PDA

View Full Version : What age??

mol
February 12th, 2001, 03:53 PM
I have a question that regards my (almost) 5 year old son. When is a good time to start introducing him to the Craft. I am still undecided at this point.

Kaylara
February 13th, 2001, 09:48 AM
I think that they should be taught as soon as you think that they can understand. My six year old brother doesn't have a real concept of the divine, but he does has a love of nature, so I focus on that with him. My eleven year old brother confided in me last night that he was very interested in paganism, and Wicca in particular. So I told him to write down his ethics, ten good things you should do in life, and ten bad things you shouldn't. This way, I can see where he is coming from.

I guess that it really depends on the child, and at what stage of development you as a parent decide is a good time to teach them. But, if you do decide to teach your son, make it fun for him, and don't force him to do anything that he doesn't want to.

Blessed Be!
Kaylara

Twig
February 13th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Wow,I love this. Not having any children,I want to thank y'all for giving me insight to a problem that I couldn't even THINK to comment on before. Now I know where to send people. :)
The more I live,the more I learn.
Peace,
Twig

Rosabelle
February 13th, 2001, 12:22 PM
i think it is easier not to 'introduce' them but just to gradually bring him in. i think it is easier to understand if you grow up with it (like i did coz my sister is pagan). but i'm only 14 so you dont have to take my advise if you dont want to :) i wont mind ;)
Rosabelle

Semele
February 13th, 2001, 11:28 PM
Rosabelle,
You are wiser than you think my friend. You have a very old soul and a sweet kindness uncommon for your age group. I love you!!
Semele

Mariposa De La Luna
February 14th, 2001, 02:54 PM
My girl is 8 and we are beginning a more serious journey into Paganism. We have always lived with Pagan values though. I think if you just start out teaching them some generall things like respecting nature and people, showing them the wonder of nature, compassion, instill a love for reading and discovering new things. That is a good start. There is this new organization starting up called SpiralScouts to give an Earth Based solution to scouting. Its very new and their recent politics on their email list can be a little wierd but the basis of what they are trying to do sounds great. You can find them at http://www.spiralscouts.org. to get any info and the first 2 chapters of their handbook you have to join their yahoo group.

mol
February 15th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by SAHM
My girl is 8 and we are beginning a more serious journey into Paganism. We have always lived with Pagan values though. I think if you just start out teaching them some generall things like respecting nature and people, showing them the wonder of nature, compassion, instill a love for reading and discovering new things. That is a good start. There is this new organization starting up called SpiralScouts to give an Earth Based solution to scouting. Its very new and their recent politics on their email list can be a little wierd but the basis of what they are trying to do sounds great. You can find them at http://www.spiralscouts.org. to get any info and the first 2 chapters of their handbook you have to join their yahoo group.

The link seems to be broken.

mol
February 15th, 2001, 05:07 PM
I did find this though..

http://www.aquatabch.org/spiralscouts/

mol
February 17th, 2001, 12:34 AM
What really did happen to that link... http://spiralscouts.org ? Does anyone know?

folkwitch
February 19th, 2001, 12:39 AM
Small children can easily learn to visualize, especially if it's in connection with pain relief. Teach them to visualize a white healing light entering their body and going to that earache or whatever. It can easily relieve their pain once they get the hang of it. You have to monitor this activity though because the pain could be caused by an infection, etc.

eaglewolf
February 19th, 2001, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by mol
What really did happen to that link... http://spiralscouts.org ? Does anyone know?

In the original post there was a period added to the end of the URL... when you clicked on it as a link, it did not log right.

If that is what you were talking about...

~ew

mol
February 19th, 2001, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by eaglewolf

In the original post there was a period added to the end of the URL... when you clicked on it as a link, it did not log right.

If that is what you were talking about...

~ew

DOH! Hmm..ok..

Im an idiot.

Lilu
February 19th, 2001, 10:19 PM
I don't have any children, but I'm planning already *grin* So I have a lot of ideas on things.

I think that you should start introducing your child into it gradually, and as their interest grows. You could start with nature stuff, work on visualisation, and then build up to a more comprehensive study of Goddess and God etc when they are ready.

Some of the books I've picked up which I think will be really neat for raising children in Goddess paths are:

"Circle Round" - By Starhawk, Diane Baker and Anne Hill
"The Sabbats" - By Edain McCoy
"Pagan Rites of Passage" - Pauline Campanelli
"Celebrating the Great Mother" - Cait Johnson & Maura D. Shaw

Lilu

mol
February 19th, 2001, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Lilu

"Pagan Rites of Passage" - Pauline CampanelliLilu

This is a really good book. i like the way it lays everything out..like Life is a story...

Niamh
February 23rd, 2001, 09:23 PM
I am a new children's Librarian (been a Librarian for awhile, but new to the realm of children's...)
Anyhow, I have to say that there are almost NO books out there on paganism geared toward children. I have tried to find them to add to my library's collection, and the best I could do was entitled "Winter Solstice." It's a great book. I can get you the author later if you like...
Back to the point of the thread...
Many of the pagan parents I've encountered tell me that is seems easiest at holidays to bring children in to ritual, etc. I'm told that there seems to be more going on in thier environment for them to notice and to question and to participate in. After a few holidays they begin to learn the Great Wheel, etc.
Best of luck and Bright Blessings!

Celestite
March 1st, 2001, 07:33 PM
This is a subject we have already been looking into (eventhough our daughter is only 5 months old) We found a particularly good book called

Pagan Parenting by KRISTEN MADDEN

ISBN 1-56718-492-8 LLEWELLYN wORLDWIDE.

We have come to the conclusion that it is the deeds that do the most teaching. So when she sees us picking up litter or taking in stray animals, and asks us why we do it, we can answer, "it's because we are pagan"

Actions will always speak louder than words, especially to children.

We have no plans to introduce paganism as a religion to her at all, we will leave it entirely up to her.

mol
March 3rd, 2001, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Celestite

We have no plans to introduce paganism as a religion to her at all, we will leave it entirely up to her.

And this really is what we want to do as well. Let it be up to them. Just show them what We are. I agree with you and I will check out the book. You might also post something about this book in the Books forum.

Oh, and welcome to the Community!

Angel
March 17th, 2001, 12:59 AM
I think the best way is to just to be openly pagan around him and to talk to him about nature and the Goddess and God. Perhapsyou could include himin ritual or make uplittlepones for him. He may not get complex ideas but he will understand in his own way. Just make paganism a normal thing at home and he will pick it up. When he gets older then you can say tohim "Do yuo think this is right for you?" but for now just include him.

Kaylara
March 18th, 2001, 11:44 PM
I think that when I have kids, they are going to be aware that we are pagan... I am going to raise them in a pagan way, but let them know that they can choose to be what ever they want...

Kaylara

Dextra
March 19th, 2001, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Kaylara
I think that when I have kids, they are going to be aware that we are pagan... I am going to raise them in a pagan way, but let them know that they can choose to be what ever they want...

Kaylara

Exactly. My daughters are only 16 months old, but I've already started to point out little things to them. They always look for the moon when we are out at night, and they wave at her! I sing little chants to them and they clap their hands. Anything I can point out to them in nature, I do it.

It may just be me, but I notice little things they do that amaze me. I've seen them carry on conversations with thin air (faeries, I believe). They seem to be able to communicate in a telepathic sense, as they always seem to follow each other in everthing they do. Of course, they have their own little "twin language" that only they can understand. I figure it's Vietnamese. Why Vietnamese? Because I don't know anyone else that knows what those two are talking about!:D

But I think children are born with the abilities and knowledge that most of us strive to learn in our lifetimes.

I have a theory. Children are born with all the knowledge in the world. But in the first two years that they are learning to walk, talk, eat, etc., all that knowledge gets pushed back into the subconscious. Is it any wonder that when people discover paganism later in life that they feel such a connection? That you often hear new pagans say that they feel like this is what they've been looking for all their lives? I even heard one person say that it was as if they were learning something they had always known, but just couldn't remember.

Now THERE'S something to make you wonder, eh?

MoonWolf
March 26th, 2001, 04:43 AM
Well.. my daughter is nearly a year old (her birthday is coming up quick on the 7th of April) and I do small things. I point out natural things to her, and she notices many on her own. She once was fussing when we were out walking and then caught site of a robin with a worm in it's mouth and was totally fascinated. she has always had a natural love for the outdoors. When she was an infant she enjoyed long walks at night (since it was summer and it was cooler at night) and even particularly liked sitting on the porch on a nice sunny day. During the winter I used a hiking baby back pack to tote her around in on short wintery walks, but as soon as the streets became dry we broke out the stroller again. she is at the point now where she will do her best to get outside. If there is any chance that the door is parcially left open she will make a mad dash for it, or attempt to squirm out the door when someone is leaving... we really have to watch her!! She has a great love for birds and dogs (one of the few words she can say is "dog".. sounds more like dahg.. but we get the idea when we see where her concentration is focused when she is speaking it).

I am also singing her a song that I improvised from a song someone I know made up (I changed a great deal of it to make it easier for me to remember and more to my taste and added a line) to teach her about the phases of the moon. She will also be my little helper when it comes to gardening. THe method I am using is how any parent teaches a child something.. point to the object and say it's name (well with the herbs that will include what they are used for). If it is a daily ritual the information will get implanted in the memory. There are hereditary streghas that I know who had grandmothers teach them in this manner when they were very small and say that it is a good idea. I do include saying things like mommy loves you, daddy loves you, the goddess loves you and the god loves you etc etc. Making up little songs and stories off the top of your head will capture a child's attention as well.

I know this may be silly but the one song that i have sang to my daughter since she was born was the one song from disney's Pocahontas... colors of the wind. I love the words to that, always have and feel that they have a great deal of meaning to them.. and a good song about nature for a pagan child :)

I also write stories for my daughter. I have one written right before she was born and fully illustrated. I submited it for publication. It was called the Threefold Rule and was a story that i had written when I was in highschool and I wrote it for the fable section of my childrens literature class. Unfortunately I was written back to several months later and told that they were understaffed and to try again the next summer or with another company. I do have many other stories in the works in my mind and am thinking of going out and buying canvas paper to rework threefold rule and to paint the other stories.

But I do agree that what you teach them when has to correspond to what they will understand at certain ages. for instance a woman i know taught her daughter about Spirits when watching the disney movie Mulan, and about death by watching such things as Tarzan and Lion King (her daughter is 5 if I remember correctly) these are good methods for that age. As the child gets older you can get more complicated with ideas and teachings.

I think that raising a child in the ways is the most rewarding thing I will ever do.

MoonWolf

Amora
March 27th, 2001, 02:24 PM
I have a 4 year old and I try to teach her little things here and there. She does have a great love of outdoors and gardening but does not have a full grasp of what it is yet. I do know instinctively that she will became pagan because she has a deep interest in magick. She is always telling everyone her mommy is magic, then she points to a picture of a witch in her nursery rhyme book and says "see, that's my mommy"!!!! I know in time she will come to love and appreciate the Craft just from watching me.