PDA

View Full Version : My fishy commited suicide

Lady Tana
August 3rd, 2003, 10:04 PM
My biggest fishy.. Phil.. jumped out of our tank sometime yesterday while we were gone..
im not sure how exactly he did it but when we got home he was laying in the floor and the top of the glass was all messed up.. :(
ive had that little bugger for almost 2 years now.. and ill miss him alot.. Lil (his 'girlfriend fish') misses him too.. she is just moping around the bottom of the tank.
i couldnt bury him because the neighborhood cats would dig him back up and he was too big to flush.. so i am going to make a little memorial to him out back...

In this picture Phil is the one up top.. (sorry its so blurry.. they didnt like having their pictures taken)

Hope
August 3rd, 2003, 10:14 PM
sorry for your loss

love
hope

Flar's Freyja
August 4th, 2003, 12:41 AM
My condolences also. When I was around 10, we were moving and my mother thought she could hold George's fishbowl on her lap in the car. When we got to the new house, we couldn't find George and thought he'd jumped out of the bowl. The next day, my mother went to clean out the bowl and when she picked up his little castle, he fell out. He swam around for three days and then died - and then I cried for a week :wah:

While you may not be able to bury him in your backyard, have you thought about burying him in a houseplant? You could get a special one just for him. His body will be good food for the soil and you'll have a memorial that you can look at and care for on a regular basis.

Fairywolf
August 4th, 2003, 12:55 AM
I am sorry for your loss but Freyja has a good idea. I had never thought of that before. May be if something happens to one of my fishys ( which they will live forever) thats what I will do.

MoonRaven
August 4th, 2003, 01:01 AM
The same thing happened to me, but it was with one of my Danios, and he jumped out the back of the tank, and behind my dresser. Unfortunately, I couldn't do anything about it. I couldn't even get back to clean up the body until I moved, like two years later. All I could do was pour baking soda on top to keep the smell away.

Our problem right now is that one of our fish WON'T die, and we want to clean up and put the tank away for now, because we just don't have room for it. We've overheated, underheated, overfed, underfed, and so on, and he won't die. I know it sounds cruel, but I don't know what to do with him. I don't want to just flush him, that's cruel. We're just waiting (he's 4 years old now).

Flar's Freyja
August 11th, 2003, 01:49 PM
The same thing happened to me, but it was with one of my Danios, and he jumped out the back of the tank, and behind my dresser. Unfortunately, I couldn't do anything about it. I couldn't even get back to clean up the body until I moved, like two years later. All I could do was pour baking soda on top to keep the smell away.

Our problem right now is that one of our fish WON'T die, and we want to clean up and put the tank away for now, because we just don't have room for it. We've overheated, underheated, overfed, underfed, and so on, and he won't die. I know it sounds cruel, but I don't know what to do with him. I don't want to just flush him, that's cruel. We're just waiting (he's 4 years old now).

Do you have a local zoo with an aquarium? You might check to see if they'd take him as a donation.

My son has a pond fish in one of those outdoor ponds from Wal-Mart. I thought it had died and didn't feed it or run the pump to circulate the water for the entire two weeks he was on Guard duty. He came back and said, "You know, there's a fish in there......" It apparently can live off plants, because it was still alive and well!

Rae ShadowWolf
August 11th, 2003, 02:35 PM
My condolences on little Phil. I know that over the years with the fish I've had, they have all died horrible deaths. My first Beta was placed atop the T.V. in the kitchen. We would move him when we turned it on. My sister turned it on and didn't move the fish, found him later, belly up. Pour fish fried. The other Beta I had, died because my Papa forgot to take him with us when we moved. He died of starvation. Ack, I have bad luck with the fishes!

Aspasia Sariel
August 12th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Awww poor Phil. I'm sorry.

It was a nicer way to go than this poor little algae eater that I had I called "little suck suck". Woke up one morning to find the Bala Sharks (which are supposed to be great community fish) pecking Little Suck Suck to pieces! I cried all day. Hubby picked up one of those ugly black ones but he's really big so no one messes with him...my son calls him "Stupid Fish". Some fish, from what I've read, are notoriously sneaky jumpers. I've never seen my Rainbow fish jump but the Bala's have jumped a few inches right over the tank, if I've let the cover even slightly open. From what I've learned a really secure top is a must...but I'm still learning and this is our first tank setup.

Old Witch
August 12th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Last night I was cleaning the Betta (Bobby Red) and as I was putting him back in his bowl, he decided to jump out of his net......luckily I was cleaning him on the dining room table, but I had a terrible time picking him up....He's fine today....

Kimberlily
August 14th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Sorry about Phil :( I have never had that happen to me, but it must be awful for you!

We had to euthanize one of our fish a couple of months ago. He was killing everything else in the tank, and nobody wanted him. We even tried taking him to the aquarium, and the store we bought him from, and they wouldn't take him. Anyway, I read that if you put the fish in a baggie of water in the freezer, it is a kinder way to euthanize a fish. They get cold, get hypothermia, fall asleep and die. I felt really bad, but my other fish are all happy now.

JeweledNight
August 14th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Aww!! Poor little Phil!! I am so sorry :(

Creating a houseplant memorial is a GREAT idea! In fact, I think I will do that when my betta, Akira, dies.

We have a 20-gallon aquarium in our living room and our algae sucking fish (whatever the heck they're called!) decided to jump out last year. We're not sure how long he had been on the carpet, but when Dad found him, he was already drying up. Amazingly, though, Dad put him back in the aquarium and he survived! He swam a little crooked for a few minutes, but he's still here and as active as ever!

Fish sure are funny little pets!

greenwitch
August 14th, 2003, 04:30 PM
I'm really really sorry about little Phil. I've had some suicidal fishies too. George, he swam straight into the filter and died, we saw him floating above the bottom of the tank, apparently he was too fat to float to the surface.... and then there was Fred, he did the same thing soon afterwards it was very upsetting. We flushed them afterwards... I cried.

Oh and then there's my Sea Monkey's stage, I had one lil tank of water for them. You know how you can buy the packages of them, where you just add water to the the little powder of sea monkey's and in a few days they come to life? yeah well mine worked a little too well. My sea Monkey's were very fond of spring, and breading season.... but somehow they made me think that "breading season" lasted year round. They also got flushed, as the tank became over populated to the max... I dont have much luck with the Under The Sea World either....

~ Monk ~
August 15th, 2003, 11:48 AM
I'm sorry about Phil, LT. :( It seems like every fish owner encounters this at one time or another...

WynterWynd
August 16th, 2003, 02:45 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Phil! I had TinFoil Barbs at one time the would try to jump out of the tank.

I think the plant memorial sounds like a great idea for a fish funeral.

WtchyChick13
August 18th, 2003, 01:10 AM
LT sorry about Phil. :(

When I got my first apt. (many, many years ago) I never intended to have any pets until I won 3 fish at the San Genaro festival in NYC.

I appropriately named them: Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail. :)

Anywhoo, they were doing great and I was happy to have someone to come home to.

About a week later, I was fixing dinner and heard a "sploosh, sploosh" sound. Frankly I thought I was going insane. (No comment from the peanut gallery please. :lol: )

Then I heard it again..."sploosh, sploosh".

So I went in and looked right at the tank and said out loud, "ok, you do that while I'm watching!"

Just then, one of the fish jumped out of the bowl twice!

So I thought, well maybe the bowl is too small or something. So while I was getting another one ready (and I don't remember the reason I did this now) but I had poured them and the water into a pot and sat it on the kitchen floor. I figured, if they jumped out, I could get them easier this way.

For the hell of it, I sat down with the pot in from of me and put my face over it. I told them, "ok guys, with me right here, prove to me that you really did this ok?"

With that, one jumped up, kissed my nose and went back in the pot!!! :lol:

I transferred them to something a little larger but over the next couple of days, I lost all three. I had nothing to cover them with that would breathe and I was at the time, working 4 jobs so I was out of the house mostly. :(

They were so great. They honestly had personalities, all three of them!

For years I've told this story and no one believed that my fish commited suicide. (Well except my mother. :lol: )

I'm so sorry about Phil. But maybe he's with my little guys now! :)

:smooch:

::Mystik::
August 31st, 2003, 10:16 PM

:RuNew:

What we did -- well it wasn't cause we couldn't keep him, it was cause he was a goldfish that decided to turn into a carp, and he was HUGE -- is we took him out and let him go at the lake. Maybe he was eaten, maybe he had a little fishy family, but he probably wasn't fished out, since he wasn't edible (yeucch, carp, heh. giant goldfish) but it's the thought that counts, I suppose. Maybe you could see if a friend wants him? Or yeah, give him to an aquarium. Whatever, and good luck!

:fishsmack

moonmorgan
September 2nd, 2003, 12:10 PM
I'm so sorry. :(

I wonder why fish do that.

Old Witch
September 3rd, 2003, 01:12 PM
Last night I was cleaning the Betta (Bobby Red) and as I was putting him back in his bowl, he decided to jump out of his net......luckily I was cleaning him on the dining room table, but I had a terrible time picking him up....He's fine today....

Well, I just cleaned Bobby Redd again, but this time he didn't try to commit pisceside..........(sp)?