PDA

View Full Version : Some quotes (my signature file)

Arienadean
July 23rd, 2003, 05:18 PM
I just thought some people might like thease. I also have some poetry/romance quotes if anyone wants them. Anyways thease are the quotes I use with randomsig/sylpheed for email.

--------------------------------------------

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words." - Unknown
"A part of us remains where ever we have been." - Anonymous
"Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
"I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each others dreams, we can be together all the time." - Hobbes
"The heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz
"The human heart feels things the eyes cannot see, and know what the mind cannot understand." - Robert Valett
"We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly embracing each other." - Liciano De Crescenzo
"Science is everything we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else." - David Knuth
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience." - Unknown
"People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public." -Bryan White
"Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can. All of them make me laugh." - W.H. Auden
"Nothing that results from human progress is achieved with unanimous consent. And those who are enlightened before the others are condemned to pursue that light in spite of others." - Christopher Columbus
"Failure is not falling down, it is not gettnig up again." - Mary Pickford
"Great spirits often meet violent opposition with mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Gandhi
"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to unchartered land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit." - Helen Keller
"Laughter is the shortest distance between two people." - Uknown
"A good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help another up." - Unknown
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware.
As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.
PCMCIA - People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms
Life's unfair - but root password helps!
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)
The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.
'The Geek shall inherit the earth.' - Linus 5:5
Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.
The e-mail of the species is deadlier than the mail.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." - Jules de Gaultier
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." - Dolly Parton
"Let deeds match words." - Platus
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." - Helen Keller
"If we do not find anything very pleasant, at least we shall find something new." - Voltaire
"The most effective way to cope with change is to help create it." - L. W. Lynett
"You see things and you say Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not?" - George Bernard Shaw
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." - Oscar Wilde
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt
"There is only one sound method of moral education. It is teaching people to think." - Everett Dean Martin
"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught." - Oscar Wilde
"The essence of our effort to see that every child has a chance must be to assure each an equal opportunity, not to become equal, but to become different - to realize whatever unique potential of mind, body, and spirit he or she possesses." - John Fischer
"Experience is never limited, and it is never complete; it is an immense sensibility, a kind of huge spider-web of the finest silken threads suspended in the chamber of consciousness, and catching every air-borne particle in its tissue." - Henry James
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority of government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer." - Ronald Reagan
"There are in the end three things that last: Faith, Hope, and Love, and the greatest of these is love." - St. Paul
"The monument of a great man is not of granite or marble or bronze. It consists of his goodness, his deeds, his love and his compassion." - Alfred A. Montapert
"Peace is to be found only within, and unless one finds it there he will never find it at all. Peace lies not in the external world. It lies within one's own soul." - Ralph W. Trine
"Accept no one's definition of your life, but define yourself." - Harvey Fierstein
"No one gets out of this world alive, so the time to live, learn, care, share, celebrate, and love is now." - Dr. Leo Buscaglia
"Life is eternal and love is immortal,and death is only a horizon... And a horizon is nothing, save the limit of our sight." - Carly Simon
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these." - George Washington Carver
"There is something very wonderful in music. Words are wonderful enough; but music is even more wonderful. It speaks not to our thoughts as words do; it speaks straight to our hearts and spirits, to the very core and root of our souls. Music soothes us, stirs us up; it puts noble feelings in us; it melts us to tears; we know not how; - it is a language by itself, just as perfect, in its way, as speech, as words; just as divine, just as blessed." - Charles Kingsley
"I'm a pessimist because of intelligence, but an optimist because of will." - Antonio Gramsci
"Sanity - that which is within the frame of reference of conventional thought." - Erich Fromm
"I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed." - Booker T. Washington
"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." - John Cotton Dana
"But words are things, and a small drop of ink, Falling like dew, upon a thought, produces That which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think." - Lord Byron
"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa
"The safest course is to do nothing against one's conscience. With this secret, we can enjoy life and have no fear from death." - Voltaire
"Anything too stupid to be said is sung." - Voltaire
"Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire
"Love truth, and pardon error." - Voltaire
"Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy." - Voltaire
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire
"A fashion is nothing but an induced epidemic." - George Bernard Shaw
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
"England and America are two countries separated by a common language." - George Bernard Shaw
"If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance." - George Bernard Shaw
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will." - George Bernard Shaw
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact than a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
"There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it." - George Bernard Shaw
"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw
"The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essense of inhumanity." - George Bernard Shaw
"All great truths begin as blasphemies." - George Bernard Shaw
"He who has never hoped can never despair." - George Bernard Shaw
"My way of joking is to tell the truth. It is the funniest joke in the world." - George Bernard Shaw
"Youth, which is forgiven everything, forgives itself nothing: age, which forgives itself everything, is forgiven nothing." - George Bernad Shaw
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses." - Confucius
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." - Confucius
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star." - Confucius
"Respect yourself and others will respect you." - Confucius
"Study the past if you would define the future." - Confucius
"To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle." - Confucius
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." - Confucius
"Hold faithfulness and sincerity as first principles." - Confucius
"Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous." - Confucius
"Recompense injury with justice, and recompense kindness with kindness." - Confucius
"The firm, the enduring, the simple, and the modest are near to virtue." - Confucius
"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...[They are] gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness." - Confucius
"Virtue is not left to stand alone. He who practices it will have neighbors." - Confucius
"What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others." - Confucius
"When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." - Confucius
"Charity begins at home." - Terence
"Moderation in all things." - Terence
"I have everything, yet have nothing; and although I possess nothing, still of nothing am I in want." - Terence
"Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body." - Seneca
"He who spares the wicked injures the good." - Seneca
"I do not distinguish by the eye, but by the mind, which is the proper judge." - Seneca
"I shall never be ashamed of citing a bad author if the line is good." - Seneca
"It is a denial of justice not to stretch out a helping hand to the fallen; that is the common right of humanity." - Seneca
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult." - Seneca
"The arts are the servant; wisdom its master." - Seneca
"The greatest remedy for anger is delay." - Seneca
"The spirit in which a thing is given determines that in which the debt is acknowledged; it's the intention, not the face-value of the gift, that's weighed." - Seneca
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." - Douglas Adams
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams
"Persuasion is often more effectual than force." - Aesop
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." - Aesop
"A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety." - Aesop
"It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones slept better... while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking hours much more." - Woody Allen
"All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire." - Aristotle
"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them." - Aristotle
"We must as second best...take the least of the evils." - Aristotle
"A likely impossibility is always preferable to an unconvincing possibility." - Aristotle
"By far the best proof is experience." - Sir Francis Bacon
"If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties." - Sir Francis Bacon
"In taking revenge, a man is but even with his enemy; but in passing it over, he is superior." - Sir Francis Bacon
"Read not to contradict and confute, not to believe and take for granted, not to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider." - Sir Francis Bacon
"Silence is the virtue of fools." - Sir Francis Bacon
"The worst solitude is to be destitute of sincere friendship." - Sir Francis Bacon
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Sir Winston Churchill
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on." - Sir Winston Churchill
"Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb." - Sir Winston Churchill
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Sir Winston Churchill
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time." - Sir Winston Churchill
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." - Sir Winston Churchill
"Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Sir Winston Churchill
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Sir Winston Churchill
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." - Sir Winston Churchill
"The empires of the future are the empires of the mind." - Sir Winston Churchill
"A happy life consists in tranquillity of mind." - Cicero
"A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation." - Cicero
"Art is born of the observation and investigation of nature." - Cicero
"He only employs his passion who can make no use of his reason." - Cicero
"Appetitus Rationi Pareat" - Cicero
"Natural ability without education has more often attained to glory and virtue than education without natural ability." - Cicero
"Not to know what has been transacted in former times is to be always a child. If no use is made of the labors of past ages, the world must remain always in the infancy of knowledge." - Cicero
"Our span of life is brief, but is long enough for us to live well and honestly." - Cicero
"Our thoughts are free." - Cicero
"The absolute good is not a matter of opinion but of nature." - Cicero
"Salus Populi Suprema Est Lex" - Cicero
"The wise are instructed by reason; ordinary minds by experience; the stupid, by necessity; and brutes by instinct." - Cicero
"There is no duty more obligatory than the repayment of kindness." - Cicero
"To be content with what one has is the greatest and truest of riches." - Cicero
"Suum Cuique" - Cicero
"We are obliged to respect, defend and maintain the common bonds of union and fellowship that exist among all members of the human race." - Cicero
"When you wish to instruct, be brief; that men's minds take in quickly what you say, learn its lesson, and retain it faithfully. Every word that is unnecessary only pours over the side of a brimming mind." - Cicero
"Where is there dignity unless there is honesty?" - Cicero
"While there's life, there's hope." - Cicero
"History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illumines reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life and brings us tidings of antiquity." - Cicero
"Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience." - Albert Einstein
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert Einstein
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
"Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population." - Albert Einstein
"Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking." - Albert Einstein
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
"The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth. The trite subjects of human efforts, possessions, outward success, luxury have always seemed to me contemptible." - Albert Einstein
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity." - Albert Einstein
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - Albert Einstein
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein
"Character is higher than intellect... A great soul will be strong to live, as well as to think." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Give all to love; obey thy heart." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"The only way to have a friend is to be one." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to be ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly, and they will show themselves great." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Wit makes its own welcome, and levels all distinctions. No dignity, no learning, no force of character, can make any stand against good wit." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sun-dial in the shade?" - Benjamin Franklin
"If you would persuade, you must appeal to interest rather than intellect." - Benjamin Franklin
"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed. Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will be well." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress." - Mahatma Gandhi
"In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in an clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth." - Mahatma Gandhi
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." - Mahatma Gandhi
"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty." - Mahatma Gandhi
"As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Do thou restrain the haughty spirit in thy breast, for better far is gentle courtesy." - Homer
"I detest that man who hides one thing in the depths of his heart, and speaks for another." - Homer
"The fates have given mankind a patient soul." - Homer
"A small rock holds back a great wave." - Homer
"There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep." - Homer
"Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even." - Horace
"Once a word has been allowed to escape, it cannot be recalled." - Horace
"Life grants nothing to us mortals without hard work." - Horace
"Do not accustom yourself to use big words for little matters." - amuel Johnson
"Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it." - Helen Keller
"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved." - Helen Keller
"People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant." - Helen Keller
"We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world." - Helen Keller
"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." - Helen Keller
"The highest result of education is tolerance." - Helen Keller
"Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all - the apathy of human beings." - Helen Keller
"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." - John F. Kennedy
"There are risks and costs to a program of action. But they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction." - John F. Kennedy
"If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich." - John F. Kennedy
"We must never forget that art is not a form of propaganda; it is a form of truth." - John F. Kennedy
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. And man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F. Kennedy
"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King Jr.
"I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. That is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant." - Martin Luther King Jr.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." - Martin Luther King Jr.
"Great people talk about ideas, average people talk about things, and small people talk about wine." - Fran Lebowitz
"Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep." - Fran Lebowitz
"Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough." - Abraham Lincoln
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln
"Truth is generally the best vindication against slander." - Abraham Lincoln
"I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice." - Abraham Lincoln
"Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." - Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." - Plato
"Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another." - Plato
"The soul of man is immortal and imperishable." - Plato
"Any plan is bad which is incapable of modification." - Publilius Syrus
"In a heated argument we are apt to lose sight of the truth." - Publilius Syrus
"Tis foolish to fear what you cannot avoid." - Publilius Syrus
"You should not live one way in private, another in public." - Publilius Syrus
"A good reputation is more valuable than money." - Publilius Syrus
"It is a very hard undertaking to seek to please everybody." - Publilius Syrus
"It is better to learn late than never." - Publilius Syrus
"It is not every question that deserves an answer." - Publilius Syrus
"Never find your delight in another's misfortune." - Publilius Syrus
"No one knows what he can do till he tries." - Publilius Syrus
"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
"One thing life has taught me: if you are interested, you never have to look for new interests. They come to you. When you are genuinely interested in one thing, it will always lead to something else." - Eleanor Roosevelt
"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built." - Eleanor Roosevelt
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
"First of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
"A short saying oft contains much wisdom." - Sophocles
"One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love." - Sophocles
"Time eases all things." - Sophocles
"All human beings should try to learn before they die what they are running from, and to, and why." - James Thurber
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers." - James Thurber
"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
"Morality, like art, means a drawing a line someplace." - Oscar Wilde
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde
"I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex." - Oscar Wilde
"The advantage of the emotions is that they lead us astray, and the advantage of science is that it is not emotional." - Oscar Wilde
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief." - Gerry Spence
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." - Isaac Asimov
"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." - Jeff Raskin
"The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little." - Joe Martin
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." - Rich Cook
"To err is human--and to blame it on a computer is even more so." - Robert Orben
"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." - Robert X. Cringely
"Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vacuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, March 1949
"The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next." - Matthew Arnold
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity." - Francis Maitland Balfour
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." - Andy Warhol
"If you can give your son or daughter only one gift, let it be enthusiasm." - Bruce Barton
"You know that children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers." - John J. Plomp
"Level with your child by being honest. Nobody spots a phony quicker than a child." - Mary MacCracken
"Always be nice to your children because they are the ones who will choose your rest home." - Phyllis Diller
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace." - Amelia Earhart
"The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next." - Mignon McLaughlin
"The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves." - Carl Jung
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." - Ellen Parr
"To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act." - Anatole France
"Dreams that do come true can be as unsettling as those that don't." - Brett Butler
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe
"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city." - George Burns
"You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try." - Beverly Sills
"Don't be discouraged by a failure. It can be a positive experience. Failure is, in a sense, the highway to success, inasmuch as every discovery of what is false leads us to seek earnestly after what is true, and every fresh experience points out some form of error which we shall afterwards carefully avoid." - John Keats
"Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were." - Cherie Carter-Scott
"If you haven't forgiven yourself something, how can you forgive others?" - Dolores Huerta
"There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness." - Josh Billings
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget." - Thomas Szasz
"Total absence of humor renders life impossible." - Colette
"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place." - Mark Twain
"Humor is a rubber sword - it allows you to make a point without drawing blood." - Mary Hirsch
"Humor is also a way of saying something serious." - T. S. Eliot
"There is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen." - Sean O'Faolain
"I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." - Ettiene De Grellet
"Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness." - George Sand
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." - Bertrand Russell
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
"We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh." - Agnes Repplier
"Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on." - Bob Newhart
"Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." - Elsa Maxwell
"You can't stay mad at somebody who makes you laugh." - Jay Leno
"Man is distinguished from all other creatures by the faculty of laughter." - Joseph Addison
"Patience is the greatest of all virtues." - Cato the Elder
"It is very strange that the years teach us patience - that the shorter our time, the greater our capacity for waiting." - Elizabeth Taylor
"If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent." - Isaac Newton
"Passion makes the world go round. Love just makes it a safer place." - Ice T
"Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit." - Peter Ustinov
"Love is not blind - it sees more, not less. But because it sees more, it is willing to see less." - Rabbi Julius Gordon
"Love is an irresistable desire to be irresistably desired." - Robert Frost
"That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way." - Doris Lessing
"Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient." - Eugene S. Wilson
"The wisest mind has something yet to learn." - George Santayana
"Much learning does not teach understanding." - Heraclitus
"What is important is to keep learning, to enjoy challenge, and to tolerate ambiguity. In the end there are no certain answers." - Martina Horner
"The greatest friend of Truth is time, her greatest enemy is Prejudice, and her constant companion Humility." - Charles Caleb Colton
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
"Look well into thyself; there is a source of strength which will always spring up if thou wilt always look there." - Marcus Aurelius Antoninus
"Never esteem anything as of advantage to you that will make you break your word or lose your self-respect." - Marcus Aurelius Antoninus
"A man may learn wisdom even from a foe." - Aristophanes
"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome." - Isaac Asimov
"Recommend to your children virtue; that alone can make them happy, not gold." - Ludwig van Beethoven
"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte
"Victory belongs to the most persevering." - Napoleon Bonaparte
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar
"Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without asking a clear question." - Albert Camus
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." - Albert Camus
"What is a rebel? A man who says no." - Albert Camus
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." - Cato the Elder
"Tis sometimes the height of wisdom to feign stupidity." - Cato the Elder