PDA

View Full Version : Female/Male Cats..and their instincts.

Danustouch
July 11th, 2003, 03:50 AM
I've noticed a certain phenomena amongst my cats which I think might be instinctual, as I know it is common amongst lions and other large cat breeds. Was wondering if you had all had similar experiences.

First thing, John and I have three male cats, and only one female. Our littlest one, Kitten Little, the female, is still incredibly energetic, for her three years of age. Even the vet says that she acts far more like a kitten, then a full grown cat (by the way, she has him completely charmed too).
She's very playful, very curious, very talkative, very attentive, very affectionate, etc.

Our three males, are not quite as energetic. Boris, is elderly, so that is understandable. Terra, has grown FAT with his laziness, and even when he is outside, he really isn't too active (somedays he gets in a frisky mood, but, i look out all too often to see him napping on the lawn, rather than chasing bugs, birds or anything else) I've seen days where he has slept from the moment I've awaken, until around 8 at night.
Winter, is a bit more active as far as I can tell...though he is still FAR lazier than the female. and he is only about four-five months older than she.

What really gives me an indication on their differen't energy levels, is my LittleOne's Hunting ability/addiction. She's an entirely Indoor cat...and spends each night on the lookout for any mosquitos, moths, or beetles who are unlucky enough to fly into our one unscreened window. Seriously, ALL night, she is awake hunting. She doesn't rest. If she see's a bug, she cries, whimpers, chatters, and even get's so excited that her mouth opens to make noise, and vibrates, but no sound comes out. (I think she forgets to make the noise, in her excitement or something). She zigzags around this apartment, jumping up on countertops, shelves, and the like in hot pursuit. When she finally does catch them, she just bats them around for a bit. Doing the normal "Playing with my food" thing that cats do.

However, if she is unlucky enough to have one of her brothers in the room, they immediately come up to where she is, scoopdown, and eat the bugs she has worked hard to catch.

It reminds me of lions in the wilderness. how the female, supposedly does the hunting, and the males just lay around and reap the rewards. Then again, it might not be instinctual. It might just be because the other three, are just lazy by nature.

Has anyone else made similar observations in the different energy levels of female, and male cats?

MoonRaven
July 11th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Actually my mom has a male and a female (though I raised both of them from kittens), and it's the female, Holli, that's gotten fat and lazy, not to mention bitchy.

We have two males, and they're both talkative, affectionate, and energetic. Both of them go nuts and race through the house when a fly comes in through the window. I've seen Neo make a 6 foot leap, catch a fly in his mouth, and bring it down alive (he then pulled its wings off and watched it crawl around for a while before eating it). They both chatter as well (I know exactly what you mean - that weird silent ma-a-a, a-a-a-a! sound).

I wonder if it's an age thing. For a long time it was only Neo who would chase flies and chatter, but now Loki is starting to do it (he's a year younger than Neo). My mom's cats used to chase bugs (Holli went nuts over grasshoppers and Jericho loved dragonflies) but now they don't either - they just lie around and watch bugs fly by.

~ Monk ~
July 11th, 2003, 12:49 PM
I've found for the most part that male cats tend to be the friendlier and more active ones. Samela used to be a real beeyatch towards me for awhile, while Bobalou and Jigs have been sweet guys from day one.

Regarding activity - it's hard for me to tell. Samela is much older than the two boys, so it's understandable that she'd be a little more aloof and easygoing. But as I recall, she was never very playful or active. She did like to hide underneath the tables and attack people's feet as they walked by, but that's about it. Bobalou plays with anything he can find, and even though I've gotten him numerous toys he still finds things like pens and crumpled up paper more entertaining. Jigs loves to "hunt." He has a ball outdoors trying to catch bugs.

Thistle
July 11th, 2003, 04:39 PM
I had always had female cats because I was afraid males were going to spray all over the house. Then we got Chester, a sweet, playful, cuddly male who never peed anyplace but the pan, even when he was dying of leukemia 9 years later. My 3 females, (Pearl, Snowflake, and Magpie) will pee in the bathtub to let me know the pan offends them.

The girls like to cuddle a bit, and only when they feel like it. So, in my experience, males are friendlier. We had a set ritual for snuggling Chester on a daily basis.

Chester was very playful, and an enthustiastic bug hunter and bubble chaser for most of his life. Magpie is about a year and a half old, so she's still playful. She likes to drag paintbrushes around, and attacks rolls of tp anytime she gets a chance. Snowflake and Pearl are 11 and 13, so they are little old ladies. Snowflake plays some; she likes to kick herself in the face and bite her own toes, and she can be quite bitchy. Pearl's favorite activity is napping, and always has been. She's loving to us, but won't put up with any guff from the other kitties. So in general, I think my females are less active, but their age and disposition has a lot to do with that.

zakzekezedd
July 14th, 2003, 09:15 PM
I find males easier going as a general rule, and much more accepting of changes than the females. I have noticed that it's always one of the boys that takes a newcomer under his wing and shows it "the ropes"..I've had one or the other of my big boys step up to foster a stray kitten whilst all the females seem inclined to do is hiss and be hateful.
People who have done "scientific" research on cats say that the females are instinctually more intensely territorial than the males because they have to defend a hunting territory to provide enough food for themselves and their kittens, whereas males are only interested in defending as large a territory as possible in order to have the greatest number of breeding opportunities.