PDA

View Full Version : If you....

Danustouch
July 17th, 2003, 02:04 PM
If you had enough land, all the right environmental climate and conditions, could provide adequately, ethically, and correctly for any type of animal on this planet, which animal would you be most likely to create a refuge for?

Semele
July 17th, 2003, 02:34 PM
None. If I could afford the land etc, I would sale it and donate the money to an outside charity to do the work. I am just not organized enough to do it myself. I don't know if I could choose a particular variety though..maybe an equal donation to several different organizations. I love all animals. Ok, except for snakes and I hate them, but it is a respectful hate as I am sure they don't like me either, so we just avoid each other and it works nicely. I would probably throw them a buck or two just to remind them to stay away!!

CloakofStars9
July 17th, 2003, 02:36 PM
man thats tough.
i have always wanted to have an animal refuge but i dont think i could limit myself to just one type of animal, i love them all

but great question by the way

Danustouch
July 17th, 2003, 02:38 PM
LOL. Actually, I don't think I could shelter snakes either. But..I don't hate them nearly as much as I hate spiders. That's the one creature i cannot stand. Snakes, I can deal with..if I run across them in nature. But I can't imagine owning one as a pet, or having to deal with them on a daily basis. *shivers*

Danustouch
July 17th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Yes Cloak, I'm torn with answering it too. Because I love domestic animals, and recognize a need to have more "No Kill" shelters for them, but on the other hand, there are so many endangered species of wild animals as well, and animals which are just so horribly hunted... wolves, prairiedogs, Kangaroo's, Wild Mustangs, are only some of the examples.

I think I would be partial to Wolves, or Big Cats if I owned all that land. Barring that, for safety reasons, I'd love to own enough land, to have a wild stallion herd protected on it.

LadyOak
July 17th, 2003, 03:00 PM
I honestly can't think of any one animal I would, so I will say what I wouldn't. Monkeys and Apes. No particular reason, I just have never cared for them. Spiders too. :noway:

MoonDust
July 17th, 2003, 03:54 PM
I don't know.... panthers, pandas, manatees, I love all animals.

~ Monk ~
July 17th, 2003, 04:13 PM
I'd have to go with tigers, wolves or pandas...it sure is hard to make a choice. :wah2:

Bainidhe Dub
July 17th, 2003, 04:13 PM
I'll take the very child-like route and say:

ALL OF THEM! lol
That's of course only if I had the money to take care of them and provide food and shelter, etc. lol

Old Witch
July 17th, 2003, 04:16 PM
I can't pick one animal........but it would probably end up being a private zoo, with the animals coming from closing circus', abusive owners, people who really love them but pass away or otherwise can no longer care for them.
But I couldn't limit it to one animal........and I would have to have enough money to hire competant experts to take care of them......I actually have been known to ask to win the lottery so I can do just this thing.......

Ahautenites
July 17th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Wild mustangs rounded up by the BLM.

Ben Trismegistus
July 17th, 2003, 04:40 PM
I don't know.... panthers, pandas, manatees, I love all animals.

Now that's a funny mental picture:

The MoonDust Panther/Panda/Manatee Nature Preserve

Only Panthers, Pandas, and Manatees!

AstraSkye
July 17th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Cats... I'd absolutely LOVE to have a home for abandoned and unwanted cats... :D I'd have a special section for kittens (and their mothers, if they have) where they can feel warm and safe, and I'd have a special section for old and sick cats - like a hospice - where they'd be watched over and taken care of, until their day comes to pass on... And those cats would be buried in a special graveyard for cats, with their very own stone...
The cats wouldn't be treated as "a bunch of cats" - I know their personalities differ A LOT, so each cat would be treated as an individual.

Not cat would be put to sleep because it's "unwanted" or sick... Since it would be living with me, it wouldn't be unwanted, and all sicknesses would be treated... I'm against putting animals to sleep for as long as they have their will to live. As long as I see a will to live in them, they'll live - when the time comes and they want to die, they'll let me know.

Altheia
July 17th, 2003, 05:36 PM
I can't pick one animal........but it would probably end up being a private zoo, with the animals coming from closing circus', abusive owners, people who really love them but pass away or otherwise can no longer care for them.
But I couldn't limit it to one animal........and I would have to have enough money to hire competant experts to take care of them......I actually have been known to ask to win the lottery so I can do just this thing.......

Not only am I with OW on this...I am also going to agree with Semele too...I would love to do something for the animals,:loveydove but I lack organization skills on large projects...I'm good on a team, but doing it all by myself is a no go:geez:...I would love to see the unwanted/abused/abandoned animals of the world taken care of just as much as the next advid animal lover. It's a toss up!!:farmerjoe

teyl
July 17th, 2003, 05:53 PM
If I could do it, I could cope with any animal including snakes of which I am petrified. (Mind you I figure if the circumstances were right for me to have an animal refuge I could also speak Parcel Tongue) I would be happy with only one Ocelot, tiger or Meerkat, but because I have already adopted my dog, they'd have to all play nicely together with her!

Mistiblue
July 17th, 2003, 06:08 PM
I couldn't possibly pick. Like the rest of us I love All Animals. But if I have to make a choice,.. http://www.mysticwicks.com/images/smilies2/scratchchin.gifHumm,... Oh heck, let the animals run the world and put PEOPLE in the refuges. :lol:

fairyofthefountain
July 18th, 2003, 12:05 AM
I love all animals so I can't chose either :lol:
I even like snakes and I take care of stray cats now :)so I would have a mixture of wild and domestic animals :) and my mother lives in the woods in the city which I think is so neat now all I need in funds :lol:

amathera
July 18th, 2003, 01:21 AM
Meerkats. Jewish ones like Timon.

Armitage
July 18th, 2003, 01:39 AM
Endangered raptors. Eagles and falcons and the like. Or just birds in general.

Fairywolf
July 18th, 2003, 02:43 AM
To be honest I am trying to do something like that. It is to be for all animals, but mainly exotic animals people bring in to there homes while they are little and when they get bigger don't know how to care for them. I started looking into this when I saw something about bagged hunts and decided that this would be my way of helping stop them.

indigo rain
July 18th, 2003, 11:38 AM
tigers, but ummm... you can't pick just one animal... they have to have prey too, so those animals would have to be included, and their prey included, etc...

you'd have to set up a mini-ecosystem with many animals.

Karma Chameleon
May 29th, 2005, 04:31 PM
If you had enough land, all the right environmental climate and conditions, could provide adequately, ethically, and correctly for any type of animal on this planet, which animal would you be most likely to create a refuge for?

That's easy, birds. Parrots in particlar since I am most familar with them and know how to care for them.

However as much as I like parrots, I'd be more likely to create a santuary for Native Florida wildlife as opposed to exotic wildlife. I hate seeing the trees being butchered and the native critters killed off to make way for more ugly subdivisions.