastating.

So, in memory of him, here's a thread for all of our furry, feathery, scaly children who have passed on. Please feel free to share your grief here, write wonderful anecdotes about all the things they did that made you smile and laugh, and all the times they just seemed to know that you needed them there.

Because it helped me so much, I wanted to post it here....

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown..

Also, visit PetLoss.com (http://www.petloss.com) for more information on coping with the loss of your special friend. (It's also where I found this copy of The Rainbow Bridge.)

That is so beautiful!

Shanti
April 26th, 2007, 03:30 PM
We do have another snake. Is that something that we could transfer on our hands? The snakes have never been in the same room with each other. Omni (older red tail boa) doesn't seem to be having any problems at all.

Gosh Gebs, its been years since I have dealt with snakes. I know though that if you guys didn't think of it before, you will do your research!!
That's why I mentioned it, in case yous didn't think of any of it.
I remember that I always watched for mouth fungus, especially in new snakes. I worried about the fact that stuff can be hidden a long time in reps before it finally starts to show symptoms. So I was always a tad paranoid, or overly cautious. I just worried a lot about my reps. I love the reps.
So off hand I don't remember the details of rep mouth fungus.

Sorry.

Catiana
April 26th, 2007, 03:39 PM

GEBS
April 26th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks so much for mentioning it. I didn't think of it before. The only problem we've had with Omni is a respiratory infection. We took care of that fairly easily. mol checks his mouth often because of the respiratory problems he's had. It seemed to be recurring with him. He's been healthy for a while now though.

I will look up the fungus. We would be devastated if something happened to Omni.

Thanks again. :hugz:

person of shadow
April 26th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that! He was a cutie! I don't even want to think about what I'd feel if I lost one of my snakes.

I"m so sorry :hugz:

Cindlady2
April 27th, 2007, 03:54 AM
May the little owl fly free!

May the little python find good hunting!

Don't blame yourselves....
Infections with Reps. can be so devastating. We lost 3 in 1 week once. By the time the first started showing symptoms and we made an appointment, the other 2 were infected and we didn't realize it. By the time we could get then to the vet. (this of course had to happen over a long weekend when the vet was gone :( ) it was too late to save them. At least we got the others taken care of before they got sick.

Cindlady2
April 30th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Well, this is as ironic as it gets....
We lost our "Speedy" today. He was our red eard slider turtle. We had him for 11 years. This last couple of months he was fighting infections off and on. We planned on taking him to the vet. tomorrow to try a different medication, but he just couldn't hold out.
He will be missed.

Shanti
April 30th, 2007, 10:40 AM
We lost our "Speedy" today. He was our red eard slider turtle. We had him for 11 years. This last couple of months he was fighting infections off and on. We planned on taking him to the vet. tomorrow to try a different medication, but he just couldn't hold out.
He will be missed.
So Sorry. :(

GEBS
April 30th, 2007, 10:50 AM
aww :( that's so sad.

Catiana
April 30th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Baba Yaga
May 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM
My dog Loki was 11 years old. I had to be separated from him for about a year, to deal with my husband's arrest and trial. I recently got him back. the vet found that he had heartworms and congestive heart failure. I had begun to treat him for it, and yesterday took him for a walk, as the vet said he needed some exercise. I had had him his entire life. His mother abandoned him, and so I bottle fed him and hand raised him. I used to carry him in pocket until he got too big. Well, on our walk yesterday, he lay down and wouldn't walk anymore. I tried to carry him, but we didn't make it back before he let go. Maybe if I had stayed home, made the walk shorter, he would still be here, I don't know. But he is gone, and my heart is broken. To Loki.

Baba Yaga
May 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM
He will be missed.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what it is to run out of time.

WtchyChick13
May 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Catiana
May 25th, 2007, 10:04 PM

Iris
May 25th, 2007, 11:53 PM
My dog Loki was 11 years old. I had to be separated from him for about a year, to deal with my husband's arrest and trial. I recently got him back. the vet found that he had heartworms and congestive heart failure. I had begun to treat him for it, and yesterday took him for a walk, as the vet said he needed some exercise. I had had him his entire life. His mother abandoned him, and so I bottle fed him and hand raised him. I used to carry him in pocket until he got too big. Well, on our walk yesterday, he lay down and wouldn't walk anymore. I tried to carry him, but we didn't make it back before he let go. Maybe if I had stayed home, made the walk shorter, he would still be here, I don't know. But he is gone, and my heart is broken. To Loki.

Oh, Baba Yaga :hugz: please don't torture yourself with 'what ifs'. You were doing what you thought was best for him...getting him out for walkies! At least he had the chance to feel the wind on his back and maybe the sunshine one more time. My dog lay down back in January and couldn't get up again...she was 18...I had grown up with her...I know just how you feel :hugz:

Cindlady2
May 26th, 2007, 01:54 AM

It sounds like it might have just been a matter of time anyway. Don't blame yourself, sometimes there is nothing we can do.

Thanks about Speedy.
I still expect him to be in the tank with the other two. He just couldn't seem to shake the infections.

Baba Yaga
May 26th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Oh, Baba Yaga :hugz: please don't torture yourself with 'what ifs'. You were doing what you thought was best for him...getting him out for walkies! At least he had the chance to feel the wind on his back and maybe the sunshine one more time. My dog lay down back in January and couldn't get up again...she was 18...I had grown up with her...I know just how you feel :hugz:

Thank you. Now that I'm a little calmer, I see that it coud have been much harder for him.

Baba Yaga
May 26th, 2007, 06:59 AM
It sounds like it might have just been a matter of time anyway. Don't blame yourself, sometimes there is nothing we can do.

Thanks about Speedy.
I still expect him to be in the tank with the other two. He just couldn't seem to shake the infections.

Thank you. I know that we know that we're only human and we can't fix everything, but because these creatures rely on us completely, we feel like we should be able to fix everything for them. Its frustrating. And I still see my dog on floor in his favorite spot, too.

halfwaynowhere
May 27th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Rex, my hamster, died. He had been acting fine, although my mom said he was getting a little thin, I never really noticed, and he was eating just fine. I heard him moving around last night, I usually let him sleep during the day and only play with him in the evening when he would wake up and come to the side of his cage, asking for attention. I noticed that he hadn't eaten his food I gave him last night, hadn't even touched it, so I poked him to see if he was okay, and sure enough, he wasn't sleeping. I'm heartbroken. I wanted a hamster for so long, and I finally got one, and he was perfect from day one. He was sweet and cuddly, and loved attention. He loved chasing the cats in his hamster ball. I never got to get pictures or a video of that. I don't know if I could ever find another hamster as great as Rex, I spent so much time and money getting everything perfect for him, to only have him for such a short time is so heartbreaking. I have to email his last owner and let her know, but I'm dreading it. I think it was just his time, I know they have a short lifespan, and that's what I get for rescuing.

Catiana
May 27th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Lunadria
May 29th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Tomorrow is going to be so hard, my beloved dog has been suffering from heart failure for the past 5 months and after visiting the vet today it was agreed that he would be put to sleep tomorrow morning. :( We have had him since I was 15 and I can't imagine not seeing him again. My father is going to be the one to take him to the vet as I am at work and I feel for him so much. He hasn't coped at all well tonight, he feels guilty for choosing when Monet dies, he wanted nature to takes it's course, but unfortunately that would be too painful for him, so we had to come to this decision. I've spent all evening cuddling him, but nothing I do feels enough. I don't know how to say goodbye to him.

Wolf O Volos
May 29th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Tomorrow is going to be so hard, my beloved dog has been suffering from heart failure for the past 5 months and after visiting the vet today it was agreed that he would be put to sleep tomorrow morning. :( We have had him since I was 15 and I can't imagine not seeing him again. My father is going to be the one to take him to the vet as I am at work and I feel for him so much. He hasn't coped at all well tonight, he feels guilty for choosing when Monet dies, he wanted nature to takes it's course, but unfortunately that would be too painful for him, so we had to come to this decision. I've spent all evening cuddling him, but nothing I do feels enough. I don't know how to say goodbye to him.

I will be praying for him, and for your family, that he is comfortable and happy in the transition, and that your family has the strength to know that the guilt is outweighed by the knowledge that your poor guy would be miserable once he got to the point of his congestive heart failure, that he could no longer keep his "puppy" spirt and be as active, playfull, and loving, as he would have liked.

It is never easy to say goodbye. Just keep him in your heart, and there really isn't a good bye that is permanant.

Cindlady2
May 30th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Peace to both of you.

Old Witch
May 30th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I am so sorry for everyones loss... :hugz:

Catiana
May 30th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Windygo
July 9th, 2007, 02:40 AM
I just visited my dog Indy, today. After overcoming his annual allergies he came down with a bad case of diabetes (I'm not a vet, I'm not sure how....) He was a cocker mutt who was starting to get cataracts at the ripe old age of 11, so I knew he didn't have long. And it seems like a good time for him to go- I, the youngest, have been away at school for a year and probably won't go home as often any more. Still, he was treated to a family visit today, and there was tension all over- he wasn't paticularly smart or funny or affectionate, but it was a sadder event then when my grandparents started dying off two years ago. I've never seen my dad so emotional.

He wasn't eating, drinking, or moving very much. We let him lay outside as he wanted and fanned the gnats off of him. I had to return to campus soon after so I said my goodbyes. That was probably the last time I will ever see him (if he doesn't die on his own, he'll be put to sleep.)

Catiana
July 9th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Lorrie
July 10th, 2007, 04:06 PM
May your spirit be free, my old friend.:cheers:

Cindlady2
July 11th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Peace to both of you.

Wolf O Volos
July 17th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Well, my kitty isn't dead, but I had to give her up during this time of transition...
I miss my Isis. She was always there for me with a silly look when she knew I was down, liked to headbutt me awake when she wanted affection, and she and I used to have funny little conversations all the time meowing at one another...

of all the things I have had to lose recently, I miss my Isis the most.

I just hope that wherever she is right now, she is being well cared for, and she is happy...

Merrilyn
July 17th, 2007, 12:20 PM

Cindlady2
July 18th, 2007, 05:45 AM
:hugz: May she have a happy life!

WitchOfEndor
July 19th, 2007, 10:22 AM
My cousin found a lil kitten a year ago, the vet said it was about 3 weeks old & my cousin bottle fed the lil thing & nursed it to full health. It slept with her every night & my cousin was so devoted to it. Well it's just taken ill & it's kidneys are failing & the poor lil thing is suffering, my cousin has decided to have it put to sleep & she's a total wreck. I feel so bad for them both. Any spare kind thoughts directed to my cousin Patti & that sweet lil orange fluff ball Tigger would be greatly appretiated.

Catiana
July 19th, 2007, 06:44 PM
:hugz: for Patti & Tigger

WarriorZhanna
July 30th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Two days ago our black Egyptian Mau kitten, Minni, died. She died on my mum's chest. Minni was an ill kitten (she had water in her lungs, a scar on her head & a lack of the protetion of immune-system) & was treated badly by her previous owners until she found her home at our place (we've been thinking of reporting about animal abuse). I am glad Minni spent her happiest moments with us at the country-side. We buried her there yesterday morning.
She was such a cute kitten, so affectionate & loyal. I miss her so much, it feels so empty without her. She used to jump onto my bed at night and sleep close to me. She had the most beautiful sultry green eyes I've ever seen on a cat. I hope she will return to us as a healthy re-incarnated kitten someday. :(
Even though I miss her I suppose it's good that she passed away because she was suffering from asthma & internal pain because of the water in her lungs.

*goes and lits candles & incense in remembrance of Minni* I pray to the Egyptian Cat Goddess Bastet that her soul rests in perfect peace & light & returns to us when she feels ready. Blessed Be.

And here's is a picture of cute little Minni.

Catiana
July 30th, 2007, 09:07 PM

PandoraHealer
July 30th, 2007, 09:58 PM
well.... In the midst of my daughter having open heart surgery today- and my AC unit sprining a massive leak- that ruined my carpet and a bit of my furniture, the truck isn't running right and hubby has been trying to fix it all nite- until the AC went apeshit...... AND- one of our dogs died today.. .

She had Clostridial gastroenteritis..... a bacteria in the intestines.... We were at the hosp. with our daughter when my friend called (she came by to let the dogs out). willa had a runny, boogery nose in the middle of last week and with our daughter headed to the hospital soon, we didn't have a chance to take her in- we didn't think it was a HUGE deal- and i was going to take her tomarrow or wed....

My friend said she had puked and pooped all over the living room, down the hall and in our bedroom. my friend and her husband took her to the clinic and she didnt make it there... died on the way.... We came home and went to the clinic with our other dogs to get them looked at. - they're on antibiotics now, and we got to see our Willa- she was in the freezer... she just looked horrible. We're hopefully going to be able to make payment arrangements with the creamation place and get her ashes in an urn and everything... it's 170$.....

I just hate this- she was only 3 and didn't deserve to go through that..... I feel like such a horrible person and I miss my baby....

And i havent stopped crying since 7 am- my daughter went into surgery at 7:30- got out at noon, we were able to go see her as soon as my friend called- so i let my hubby and mom go back and see her and then i found out about Willa. then when i saw my daughter it just got worse, then when we took our other dog in= she has the bacteria and heartworms so we're working on that too.... it just everything all at once....
I hate this......

and I don't have anyone close by that is even 1/2 way able to help- theres only 2 people that could help me. one has kids and is 45 min away- the other is 5 states away....

I just want to croak....

Cindlady2
July 31st, 2007, 06:46 AM
:hugz: :hugz: :hugz: Peace to all of you!

Xerenity
August 12th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I am so sorry for your loss PandoraHealer. I can understand how you feel.

My husband and I had to put down our beautiful baby Girl Nikita on thursday Morning. I took her to the emergency Vet clinic for bloat or Torsion. She was diagonise with it, so the option was to try and releive the pressure of the gas build up in her tummy. During the procedure the vet found complications from what we are not too sure. The vet seemed to think Nikita had a mass in her stomach and suggested we put her down.

Nikita was a beautiful brindle pinto akita, 9 yrs old from a breeder in Montana. She had a loving personality and would greet everyone at the door the same way, with her voice high in "WOO, WOO" and her whole body wagging. She would also drag her younger brother Harvey along too.

Mind you, I didn't get Nikita to the vet's in time because I had just gotten home from the hospital saying goodbye to my 91 yr old Nana. We had a double dose in 4 hours.
I can say that Nikita was buried in a place where we can visit her anytime and she is with good friends and family.

Sorry for everyone's losses the past year. This just seems to be a year of balances good and bad at least it seems to be my opinion.

Cindlady2
August 13th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Wow, that's a tough double dose!
May you all find peace.

halfwaynowhere
August 21st, 2007, 11:48 AM
Probably about a year ago, we found Zeus, a german shepherd mix in our storm drain, he was about 7 months at the time. He looked similar to my sister's dog, Zena, so we kept him for awhile. He had some behavioral issues, but was really a great dog. He was the only thing that could break Ashe, our very first dog, from her depression. Zeus didn't get along with Oberon, so we kept them seperated until my sister moved out, taking him along with Ashe and Zena. Zeus didn't work out in the new home, either, and they knew they had to rehome him. After lots of searching, they found him the perfect home with an elderly lady in the desert. She had another dog that was getting up there in age, and she wanted her to have a companion. He went to his new home about 2 months ago.

Yesterday we got news that Zeus had been killed. Apparantly his owner had taken him out for a walk, as usual, and they encountered a huge rattle snake that was ready to strike the owner. Zeus heroically stepped in front of her, and was attacked. I'm not sure exactly what happened, the snake got him in the neck, and I think the bite did more damage than the venom. They took him to the hospital, but it was too late. He was less than two years old. Its devastating to hear of his passing, but it just shows what a great dog he was, he hadn't known this woman for more than two months, and he put his own life in front of hers. If he couldn't survive the bite, I don't think his owner would have been able to survive had she been attacked.

Cindlady2
August 22nd, 2007, 01:30 AM
To ZEUS!:cheers: May his bravery be rewarded in his next life!

Merrilyn
August 22nd, 2007, 07:50 AM
:hugz: all around!

Willow Rosette
September 10th, 2007, 12:12 AM
We lost Tinker Bell tonight. She was such a love and we where so blessed to have her. We had her only 1 month but in that time she gave so much love. More than I ever thought a person could get from a little rat.

Willow Rosette
September 10th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Oops that wasnt a very good picture. Here is a better one of Tinker Bell.