PDA

View Full Version : Stoning set for Nigerian woman

LightDancer
August 11th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Hearing on AMINA LAWAL SET TO BE STONED ON - 27 AUGUST 2003

The Nigerian Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence for Amina Lawal, condemned for the crime of adultery on August 19th 2002, to be buried up to her neck and stoned to death. Her death was postponed so that she could continue to nurse her baby. Hearing on her Execution is now set for 27 AUGUST 2003.

I can't tell you how much this pains me, and how helpless anyone is to do anything about this, even Amnesty International hasn't been able to stop this horrible disgusting murder from happening. Conjure up everything you have people, to save this woman and let her raise this precious child without fear of religious zealots wanting to kill her.

It absolutely boils my blood how people can use religion as an excuse to cause others pain :flamer:

B*B
Jamie

WillowSageheart
August 11th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Oh my GODS! I was so certain that something would free this poor woman. There was a petition going around last year and Oprah even hopped on the bandwagon. I agree... perhaps if we all try to raise some energy on the 27th a miracle may happen.

Flar's Freyja
August 11th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Oh my GODS! I was so certain that something would free this poor woman. There was a petition going around last year and Oprah even hopped on the bandwagon. I agree... perhaps if we all try to raise some energy on the 27th a miracle may happen.

Yes, and there was quite an argument in a thread about how we should mind our own business :rolleyes:

I'll send energy that the outcome is for the higher good of all.

WillowSageheart
August 11th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Really?!? Which thread was that? I was always taught that it is an enlightened individual's responsibility to try to help in any situation that we can. Although I can see that some would perceive that as interference I suppose.

I find it very hard to mind my own business... especially in such a horrid situation as this. Glad you will be sending your energy too Freyja.

Kimberlily
August 12th, 2003, 12:38 AM
That is horrible and disgusting. I'm so sad for that woman, and for her child :( Energy will definitely be sent!

Fairywolf
August 12th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Energy will be sent :bastard: I can't belive the narrowmindedness (if that is even a word:lol: ) of people today.

Flar's Freyja
August 12th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Really?!? Which thread was that? I was always taught that it is an enlightened individual's responsibility to try to help in any situation that we can. Although I can see that some would perceive that as interference I suppose.

I find it very hard to mind my own business... especially in such a horrid situation as this. Glad you will be sending your energy too Freyja.

I believe that I'm the one who posted the thread in Political and was told that our sticking our noses in where they don't belong has contributed to the hatred of other countries against us - and that may be true. I was still very surprised by the negative response that the thread received.

There is a fine line between respecting other cultures and condoning violence and murder.

teyl
August 12th, 2003, 04:15 AM
*sends energy*

There is a fine line between respecting other cultures and condoning violence and murder.

Exactly... but this is barbaric. I cant believe being stoned to death can can still happen in the world today. There is still some time hopefully something can happen.

LadyOak
August 12th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Energy....

LightDancer
August 26th, 2003, 01:13 PM
It's happening tommorrow everyone, and I've been making myself ill with worrying about this poor woman and her child. Huge amounts of prayers and energy is needed to stop this murder from happening......and if all that fails pray for a quick death, a safe journey to the otherside, and a good happy home for the innocent child that is having her mother taken from her in such a horrible brutal way *sigh*

B*B
Jamie

LightDancer
August 26th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Amesty International (http://news.amnesty.org/)

After several adjournments, the hearing of Amina Lawal's appeal is due to take place on 27 August 2003 in her home state of Katsina, northern Nigeria. Amina Lawal and her lawyers are expected to be present at the hearing. The judicial process should follow its course if the quorum of judges is met this time.
Amnesty International continues to receive queries falsely claiming that Amina Lawal's execution is imminent - before or on 27 August - and referring to Amnesty International as a source.
No execution of the sentence is due before or on that date.
Amnesty International understands that Amina Lawal's right to legal representation and her right to appeal are guaranteed at this stage. She is not in detention and has good legal representation. She is also being supported by a coalition of Nigerian women's groups and human rights groups. Amnesty International is in close touch with these organizations.
"Unfortunately, this case has now been adjourned so many times that many of those who have campaigned for her sentence to be quashed cannot understand why a woman and her child can be put under so much duress. This is becoming a clear case of justice delayed is justice denied," Amnesty International said.

All right so I got my information wrong but keep her in and this appeal that may save her life in your prayers:)

B*B
Jamie

Flar's Freyja
August 27th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Will do.