PDA

View Full Version : Ceremonial Magic - Month Two

Toad
July 24th, 2003, 02:25 PM
This post reflects the authors suggestions. I have tried not to color it in any way with my views.

Ceremonial Magic Class - Month Two

Items to Make or Buy

Black and Silver Pillar
The main project outlines for month two are the construction of the 2 pillars that are to reside in the temple. These two pillars are to represent the pillar of severity and mercy as depicted on the Tree of Life. These two pillars will be used heavily in ritual operations in the upcoming months and are a vital part of the temple. These two pillars should stand around 6’ in height…one being black and the other white or silver. A basic picture is attached below.

Altar Construction
The author recommends a double cube altar be constructed for inclusion in the temple. This design is also referred to as the ‘Altar of Sacrifice’. Basically it’s shaped of two cubes stacked on top of each other (height varies – it should come to the navel of the magician). The altar is specified as black on the outside, white within. The interior portion is used to store temple supplies, incense, candles, etc. A picture of this altar is attached below.

Altar Cloth
According to our author we are to make altar cloths, black silk that hang over the edge of the altar by 12”. On each of the four corners we are to attach a large black tassle. On top of the black altar cloth we are to use a white linen cloth and we are to have a couple of these so we always have a clean one ready to go.

Quarter Banners
Our author is fairly adamant that wall decorations in the temple should be kept to
a minimum. She suggests a banner for each of the four walls with basic elemental correspondence on each. A basic picture is attached below.

Incense
The author suggests that we begin to use incense in our temple regularly. The scent will help to build atmosphere in out temple and that the scent is further clue that it is time to work when we are in our sacred space. She lists a simple correspondence of incense and lunar/planetary references. There doesn’t appear to be any hard and fast rules from her perspective…other than the suggestion that incense is required.

Temple Music
The author goes into fairly great detail in her suggestion that we begin to collect music suitable for use in our temples. She states that music, much like incense, but much more powerfully helps to establish atmosphere in the temple. She goes on at length to point out how we should have a sizable library of music as time goes on. Different types of music for different types of rituals or operations. She also points to several ‘started’ pieces and suggests that even a few pieces are sufficient initially.

Temple Ring
The author is adamant that we must obtain a ring that we will wear while in temple. She claims that the metal is unimportant but that it MUST contain a stone. She suggest a ritual cleaning of the ring once it is obtained…one suggestion in particular was to anchor the ring to a rock or tree and submerge it in flowing water and to camp on the waters edge. Imagining the whole time that the water were sweeping away the negative energy.

Meditations and other Exercises

Tree of Life Exercise
First we are to draw the tree using basic circles for the individual sephiroth. Starting at Kether use it to mean the best of ourselves…think and meditate and write down what you think your best trait is. Then move to Chockmah which as we know means wisdom…think back and use an example of a time when you said or did something wise. Then move to Binah which stands for understanding…we then ferret out an instance where we were truly understanding. Just work your way through the tree in this fashion. Once complete we are to repeat the exercise but to use the negative. For example in Kether we would think and decide what our most negative trait is and write it down…working through the tree in this fashion.

Once complete we are to use each example as a meditation subject for the day…alternating between the positive and negative sephiroth. This should take 20 days.

Creative Visualization
Imagine a spiral stair case in the temple that goes up into another temple just like the one below. Go to the chair in this upper level and sit down. Allow yourself to sink into a deeper level of meditation. If you pop down…repeat the climbing process.

Kim’s Game
Using a covered tray with 12 objects… Take two minutes observing the tray and objects then cover the tray and recite objects, color, shape, how many were alike etc. Then use a group pictures…remember who was standing where…who was wearing hats….what color the clothing was etc. The general idea is to build up the magician’s memory capability.

This is also a game that the entire family can play…its actually a lot of fun the more people you have playing.

Meditation Subjects
• All magical work begins within and is projected outwards.
• The Tree is a diagram of forces not things.
• The subconscious mind is the Magical Agent…the conscious mind controls and directs.
• To the magician, mind and matter are a continuity.
• Magic has not died, merely increased in complexity.

Toad
July 25th, 2003, 11:26 AM
OK…now this is me talking =)

Pillars

I have been drawn to these pillars at the very early stages of my study of Qabalah. I have been doing a lot of thinking about them. Like a lot of folks that are following this…I am using a temple cloth. So storage of these pillars is a concern. I mean if I had a temple room the storage would not be a concern…they stay in the temple. When using a cloth though…I have to find a place to put these things when not in use. A pair of 6 foot pillars would be a PITA to store especially in my particular situation.

Honestly, at this point I am considering NOT building them. Or if I do build them…I may build them in miniature…say 3’ tall…that would be a lot easier to deal with storage wise.

Altar

Somewhat akin to the pillars an altar like this is going to be a task to store when not in use. To my mind I can’t see the importance of this particular design. It just seems to me that as long as a sacred space is established I cant see what its particular shape has to do with anything? Perhaps I am just missing something.

I have recently built a permanent altar in my bedroom. After doing some house reorganization I have managed to make space in my bedroom for this altar and my cloth when I am working. My plan now is to use this altar in my cloth as needed.

Altar Cloth

These are pretty easy…silk isn’t free but thankfully you don’t need tons and tons of it. I did use one of the authors suggestions on these though…I couldn’t find tassels I liked in black…so I bought them in white and dyed them with rit dye.

Quarter Banners

Using a temple cloth these don’t make much sense. However, giving a little bit away from next month…we will be making quarter candlesticks…tall suckers to hold the quarter candles. I am tossing the idea of incorporating the quarter banners into the quarter candle sticks.

Incense

This was a no brainer as I imagine it will be for most anyone who has been involved in any sort of meditation, etc. I already had an incense habit…if anything this just reinforced my views on incense usage.

Temple Music

I will admit it…this is the passage I have had the most trouble with. I have never used music during meditations or ritual work and frankly the idea seems foreign to me. However after thinking on it for a while I guess I need to try it before I write it off completely. This is a tuff area for me though…I don’t have a lot of enthusiasm about investigating this.

Temple Ring

Looking into this I started thinking…damn! The setup of this temple and gathering all the tools is a real task and it sure as hell isnt free! I was a little torn about the ring…I mean I just didn’t grasp its purpose. Then I read Liber Aba and it drove it home. More on this later…

I ended up finding a very inexpensive sterling silver ring with a large onyx (always have been drawn to onyx) stone in it for $30 on sale because they only had a couple size 13 left – as I was looking for a silver onyx ring…size 13 and just happened to stumble into this shop…I knew that it was just too much of a coincidence to ignore.

I did take the authors suggestion of a cleansing ritual for the ring and added to it a bit. Luckily right now my family is away so if I want to go sleep by a river on a Thursday night I can. =)

At some point I will post this ritual…it was moving. I slept on the bank of a river, a beautiful, small, clean river not too far from home. The ring was anchored to a tree branch over hanging the water and suspended in the water and allowed to float around in the river current attached to the tree via string. I literally did hours of meditation on cleansing the ring and slept on the bank of the river…followed by more meditation in the morning and a small closing. It was a very powerful ritual and this ring now has a very positive and very unique vibe to it.

I will post more about the meditations and exercises later.

Semele
July 25th, 2003, 12:03 PM
On the music issue..what about a CD with more nature sounds and maybe a few little wood wind sounds thrown in? I also have a hard time doing other things with music playing. I can never sleep with music on and even visiting with people with it on in the background annoys me.

Incense is a staple in our daily life. In fact once my sister left her jacket at our house and when she picked it up she said, "it smells like your house." I was a little concerned until she clarified that she meant the incense. Since it is such a part of our daily, mundane life, I prefer to use essential oils during ritualistic mediatations etc.

One of the things I love best about this house is the sauna. You can take a few drops of a particular essential oil and mix it with the water your poor over the coals and man..what an intense session. Very relaxing and empowering at the same time. It is the ultimate cleansing place. Of course I can't spend any quality time in there while pregnant, which seems to be all the time lately. Also a good thing is to have someone nearby in case you get too into the ritual that you lose track of time..could be dangerous. I wish there was a timer on the heater. You really should come over some time and give it a try. It is a nice private area with plenty of room and Mol could just sneak in and turn off the heater at a designated time if you don't come out!

Toad
July 25th, 2003, 12:16 PM
On the music issue..what about a CD with more nature sounds and maybe a few little wood wind sounds thrown in? I also have a hard time doing other things with music playing. I can never sleep with music on and even visiting with people with it on in the background annoys me.

Yea...that might be a nice alternative...Freyja also uses a CD during Reiki treatments that might work well. (mental note to self - ask Freyja what that CD was).

Incense is a staple in our daily life. In fact once my sister left her jacket at our house and when she picked it up she said, "it smells like your house." I was a little concerned until she clarified that she meant the incense. Since it is such a part of our daily, mundane life, I prefer to use essential oils during ritualistic mediatations etc.

I really use both incense and essential oils regularly. However I have reserved certain fragrances for certain things. For example I use a mix of sage and palmrosa in my bedroom in the mornings...it helps me to wake up. I use morning star sandalwood or patchouli in the evenings...it calms me. I use more traditional frankincense and myrrh for meditations. I have other blends if I am doing dream work, and yet other blends if I am trying to cleanse. The list goes on. I am a bona fide incense junkie…I have a special cabinet just for incense. :lol:

One of the things I love best about this house is the sauna. You can take a few drops of a particular essential oil and mix it with the water your poor over the coals and man..what an intense session. Very relaxing and empowering at the same time. It is the ultimate cleansing place. Of course I can't spend any quality time in there while pregnant, which seems to be all the time lately. Also a good thing is to have someone nearby in case you get too into the ritual that you lose track of time..could be dangerous. I wish there was a timer on the heater. You really should come over some time and give it a try. It is a nice private area with plenty of room and Mol could just sneak in and turn off the heater at a designated time if you don't come out!

That does sound wonderful…I am seriously jealous of that sauna and hot tub. =)

Semele
July 28th, 2003, 03:40 PM
That does sound wonderful…I am seriously jealous of that sauna and hot tub. =)

Don't be jealous silly...just come use it!

mol
July 29th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Pillars

I have been drawn to these pillars at the very early stages of my study of Qabalah. I have been doing a lot of thinking about them. Like a lot of folks that are following this…I am using a temple cloth. So storage of these pillars is a concern. I mean if I had a temple room the storage would not be a concern…they stay in the temple. When using a cloth though…I have to find a place to put these things when not in use. A pair of 6 foot pillars would be a PITA to store especially in my particular situation.

Honestly, at this point I am considering NOT building them. Or if I do build them…I may build them in miniature…say 3’ tall…that would be a lot easier to deal with storage wise.

LMAO. Well, I have yet to EVER see 6 foot Pillars in anyones Temple setting. The great Beast himself used only the 4 principle weapons in any Magic working so I would have to nullfiy the authors requirements thus far in this respect.

Toad
July 29th, 2003, 01:28 PM
The great Beast himself used only the 4 principle weapons in any Magic working so I would have to nullfiy the authors requirements thus far in this respect.

Agreed - however Crowely did discuss at length the 'proper temple furnishing' - how these items should be made entirely by the magician etc. I half think its in this stage of Liber Aba that he is 'taking the piss' to a degree. Anyway - I dont see these in the same category as the '4 principle weapons' the pillars are clearly temple furnishings. ;)

Still I am with you...I am coming to see that Norwicki, coming from a GD background (like Crowley) had some early programming that I dont think Crowely every overcame and quite obviously our author is suffering from as well.

Let me quote my new most favorite author:

The ancient writers had hidden the secrets in plain sight - as you will see when we examine the old texts - but the Victorian age magicians of the Golden Dawn school, with their phobia against hypnosis and their commendable distrust of passive spiritualist mediumship, had de-emphasized the actual methods of renaissance evocation and invocation in favor of a Western Tantra in which images are carefully built up in the imagination and then allowed to provide psychic feedback. Instead of the traditional crystals and dark mirrors for visionary work, they preferred to use abstract colored symbols to stimulate the imagination. These methods are different in conception and technique from the shamanic calling down or summoning up of spontaneous visions from that great storehouse of images renaissance magicians knew as “The World Soul” and we now refer to as “The Collective Unconscious”.

Having done extensive research into GD and their 'western tantra based images' I see now why the author is so adamant about the temple and its furnishings. While I dont see any harm in it in particular...I personally am much more concerned at this point reading about self hypnosis than I am worried about building 6' pillars. :lol:

mol
July 29th, 2003, 01:46 PM
I agreed with the 'ordeal' of building the Temple up to this point, but these new requirements are a little too much and I think they overstress the point of connecting the mind with Magical work.

I also don't agree with Crowley or anyone else who says one 'needs' to make the tools to be used. Does a mechanic need to make his own socket set in order for it to do its job? Does a fortune teller need to make his/her own Tarot cards in order to give you an accurate reading?

Toad
July 29th, 2003, 02:03 PM
I also don't agree with Crowley or anyone else who says one 'needs' to make the tools to be used. Does a mechanic need to make his own socket set in order for it to do its job? Does a fortune teller need to make his/her own Tarot cards in order to give you an accurate reading?

I agree completely Mol - but at the same time I find it helpful to understand where they were coming from.

I posted this in another thread but it pertains to this discussion directly so I will link it again:

Magick and Hypnosis (http://members.aol.com/CHSOTA/magick.zip)

Poke has completed the goals of Crowely and Norwicki but his vehicle is MUCH different (hypnosis). It's also intresting to hear modern OTO practitioners (namely Uncle Lon) proclaim Poke as the revolutionary master. Anyway...

If you look at these suggestions that making your own tools comes from folks that are hindered by the GD 'Western Tantric Image' philosphy...it makes perfect sense why they are so adamant about symbolism. What better way to build up the symbolism in the magicians mind than to have him construct his own tools. Hell in the GD in the upper grades you were expected to paint your own tarot cards. :D

The more I read the more I am convinced that GD systems are overly difficult...and that in fact their presence has done a lot of damage to modern Ceremonial Magic practices. Along this same train of thought...its intresting to see how many other traditions may be needlessly complicated due to exposure to GD principles.

mol
July 29th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Well, we are very symbolic creatures. We hold to our symbols and use them in many, many ways. It is only natural to use them in Magic. Remember, the GD is not the beginning of this practice.

Toad
July 29th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Well, we are very symbolic creatures. We hold to our symbols and use them in many, many ways. It is only natural to use them in Magic. Remember, the GD is not the beginning of this practice.

Agreed we are symbolic creatures...the question is, in my mind anyway, is the build up of images in the conscious mind preferable to speaking directly with the subconscious through hypnosis? I will readily admit that I am unqualified to answer that question with any authority...however there are men much wiser and more experienced that I that are saying self hypnosis is the key.

As you so wisely point out...the GD was NOT the origin...however they ARE source for a large portion modern occult magickal practices (Thelema, Wicca, etc can attribute many of their operations to the GD). I personally am of the opinion that the GD core philosphy is flawed...

Toad
July 29th, 2003, 02:20 PM
I personally am of the opinion that the GD core philosphy is flawed...\

Actually...let me restate this.

I am of the opinion that the GD's core philosphy of Tantric Symbolism is overly difficult and that through a course of hypnotic trancework the same objectives can be accomplished with much less difficulty.

mol
July 29th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Agreed we are symbolic creatures...the question is, in my mind anyway, is the build up of images in the conscious mind preferable to speaking directly with the subconscious through hypnosis?

I am, at this point, unconvinced that hypnosis is any more useful than symbolic meditation. My studies on the subject are a bit limited, but I base my conclusion none the less. I will look a bit further however...

Toad
July 29th, 2003, 02:35 PM
I am, at this point, unconvinced that hypnosis is any more useful than symbolic meditation. My studies on the subject are a bit limited, but I base my conclusion none the less. I will look a bit further however...

I look forward to comparing notes =). You should include Poke's book with the tape man...the book is a real eye opener.

mol
July 29th, 2003, 02:40 PM
I look forward to comparing notes =). You should include Poke's book with the tape man...the book is a real eye opener.
I will put it on my half.com wish list. :)

SkySilver
July 29th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Hello guys.... :)

I am new to this class. I have been reading through the threads these past two days.

I ordered the book that you guys are working with.

Should I be making the temple cloth at this point?

Well to put it simpler, what should I do to be up to speed with the rest of you?

Skysilver :broomride

Toad
July 29th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Sky -

I think I will defer to Mol at this point.

I can say that the temple cloth is helpful to me and I am quite happy that I spent the time and money making it. Its the others things that the author outlines that I am not sure I agree with (the pillars for example).

Welcome aboard...it will be nice to have another person to bounce ideas off of. =)

Toad
July 29th, 2003, 07:26 PM

Coming back to this a bit later, sorry I was in a rush earlier, I don't really think the question is necessarily which is preferable...rather I am curious if the vehicle of hypnosis doesn’t bear closer investigation. I am having trouble articulating this point but I wonder if symbolic meditation and hypnotic trance work aren't simply two means of accomplishing the same goal. That goal being to transcend the abyss…

An analogy that comes to mind is one of how a golfer approaches a round. Speaking from experience (yours truly at one point carried a positive handicap) different players approach the game on a fundamentally different levels. For example one of my playing partners, and avid competitors was the conservative calculating player. He always thought of his shots ten ways and calculated the highest percentage. He was very analytical. Where as I on the other hand was more the 'let it rip’ type – ‘feel player'. If I ever tried to back off my game and play conservatively I would invariably get in trouble. If I walked out...trust my instincts and just ‘let it rip’ I played fantastic. If my friend tried to play with more feel and less thought he was all over the place. I loved playing with this guy, and still do in fact (though these days he chews me up and spits me out – I am out of practice which is critical for a ‘feel’ player). We could never talk about strategy to each other…we were just diametrically opposed. We took two entirely different approaches…both valid…both accomplished the goal…but you could not get a different philosophy on the game if you tried.

Using this analogy…I see the analytical approach as the ‘symbolic meditation’ and the ‘let it rip – feel player’ as the hypnotic trance work. If that makes any sense at all…

I wonder if hypnotic trance work and symbolic meditation aren’t simply two different ways of skinning the same cat so to speak.

SkySilver
July 29th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks Toad, :)

I look forward to catching up. I already started cleaning the space that I plan to use. I am most likely going to make a temple cloth. I like to visually 'see' the directions N-S-E-W. I will probably modify it to look a little different though. From what I read so far in the past threads - it seems like its okay for me to do so.

BB, Skysilver

mol
July 30th, 2003, 10:02 AM
I would say that if you have read through the threads then you are ready to jump in right now. Go ahead and start preparing your Temple cloth or area. :) Welcome!

mol
July 30th, 2003, 10:05 AM
I wonder if hypnotic trance work and symbolic meditation aren’t simply two different ways of skinning the same cat so to speak.

Well, I can agree there. There are many different ways to achieve the same goals. This is something we learn all through life. :)

SkySilver
July 30th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Great. Thanks, mol. :)

Toad
July 30th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Doing some more research and reading I have decided to make an altar. I know that I am reversing my earlier post...but…I do have a reason. I am not claiming that this is the correct path to take, nor am I suggesting this for everyone. This is a departure of sorts…and any feedback would be welcomed. =)

I wonder how many of you have heard of ‘The Almadel of Solomon’? The Almadel of Solomon is a book of the Lemegeton Compendium. I first read about it from Poke Runyon’s book – “The Book of Soloman’s Magick”. According to the Lemegeton version of the Almadel…it was a table top device made from wax. The Almadel was suspended several inches above the altar surface by candles that would extend through the wax tablet at its four corners. In the center of the tablet a crystal sphere would be placed…surrounding the sphere holes would be made in the wax tablet. These holes would allow incense smoke from a small incense burner below the crystal and tablet to billow up and encircle the crystal creating a hypnotic effect.

The whole purpose of this device was to invoke the Almadel Angels which according to the Lemegeton controlled the spirits of the Goetia.

In ‘The Book of Solomon’s Magick’ Poke makes one hell of a case for using a modified version of this device as a mandatory preliminary phase to any Goetia evocation. He suggests a process to invoke the 4 archangels – Raphael, Gabriel, Michael, and Auriel in the center crystal. Poke used this exact invocation process when he contacted his Holy Guardian Angel. He also adamantly maintains that the magician MUST successfully invoke the 4 archangels into the crystal before he even begins to think of any Goetia evocations. The archangels are invoked first to protect the Mage. Poke even suggests that if the mage was to successfully evoke Goetia spirits without the archangels on the magician’s side is akin to opening Pandora’s Box.

To my mind I have read about these operations and processes for a reason. I am going to pursue experiments in these operations. So I will be modifying some of the author’s suggestions as we go along. The first change I am making is the altar. I have attached a picture of it below…this is the modern version lf the Almadel.

I am also incorporating some additional exercises. I will write of those in the next day or so.

mol
July 31st, 2003, 10:00 AM
In ‘The Book of Solomon’s Magick’ Poke makes one hell of a case for using a modified version of this device as a mandatory preliminary phase to any Goetia evocation. He suggests a process to invoke the 4 archangels – Raphael, Gabriel, Michael, and Auriel in the center crystal. Poke used this exact invocation process when he contacted his Holy Guardian Angel. He also adamantly maintains that the magician MUST successfully invoke the 4 archangels into the crystal before he even begins to think of any Goetia evocations. The archangels are invoked first to protect the Mage. Poke even suggests that if the mage was to successfully evoke Goetia spirits without the archangels on the magician’s side is akin to opening Pandora’s Box.

There is no reason to invoke the archangels for protection. One only needs to use a cone power shield in Goetian evocations.

Toad
July 31st, 2003, 10:27 AM
There is no reason to invoke the archangels for protection. One only needs to use a cone power shield in Goetian evocations.

You have GOT to read Poke's book. He makes a fairly compelling argument in opposition. Though I think Poke comes more from the standpoint that the invocation of the archangels is more 'historically' accurate based on his research. Based on my limited research into the Lemegeton I tend to agree with him on this point. I mean that is the entire purpose of The Book of Almadel is to summon the arch angels. This book has not been circulated with more modern translations of the Goetia. Then again these modern versions were translated by authors that failed in their Goetia evocation attempts *looks at Uncle Al*. I am guessing that Poke’s stance is a disclaimer of sorts for himself…meaning if he tells you to have the archangels on your side before an evocation and you don’t and something goes wrong – his karma is clean so to speak.

I feel I should clarify that Poke doesn’t suggest that you always invoke the archangels then perform your Goetia operation…rather the archangel invocations are done as prior operations and are used as a form of protection for the magician, circle, altar etc…as well as a consecration of said. Think of the archangel invocations as opening the door…and establishing a connection with them.

Now...I will readily admit I am a neophyte. I have no practical hands on experience. With that out there...

I understand your stance on the issue Mol... However, do you see a reason why one should NOT have previously invoked the 4 archangels prior to a Goetia operation? I personally don’t see how it could hurt a thing…while at the same time I would feel that much more confident evoking a demon if I had Gabriel, Raphael, Michael and Auriel as a verified ally! =) Then again…what the hell do I know?

mol
July 31st, 2003, 10:51 AM
I understand your stance on the issue Mol... However, do you see a reason why one should NOT have previously invoked the 4 archangels prior to a Goetia operation? I personally don’t see how it could hurt a thing…while at the same time I would feel that much more confident evoking a demon if I had Gabriel, Raphael, Michael and Auriel as a verified ally! =) Then again…what the hell do I know?

The Archangels have a duty of protecting this world, but they owe no allegiance to any one human or magician. Invoking the archangels as watchdogs practically enslaves them to the magician (not too endearing, eh?). You need to visualize *who* and *what* the archangels are and then you will start to see why I dont particularly like the idea.

Lets look at it this way. You are one of the most powerful entities in the universe and are suddenly wrenched from your existence to the mundane world to watch over a silly goon that wants to get his/her jollies by invoking Belial and he/she wants you there to fix any screw ups...

How do you think this entity will feel towards you after this?

Toad
July 31st, 2003, 11:18 AM
The Archangels have a duty of protecting this world, but they owe no allegiance to any one human or magician. Invoking the archangels as watchdogs practically enslaves them to the magician (not too endearing, eh?). You need to visualize *who* and *what* the archangels are and then you will start to see why I dont particularly like the idea.

Lets look at it this way. You are one of the most powerful entities in the universe and are suddenly wrenched from your existence to the mundane world to watch over a silly goon that wants to get his/her jollies by invoking Belial and he/she wants you there to fix any screw ups...

How do you think this entity will feel towards you after this?

I see more where you are coming from. Maybe we just have a misconception of the word and or the method of invocation. I have always thought of an invocation as an invitation (Poke also very clearly relays this slant as well – in his system the archangels are treated as gods with all respect and revereance)...I am not commanding anything/anyones appearance...I am asking for their favor, inviting them into my temple/life, paying them homage, offering them gifts...hell I am worshiping them. I just don’t see that as enslavement. I would never, not even for a millisecond consider issuing an order/command to an archangel.

What I am talking about is performing a ritual that was passed down from the magicians of old. A ritual that invites the archangels into the magicians temple (btw I see the temple as simply an extension of the mages physical form - so in my mind I am inviting the archangels into myself). I am paying homage to the archangels....I am in a very real sense worshiping them. I do this as a sign of respect so that when I move to the evocation operations and open with my invoking pentagram rituals and visualize the archangels surrounding me, we (the archangels and I) have already met.

Using your example were I an archangel and a magician invoked me in the manner that I described I would not be insulted in the slightest...I think I would be more akin to - its about time you asked me round you goon (I like that one Mol) ;-)

mol
July 31st, 2003, 11:29 AM
Perfect explanation, Toad!

Toad
July 31st, 2003, 11:46 AM
Perfect explanation, Toad!

Err...OK.

I still would present the same question...sorry I am in a fog today for some reason.

Given the above description of the invocation of the archangels. Do you see why a magician should NOT do this prior to undertaking any Goetia evocation operations? Of course with the understanding that it may not be entirely necessary...

mol
July 31st, 2003, 11:49 AM
Err...OK.

I still would present the same question...sorry I am in a fog today for some reason.

Given the above description of the invocation of the archangels. Do you see why a magician should NOT do this prior to undertaking any Goetia evocation operations? Of course with the understanding that it may not be entirely necessary...
No. I don't see any problem with it at all. I just wanted to get you to say what you were thinking.

Toad
July 31st, 2003, 11:54 AM
I just wanted to get you to say what you were thinking.

:razz: :D

SkySilver
July 31st, 2003, 04:44 PM
Hey Toad, I think that it would be a great idea to invoke the archangels.

I know that I personally would feel a lot safer doing so. What is the name of that book again? I may get it.

Toad
July 31st, 2003, 05:38 PM
The Book of Solomon's Magic - by Carol 'Poke' Runyon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/096548811X/qid=1059687408/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-8155685-4393713?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

This is Poke's home website...there are a few free articles out there that give you a feel for his writing styles...chapter 2 of this book is out there even.

http://members.aol.com/CHSOTA/main.html

Semele
July 31st, 2003, 05:41 PM
No. I don't see any problem with it at all. I just wanted to get you to say what you were thinking.
Mol, are you doing that mind thing I showed you last night? It isn't nice to read peoples minds ya know..somewhat of a violation of privacy!!

Toad
July 31st, 2003, 05:44 PM
Mol, are you doing that mind thing I showed you last night? It isn't nice to read peoples minds ya know..somewhat of a violation of privacy!!

He is just pushing me Semele...it's all good.

SkySilver
July 31st, 2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks Toad, I will check it out :)

I thought I would share with you guys the area I am going to set up as my temple. I have been cleaning it for the past three days. Trying to follow the author's advice. Well, here it goes... Let me see if I can do this right:

mol
August 1st, 2003, 10:39 AM
The area looks good. Post some more pics when you get started.

mol
August 1st, 2003, 10:43 AM
At some point I will post this ritual…it was moving. I slept on the bank of a river, a beautiful, small, clean river not too far from home. The ring was anchored to a tree branch over hanging the water and suspended in the water and allowed to float around in the river current attached to the tree via string. I literally did hours of meditation on cleansing the ring and slept on the bank of the river…followed by more meditation in the morning and a small closing. It was a very powerful ritual and this ring now has a very positive and very unique vibe to it.

So, tell...

What were experiences by the river? What did you feel? What did you hear? What did you see? What did you smell?

Toad
August 1st, 2003, 11:44 AM
Thanks Toad, I will check it out :)

I thought I would share with you guys the area I am going to set up as my temple. I have been cleaning it for the past three days. Trying to follow the author's advice. Well, here it goes... Let me see if I can do this right:

Nice Sky...I wish I had a place that I could use like that...without having to do construction. =)

Toad
August 1st, 2003, 11:44 AM
I promised that I would include some of the other exercises that I have begun I will start with the construction of my ‘Samadhi Lamp’ and my developing my tratakam abilities.

Samadhi Lamp and Tratakam

Basically this lamp is a blue light bulb behind a 12” disc with a 1.5” clear frosted filtered hole cut in the middle with a .5” black dot in the middle of the frosted portion. This whole thing is suspended from the ceiling.

This device is used in developing the magicians tratakam ability. Tratakam is a raja yoga technique of fixed gaze. It is a self induced hypnotic trance that allows the magician to stare at a fixed point for several minutes without blinking. Now at first I thought, hell that’s easy I don’t need a bunch of books and lights and crap to stare at something. Poke offers a simple test in his book…simply try to stare at your wrist watch for 3 full minutes without blinking. If you are like me you will find that its damn near impossible to stare unblinking for longer than 1 minute. My eyes welled up, my eyes twitched, my face tingled…it was a true learning experience.

The purpose of learning tratakam is for later when we are working with the black mirrors with doing our evocations. Tratakam is the fundamental method that Poke suggests one uses when working with your black mirror. I figured, after my failed watch experiment that there was something to learn here…so I built my first Samadhi Lamp.

The first lamp I built was done very cheaply. I used a clip on light for the actual lamp piece ($5 at Lowes) and of course the blue light build ($3 – they are proud of blue light bulbs). For the disk I just used cardboard and for the filtered center I used the top of a clear coat spray paint can. The thing looked horrible but the effects were pretty incredible.

I am at a totally loss as to what the blue lights and dots and such actually do…but let me tell you if you use this thing as Poke suggests…WOW. I did the exercise by the book…starting with Pranayama breathing techniques for a few minutes I would then lie on my back and stare at the black dot of the lamp. You have not probe the lamp, if that makes sense…just look at the dot…fix your eyes on the dot. And try to not think…quiet your mind and relax your body. I almost immediately had some really wild visual effects going on – reminded me of my early 20’s and the time my room mate convinced me 3 hits of acid and a drive to Joshua Tree State park in the desert would be a cool way to spend a Saturday. :lol: Once you have experienced the visual effects but can still maintain contact with the dot I begin feeling intense relaxation…almost as if I couldn’t move if I wanted to. I have experienced other sensations as well…most often it feels as if I am sinking and even sometimes like the bed is spinning but still I can maintain contact with the light.

After about my 10th use of the lamp I decided that it was going to be a permanent piece in the bedroom…and I knew that the wife was not going to tolerate a bunch of cardboard and junk hanging over the bed...so I built a right purdy one. I got everything at the local Lowe’s – stool seat ($6) – 10’ of decorative chain ($4) – upright desk lamp ($6) – florescent filter replacement ($7 – enough to make about 20 of these things) – hardware to hang the lamp ($3). I cut a 1.5” hole in the middle of the stool seat and using my router I recessed a lip to place the filter on that I cut using tin snips and glued in place. On the back side of the seat I routed a hole that was 3/8” deep that was exactly the diameter of the lamp I bought - about 3”. I also drilled the lamp (it’s basically a cylinder with little feet on the bottom…the bulb goes in the middle and normally it would direct the light straight up – for this purpose I just turned it upside down) to allow light to seep out around the outside edge of the disk. I attached the light with a couple small ‘L’ brackets and screws. For the middle dot I used my trusty black Sharpie. In finished it off with a nice coat of stain and poly clear coat. It actually looks like some sort of art deco lamp. (I will provide pictures when the wife gets back from England – she took the digital camera).

mol
August 1st, 2003, 11:55 AM
Excellent use of creativity, Toad! Effective and aesthetic! :)

~ Monk ~
August 1st, 2003, 12:28 PM

I know I'm going back a bit, but I'm trying to catch up. Regarding music, you may want to check out this artist:

www.ashera.com

This is excellent music for meditation as it's non-intrusive - you hear it, but it's not ever in your face. The music flows so well, you can barely tell when one song ends and another begins.There are MP3s on the site, so you can see if it would work for these purposes. I highly recommend Cobalt 144, Colour Glow or We Gaia.

I have more suggestions if you want 'em...;)

Toad
August 1st, 2003, 12:46 PM
So, tell...

What were experiences by the river? What did you feel? What did you hear? What did you see? What did you smell?

Well let’s see. I got my ring on a Thursday at ‘lunch’. After a quick check of moon phases and such I felt it was right to head to the river. After work I ran to the house…fed animals, grabbed my sleeping bag, a change of clothes and filled up my water jug.

Now I should say that one of my favorite past times is fly fishing...and I am quite familiar with some of our local waterways. Now before the fundie nature lovers get bent, I am a firm practitioner of catch and release, I am a card carrying member of Trout Unlimited and I regularly donate both money and time to cleaning up waterways. Anyway…I have a special spot that takes quite a hike to get to after a fairly hefty drive off-road over some private land (I have the owners permission)…in other words its in the middle of no where…very secluded and absolutely beautiful.

After arriving at the spot I did some light meditation, basically just for grounding. There is a beautiful little bend in the river, up against an undercut bank with over hanging willow trees. I had to half hang off the embankment to tie the ring onto an over hanging branch (OK I will admit it…I fell in once…ok ok twice. :lol: ). After I got the ring anchored I got dressed in the sky, which was very nice as it was very warm that day.

I had a ritual bath in the river…symbolically washing myself in the river…making sure to wash down and away…the whole time envisioning all negative energies flowing away from me into the river and away downstream to infinity.

I then spread out on my sleeping bag in my favorite prone position, again clad in the sky and used my tried and true TM mantra techniques to go as deep in meditation as I was capable. I honestly lost track of time during this process. Once I felt that I had bottomed out I ceased the mantra and allow my mind to focus on the river. Listening to the gentle ‘tinkle-pop’ noise as the water flows over the rocks…the gurgling noise of the rainbows sipping caddis larvae off the surface. The smell of damp musty earth permeated me spot until the wind came up at some point later. Anyway…as I focused on the river and visualized the negative energy flowing out of my ring as it bobbed and weaved in the current. I don’t know how long this simple visualization went on…but at one point I just felt it was clean and I turned my attention to the river.

I imagined myself floating along with the river…and I frankly just got lost. I floated down this small river into a much larger one…and floated in this river for a good while until I noticed the water going salty and I realized that I was in the ocean. All the time I was floating it was as if I could see the fish, see the snakes and birds. I saw fish being born, I saw them being eaten by the larger fish. A wonderful, beautiful place is a river…but dangerous and ugly at times as well.

I honestly don’t remember the transition but at some point I was no longer in the water I was in the air, I was flying and observing the birth of children, children at play, but I also saw fighting and yes even murder…and it just all the sudden hit me what I was seeing. Everything IS ONE. All things are connected.

Sometime after this I started to rouse myself…it was dark now and after lookin at my watch I discovered that I had been in the meditative state for approaching 9 hours…it was 4am. I was thirsty and all the sudden very very tired.

I went to sleep out there…bound in the night sky…listening to the circkets as I feel asleep.

The dream I had was very interesting. I have often dreamt of Thoth of late…this evening proved no exception. However, there was a major difference…I actually remembered what he said to me the next morning. In my dream I was sitting in a pine forest…but the trees were HUGE like redwoods and I was reading a book and an Ibsis headed Thoth came out of the underbrush…he walked over, nealt down looked me dead in the eye, and said, “You are finally beginning to see my son”. He patted me on the knee and walked off.

I woke the next morning and I had another ritual bath…this time I washed up and toward me envisioning drawing the rivers energy into myself. I retrieved my ring and headed back to civilization.

Like I said…it was a very moving experience.

Toad
August 1st, 2003, 12:47 PM
I have more suggestions if you want 'em...;)

neato Shpongle...please fire away! I liked ashera suggestions... =)

Toad
August 1st, 2003, 01:38 PM
... it just all the sudden hit me what I was seeing. Everything IS ONE. All things are connected.

I don't see how I forgot this...it is absolutely the most important revelation. I guess I just got distracted at work.

Anyway...after I had that realization that all things are connected and that everything is one...I snapped back to an INTENSE visualization of my ring. I saw it floating in a sea of black and it was light... but I could not tell the source of the light...it was HUGE. I keep thinking that 'all things are connected ' and the light would somehow cause a highlight on the metals surface to roatate around the ring in circles. Thats when I finally understood the purpose of this ring is a reminder that - All things are one and like the circle of the ring, what I send out will return...also like the circle in the temple this ring was now my circle it was my protector as long as I wore it no harm could come to me.

Sorry I forgot to get that in the first version...stupid work! =)

~ Monk ~
August 1st, 2003, 01:51 PM
neato Shpongle...please fire away! I liked ashera suggestions... =)

Toad, is there any direction given as to the type of music you'd ideally have? I can think of a few other recommendations but I'm not sure if they'd be inappropriate/distracting...

Toad
August 1st, 2003, 01:54 PM
Somthing like - Andrew Weil's "Sound Body, Sound Mind" (I finally rembered to ask Freyja) is just about perfect...very much like what you talked about initially. Very subtle, not distracting...you said it very expertly in that you almost dont hear it

mol
August 1st, 2003, 02:21 PM
I honestly lost track of time during this process.

This is very important. Try to elaborate and think about this specific comment. What do you mean...'lost track of time'? Did you lose track of time? Or did Time simply not exist?

SkySilver
August 1st, 2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks, mol and Toad.... I will definitely post more pictures as I progress with the space.

Hey shpongle, I like that music - I may get it

Toad
August 1st, 2003, 02:31 PM
This is very important. Try to elaborate and think about this specific comment. What do you mean...'lost track of time'? Did you lose track of time? Or did Time simply not exist?

Well...thats intresting...because that sensation was very unusual. I was totally unaware of time...in the sense that it did indeed cease to exist. There was no particular point when this occured...it was more like I realized this after the fact. I can tell you as I was floating and flying there were several days that went past (it was night and day several times...I dont recall how many days/nights).

Is that what you are looking for?

Curious as well...why is this important? You got me sitting on the edge of my seat. =)

Toad
August 1st, 2003, 02:36 PM
Well...thats intresting...because that sensation was very unusual. I was totally unaware of time...in the sense that it did indeed cease to exist. There was no particular point when this occured...it was more like I realized this after the fact. I can tell you as I was floating and flying there were several days that went past (it was night and day several times...I dont recall how many days/nights).

Curious as well...why is this important? You got me sitting on the edge of my seat. =)

I just thought of something else.

Lets see...have you ever seen one of those videos they show on TV of the flowers blooming and then dying in like 30seconds due to being shot with super high speed film? Or the same thing only with clouds billowing across the sky? During this meditation there was alot of that kind of thing going on...it wasnt all fast like all the time...seemed that when I would kind of float up it got fast but when I focused on a bird or a snake or something it would slow down a bit but still things moved faster than normal...however my motions were at a normal speed.

Its very hard to describe...hope that makes sense.

mol
August 1st, 2003, 03:51 PM

Well, rather than me spilling any beans...why do YOU think that it is important now that I have pointed out. Hint: you won't read about this in any book...only you can answer it. So, give it a thougt and give it a shot. Don't overanalyze, though.

Toad
August 1st, 2003, 03:58 PM
Well, rather than me spilling any beans...why do YOU think that it is important now that I have pointed out. Hint: you won't read about this in any book...only you can answer it. So, give it a thougt and give it a shot. Don't overanalyze, though.

I dont want you to think I am ignoring you...but I wont be thinking on this for a while. Totally unrelated but for the first time in several months I really lost my temper. Going to get off this thing for a while...

mol
August 1st, 2003, 04:17 PM
I dont want you to think I am ignoring you...but I wont be thinking on this for a while. Totally unrelated but for the first time in several months I really lost my temper. Going to get off this thing for a while...
Respond when you feel like you can. No hurry... :)

Toad
August 1st, 2003, 04:53 PM
Mol - without analyzing it in depth the thing that comes to mind is that the loss of time like that equates to a transcendant state. I have been able to get into that state for literally years...

Is this what you meant?

mol
August 1st, 2003, 05:06 PM
Not really. I am not talking about any kind of methods or how you did it..etc. I am talking about Time. Why did you think that time seem to be non-existant?

Toad
August 1st, 2003, 05:10 PM
Not really. I am not talking about any kind of methods or how you did it..etc. I am talking about Time. Why did you think that time seem to be non-existant?

I just meant that in TM we have a term called a transcendant state. I define that as ceasing to be yourself and transcending your existance to join with what Jung would call the collective unconscious. Or as a Qabalist might explain I crossed over to the Kether/Chokmah/Binah supernal...or that I temorarily crossed the abyss. "Transcendant State" is jargon for a spiritual state not a method if you follow my meaning.

mol
August 1st, 2003, 05:28 PM
LMAO.

:)

Toad. Why...did...time....cease...to...exist?

Toad
August 3rd, 2003, 12:30 PM
Mol –

I understand what question you are asking…I can see it written. I have stewed on this most of the weekend even done some light meditations on the issue (I know I know…you said don’t over analyze – sue me). I think I answered the question…but obviously we are coming at this from different angles so…

As I said earlier I believe that this meditation was truly a transcendent state…my consciousness crossed over. Honestly, thinking on this and going back to read my other journals I have experienced this state on numerous occasions and during each of these, time does indeed seem to cease to exist. I know this doesn’t directly answer your question either…bear with me.

I think that ‘time’ is relative to consciousness.

Let me explain that a wee bit further with an example. I used to play football, wide receiver (heh don’t laugh I didn’t always have a beer gut ;) ). I made one hell of a receiver, I know now that the reason I was as good as I was rested solely on my ability to concentrate on the ball even though I could hear, feel and even smell the defensive players on the way to knock the crap out or me. It didn’t always happen, but when I was ‘on’, time literally seemed to slow. I could see the ball coming in, and in my minds eye I could see the players around me, the sensation was very much like slow motion scene in a movie…only I didn’t feel as if I was slowed along with everyone else. Well let me clarify, my body was only going to move so fast, but my mind was running 100MPH. I could see the ball coming in, the tackles rushing toward me, I saw where I needed to cut to after the catch but it felt as if this 1 or 2 seconds lasted a minute and I had all the time in the world to think about what I was going to do, etc.

I think that ‘time’ is relative to consciousness.

Now…I know the question is, ‘Why did time cease to exist?’ My honest answer is, I think that time is relative to the conscious state of the mind and when certain states are achieved time ceases to exist. Frankly, after going through this about a million times I honestly just flat do not see where the loss of time is significant other than its an indicator of ‘crossing over’. If I am in error I look forward to being corrected mind you...

That said…when I say ‘I experienced a transcendent state’ that will automatically mean that ‘time’ will have ceased to exist or altered drastically, at least in my mind and in my experience. I guess I take this as a given….and just assumed that when I said I crossed over, you would know what I meant. Obviously that was not the case :D

Mol…this honestly my best attempt at answering your question. I look forward to your reply with great eagerness.

Toad
August 4th, 2003, 12:02 PM
All magical work begins within and is projected outwards.

To me this statement is a given. Magic is 'causing changes to occur in accordance with will' - will being the key here. The will being an internal aspect of the magician. Magic is the means that he projects his will outward and causes said change.

Toad
August 4th, 2003, 12:03 PM
The Tree is a diagram of forces not things.

Forces is an interesting choice of words I think. I had thought of the Tree is a diagram of ideas, but after the meditation I understand fully the authors suggestions that sephiroth are in fact forces. For example Binah or Understanding is a thing/force that can cause change. Using the example of compassion...the first step in having compassion is to understand. Once we understand we can have compassion for another. Once we have compassion we can help or simply support the object of our compassion or understanding.

Toad
August 4th, 2003, 12:09 PM
The subconscious mind is the Magical Agent…the conscious mind controls and directs.

I believe that the subconscious mind is the untapped potential of humanity. The capabilities of the human race are unknown to a large degree due to our limited use of our god/dess given brain power. I believe that any 'magic power' for lack of a better word is rooted in the subconscious and it is the magicians conscious mind and his will that controls and directs this power to effect change in accordance with his will.

Toad
August 4th, 2003, 12:11 PM
To the magician, mind and matter are a continuity.

All things are part of the one. Hence my mind and this keyboard for example are one. Just as the small stream that flows to the river that flows to the ocean are one so are each of us are connected.

Toad
August 4th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Magic has not died, merely increased in complexity.
I have often thought this.

I think of myself and my path here. I spent the majority of my life with no spirituality in my immediate family. The thought of deity was non-esxistant. The thought that magic is real and possible was a fairy tale. I wonder if we are not doing a disservice to our children by not making them believe that anything is possible (even magic). In the ancient times...magic was a given. It existed it was real and usable (though you might burn in hell for using it :lol: ) In this day and age we have much more baggage to overcome to first believe that magic is even possible. This belief is in my opinion the initial requirement to making magic work for you. As a magician you must KNOW that your magic will effect the change you require or you are simply wasting your time.

Toad
August 4th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Tree of Life Exercise
First we are to draw the tree using basic circles for the individual sephiroth. Starting at Kether use it to mean the best of ourselves…think and meditate and write down what you think your best trait is. Then move to Chockmah which as we know means wisdom…think back and use an example of a time when you said or did something wise. Then move to Binah which stands for understanding…we then ferret out an instance where we were truly understanding. Just work your way through the tree in this fashion. Once complete we are to repeat the exercise but to use the negative. For example in Kether we would think and decide what our most negative trait is and write it down…working through the tree in this fashion.

Once complete we are to use each example as a meditation subject for the day…alternating between the positive and negative sephiroth. This should take 20 days.

Creative Visualization
Imagine a spiral stair case in the temple that goes up into another temple just like the one below. Go to the chair in this upper level and sit down. Allow yourself to sink into a deeper level of meditation. If you pop down…repeat the climbing process.

I just wanted to throw a couple comments out here on these two exercises.

The tree of life exercise is a tremendous learning tool. I would argue that ANYONE who is learning Qabalah and the Tree of Life use this exercise to gain insight into the tree. This exercise will give you a basic overview of the tree…but it has also showed me a lot of interconnections between the different forces and how they drive things in the everyday world. This is a fantastic exercise.

Lastly, the creative visualization exercises have been very helpful to me. I have begun using visualization to work on the Middle Pillar, LBRP and other exercises when I am away from home. I am finding that my visualization skills are growing in leaps and bounds.

Toad
August 9th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Just added pics of the Samadhi Lamp (post 40) for those intrested.

mol
August 11th, 2003, 10:34 AM
The Tree is a diagram of forces not things.

Forces is an interesting choice of words I think. I had thought of the Tree is a diagram of ideas, but after the meditation I understand fully the authors suggestions that sephiroth are in fact forces. For example Binah or Understanding is a thing/force that can cause change. Using the example of compassion...the first step in having compassion is to understand. Once we understand we can have compassion for another. Once we have compassion we can help or simply support the object of our compassion or understanding.
How do you see the tree as it relates to the Universal All in the sense that we, humans, like to percieve it?

Toad
August 11th, 2003, 11:26 AM
How do you see the tree as it relates to the Universal All in the sense that we, humans, like to percieve it?

I see the tree as a map of the forces that exemplify the Universal all.

The triads signify the different levels of consciousness. The individual sephiroth represent forces in their purest forms. The paths represent lesser forces and serve as a guide as one progressively develops their consciousness.

mol
August 14th, 2003, 10:37 AM
I see the tree as a map of the forces that exemplify the Universal all.

The triads signify the different levels of consciousness. The individual sephiroth represent forces in their purest forms. The paths represent lesser forces and serve as a guide as one progressively develops their consciousness.
So, it's like a map of a journey that our consciousness takes?

Toad
August 14th, 2003, 10:59 AM
So, it's like a map of a journey that our consciousness takes?

Perhaps...I personally believe it to be a map of the all...and our consciousness should visit the different destinations along the path of our spiritual growth. Or rather that I feel that it would be ideal for our consciousness to be familiar with all aspects of the forces that are depicted by the tree. I personally believe this is the task of the ceremonial magician...or perhaps it’s a personal task...frankly I am hesitant to say that the journey should be attempted by ALL people.

Some folks don’t need to worry about this journey...these are the folks you run into in life and they are absolutely grounded, perfectly centered, happy, content. Maybe they paint houses for a living or run a major company...their place in life is unimportant...but their being is different than most folks. These individuals are innately familiar with their true will and follow it. These people are rare in my experience.

The majority of folks I think would be advised to undertake a journey like this. Rather it’s through ceremonialism, psychotherapy, religion or whatever other means suits them – there are many ways to accomplish the same goal. I think that most of us have something to learn something that we need to accomplish and frankly I think that most people don’t even realize why they are unhappy.

There are yet another group of people that are not suited for a journey of this type. They are so conditioned into certain patterns that it’s unlikely they will ever rise out of the maze (I tend to think of these people as living like rats in a maze looking for the piece of cheese at the end of the maze). I really feel sorry for these people. They have been mistreated to such an extreme that they cant rise about the menial BS that is day to day survival to see the bigger picture.

The tree is one tool, one diagram that graphically represents the forces that make up the universe. A person that intimately understands each of the forces and its interrelationships is truly an enlightened individual. I personally have chosen to use the tree as a tool to help me on my spiritual journey. As I expand my consciousness I will become more familiar with the different forces that make up the tree. Will I ever finish? Perhaps…perhaps not. The journey is the important thing. =)

mol
August 14th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Where is that thumbs up smiley? That was a wonderful post, Toad! Personally insightful and I am sure eyeopening on several levels to many people who will read it.

Aequitas
August 15th, 2003, 12:52 PM

I'm probably a day late and a dollar short on this, but about the pillars: They dont have to be made out of stone or plaster or whatever. :lol: In fact, I dont know anyone who has ever done that with their temple. We just use the cloth pillars, hung from the ceiling. Hermeticka.com sells a pair (shown below), but they can be made easily enough if you dont want to deal with Hermeticka's extravagent prices. Just wanted to throw that out there before anyone went out and hired a mason.

In LVX/NOX,
Æ.·. 93 93/93

http://www.hermeticka.com/images/TemplePillars.gif

Toad
August 15th, 2003, 01:31 PM

I'm probably a day late and a dollar short on this, but about the pillars: They dont have to be made out of stone or plaster or whatever. :lol: In fact, I dont know anyone who has ever done that with their temple. We just use the cloth pillars, hung from the ceiling. Hermeticka.com sells a pair (shown below), but they can be made easily enough if you dont want to deal with Hermeticka's extravagent prices. Just wanted to throw that out there before anyone went out and hired a mason.

In LVX/NOX,
Æ.·. 93 93/93

http://www.hermeticka.com/images/TemplePillars.gif

Thats a great idea Aequitas. I could make those pretty easy.

Another option that I looked at were pre-fab fiberglass columns. They make several flavors of these things...from load bearing to decorative. You can order a pair of these out of hollow fiberglass for about $40 ea. Apply some white and black marblized paint to each respectivly you would have a pair of columns that 'looked' like you had called the stone mason.

mol
August 15th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Thats a great idea Aequitas. I could make those pretty easy.

Another option that I looked at were pre-fab fiberglass columns. They make several flavors of these things...from load bearing to decorative. You can order a pair of these out of hollow fiberglass for about $40 ea. Apply some white and black marblized paint to each respectivly you would have a pair of columns that 'looked' like you had called the stone mason.
You can get plaster pillars from Garden Ridge pretty damn cheap, too.

Xentor
August 15th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Mrs. Ashcroft-Nowicki suggest making the pillars out of cardboard, and not making them too heavy. They seem to be carried around a lot.

I was thinking of buying table legs, you know, the metal ones with screw plates to attach them to the table, one with black finish and the other either silver or white. You turn them upside-down, and use the screw plate to attach them to a wooden base, or if the floor is sufficiently flat, just let them rest on their plates.

Aequitas
August 18th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Mrs. Ashcroft-Nowicki suggest making the pillars out of cardboard, and not making them too heavy. They seem to be carried around a lot.

I was thinking of buying table legs, you know, the metal ones with screw plates to attach them to the table, one with black finish and the other either silver or white. You turn them upside-down, and use the screw plate to attach them to a wooden base, or if the floor is sufficiently flat, just let them rest on their plates.
Personally, I need the pillars to be eye level, and in my peripheral vision. But, I certainly dont expect what works for me to work for anyone else. You'll need to let us know what you come up with after you experiment for a while. :D

In LVX/NOX,
Æ.·. 93 93/93

shiloki
August 20th, 2003, 01:00 AM
LMAO.

:)

Toad. Why...did...time....cease...to...exist?

i'd like to touch back on this....i have experienced this in only the most mundane simplistic form...i am entirely unathletic/coordinated, but when it seemed to really count or matter or i just thought "i'm gonna catch it/grab it/stop it/make it" my perception of time and, perhaps, time itself, altered enough to allow me to do so....poor example and not at all on toad's level, but similar, in my mind, none the less....this is why i think time alters in this way...because you/we/i cause it to do so....it's not just a result of something or a step on your way to something else...it *is* the something....when i convinced my mind enough that i was going to spike the volleyball to save myself the ultimate humiliation of getting smacked in the face....i, literally, altered the "time" around me enough to accomplish that goal....it is extremely unlikely a person such as myself would actually be able to spike a volleyball in real time...however, i have spiked one....just not in real time...i "created" my own time to allow myself to accomplish whatever task i seriously needed to do......i just wish i could remember how i did it so i could do it all the time!!!!

anyway....just a thought.....

oh...and by the way....i've actually take my first step to making my temple cloth.....i bought some muslin! heh heh heh....*ahem*.....

Toad
August 20th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Well we are approaching the end of Month 2 and I wanted to make sure to include the rest of the exercises that I have been working on.

As you can tell by this thread…discovering Poke Runyon’s book really threw me for a loop. This book and the follow up work has lead me to draw the conclusion that the traditional ‘symbolic meditation’ approach that I now associate with Golden Dawn teachings, and our author, is an incomplete approach to Ceremonial Magic. Studying Poke’s writing I am convinced that self hypnosis is a much more modern and highly functional means of achieving many of the goals that our author is gearing us up to undertake with symbolic meditation. I don’t want to discount symbolic meditation…I still think it has its place and is a very valuable skill to develop…however the now obvious and glaring oversight of self hypnosis has caused me to alter my training.

In post 40 I talked about the Samdhi lamp and included some preliminary reports of early experiences. I would like to take a paragraph or two to share some of my latest ‘findings’ with my experimentation with self hypnosis.

In month one we worked on a ‘Self Purgation’ exercise. The exercise was clearly a means to establishing a solid grounded starting point and to blow those skeletons out of our closets. While this exercise was good…I personally feel that its means was insufficient (at least in my particular case). It helped to identify and clear a lot of minor issues…but I have to admit to still carrying around several more deeply seated issues (don’t worry I will spare you the boring details).

Poke recommended a book called ‘Self Hypnosis’ by Leslie LeCron in his book as a good basic instruction in self hypnosis. After reading this book I found the subtle genius in Poke’s writing. LeCron is a clinical psychologist and hypnothearpist…and ‘Self Hypnosis’ covers the how-to of self hypnosis and a fairly rich methodology to self analyze yourself to overcome minor issues, identify major issues as well as a fairly rich selection of actual case examples to assist you on your path. Now there are a ton of books about hypnosis out there…but this particular one fits so very nicely into what a Magician needs…especially when it comes to a Self Purgation exercise…its truly uncanny.

Using the LeCron techniques of pendulum (for questioning the subconscious), automatic writing and of course self hypnosis I have completed ‘Self Purgation 2.0’. I feel that I have a much more in depth understanding of myself and my particular issues that I every thought possible. It was tuff work but well worth the effort.

In all seriousness…I know many of you read through this thread…I would encourage EVERYONE to look into LeCron’s book. It is truly a fantastic book and has been instrumental in my progress. I think his techniques would be helpful to any practitioner of magic.

Now in addition to this process I have also been using self hypnosis for other things. =) Using Hypnosis and auto-suggestion I have done self induced age regressions. These are truly awesome…its like seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, and touching a memory in exacting detail…but at the same time being fully aware of your actual surroundings. This is an extremely powerful tool. I have also used self hypnosis as anesthetic. I recently visited the dentist for some minor dental work…and did not have nitrous, Novocain or any other drugs. I simply used self hypnosis to block the pain. I even turned my dentist on to self hypnosis after he witnessed me block the pain from my procedure.

My tratakam abilities are progressing very well. I can do 2 to 3 minutes without blinking. I have made a simple black mirror and done some scrying experiments using tratakam and the results have been…well…eye opening. As soon as I finish deciphering some of these sessions I will post them out here.

Another book that Poke recommended is Franz Bardon’s ‘Initiation into Hermetics’ . I personally feel that this book is worth its price simply for the explanation of the elements. Very clear, concise and comprehensive and still easy to understand. I am also using many of the practical exercises as a supplement to Norwicki’s exercises which I just seem to devoir. Its my thought that any serious Magician should make this book required reading. I can go into the practical exercises if there is interest.

In addition to this work…I have read quite a bit about Chaos Magic. It was suggested to me that I look into it by a good friend and while I find in fascinating, and fully intend to explore it, I think at this point I needed to understand the basics to keep from causing problems. Through some of my hypnotic work, I KNOW that I performed at least two different operations using Chaos Magic in my teens and I honestly didn’t know what I was doing. I think that I needed to understand some basics so that I did screw myself up inadvertently with some of the new skills I am developing.

OK…that’s a lot of information for now. =)

Hippywitch
August 22nd, 2003, 03:02 PM
Wow! There's so much to take in... I'm still catching up on month one here...Purging...Meditating...still trying to work out where to put the ceremonial space...
Think I'd better stick to that for another week or two before trying month 2 stuff. Will continue reading posts as they happen though because there is some fascinating stuff going on here.
Thanks again Mol and Toad for setting these threads in motion.