PDA

View Full Version : Dogs eating plants

Semele
June 8th, 2001, 07:16 PM
I think I have my mom talked into signing up...YaY!!!! Be nice to her...she's not a pagan...but still cool!!

She is wanting to know if anyone has any ideas about how to keep a dog from eating your plants. Give her some help please!!!

Greenthumb
June 8th, 2001, 11:41 PM
gosh, that's terrible. I hope none of the plants are toxic! I know there are some commercial things available for that. Hmmmm. I guess I would probably try a soap spray for that too.(I normally use it for bugs)But the whole idea is to give the plants a disagreeable taste. 2 drops of dishsoap in a windex type bottle filled with water. You might want to try just one of the plants to start with to see how it works. If they eat it anyway, possibly add some cayenne pepper to the spray. If that doesn't work check with the vet. Perhaps they are having some digestion problems and looking for something to soothe their tummies.
peace
greenthumb

skysteed
June 14th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Try sprinkling powdered cayenne pepper on the plants.
The little doggies will get a quick sniff or taste and decide it's not for them. Harmless and it works on squirrels and other little critters who like to eat your plants.
I use it on my potted herbs, the squirrels like to bury their nuts in the pots and in the process dig up the roots.
At least they used to, now they stay clear of my potted stuff.
The garden I let them have, they need somewhere to bury their winter stores.
BB

Fawn
June 15th, 2001, 10:54 PM
She can also drop mothbgalls by the plants all animals hate the scent of them.