PDA

View Full Version : Sore muscles on a dog?

Faery-Wings
July 24th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Does anyone know the safe dosage for aspirin for a dog- 45 pounds? Poor Harley walked at the campground/amusement park for three straight days. Yesterday she was limping a bit. She can put weight on her legs fine, but you can see she is hurting when she is walking. I know that Tylenol and Advil aren't safe but if I remember correctly, baby aspirin is ok. I'll have to run out and get some tonight if she isn't any better. So far today she hasn't moved off my bed except to go pee once. Poor baby girl! (Ok, she is 8 1/2...not quite a baby... ;) )

Thanks!

Gareth
July 24th, 2003, 12:00 PM
I would say go by the childs wieght on the bottle and cut the dosage in half.
Then let the dog rest.
Keep in mind I am not a vet! I'm not sure if that will help or hurt.

Toad
July 24th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Sorry I dont know the answer to your asprin question...but I can suggest massage. My dog loves a nice massage after a long romp...just like a human...if your muscles are tight it helps to rub them out. My dog is a massage junkie...and frankly it kind of sucks cause she won't return the favor. :D

Rain Gnosis
July 24th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Call your vet and ask.

I'm sure they'll let you know what's safe and they should have her weight on hand to gauge how much she should have.

Wind_Rider
July 24th, 2003, 01:13 PM
its got to be kids asprin and I want to say 10 mg per body weight but ask your vet and they will be happy to answer your question free of charge.

Also a very warm bath with epsom salt and like toad said massage is the best way to loosen those tight muscles.
What you are really doing is moving the lactic acid build up ( the result of energy exchanges in the muscle ) into the system to be eliminated. Latic acid and stress on this muscle is usually the cause of soreness. That is why they tell you to excersise a day after a big work out.

Massage also affords the pets body replenished oxygen to those muscles that circulation may be hampered, it keeps it health.
So give your dog a massage
and you never know toad you dog may just turn around and give you one one day.
I massage my dogs and cats have been for yrs and I get little paw massages every now and then. :lol:

Old Witch
July 24th, 2003, 08:38 PM
I go by the directions by weight.........but I've found my dogs do fine with 5 baby aspirins, but remember, mine are really Large dogs........Dax is 125 lbs and gets 7 baby aspirins....and boy is he going to need them tomorrow......came running in the back door and did a split on the hardwood floors......told everyone in the house to remind me when he walks funny tomorrow.........Poor baby!.............Oh, and one very important thing.........well two actually.........Give the aspirins with food and I only give my dogs aspirin once a day............

WynnJera
July 25th, 2003, 01:57 AM
I have not clue hun but I just wanted to say rest up Harley and you will be be up and at 'em in no time ...

Faery-Wings
July 25th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I really didn't want to call the vet in case they said bring her in. I'd feel like a bad mommy if I told them that I couldn't, since I don't have the money for it right now. And I knew it was just strained muscles.

I watched her pretty closely as the day went on, and she moved around a lot better. I also tried the massage! She loved it. She rolled on her back with that glazed happy puppy look in her eyes. :)

Thanks again!

edited to add:
How is Dax today? Hope he feels better too, poor boy!

LadyOak
July 25th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Glad to hear she is doing better!

IvyCeltress
July 25th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Glad your baby is doing better, and yes, my cat loves massages.

Wind_Rider
July 26th, 2003, 09:15 PM
I also tried the massage! She loved it. She rolled on her back with that glazed happy puppy look in her eyes.
I cannot tell you the smile you brought to my face :woot:

jcldragon
July 27th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Not being a vet, I'm not sure about asprin doses for animals, although I would guess that you could go by equivalent weight in humans. What I do know about is massage. Acupuncturists have charts for dogs & cats. These charts are exactly the same as those for people, except that the point positions are "morphed" from the human body to the animal body. If you know how to find points & meridians on a human, you can do the same on animals by making some obvious adjustments.

I began studying & practicing massage in 1970, when I met Karmu, the Holy One, in Cambridge Ma. Now while I really don't like dogs very much, when I meet a dog with a good attitude, I will give him a massage. They love this, although they are often surprized, when I get to a spot that seriously needs treatment. hehehe

Here is a page I wrote about the techniques of massage that I have developed.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jclairlewis/pages/dragon/dragon2.html