PDA

View Full Version : My dog eats paper....

Amethyst Rose
August 7th, 2003, 01:19 PM
My little dog, Ozy, has always been a paper eater... when he was a puppy I had to be careful where I left my university text books, or I'd find them with the corners chewed off. We also have to keep the bathroom door closed, or he'll eat all the kleenex out of the garbage, and even found the end of the toilet paper chewed up once. He'll also destry paper towel or toilet paper rolls and paper egg cartons. Last night I came home to find that he had eaten an entire box of kleenex...
Sigh.... any ideas on how to stop this nasty habit?

DianaStormDancer
August 7th, 2003, 01:28 PM
OOOOOO nope had a dog like that myself as a kid ate paer til the day he passed and we tried everything even those store bought sprays.....now I have two cats who lick plastic bags......go figure.

Faery-Wings
August 7th, 2003, 02:18 PM
I had a cat who *loved* styrofoam. And I have one now who loves plastic bags too.

I wish I knew a way to get them to stop. :geez:

MoonRaven
August 7th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Heh, we've got a cat that likes to lick things. Doesn't matter what they are. If he's walking down the hall, every so often he'll stop, lick the wall once, then keep walking. He does this to everything - even people.

Anyway, the only thing I can think of is to leave a piece of paper on the edge of a table with a can of pennies or something in it - something to give him a good shock when he pulls the paper off (and chances are good that he will).

We did this sort of thing with my mom's dog, but we left a peanut butter and chili pepper sandwich on the table. He doesn't steal off the table anymore.

Thistle
August 7th, 2003, 09:14 PM
If you figure out how to stop the paper-destruction, let me know. We have 3 cats. Magpie, the youngest, doesn't eat paper, but she does take rolls of TP off the roller, and shred them like confetti. My bathroom looks like a New Years Eve party was held in there. I can't lock her out, that's where the pan is. She also attacks a spot on the wall in the hall and has made a small hole there, and drags socks out of the hamper and leaves them at the front door. I'm thinking about calling a kitty shrink.
Good luck!

witchsmacked
August 10th, 2003, 08:42 PM
My wondermutt eats EVERYTHING. She got a hold of her frisby sometime during the night and demolished a good chunk of it. You'd think after eating things and then regurgitating them, she'd learn.

When she was a puppy, she liked the underside of the boxspring. I walked in one time and her back paws were sticking out, and she was going to town. Looked like a little canine mechanic. She got a hold of two of my paperback books and ate them to shreds. She unraveled part of my rug. I tried the red pepper approach. Apparently I have a Cajun dog.

I have to watch her in the yard because she likes to pull flowers off the shrubs and bushes and eat them. She was trying to eat a rock once, too. We had to get industrial strength toys, too. No flimsy squeeze toys. She has the hard rubber stuff to chew on. She even inherited one of my hockey pucks.

I had hoped she'd grow out of it, but apparently not. :geez:

Jeleia
August 11th, 2003, 01:10 AM
I know how you feel...

My roommates kitten loves to eat. (Expecially Paper!!!) I hope your wondermutt grows out of it. Its a pain eh?

Lavender
August 11th, 2003, 03:58 AM
Our dog finally grew out of the paper eating habit. Now if he could grow out of the house chewing habit, we're set. :rolleyes: Not much of that happening..he's almost 8!

Matt
August 11th, 2003, 07:09 AM
my dog looooooves to eat paper my mom won't let her in my room cuz well its basicly a dump and she's afraid she's gonna eat something i actually think its fun im gonna put some ot suace on a square of toliet paper see if she likes that or not :D

Bainidhe Dub
August 11th, 2003, 09:13 AM
My wondermutt eats EVERYTHING. She got a hold of her frisby sometime during the night and demolished a good chunk of it. You'd think after eating things and then regurgitating them, she'd learn.

I have to watch her in the yard because she likes to pull flowers off the shrubs and bushes and eat them. She was trying to eat a rock once, too. We had to get industrial strength toys, too. No flimsy squeeze toys. She has the hard rubber stuff to chew on. She even inherited one of my hockey pucks.

I had hoped she'd grow out of it, but apparently not. :geez:

LOL. That's so Custard. Last summer, my boss gave me a gorgeous lavender rose bush, which I planted in the front yard. Custard tried to chew on it, but I guess she didn't like the thorns sticking her and me squirting her with water, so she *dug* it up and put it on the sidewalk. Then flopped down in the hole and went to sleep.

Her absolute favorite thing to do is to dump the dirty laundry, get a chewie and lay in the clothes, chewing til she goes to sleep.

*sigh* lol . She also has this strange craving for water bottle caps. And she loves Pepsi and rootbeer - to the point of stealing 20 oz's from my brother when he's not looking.

WitchJezebel
August 11th, 2003, 10:57 AM
I don't have a paper eater, more of a shredder really. He'll shred newspaper, paper towels, tissues and just strew them all over the house. As far as I know, there's NO cure!

greenwitch
August 11th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Wow, my dog follows the footsteps of others it seems. Charlie, yeah he likes eating cat poo, rolling in cat poo, eating paper, homework, books, stuffed animal stuffing, wood, rocks, dirt, moss... the list just keeps on going for miles. Once he ate my favorite stuffed animal, he tore it open and ate all the stuffing inside, now I only have the "skin" of my teddy bear.

Charlie is a maniac, but it seems he isnt the only one...and no, the sprays dont ususally work.. but I think I'll try the hot sauce and chilli method... hehehe... "here charlie... do u want some habanero chilli on your paper today?" no that would be cruel, but I just might....

WitchJezebel
August 11th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Charlie is a maniac, but it seems he isnt the only one...and no, the sprays dont ususally work.. but I think I'll try the hot sauce and chilli method... hehehe... "here charlie... do u want some habanero chilli on your paper today?" no that would be cruel, but I just might....

Go easy on the hot sauce green; I hear that if they get too much of it, it can cause nosebleeds.