PDA

View Full Version : my oldest cat has lost her hearing...

Lucidia
August 3rd, 2003, 02:23 PM
we confirmed it this morning, she's deaf. I'd been telling my boyfriend and my father for months now... but now we know. Anyone else had a pet who lost their hearing? i am unsure how to make life easier for her, as i know it must be difficult sometimes, although it's been a while so i think she's adjusted already somewhat.

my poor baby... and she's got arthritis too.....

Danustouch
August 3rd, 2003, 02:33 PM
awwwwwwww..(((((((((((Lucidia))))))))))) what is her name?

I'm so sorry to hear that. I really don't have any suggestions. If it's any consolation, cat's have so many added senses, that I think for the most part, she'll be okay. However, maybe when you approach her now that you know for sure, you can try to do so from a "front" approach, and slowly, as not to surprise her and startle her. You may also want to try to keep her away from the other kitties a little, as they obviosly have an advantage now..and cats can be kinda ruthless to another cat in a weakened state. Other than that..I really don't know... just give her as much attention as possible, I suppose. Wish I knew something more to tell you :( As for the arthritis, just try to keep her as warm as possible. Keep her away from the AC...make her up a bed full of soft warm blankets. Make sure she doesn't have to Jump Up to get the things that she wants, etc. Again..I wish I had some more advice. I know that there are painkillers you can get for her, if that becomes a problem :(

Old Witch
August 3rd, 2003, 03:32 PM
Awww....poor little thing......

Lucidia
August 3rd, 2003, 05:36 PM
her name is Angel. she's doing okay, i've been suspicious as to her losing her hearing for about 6 months now, cause she stopped responding when i'd call her. We dont' have a/c, so it's pretty warm in here anyway.. and during the winter she will probably either sleep by the radiator (the cats usually do that anyway), or she can stay in bed with us, maybe i'll even make a special bed for her with a hot water bottle under her blanket. she just seems a bit stiff in the legs is all..

but as for the other cats, she's a meanie, and always fights with them, so that's not gonna end ever i think. they get along to a certain degree but Angel thinks it's HER house, even if she's been with the other cats all these years. silly territorialness!

she is sitting on my lap now... i feel bad cause i have to go out... i dont' want to move her!