PDA

View Full Version : The Ant Colony on My Property

jcldragon
July 26th, 2003, 10:42 PM
There is a large colony of tiny ants on my property. I know exactly where they go down to their subteranean city. Today I got curious about where their long trails go. I followed on down along my driveway to the front. There they turn along the street & walk all the way across the front of my neighbor's place, but they don't stop there.

They continue onto the next property, and finally go up a pine tree where I assume they are gathering pine sap for the sugar in it. The whole trail is about 100 feet to the base of that tree... They have three other trails & I'll check those out tomorrow.

When I water my yard, I try to avoid the places that they use. It took awhile, but I finally figured out a way of doing it that didn't flood their city, so that they'd have to carry eggs out to prevent them from getting spoiled. Getting my cars in & out of the garage is another problem, because they have trails running across the driveway. However, during the hotest part of the day, they take a siesta, so often I can time doing errands when they aren't using the driveway.... And of course they aren't working early in the morning or late at night.

I pick up vibes from the colony. They know I am trying to accomodate them. I have been assured that they expect to lose some ants to various accidents as a part of living, and do not lay any blame on me. I have gotten the distinct impression that the ant colony is aware of reincarnation...

~*Ginger*~
July 26th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Hey that's cool!

We have these great big black ants that live in the house with us...
I'm not sure what type they are, we always called them 'River Ants' cause we use to see them on Pa-pa's houseboat at the river.

They don't bother us, they'll walk all over you and not bite.
My 3 yr old played with them for awhile, till she realized because of them biting if she squeezed them.

They wander all over the place.
Some of them are like this long. >> (------)

jcldragon
July 26th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Carpenter ants can get to be one inch long. If these are carpenter ants, you have a problem, because they eat wood...

However, if they are just big black ants, you can make some accomodations with them. I estimate that an ant colony have a collective intelligence equivalent to that of an average human being. Now while that isn't very smart, it is smart enough for some communication. An ant colony will respond to psychic impressions steadily directed towards them. Of course, the colony will consider its objectives as being more important than yours. However, an ant colony is capable of getting the idea that they can only get what they want, if you get what you want.

Most people believe that the ant (or bee) colony is ruled by the Queen. This is not true. Certainly they do love their Mother, but they are worker dominated societies. Decisions are made by a general consensis of the society. When the Queen becomes old or weak, or when a colony has grown to an enormous size, the workers will select a regular egg, and give it special attention, so that that egg will develop into a new Queen.

There is a species of ant in Europe who have taken this even further. Usually the genetic scent of an ant tells other ants whether it is from the same colony or not. Ants of foriegn colonies will be killed, and ants of the same species, but from different colonies will engage in warfare, (just like that pre-intelligent species, known as people). Now this species of ant in Europe has developed a different strategy. The workers of this one species all have such a similar genetic scent, that they all recognize each other as being members of their own European Union. Thus this colony lives in Italy, France, & Spain, and it is spreading. Scientists studying this super-colony have taken workers from Italy, and placed them in Spain. The displaced workers simply moved in with their new local branch, and got along fine.

BTW, has anyone here seen the Science-Fiction movie, "Phase 4"? hehehe

WillowSageheart
July 26th, 2003, 11:48 PM
All I can say is ICK! Pretty much all the ants down here bite... and not only do they bite, their bite produces allergic reactions and infection. If I find an ant pile... they are dead as quickly as I can make it happen.

Old Witch
July 27th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Tell me about it.....What with red ants and Fire ants that can kill you........Around here the only good ant is a dead ant.....well except for Sugar ants......the eencie weencie ones that can annoy the crap out of you................

~*Ginger*~
July 27th, 2003, 12:09 PM
jcldragon, i went in search of pics of the black ants that live here...
The pics of the carpenter ants, really don't look like these.
These are solid black, no different colors to them.
I'm sure they either live somewhere in the house, or have a bed under the house.

They do follow a pattern of not being a great number on thier trails at one time, and they are active all the time.

Sometimes i leave fruit or small pieces of meat in the sink over night. And they always go for it.

This house was built in the 1940's so it's pretty old.

When i first moved in there were roaches, they were awful, i tried everything to get rid of them, finally getting the floor under the sink replaced and leaks fixed up.

The roaches finally were all taken care of by some really beautiful light green frogs who came to live with me for awhile...

Pesha
July 27th, 2003, 12:46 PM
I saw a group of ants canabalising a living catapiller once. I found that to be totally disgusting and cannot abide ants in my house or on my property. I get the sick shivers just thinking about that incident.

BB
D'S...also known as...

LadyOak
July 27th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Black Ant (http://www.npta.org.uk/black_ant.htm)
Black Ant2 (http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1996/5-10-1996/carpants.html)
Black Ants3 (http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest/Nebline/bigblackants.htm)
According to the second and third link Black Ants are a variety of Carpenter Ants(?)
Here in FL we have the Black/Brown ones here.

jcldragon
July 28th, 2003, 01:52 AM
on Today at 11:03pm, rev arewynn wrote:
i have yet to meet a friendly fire ant

When I was hitch-hiking across the country in 1975, I was stuck on a lonely country road where I was certain to not get a ride after dark. Either their was cloud cover or a new moon, because as soon as the sun whent down it was really dark. So I walked off the road a bit, spotted a bare patch of ground, unrolled my sleeping bag, got in it & went to sleep. Some time later, I was awakened by lots of little bites.

I got out of that sleeping bag real fast. I brushed off the ants who were biting me, and shook them out of my sleeping bag. Then I moved away to another spot about ten feet away, and went back to sleep. In the morning I saw quite clearly that in the dark, I had put my sleeping bag directly over a three foot wide red ant hill...

Old Witch
July 28th, 2003, 09:31 AM
If it had been a fire ant bed, you would have woke up dead..............

~*Ginger*~
July 28th, 2003, 01:37 PM
bare patch of ground :rollingla
I'm sorry you were bit, but...
really! :rollingla
They clip and keep their area patroled very well....

I'm sorry, I just find that terribly funny! :rollingla

Glad you woke up alive!!!

materra
August 2nd, 2003, 12:20 PM
I have had ONE fireant bite... and I can still tell you exactly where it was. And that was two years ago... it hurt soooo bad. I also had to see the doctor and take antihistamines and other stuff for quite a while afterwards. If it was a fireant colony you were damned lucky, but more than likely it was a red ant colony and you were still really lucky.

jcldragon
August 2nd, 2003, 12:37 PM
As a New Ager, I go by the Gaia theory, and make a point of acknowledging everything as being a fellow creature, and therefore entitled to all the same rights as myself. That's why things will often give me a break, whereas other people will really be in for it.