PDA

View Full Version : Lxg

Radocs
July 12th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Just saw the League of Extrordinary Gentlemen last night... I really liked it, though it doesn't seem like too many other people did... Anybody else see it?

MammaStar
July 12th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Was it good?? Did it keep to the comic (with the exception of making Mina in a lesser role and Tom Sawyer joining?)

WE WERE going to go last nite, but Eshallet offered an alternative plan, which I didn't mind. NO...not that...geez you people's minds. I am going Monday darn it!

I don't know if you read the comic, Radocs, but if you haven't go pick it up...get the Volume I softcover. It's excellent.

edit to add: Radocs, do you think it'd be all right to bring my 11 year old???

Mithrea
July 12th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Yep. I think it's okay for kids. The only thing that wasn't so pretty was Mina's little habit and you only saw that once.

Personally, I thought it was fantabulous. The theater was packed too! But I had a different experience. Most of the people seemed to really enjoy it.

In fact, I'm planning to see it again next weekend with my sister :)

Xentor
July 12th, 2003, 08:49 PM
It wasn't yet released here in the Netherlands. But I'm looking forward to it. In the mean time, I'll go see the Hulk.

~*Ginger*~
July 12th, 2003, 08:56 PM
no, but...i really want to!!!

Radocs
July 12th, 2003, 09:02 PM
I never read the comic so I'm not sure... a few people that have told me that it doesn't follow it all that well... It's still pretty entertaining though. I had a good time. :)

Oh yeah, and I concur with Mith, it's fine for kids.

Psyche Ague
July 14th, 2003, 02:08 AM
I don't feel they developed the characters very well, but everyone was good-looking and the special effects were great, so I guess my reaction is supposed to be "who cares?". It was entertaining and definitely better than "The Hulk." ;)

Xentor
July 14th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Character development, in a two hour movie that repeats after a comic book? Really?

It took the respective directors of the Batman movies several sequals before they hit the correct mindset of the Dark Knight. The X-Men movies show a lot of potential, but they simply lack the *time* for character dev.

IMHO, Spiderman and the Hulk both have too much drama and too little action. I was hoping for some action in LXG.

It may be just me...

MammaStar
July 15th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Just got back from seeing it. For the record, if you read the comic, it does NOT follow the story lines AT ALL. The same characters (with two exceptions) but NOT the same plots. Which, is understandable, since the comics have some themes that can be too "adult" for some.

I liked it. I liked how they kept the literature references in the movie. I didn't LOVE it though. I liked it better than Hulk. But then again, I liked Spiderman and Daredevil better than the Hulk too.

It's a fun movie to go see. There is a LOT of action and my son had a good time as well. There were things that irked me, but again, that's just me being a "comic snob" I guess. ;)

I definitely recommend anyone to go see it (age 10 and over).

Adam Of Avalon
July 15th, 2003, 09:54 PM
I thought that Mina Harker and Dorian Grey were impressive as far as special effects go. Every one else was pretty boring. I turned to someone during a scene with Hyde and asked "Am I in the right theater?" As for character development? Forget it. They set all this baggage up for each "Gentleman" in the beginning of the film, and then none of it comes into play later. The ending was pretty dumb. You know, the African shaman and Quartermain's grave? One of the things that erked me the most: There are no streets in Venice! Walkways, yes. Bridges, yes. But nothing for that gargantuan white automobile to charge 90 miles an hour through... I shoulda gone to see "Pirates of the Carribean".

Pan
July 16th, 2003, 03:27 AM
Never knew it was a comic... but I was rather disappointed when my brother took me and hubby to see it. :/

I thought that it was going to be better than that. There wasn't much drama, not much of anything, really... I was disappointed. Again.

Though Dorian Grey was a rather surprising thing in that I didn't expect the book I was forced to read in 11th grade to be so well-known. haha.

They should do "A Separate Peace" into a movie. YES!

SylverStar
July 20th, 2003, 10:51 PM
I went and saw it. I had high hopes that weree dissapointed miserablly. It was alright but it needed more of something anything. This summer is so dissapointing for movies. Too many sequels and nothing original.

Fire_Crotch132074
July 22nd, 2003, 02:19 PM
This summer is so dissapointing for movies. Too many sequels and nothing original.

I just saw that movie 28 days later, and it was awesome. One of the best movies this summer. You should really go and check it out.

Psyche Ague
July 23rd, 2003, 03:54 AM
They should do "A Separate Peace" into a movie. YES!
Oh, gods, NOOOOO!

*ahem* I really hated that book...

SylverStar
July 23rd, 2003, 08:29 AM
I just saw that movie 28 days later, and it was awesome. One of the best movies this summer. You should really go and check it out.

I'm not really into Horror/Thiller movies but my roomate liked it and well he's just as picky as me when it comes to movies. I'm not sure if it's still in the Theatres here though.

Fire_Crotch132074
July 23rd, 2003, 03:05 PM
my sister didn't like horror movies either, but she liked 28 days a lot. Heh it was one of the first times I've heard her say something was "awesome" (shes never used that word before that moment). But you should really go and see it if its still playing where you are.