PDA

View Full Version : Making a cat stop peeing, magical or mundane ideas?

Faery-Wings
August 14th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Ok we have this cat Ziggy who has pee problems. He started several years ago- OMG, I just realized that it is over 7 yrs- I was pregnant with my son! :eek: Anyway, he had become blocked several times and ended up with a perineal urethotomy (sp?) Means, basically, that he had a sex change- he now has a female urinary opening. While this was all going on, he was peeing all around the house and I was buying Natures Miracle by the gallon. Then after the surgery he does ok, for a while and then starts spraying. Again, not fun, more Natures Miracle. Then when pg with my daughter he gets calcium deposits in his bladder, and starts peeing blood all over the house. More surgery, more meds. differnt food...

Five years later, he is still peeing- has two main pee spots that no matter how much I steam clean, Natures miracle, vinegar, lysol, etc, the smell is still there. :(

Anyway, we are hoping to do an addition on our house and hubby doesn't want the cat to pee all over the new rugs etc. He is saying it is best to get rid of him.

I think that if we rip up the old pee stained carpets, clean the wood underneath real good and recarpet he'll (hopefully) not pee there anymore. I have to believe that and I have to convice hubby that.

Can any of you think of anything else I can do, either magically or mundane?

Danustouch
August 14th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Chryssi,

I really don't have much advice on that. But I do not think that recarpeting will do the trick :( I'm sorry. how about laying tinfoil over the area where he's been peeing? Cats supposedly hate the sound of it. Or putting his food bowls in that area (they won't pee where they eat).

Also, just a question, what food are you feeding your cat???? Make sure you give them something with urinary tract health formula.

Flar's Freyja
August 14th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Also, just a question, what food are you feeding your cat???? Make sure you give them something with urinary tract health formula.

Our Petey had the same blockage problem and it resulted in his having to be put to sleep after several expensive treatments, despite being fed Hill's Science Diet's Prescription CD food, which you have to buy at the vet's office. We fed him that for about the last six years of his life and he probably would have been worse off if we hadn't.

You may be stuck with the problem because if it's due to that urinary blockage thing that male cats get, it's like us having a bladder infection. They're in pain and can't make it to the litter box. You might try putting litter boxes in the spots where he pees and trying the prescription food. Another checkup at the vet may be in order, because with Petey, we didn't know he was getting sick until he was already bleeding.

Faery-Wings
August 14th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Danu, I have tried every trick in the book. I put is ffod dish over the one pee spot. He'll paw it out of the way, then pee. :wtf:

We have him on the same as Freyja's cat- expensive stuff only from the vet. And it helps. There isn't any blockages any more we have had him tested for crystals ohh, I don't know how many times. The vet and I both think it is more habitual peeing at this point.

Ugh, I don't know what else to do.

But thank you both for the suggestions.

mol
August 14th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Have you cleaned the area? Is it carpetted? You need to repad the area and clean the carpet. Then get some of that orange spray and spray the hell out of the area. Try that.

Kimberlily
August 14th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Our cat pees in our furnace vents when she's mad at us (she does it every time we move). We clean it up with Nature's Miracle, then we use orange essential oil in the vent, because cats apparently hate the smell of citrus. She stops doing it when we put the citrus oil in the area :)

StarFox
August 14th, 2003, 12:10 PM
We have a cat that wont stop peeing on the tiled kitchen counters. She gets up there and goes on and in anything thats up there, food, sugar jars, the toaster, the cake keeper, i mean anything. Nothing stops this cat, but she only dose it when no one is around to see her. The thing is she never did this untill after my father remarried and this woman brought two new female cats into the house + 1 tiny dog (Poodle), but even then it didnt start untill after a few years. She's been to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong with her.

Danustouch
August 14th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Our eldest, Boris, has also had urinary blockages. We get science diet for him most of the time, but when we're having financial problems, we'll go a step below, to Iams. He's had the surgery, and has only had one infection since. However, he too is a habitual "Peeer". With him, we KNOW it is an attitude problem. He does it when he is stressed out, or angry at the other cats. Or, specifically, when he wants to go outside to "avoid" the other cats. Thankfully, for whatever reason, he usually does it in plain view, so we are able to catch him most of the time before any damage is done, and put him outside, or put him in the litter box. When he does pee, due to scartissue from the surgery, it only comes out in drops, so we never really have much of a mess to clean. Usually, just washing the area with a lemon scented cleanser works, and/or washing fabric, and spraying fabric freshener. Our doctor told us that to completely avoid the problem, the best thing would be to find him a home where he is the "Only Cat". Because we are reluctant to do that, fearing that his advanced age, and well..whiney nature would keep him from finding a home, the other suggestion the vet made was that we put him on antistress medications. Have you discussed this possibility with your vet? If it is indeed a habitual thing, it might be tied into some stress or behavioral issue. In which case, and antistress med might do the trick (by the way, blockages and infections have also been known to be caused by increased stress, as well as diet). During the spring and summer, Boris goes outside most of the day, where he can avoid the cats as much as he wants to. This cuts down on his stress. But in the wintertime, it becomes a problem. Instead of paying a fortune on anti stress meds, we keep catnip around for him. This seems to help, as he seems to be peeing a lot less in the wrong places....

Can you think of anything in his environment that may be causing him stress? Could you maybe place some catnip in the area that he pees? It might distract him, and then calm him so that the urge is not there anymore??

Semele
August 14th, 2003, 03:28 PM
I don't have anything to add other than what has already been said, but I will keep him in my thoughts. Sadly we had to get rid of one of our very first cats because he had pee issues. He only peed in our bed or anywhere else where we slept.

Epona44
August 15th, 2003, 10:53 AM
:eyebro:

The primary one is that the cat has had to have surgery and simply does not have control. This may not be surmountable.

I have a Russian Blue, named Haggis. Haggis was a stray that was living around our apartment in Fitchburg, Massachusetts about a year and a half ago. He appeared in our yard a day or so after we watched our elderly neighbor being taken away in an ambulance. Our neighbor had passed away at home.

He was frightened, and crying in the unmistakable way that a cat does when it it lost. We already had two big, mean male black cats and we couldn't take him in because we worried about whether he had had his shots, and whether he would be harrassed by our cats.

Not really knowing if he had been our neighbor's cat, we took his photo and put up "found" posters to see if he was lost. Just as a point of information, a walk around our neighborhood uncovered no less than five other Russian Blue cats.

It was early summer and so we set out fresh food and water every day and became his friend. We would sit out on the porch with him and pat him and talk to him. By late August we decided to take him in. We took him to the vet for shots and care, and were told he had been neutered.

His entry into our "family" was traumatic, because, as we expected, our other male cats were extremely displeased. We added another litter box, and gave him timeout in the bathroom, and he's settled in. He's still the enemy as far as the other cats are concerned, but a truce has been declared.

We moved to our own home in New Hampshire a year ago, and we had problems with Haggis spraying while all three cats were adjusting to the new digs. The house has three apartments and we lived on the ground floor at first, while renovating the second floor. Because he is at the bottom of the pecking order, he is sometimes prevented from using his litterbox. This appears to be a territorial issue between Haggis and the other cats. Then we have accidents. That apartment had very old and worn carpets, and Haggis dispensed all-together with litterboxes. We had to give him his own room with his own litterbox, which he then used with no problem.

When we moved to the renovated apartment with new carpets, we placed the litter boxes in strategic locations so that there would always be one that could not be "guarded" by either of the other cats. I've learned to pay attention, when I'm around, to how long it has been since he's visited the facility. When I have to leave the house, I put him in the bathroom so he doesn't get harrassed. He likes it so much that he expects it and will head for the bathroom window when he knows I'm heading out.

He realizes we are protecting him and will watch where we are, and if we are near the bathroom, he follows us there, if he needs to.

I realize this is a big long story, but I'm using it to illustrate that this problem can be dealt with. I've owned and raised many cats in my life, from purebred Siamese to kittens people dumped at my door.

Here's a suggestion, you can purchase an ultraviolet light that willl help you find those stains and eliminate them.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=1&pCatId=7332

I'm not advocating this company, it's just an example of one place you can find such a light. The key is ultraviolet, which illuminate the stains.

Think about any "territorial" issues you cat may have in your house. My experience has been that it's often a problem of environment. However, cats are creatures of habit. Some are so sensitive to the cleanliness of their box that they won't use a box another cat has used, or use a box that has been used even just a few times. I hope this helps you, good luck.

Rain Gnosis
August 15th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Can't add anything except if orange doesn't work try looking online for other scents they dislike, or ask your vet (maybe bitter apple would work? don't know).

I only say that because my cats like orange :)

Kimberlily
August 16th, 2003, 01:44 AM
Can't add anything except if orange doesn't work try looking online for other scents they dislike, or ask your vet (maybe bitter apple would work? don't know).

I only say that because my cats like orange :)Rosemary supposedly works too :)

WynterWynd
August 16th, 2003, 02:38 AM
I've been told vanilla extract will supposedly work too.

Good luck with your kitty. I had to re-home one of ours who had a pee problem. She would use my stove burners:eek:

Faery-Wings
August 16th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Again, many thanks to all of you.

The hard thing is since he is on prescription food, he is given a lot of alone time in our bedroom, where he has his own litter box. And this is where he mostly pees. :(

I bought a UV light several years ago and it scared the * out of me- there were so many spots. I steam clean my carpets usually every other month and attempt for every month. I spray with all kinds of odor removers especially for cats.

I am hesitant to use any aromatherapy oils around him. Cats can't process them and they can harm their livers. MAybe just a fragrance will work.

*sighs* I love him, he was our first baby, right before we got married. And he sweet and cuddly otherwise. I have even tried "talking" to him....

Thanks so much for your support and stories. I also have now realized it coold be worse! Rugs are one things, bed and stoves....another.