PDA

View Full Version : my moon flowers

Hestia
June 8th, 2001, 11:04 PM
The moon flowers I planted last month are almost a foot tall now and ready to be repotted. But there are tiny little white bugs that keep eating the leaves :( They're the same ones that ruined my pennyroyal and I don't know what natural substance I can use to get rid of them. Has anyone had these little critters on their plants and any ideas how to get rid of them?:confused:

Greenthumb
June 8th, 2001, 11:21 PM
I have not a clue as to what bug you have, there are so many. This year I too have been waging war on some very hungry little bugs. I reccomend starting with the least toxic things first-you don't want to kill beneficials. For me, I'm a fan of simple soap spray & so far have not had to move to anything else.
Take an old windex-type bottle, 2 drops of dish soap, and 1 drop of cooking oil. You're now armed & dagerous! Spray liberally & repeat if necessary every couple of days.
luck & peace
greenthumb

Greenthumb
June 8th, 2001, 11:24 PM
I know I probably don't have to say this, but fill the bottle with wateer too!
heh heh heh
greenthumb

Yvonne Belisle
June 9th, 2001, 12:23 AM
Do the bugs have wings? Are they cottony? A good discription of the bug may let us figure out what it is.

Greenthumb
June 9th, 2001, 12:30 AM
I have no clue to what's eating her moonflowers, my problem has been mostly aphids and whiteflys. I do agree that identification would be helpful though.

Lavender
June 9th, 2001, 03:25 AM
If you have rhubarb leaves, try that too with your soap mixture. The leaves are toxic to bugs.

Methanespirit
June 9th, 2001, 08:05 AM
If they fly it sounds like you may have a white fly infestation. Most water/detergent solutions will eliminate many types of little bugs, including fleas . Another solution is simply spraying hot water on them (appx 180*F). Most insects will die instantly when hit with hot water. Sometimes we leave our garden hose in the sun without the water running trough it. Turn it on after a half-hour or so, and the water will burn your hand if you are not careful! Black plastic hoses work best for this.

Hestia
June 9th, 2001, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. The bugs are about the size of sesame seeds, white and fuzzy, and they line up in little rows along the stems. When I pick them off, they almost have a powdery feel. They don't seem to fly, but definitely crawl.
:confused:

Yvonne Belisle
June 10th, 2001, 12:50 AM
They sound like meally bugs. Do they look like miniature pill bugs dressed in cotton powder? If so rubbing alcohol on a q tip works really well.

EasternPriest
June 10th, 2001, 01:25 AM
a soap spray works well, I would recommend using "castile" soap as it is plant based and non-toxic is general. If you want to try a commercial spray, look for one that uses "pyrethrins", which are chrysanthemum extracts. Planting marigolds in your garden can also help.

Blessings.....

moonflower
August 16th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Plant marigolds in your garden *look out for slugs if you do though they love them, sometimes putting a couple rings of old pennies around plants will get slugs away they hate copper* Try a mild soap wash like mentoned above. Ive heard a tiny tiny bit of vinegar in the mix may help. May be worth a try but im not sure if vinegar would hurt the plant.
:confused:
Best of luck with the moonflowers. As you may be able to tell they are one of my favorites. ;)