PDA

View Full Version : Kitten driving me crazy!

Jeleia
August 6th, 2003, 12:45 AM
My roommate has a kitten... and its DRIVING ME NUTS.

She is constantly getting into EVERYTHING! She climbs all over everything, and knocks over anything that gets in her way. She chew on cables and wires, and scratches.

Any advice?

Rae ShadowWolf
August 6th, 2003, 12:52 AM
Yeah, get a small block of wood and keep it out. Eventually they will learn to scratch that, not the furnature.

Don't know about keeping her calm though.

Jeleia
August 6th, 2003, 01:07 AM
Well we have a HUGE scratching post... :)

I guess she likes the chair better....

Toad
August 6th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Any advice?

I hear kittens are pretty good eatin' :smoke:

indigo rain
August 6th, 2003, 02:23 AM
tell her no when she scratches anything other than the scratching post, and as you say no, swat at her, throw something at her (soft, don't hurt her), or something else to startle her, some people use spritz bottles, cats hate water. my kitten learned to only scratch her kitty condo in about a week of me doing this. she's really good about it now.

Danustouch
August 6th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Water bottle works well...also, those cans of compressed air to clean computer stuff with, also works. Startles them. They hate the sound, AND the gust of air.

As for wires, try wiping them down with a bit of soy sauce. Cat's HATE the smell of soysauce. She won't chew on them anymore after that.

Semele
August 6th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Just wait a couple of years and the cat will be so lazy you have to check for breathing!! Definately don't eat it like the neanderthal Toad suggests! They are too tough!!

Jeleia
August 6th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the tips. We've tried telling her no, swating at her, nothing seems to work...

I'll try to water idea. I hope it works.

Ahautenites
August 6th, 2003, 12:27 PM
I was reading something about communicating with cats, and while a large part of me is skeptical about it, the book says that saying no and disciplining the cat isn't the way to go. It says you should instead think a happy image of the cat doing what you want it to do and then guiding it along physically until it does do what you want.

I did try it once on the cats at our house, but it never worked. However, if I looked at Gandalf and thought about him sitting on my lap, purring contentedly, he invariably hopped onto my lap and started purring within a minute and a half.

amathera
August 6th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Just give up. Cats are in charge and always will be.

Flar's Freyja
August 6th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Patience. She'll outgrow it in her first year and that's a long time to wait! The best you can do is to discipline her, sometimes a squirt of water works well, but some cats end up liking this or not caring. Ours respond to handclapping and yelling hey hey hey HEY HEY HEY HEY!!!!You might try distracting her with toys - Groucho can play for hours with his streamers on an elastic string attached to a small pole - but it does require owner interaction. Those cardboard scratching boxes have worked well for us, in fact, they're about the only scratching post our cats have ever used.

Sure-fit has very reasonable prices on slipcovers - you'll probably want them by the time the year is up - or look for some secondhand ones now to save what's left of your furniture. We also hung an old drape that I got at a garage sale on the window that they go after most. It won't be too heartbreaking when it has to come down and be thrown away.

Amethyst Rose
August 6th, 2003, 01:00 PM
A trick that worked for me with my cat, was to put his scratcing post right in the way of the place he prefered to scratch (the corner of the couch). He was then forced to scratch the post instead. We also had a super soaker water gun. :)

Flar's Freyja
August 6th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Double-sided tape worked for a friend of mine. She put it on the area of a chair that the cat was scratching and the cat didnt like her paws sticking to it. When I tried it, it wouldn't stay on the chair so it didn't work. You may need to make sure that it will stick to the fabric.

Jeleia
August 8th, 2003, 01:44 AM
Just give up. Cats are in charge and always will be.

:rolleyes: Your right...

Cev'aq
August 8th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Try attaching a few balloons to the places it scratches... they don't like being scared by popping noises. Heh.