PDA

View Full Version : Artemis

Dria El
June 10th, 2001, 11:05 PM
Artemis

Artemis, Apollos twin, daughter of Leto and Zeus, was also known as Orthia/Orthosia, Limnaia (goddess of marshes), Potamia (river goddess), Munychia (moon goddess), Brauronia, Amarynthia and Leukophyrne. Her double edged axe, representing 2 moons, Labrys, (from the same word as Labyrinth, is a lesbian symbol - Britomaris and Arethusa are among her lovers. Artemis was worshipped by the Amazons (meaning moon-maidens), including Melousa, Velasca and their Queen Hippolyta, daughter of Ares. Callisto (Beautiful One) beloved of Artemis, promised to remain a virgin but Zeus impregnated her in the form of Artemis. Furious Artemis demanded to know who made her pregnant and Callisto replied that Artemis herself had. The wronged Callisto and her son Arcas became the Great and Little Bear constellations revolving around the Pole Star, separated by a star called Draco, the Holy Crocodile. (Ursa Major is also known as the Plough or Big Dipper).

Some congenial modern witchcraft/neo-pagan Wicca female only groups call themselves Dianic and worship the goddess Diana exclusively. Wiccan followers comprise ecologists and feminists, emphasising the sacredness of nature and the coexistence of the sexes, appreciating the symbolism and psychological realities behind the goddesses and gods of antiquity, eschewing Satanism. Other neo-pagan groups have arisen out of early Egyptian, Greek, Nordic and Celtic beliefs.

Artemis84
June 11th, 2001, 10:27 AM
GO ARTEMIS!!! :) Yeah it's my name.... and she's the goddess Artemis and.... nevermind.

Dria El
June 11th, 2001, 09:16 PM
LOL!!! You're too much! 8O 8O 8O

Flar's Freyja
November 22nd, 2003, 12:32 PM
Feast day of St Cecilia, patroness of musicians

About end of the 17th Century it became fashionable to have concerts on St Cecilia's day. Dryden, Addison and Pope all wrote words for performance pieces.

At last divine Cecilia came
Inventress of the vocal frame;
The sweet enthusiast, from her sacred store,
Enlarg'd the former narrow bounds,
And added length to solemn sounds.
Dryden; Ode for St Cecilia's Day

“She is an aspect of the goddess Artemis Calliste, the Lily of Heaven.”

Wilson's Almanac (http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com)

Mnemosyne
November 22nd, 2003, 01:36 PM
Thanks Freyja! I don't understand how St. Cecilia became seen as an aspect of Artemis. I guess I just didn't see how a music saint could become associated with a hunting/moon goddess.

Well, anyway, I tried to do some research on the issue. No answers. :( I did find out that Nov 22-24 are sacred days to Artemis, since the ancients thought that the good hunting this time of year was because of the hunting goddess.

http://www.hermes3.net/nov402.htm

Flar's Freyja
November 23rd, 2003, 01:53 PM
Thanks Freyja! I don't understand how St. Cecilia became seen as an aspect of Artemis. I guess I just didn't see how a music saint could become associated with a hunting/moon goddess.

Well, anyway, I tried to do some research on the issue. No answers. :( I did find out that Nov 22-24 are sacred days to Artemis, since the ancients thought that the good hunting this time of year was because of the hunting goddess.

I subscribe to Wilson's Almanac at my msn address, and the links are somehow connected to my e-mail, so I can't copy them to post them. Sometimes I can figure out the links to his sources, sometimes not. On this one I couldn't.

I'm still amazed at how many saints are actually one and the same with pagan deities!

Mnemosyne
November 23rd, 2003, 02:03 PM
I'm still amazed at how many saints are actually one and the same with pagan deities!

Oooohhh, I know that there are loads of saints. My grandmother always has a saint to pray for whatever the event in her life. lol. Well, I know that to switch people's beliefs from paganism to Christianity, they introduced the idea of the saints. I want to know the god's equivalency with the saints. Do you know of a website that has this info?

Flar's Freyja
November 23rd, 2003, 02:21 PM
I've just run across bits and pieces here and there, but I do know that I've gotten most of these little tidbits from Wilson's Almanac.

They've even prompted me to use those 7 day candles that come in the tall glass with pictures of saints on them. I'm currently searching for one they had with the guardian of children, the same pic I have on my visitation service website. It brought me so much work!

Lamoondove
November 24th, 2003, 10:59 AM

Hello Mnemosyne,, I here i am I found it :)

It is interesting to say the least,, I have enjoyed the link to no end so far you gave me on the other thread ,, I will check out your link here to ,,
I had no clue of her sexual tendiencies yet ,,
To Me she is protector of all Wild Creatures and Devine Huntress, Moon Goddess, and from what i read ,, in link that you gave me,, i read she also protector of young children,,
which i think also adds to my connection with her for verious reasons ,,
Hummmmmmmm her sacred days i seem to be learning more than ever on her ,, feeling more spiritual,, and even having more vivid colorfull dreams,,,, and in them (energy from my finger tip) & ALSO saving young girl,, her huging me and feeling safe with me ,,
wonder if all this is due to My connection with Artemis in some way ??
Seems like Artemis ( i like to call Diana) speaks to me the most ,,
Like we have so much in commen and that we connect on meny different levels,,
That I can relate to her so easy,, feel so emmm closeness with her in so meny ways ,,

Thanks again Mnemosyne for the links ,, Hugsss to you ,,,,, Blessed Bright Day ,, Peace and Love all the way ,,:) Merry Part

Lamoondove
November 24th, 2003, 11:29 AM
~~~~~~~~WOW~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another Great link,, (((((((((Thanks Mnemosyne,)))))))))),,

Dont know how you find these Links,,
but i am following you from thread to thread just loving the links you give us ,,
There is so much info in each one,,,:)
Truly appericated !!!!!!! Blessed Be ,,, Have a Sweet Day :)

Romani Vixen
November 24th, 2003, 03:52 PM
I've been doing some research on Danu, and she seems to have been associated with Diana/Artemitis. I sooo don't get this. Both seem to have been river goddesses, but asside from that I dont' see the correlation.

FalconSong

Mnemosyne
November 24th, 2003, 09:36 PM
I've been doing some research on Danu, and she seems to have been associated with Diana/Artemitis. I sooo don't get this. Both seem to have been river goddesses, but asside from that I dont' see the correlation.

FalconSong

Ooohh, I never thought about Danu's connection with Diana/Artemis. Ijust got it though. Both are moon goddesses as well as earth ( I think that the hunting aspect of Artemis makes her earthy.) Also, their names are similar. Danu also known as Dana (and Anu of course) sounds very similar to Diana. So they do kind of have a correlation even though Danu is seen more as a mother goddess and Artemis/Diana is seen as a virgin goddess.

Glad you liked the links, Lamoondove. :) Thanks for sharing all info with us. I love to learn new things each day.

Romani Vixen
November 25th, 2003, 06:40 AM
It's quite interesting. I'm finding myself intregued by both Danu and Diana/Artemis.

And here I'm *trying* ever so hard to focus on the Irish! lol

Lamoondove
November 25th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Mnemosyne ,, You are so smart on up on info ,, I Love it ,,
I beleive we are leaving today for ohio,,, I cant get on line there and check mail to meny nosy people who would not understand so I have to leave my learnings at home,,

I will be checking for more info when i get back Sat or Sun,,,
Will be the longest i have been away from MW since i joined :(
I will Miss you ALL ,,,,,,,,Hugsss BB MP

Mnemosyne
November 26th, 2003, 09:35 PM
It's quite interesting. I'm finding myself intregued by both Danu and Diana/Artemis.

And here I'm *trying* ever so hard to focus on the Irish! lol

Follow your heart! If you are into deities from various pantheons, it's great to learn. Even though you are interested in the Irish pantheon, studying different pantheons will give you some good foundation in the field of god/dess spirituality. Also, as you study, you see that many god/desses from around the world have a lot in common. Most cultures borrow ideas from other cultures.

I'll miss reading your posts, Lamoondove. I hope that you had a nice time in Ohio. :)

BB

Lamoondove
November 30th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Hello,,, I am back ,, I had to pull up this thread ,, I couldnt find it at first ,,,

Mnemosyne, I miss'ed ya :), but I am back :) Hugs ,, My trip was wonderfull ,, didnt snow till the friday eve,,
I in my mind and only way i could prayed to Artemis(Diana) to keep us safe on our trip and to bring us back in the peices we left in ,,& to look out over her child (Me) & my family ,, On way back I talked to her in my mind and the moon was following me playing hind n seek in the clouds ,, taking my mind off loud boys who i wanted to clock one ,,lol,,
I put some pics up at the alter ,, Didnt know if i should anywhere else,, But i got some great snow pics for you and
Check this out as the sun was setting and the moon was also out i got some great sky pics ,,

You have to see some of em ,, to me looks like there are eigther spirits or guides or something (Images) in the pics i was taking ,, I am going to put them in my post at the alter now ,,, If you look at em tell me if you see the face images in them to ,k,

Talk to you soon ,,, Hugssss ,,,