PDA

View Full Version : Gibson on 'Passion'

mol
August 8th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Mel Gibson has said his controversial movie about Jesus Christ will "inspire, not offend."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30078-2003Aug7.html

I think he is being a bit optimistic considering what I have read about the movie.

LightDancer
August 8th, 2003, 11:50 AM
So is he playing Jesus? It wouldn't suprise me in the least if he was, all of his movies seem to have the whole plot revolving around him :lol: .

B*B
jamie

~ Monk ~
August 8th, 2003, 02:17 PM
From a web site about the movie:

All the movie is shot in Latin and Aramaic, and probably we'll see it without the aid of subtitles. Mel gibson is the director, Jesus is played by Jim Caviezel.

I think he is being a bit optimistic considering what I have read about the movie.

What's that, mol?

Rae ShadowWolf
August 8th, 2003, 09:22 PM
I want to see this movie. Hopefully he'll only sub-title the Aramaic parts. As for the release date, they don't have a set date, but they are aiming for Easter time.

~ Monk ~
August 12th, 2003, 11:39 AM
More news about this movie...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030812/film_nm/leisure_thepassion_dc_4

Valnorran
August 12th, 2003, 12:50 PM
I don't think it's possible in this day and age to make a movie about Jesus without pissing someone off.

Ben Trismegistus
August 12th, 2003, 01:19 PM
I want to see this movie. Hopefully he'll only sub-title the Aramaic parts. As for the release date, they don't have a set date, but they are aiming for Easter time.

Well, the whole thing is in Aramaic and Latin. They used English subtitles in the early screenings, but haven't decided yet whether to use them if the movie goes into wide release.

FYI, the reason why they haven't set a release date is because they haven't been picked up by a distributor yet. I think it's a hot potato, and doubt a major studio will touch it.

Rae ShadowWolf
August 12th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Oh I know that it is in Aramaic and Latin. I was just saying that I don't want the whole thing in sub-titles. I think it would be better to just have sub-titles on the Aramaic parts, because Latin is eaier to understand.

Amethyst Rose
August 12th, 2003, 10:10 PM
:lol: Maybe for you!

WynnJera
August 26th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Ya :lol: and for me who has E and can not read fast and the flashing of the words on the screen would not go over well .... I like Mel and all and the fact that he like a challange and all ... but I just want to see the movie and unsterstand what it happening .. but at the same time I guess he is also relying on the fact you already know the story of Jesus ... and what you are getting into when you go ...

Avalon
February 5th, 2004, 10:24 AM
The movie is now due to be released in limited distribution on February 25 (the Catholic Ash Wednesday, a most appropriate day). Call me crazy, but I want to see this movie...I've always been a fan of the "King of Kings"-type films they show around Easter, and I find it interesting that we are starting to reinterpret the subjects of Golden-Age Hollywood (musicals, swashbucklers, Bible epics)...

~ Monk ~
February 5th, 2004, 04:29 PM
I want to see it too.

Avalon
February 5th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Yay Monk! At least there'll be 2 Pagans there! :D

Heathen Dawn
February 5th, 2004, 05:51 PM
As a Jew, this film fills me with nothing but fear and loathing. :geez:

Faol
February 5th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Hey - let's pre-judge this film on the basis of 3rd and 4th hand gossip - why not - it worked for the Inquisition!!

He said...... I heard........The difference between Pagans, and the "organised" religions? NONE - 99.9999% are still judgemental, close-minded units in a gestalt that shuns independent thinking!

Rockprincess
February 5th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Um. Why did you feel the need to yell that?

I do believe the majority of the posters here have said they are GOING to see the film. Your comments seem unconnected to the responses.

Faol
February 5th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Please re-read their comments - their responses have very little to do with the actual film, and lots more with their own prejudices. - qf "Heathen Dawn" "Mol" "Lightdancer"

I yelled because this kind of bigotry is what ha people burned at the stake, and the Gods know it deserves a voice raised in opposition

Heathen Dawn
February 5th, 2004, 06:38 PM
I yelled because this kind of bigotry is what ha people burned at the stake,

Someone is being overdramatic...

Rockprincess
February 5th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Please re-read their comments - their responses have very little to do with the actual film, and lots more with their own prejudices. - qf "Heathen Dawn" "Mol" "Lightdancer"

I yelled because this kind of bigotry is what ha people burned at the stake, and the Gods know it deserves a voice raised in opposition
Please explain where people are being bigoted.

Heathen Dawn said that he, as a Jew, doesn't like stories about Jesus. How is that bigoted?

Mol said that he thinks Gibson is being overly optimisic about inspiring people to Christianity with a film that has been seen and reviewed as controversial. How is that bigoted?

Light Dancer stated that Mel Gibson tends to make movies where he has the starring role. That's a fact. How is that bigoted?

Righteous anger can be useful in some situations. Here, it is ridiculous.

Faol
February 5th, 2004, 06:47 PM
you think so??

re-read your history - especially 1934 in western europe

Heathen Dawn
February 5th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Heathen Dawn said that he, as a Jew, doesn't like stories about Jesus. How is that bigoted?

To be accurate: as a Jew, I am worried the film will result in hatred, if not violence, against the Jews, on the part of Christians just having seen how the Jews led to Jesus’ crucifixion.

*sigh* Are you on medications and taking them properly?

Rockprincess
February 5th, 2004, 07:11 PM
To be accurate: as a Jew, I am worried the film will result in hatred, if not violence, against the Jews, on the part of Christians just having seen how the Jews led to Jesusí crucifixion.
Thank you for the clarification :)

Do you really think that is what will happen? Did Jesus Christ Super Star lead to mass violence against the Jews?

Jews and Christians have been living happily together (in North America at least) for quite a while now.

There may be a slight increase in useless rhetoric in some of the more fundamentalist, ignorant christian factions, but I sincerely doubt it will be widespread.

you think so??

I know my history very well, thank you.

I am not going to argue any further with you, unless you are going to use reasonable, substantiated points. I asked why you consider the posters you mentioned bigoted, and you did not answer. Ominous and vague references to "history" are not going to make your point.

Heathen Dawn
February 5th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Do you really think that is what will happen?

No, just worried that it will. Jewish history doesn’t make its studier an optimist.

Did Jesus Christ Super Star lead to mass violence against the Jews?

Was it a graphic description of his crucifixion? No, really, I don’t know what Jesus Christ Super Star was about, so I’m asking.

Jews and Christians have been living happily together (in North America at least) for quite a while now.

There may be a slight increase in useless rhetoric in some of the more fundamentalist, ignorant christian factions, but I sincerely doubt it will be widespread.

I hope you’re right.

aefentid
February 5th, 2004, 08:56 PM
I'm not going to go see it, and I used to love Mel Gibson movies like the Mad Max movies, and some of his early films. I just can't stand the chest-beating and machismo, that's crept into his later movies like Braveheart and the Patriot, that one had me swearing never to watch another Mel Gibson movie.

About the anti-semitism there have been stories about whether or not Passion or Gibson are anti-semitic, here are a few I found on google.
http://atheism.about.com/b/a/024802.htm
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/11/7/152355.shtml

Calyx
February 6th, 2004, 12:16 AM
I plan to see it, so there will be 3 pagans there! I am interested in Gibson's take on history.

Rockprincess
February 6th, 2004, 12:45 AM
No, just worried that it will. Jewish history doesnít make its studier an optimist.
Heh...true enough ;)

Was it a graphic description of his crucifixion? No, really, I donít know what Jesus Christ Super Star was about, so Iím asking.
It was, quite. Including whipping, dragging the cross, nailing up...ugh.

You should see it really though, the music is fantastic. It was made in the 70's, Andrew Lloyd Weber wrote the music (It's a musical). It was very controversial at the time, but it was hardcore Christians protesting against a "pop" representation of the story, which it wasn't at all. It was a very clear, probing interpretation. It focused a lot on Judas' part. He was portrayed by a black man, which was a poke at racism, but which also inspired controversy.

Avalon
February 6th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Has anyone ever read "The Last Temptation of Christ"? Or seen the movie?

Any time religion (or history, for that matter) is portrayed with the "poetic license" of the media industry, it will offend someone. I am pleased that Gibson is removing some of the more blatant anti-Semitic lines/scenes from the film, but it will be hard to please everyone...no doubt pre-Vatican Catholics (such as Gibson himself) will feel that the story leaves out too much...

As I've said before, I'm just curious to see what this picture will turn out like: will it be a masterpiece, a labor of love from a devout man, or an absolute train wreck?

Oh, and BTW: I second Rockprincess' recommendation of Jesus Christ Superstar. I own the soundtrack and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Just my 2Ę... :)

~ Monk ~
February 6th, 2004, 01:03 PM
I remember all of the hand wringing when LTOC came out... :geez:

Avalon
February 6th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Exactly. There will always be someone to take things too far, whatever the subject matter may be...remember the fallout from "Natural Born Killers"? Or "The Recruit"?

mol
February 16th, 2004, 11:31 AM
I remember all of the hand wringing when LTOC came out... :geez:
That's a little different I think. The Last Temptation of Christ represented a failure on Jesus' part...at least, that is what I got out of it. And to many Christians this was blasphemy. *shrugs*

~ Monk ~
February 16th, 2004, 12:04 PM
That's a little different I think. The Last Temptation of Christ represented a failure on Jesus' part...at least, that is what I got out of it. And to many Christians this was blasphemy. *shrugs*
I guess I can understand, but really - it's still just a movie/book. My impression was that it wasn't meant to slander Christ, just give a different angle on his story. I say I truly know what the author's intentions were, of course.

HeatherMoore
April 11th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Personally, I find the general 'positive' response towards Gibson's 'Passion' as evidence of what is severely skewed in American culture. It's all right for church groups to take young children to see a movie where a man is tortured for 20 minutes straight, but heaven forbid that those same children should see a naked breast during halftime.

There's something wrong with a culture that gives such a violent movie only a PG-13 rating and yet threatens to give a French cartoon (Triplets of Belleville) an 'R' for brief nudity.

Shanti
April 11th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Origanally by HeatherMoore (http://www.mysticwicks.com/member.php?u=9164):

Personally, I find the general 'positive' response towards Gibson's 'Passion' as evidence of what is severely skewed in American culture. It's all right for church groups to take young children to see a movie where a man is tortured for 20 minutes straight, but heaven forbid that those same children should see a naked breast during halftime.

There's something wrong with a culture that gives such a violent movie only a PG-13 rating and yet threatens to give a French cartoon (Triplets of Belleville) an 'R' for brief nudity. I agree. Also I am concerned with people getting 'Jesus fever'. Our country is having a difficult time with christian domanation. We dont need the fire stroked any more at this piont in time. And, the movie's release was timed so well. Gibson put a big chunk of his own money into it to get it done.
Its a shame a movie about the torture of witches or Native Americans or any other people cant get the support and attention this one did.

MoonDust
April 11th, 2004, 03:27 PM
I had planned to view this movie. Mainly because of the talk I wanted to see what Gibson had to say with this film. As time passed and the talk just continued and continued until you were literally sick when you heard ďpassionĒ I decided against watching the movie.
Iím tired of this movie and Iím tired of Mel.

Ironically, today Easter Sunday, my mom is sitting on the living room watching a bootleg copy of the movie.
Se la vie

Gwaihir
April 12th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Ironically, today Easter Sunday, my mom is sitting on the living room watching a bootleg copy of the movie.
Se la vie Well, at least she's not putting more money in Mel's pockets with that bootleg. I get sick when I think about how much money he must be making by merchandising the execution of his personal Lord and Savior.

Jesus denounced mammon, but Mel's making money by selling "Jesus nails" and telling people it will help them bring people to God. Pfft! Yeah, right...

MoonDust
April 12th, 2004, 03:12 PM
to quote my sisterafter seeing the movie: "Mel has issues"