PDA

View Full Version : Forest Problems

Myrddyn Emrys
July 18th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Just so all are aware, I haven't disappeared, nor forgotten the lessons, nor am I avoiding anyone here...

I manage the Circle K in Pinetop AZ, and the threat of the Kinishba Fire over the past four days has taken up my time. If the fire shifts to the north, I've got to be ready to evacuate the store( removing all the money and important paperwork) on a moments notice, and keeping the store open as long as I can to aide the evacuees. Tonight, (thursday) is the first night I've been home for more than two to three hours.

At least this fire was naturally caused and not human caused, but it's still a threat to a lot of people. The threat would be a lot less if the environMENTALists would see the benifit of thinning and CONTROLLED logging. I apologise if I offend anyone with that statement, but you have to live through something like I did a year ago with the Rodeo-Chedeski fire to really see whre the problem lies. Don't get me wrong, I don't approve of drastic, damaging action by the logging industry, nor the supposed-to-be-helpful actions of "controlled" burns by the forestry department. But, most of the Native American Tribes up here are very active in forest management and it has severly aided with the control of this fire which started on a reservation. But, we must take an active role in managing our forests. I see this need BECAUSE I'm Druid, and realise that we (humans) are the active factor here, and doing nothing is the wrong thing. Activist groups, by their good intentions, have allowed the forests to become severly overgrown. Some areas you can't even walk between the trees they are so dense, and in the drought we are in, the younger trees and the older trees die off, adding more potential fuel.

Well, I'll step off the soapbox now:rant: I really just wanted everyone to know I was still around and will respond to all the new posts in the lessons as soon as I can manage time. I've read them and thought they were marvelous additions to the current ones.

your friend in the tinder-box
Myrddyn Emrys

P.S. grey??? reminds me of ash from a forest fire...well, EVERYTHING reminds me of that right now...

Twig
July 18th, 2003, 03:40 AM
:foh: AGAIN!?? Gods and Trees Emrys! Thats what I was afraid of though. As for the first sentance, :wtf: I'll chalk that up to you being tired. :geez:

Your looking at the man who goes weeks at a time without a peep and they take it from ME so don't fret my Brother. :bastard: Now get some rest before I REALLY take the bus there and run a few shifts so Nyn will know what you look like again!!! Hehehe, Luv ya my Friend. Prayers of rain and morning dew is on the way.

Peace,
Twig
:elf:

Myrddyn Emrys
July 19th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Keep those prayers going! They're Working!!!!!

Myrddyn Emrys