PDA

View Full Version : Requiem for a Dream

Fire_Crotch132074
August 1st, 2003, 03:52 PM
Has anybody seen the movie Requiem for a Dream? I saw it a couple of days ago at my friends house. Its really good. The movie is about peoples addictions to things like drugs off the streets and peoples addictions to things that seem as harmless as weightloss diet pills (its pretty sad what happens to the mom). Well I was just curious what people thought about the movie if you've seen it.

Hope
August 1st, 2003, 04:00 PM
It wasn't what I thought it would be at all.

I found it shocking and disturbing.

Some of it was like ---- no I can't look and it made my heart ache

love hope

Radocs
August 1st, 2003, 10:52 PM
I saw it. I thought it was okay.... certainly not one of my favorites. I know a lot of people who absolutely loved it though.

Drisel
August 1st, 2003, 11:24 PM
watched it kind of....
I tried really hard to watch it and take in what was going on but I found the story line starting to stumble halfway through the movie. I seem to remember that was about the point I started to fall asleep.

SylverStar
August 2nd, 2003, 07:56 PM
I haven't seen it yet. Don't know if I will. All my friends have seen it and never feel up to watching it.

mol
August 2nd, 2003, 09:27 PM
Kind of weird.

Flar's Freyja
August 2nd, 2003, 11:21 PM
Loved it. It may appeal more to those with certain backgrounds. Mine is in psychology and social work, so I deal with things like this in my profession, as well as coming from a long line of addicts :eyebro: It may be very disturbing to those who have never had to deal with this or to those who do and are in denial.

It's very deep and one of those movies you'd have to be in the mood for. The parallels in the lives of the mother and son are so different yet exactly the same. This movie is one of those sleepers that I believe will be recognized as great art in time.

punkymister
August 3rd, 2003, 07:45 PM
I absolutely adored this film - the plot, acting (BIG Ellen Burstyn fan) and overall filmmaking impressed me.

Yes, it's a deep film and does require a unique taste or certain mood to watch - but I'd highly recommend it.

Two thumbs up ;)

SimplyStrange
August 3rd, 2003, 11:45 PM
I love this movie.

And I, too, am a big Ellen Burstyn fan. :D

I agree that it is a deep film that requires a specific taste. Not all movies are for everyone. :)

Flar's Freyja
August 4th, 2003, 12:15 AM
I love this movie.

And I, too, am a big Ellen Burstyn fan. :D

I agree that it is a deep film that requires a specific taste. Not all movies are for everyone. :)

Have you ever seen Resurrection with Ellen Burstyn? Another awesome movie. I admire her versatility as an actress. The contrast between her roles in Requiem and Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (among many others) is incredible, and she can do comedy and drama equally well. I'll watch anything with her in it!

Mnemosyne
August 13th, 2003, 07:22 PM
I think that art is suppose to move the emotions. This film definitely changes one mood after viewing it. I recall entering the cinema a few years ago in a jovial mood. When I left the theater after seeing this film, I was completely speechless. Some of the images on the screen were so disturbing that I felt numb at the end of the film. If you have a strong stomach, I completely recommend it.

Theres
August 13th, 2003, 07:59 PM
i thought it was really good, although very disturbing. i kept looking over my shoulder at the refridgerator for weeks after seeing that film!

but i actually preferred Aronofsky's movie Pi alot more. anyone seen that?

Brenners
August 29th, 2003, 04:45 PM
I saw it, loved the artistry and not neccesarily the subject matter. Well I mean, my bio father who I don't speak to, has a drug problem, so maybe it just hit too close to home. I won't even touch the movie Traffic with a ten foot pole.

mol
August 29th, 2003, 05:13 PM
i thought it was really good, although very disturbing. i kept looking over my shoulder at the refridgerator for weeks after seeing that film!

but i actually preferred Aronofsky's movie Pi alot more. anyone seen that?
Pi was a great flic.

Brenners
August 29th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Saw Pi too, loved it, reminded me of a Reznor vid.

Tranquility
August 29th, 2003, 09:09 PM
That movie was SO disturing, that i had to see it 2 more times, it may seem very wierd, but something about it really makes me see it again, i don't do drugs and don't deny that it isn't disturbing but ... the same happened with a clockwork orange.. that was TRULY wierd..

Brenners
August 29th, 2003, 09:28 PM
That movie was SO disturing, that i had to see it 2 more times, it may seem very wierd, but something about it really makes me see it again, i don't do drugs and don't deny that it isn't disturbing but ... the same happened with a clockwork orange.. that was TRULY wierd..

What about Donnie Darko? God I love that movie! It's pure genius, uh huh!

:fpraiseyo

SylverStar
August 30th, 2003, 05:54 AM
I haven't seen Donnie Darko but my Roomie said I should watch it "it's my kind of film" whatever that means.