PDA

View Full Version : Home Remedies

Yvonne Belisle
June 11th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Sorry I forgot to start this. Post your home remedies here! We want them all. :D

Methanespirit
June 11th, 2001, 08:06 PM
Migraine headaches? When you feel one coming on, sip a mixture of baking soda and water. Many times this will stop the pain . Sore gums or aching teeth? Chew some orange peel on the affected spot and the soreness will either stop or be greatly reduced.

Laiste
June 14th, 2001, 08:06 PM
If your feeling lathargic put a couple of drops of lemon essential oil in a bowl of cool water soak a cloth in it then lay back, relax and put the cloth on your forhead. This should help to stimulate you somewhat.

For calluses, corns on the feet and rough skin on the elbows and heels use mashed pineapple (the acids help) Leave on the affected area for an hour then rinse and gently scrub. You might have to do this a few times.

I can't wait to hear some other ideas.

Blessed Be,
Laiste

Mariposa De La Luna
June 15th, 2001, 10:52 AM
For babies with sore stomaches, make a weak chamomile tea and give them 4 ounces only once a day. Especially helps with constipation. Mexican tradition usually uses the stems and its called manzanilla but I couldn't find that, not living in the neighborhood anymore, so I just used the flower from my local "whole food" store. Works for adults and kids too, just make it stronger.

To calm down coughing, rub feet with lotion and cover in long socks.

I can't think of anymore, I don't think I have any more, I'll post again if I can think of them.

Amethyst Rose
June 15th, 2001, 03:17 PM
I have lots of home remedies in my BoS.... Here's one for cough syrup...

So, here is an old recipe for cough syrup you can try when you've
tried everything else that hasn't helped.

This recipe will open up any head and get rid of a sore throat.

1 cup of honey
Juice from 1 lemon
1/2 tablespoon menthol crystals
1/4 cup whiskey (Johnny Walker)
Warm the lemon juice and dissolve the menthol crystals.

Add honey and cool. Next--add the whiskey. Put in bottle or jar and shake well.

The mix is pretty strong so be careful when giving to youngsters.
Go a little easy--older folks.

Good luck.

ANY LOCAL HEALTH FOOD STORE SHOULD CARRY MENTHOL CRYSTALS.

EasternPriest
June 19th, 2001, 12:29 AM
Flax seed tea - good for fever with a cough.

Pour a pint of boiling water over one ounce of flax seeds mixed with a little ground licorice root. Simmer on very low for 4 hours.
Strain the tea. Sweeten if desired.

EasternPriest
June 20th, 2001, 12:39 AM
An old ringworm recipe:

Yellow dock (roots or leaves) steepin vinegar and allowed to cool.

Yvonne Belisle
June 23rd, 2001, 10:02 PM
Apothecary

Dandruff Treatment

10 aspirin tablets
3/4 cup warm water

Dissolve the aspirin in water. After shampooing, massage into scalp, leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Head Lice Treatment

25 drops rosemary oil
25 drops lavender oil
13 drops geranium oil
12 drops eucalyptus oil
1/3 cup olive oil

Saturate hair and scalp and wrap hair in plastic. Leave on for two hours. Remove plastic and add shampoo, rubbing in well. Rinse thoroughly and comb through with nit comb. Repeat three days later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red Pepper Taffy for Sore Throats

1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
2/3 cup water
1 Tbs cornstarch
2 Tbs butter or margarine
1 teas salt
2 teas butter flavor
1 teas cayenne pepper

In a 2-qt saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, water, cornstarch, butter and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly to 256 degrees on a candy thermometer (or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a hard ball. Remove from heat, stir in butter flavor and cayenne pepper and pour onto a baking sheet. When just cool enough to handle, pull taffy until satiny, light in color and stiff. If taffy becomes too sticky, butter hands lightly. Pull into long strips about 1/2 inch wide. With scissors, cut strips into 1 in pieces. Wrap pieces individually in plastic wrap or wax paper. Chew as needed. Makes about 30 pieces.

Chest Cold Vinegar

1 Large onion (sliced)
1/2 Cup Dried Mullein Flowers
7 Cloves Garlic (crushed)
2 Tablespoons (Crushed or grated) Horseradish
2 Tablespoons Fresh Grated Ginger
2 Tablespoons Honey
Apple Cider Vinegar

Fill jar with layers of these ingredients until full. Then top with Apple Cider Vinegar Refrigerate and use after 24 hrs. Take 2-3 teaspoons of the juice 2-3 times daily. Keeps for 6 Weeks.

Mullein Compress

2 quarts cider or malt vinegar
4 oz. Mullein
1/2 oz Lobelia herb
1/4 ounce cayenne powder

Gently simmer well covered for 20-30 min. Strain and pour over 1/4 ounce cayenne powder. Foment affected area as hot as possible for at least 1 hour. I usually place a soaked cloth on the area and cover with plastic wrap and place a heating pad over it all.

This is wonderful for glandular swellings, painful joints and muscles, edema and other swellings. Mullein encourages the absorbtion of fluids thus reducing swelling and inflammation. Lobelia is very relaxing and anti-spasmodic. Using a stimulant like Cayenne makes the other ingredients more effective and it also can help allay pain and staunch bleeding both on the surface and under (e.g. good for bruising). Cayenne is also somewhat antiseptic. This fomentation may be stored in a cool place and used within a 3 month period.

Just a couple of notes:
1. If it is too "hot", use less capsicum. Adjust to the needs of the patient.
2. Don't foment overnight. It may cause skin irritation. Use moderation. Don't forget vinegar is an acid. My daughter had peeling skin for several days after falling asleep with a compress on her arm.
3. If the vinegar is too irritating, substitute olive oil, in which case you can foment longer.
4. An interesting variation is to use 2 oz Mullein and 2 oz Comfrey with the other ingredients. Comfrey tends to hasten healing of tissues so might be helpful in wounds etc.
5. Do NOT use this compress on cancerous tumors since it encourages dispersion and absorption of fluids, etc.

SORE LEG OINTMENT

1 handful chickweed
1 handful red rose petals
1pt. oil (any)

Cook chickweed and rose leaves together in oil on stove or in oven. After 1-3 hours strain, use a liquid ointment on sore legs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SPICY WINE OR MOUTHWASH

1 bottle white wine or red
2ozs. cinnamon sticks (several small sticks)
6 peppercorns
1/2 nutmeg bruised or grated
2T. or half handful rosemary

Put herbs in wine. Steep for 2 weeks, strain, bottle and label.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JUNIPER BERRY OINTMENT

useful for wounds, inching, scratches, scars from burning, hangnails, festering sores.
Collect berries from garden or wild just as they are ripening.

2c. juniper berries
2c. oil (olive or lanolin)
2-3 t. or more if needed beeswax

Soak berries overnight. Strain out water, simmer berries in oil and make sure they don't burn. Heat was in separate container, strain berries, add wax while oil is still hot. Each batch may differ in consistency. The amount of wax must be added by eye. After hardening process has started reheat and add more melted wax if needed. Use tea and lots of cranberry juice to eliminate uric acid crystals in the joints. Add parsley also.

SAGE CAYENNE GARGLE

1/2 pt. sage tea
2t. apple cider vinegar
1t. cayenne

To make sage tea steep 4t. sage leaves 2tsp. honey in a pt. of boiling water. Steep for 20-30 minutes. Strain. Combine other ingredients. Shake every day for about a week. Excellent to avert a cold. May be taken internally 1 tsp. at a time. Bottle and label with date.

Anne
June 26th, 2001, 03:14 AM
Something that works well for me is a tea to help keep stomach upset down.

I use fresh ginger and slice it thin and put it into a tea ball. I let it steep in very hot water for at least 5 minutes. I add a bit of lemon and honey.

Sip during the day. Helps me quite a bit.

Yvonne Belisle
June 26th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Welcome to Mystic Wicks. I hope you find this as great a place as I do. Thank-you for the great post.

Anne
July 23rd, 2001, 01:54 AM
I would like to find out what people have found effective for use with sore heels. Primarily the area below the ankel and above to sole. Perhaps arthritis . . . I have tried some cayenne pepper rubs but they were ineffective. Any ideas would be welcome.

blessed be . . .

Lavender
September 18th, 2001, 06:08 PM
I found this while I was looking for the horehound cough candy. Thought I'd bump it up. :)

Twilight Garden
September 19th, 2001, 11:47 PM
I have a bunch, too. This is one people are usually happliy surprised to hear:

Passionflower tincture for PMS & cramps.

Fill jar with passionflower herbs.
Pour 150 proof clear liquor over herbs.
Let stand for six weeks. Flip occaisionally. I do it once daily.
Strain out herbs with cheesecloth. (Remember to squeeeeeeeeze.)
Take only 1/4 to 1 tsp. Depending on your size.
*You can heat out the alcohol, if desired. I personally think it helps, too! So I leave it.:D

Lavender
September 19th, 2001, 11:53 PM
And if you like, you can add the tincture to 1 cup of boiled water as well. The heat will evaporate some of the alcohol.

Smurfy
September 22nd, 2001, 12:44 AM
Wild child......did you find your recipe....if not, I have one...

Smurfy

Lavender
September 22nd, 2001, 01:24 AM
I found it but would love more recipes. :D I wonder if any has a recipe for making lozenges with honey instead of sugar?

Yvonne Belisle
October 5th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Sinuses driving you crazy?? Try a warm compress made with cloves or gingerroot.
The moist heat of the compress encourages drainage, and the inhaled steam of the
ginger and clove help clear the nasal passages.

Mairwen
October 5th, 2001, 07:36 PM
If you have a baby that is cutting teeth, dab some whiskey on your finger and run your finger over the baby's gums ~ works like a charm!

Also works for adults, too! :rolleyes:

Mairwen
October 5th, 2001, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Yvonne Thomas
Sinuses driving you crazy?? Try a warm compress made with cloves or gingerroot.

Ginger root is also good for stomach, bowel and menstrual cramps. I keep a bottle of the caplets just for that purpose.

seawitch
October 6th, 2001, 12:08 AM
i just made cough drops last week. with strong devils club root tea

3 cups strong herb tea
3 1/2 pounds brown sugar
2 cups corn syrup
cook too 295 pour in a pan and cut in to losanges before it cools all the way

the cutting part gave me the hardest time! the brown sugar masked the devils club very well

Lavender
October 6th, 2001, 12:45 AM
Thanks, seawitch! I just bought the corn syrup today & will give that a try this weekend.

I wonder if it makes a difference using the light colour corn syrup or the darker? Any candy makers out there?

Yvonne Belisle
October 6th, 2001, 03:05 AM
No real difference in it just in the color. If you want to add artificial colors to make a kid more inclined to try them then you would definitely want the light but otherwise they are interchangable. That includes in candies just remember it will affect the color of the finished product. Incedently if you wish to make stage blood all you need is light corn syrup and red food coloring. :)

Yvonne Belisle
October 8th, 2001, 01:04 PM
If you have dandruff try this :-) Instead of shampooing, massage handfuls of
baking soda into the hair and scalp to absorb oil and to loossen dead skin on
scalp. Rinse thoroughly, use no other shampoos. While initially the hair may
seem dry, after several weeks, dandruff will be gone and hair will be smooth and
shiny.

Yvonne Belisle
October 9th, 2001, 04:32 PM
To strengthen nails - Make a solution of pure castile soap and water in a large
bowl, soak hands and nails for about 10-15 minutes.

Mairwen
October 9th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Yvonne Thomas
If you have dandruff try this :-) Instead of shampooing, massage handfuls of baking soda into the hair and scalp to absorb oil and to loossen dead skin on scalp. Rinse thoroughly, use no other shampoos. While initially the hair may seem dry, after several weeks, dandruff will be gone and hair will be smooth and shiny.

Baking soda is good to take on camping trips where you don't have access to a shower, too. :D Just comb it through your hair.

Yvonne Belisle
October 18th, 2001, 02:16 AM
Itchy Skin Relief
Pour one cup of apple cider vinegar into a tub of warm water. The itchiness
should be calmed down nicely.

Yvonne Belisle
October 18th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Sage Deoderizing Foot Powder *

Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 drops of sage essential oil

Directions:
Mix baking powder and oil in a plastic bag,shake well. Allow to dry. Break up
any clumps that may have formed. Dust feet regularly with the powder and add a
teaspoon to the shoes overnight.
Hint: You can also pulverize some dry or fresh sage and sprinkle into shoes
before wearing.

Yvonne Belisle
October 18th, 2001, 02:56 PM
* Heavy Duty Gardeners Hand Cream *

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons of shaved beeswax
1/2 Teaspoon of carnuba wax
2 Tablespoons of jojoba oil
1 Teaspoon of aloe vera gel
10 drops of Vitamin E oil ( or 4 capsules)
1 drop of your favorite essentail oil for fragrance

Directions:
Melt the first four ingredients in a stainless steel pot on the stove or use a
glass pyrex cup in the microwave. Remove from heat and beat until cool, adding
the Vitamin E oil before mixture thickens. Continue beating until this mixture
becomes creamy. Add your favorite essential oil, continue beating until cream
has completely cooled. Spoon your cream into a jar, store in a cool dark place.

Mairwen
October 18th, 2001, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Anne
I would like to find out what people have found effective for use with sore heels. Primarily the area below the ankel and above to sole. Perhaps arthritis . . . I have tried some cayenne pepper rubs but they were ineffective. Any ideas would be welcome.

blessed be . . .

Sounds like a fascia muscle. This is going to sound stupid, but it works!

Stand on the balls of your feet (the space there where your feet end and your toes start) and stretch your body up as far as you can and hold that position as long as you can. Repeat until any stiffness is out of your heel.

OR and this is actually better

Stand on the bottom step of a flight of stairs with your heels hanging over the edge, leaving from the end 1/3 of your foot up to the end of your toes still on the step. holding on to the handrail for balance, push the weight of your body back toward the bottom of your heels. Hold this position as long as you can.

For safety reasons, please please do this on the bottom step ONLY!

Yvonne Belisle
January 28th, 2002, 12:11 AM
Eucalyptus-Lavender chest Rub:
A primary ingredient in many over-the-counter vapor balms, eucalyptus opens up
congestion and is a potent antimicrobial. Lavender also fights a variety of
microorganisms and helps the tension and crankiness of a child who has
difficulty breathing. Make an aromatic chest rub by combining 10 drops lavender
essential oil, 15 drops eucalyptus essential oil, and 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive
oil or other kind of vegetable oil. Massage a teaspoonful or more onto your
child's chest as often as needed.

Laiste
January 28th, 2002, 12:17 AM
Now that is great...and smells a lot better than those vapor rubs!! Next time around with the chest colds I will try that one!

Yvonne Belisle
February 9th, 2002, 10:16 PM
BAD BREATH:
Boil some cinnamon in a cup of water. Store it in a clean bottle in your
bathroom. Use it as a mouthwash frequently. Parsley leaves are rich in
chlorophyll, nature's own deodorizer. Chew some leaves regularly and your breath
will remain fresh. Alternatively, you can chew some cardamom seeds to sweeten
your breath.

Many more can be found at

http://www.tipking.com/Problem_solver/Traditional_remedies_for_everyday_ailments.htm

Yvonne Belisle
February 9th, 2002, 11:27 PM
SMELLY FEET: Soak feet in strong tea for 20 minutes every day until the smell
disappears. To prepare your footbath, brew two tea bags in 2 cups of water for
15 minutes and pour the tea into a basin containing two litres of cool water.

Yvonne Belisle
October 4th, 2002, 06:52 PM
bump )

PeleRising
October 4th, 2002, 09:04 PM
oh ... I love this thread.... gonna go get my recipes and see if i have anything to add....

Yvonne Belisle
October 4th, 2002, 10:34 PM
That would be great! :)

WandererInGray
November 21st, 2003, 12:14 PM
Bump. *grins* So I don't have to go hunting when I get home!

WandererInGray
November 22nd, 2003, 05:22 PM
If you have dandruff try this :-) Instead of shampooing, massage handfuls of baking soda into the hair and scalp to absorb oil and to loossen dead skin on
scalp. Rinse thoroughly, use no other shampoos. While initially the hair may
seem dry, after several weeks, dandruff will be gone and hair will be smooth and
shiny.

:D I'm so happy with this suggestion, Yvonne! I used it just once and it worked wonders! I've been having such trouble with my scalp lately, but the baking soda seems to be the answer.

For anyone else trying it though, a tip...rinse your head with your face pointed up! :lol: Or you end up with it in your mouth and eyes....not pleasant! *laughs*

Lavender
November 22nd, 2003, 06:24 PM
The baking soda is also great for oily hair.

I'm going to add this thread to our resource thread.

IrishRiotGrrrl
November 22nd, 2003, 11:17 PM
Bug bites...anything but spider bites...make a paste with some meat tendorizor with water and apply it to the area, it absorbs the insect juice or whatever! LOL!

Also, I know parents of kids will love this one...if for some reason your kid gets LICE and you dont want to use that heavy duty chemical stuff you can use olive oil. The only thing is you are going to have comb comb comb the hair a heck of a lot more than normal. The olive oil suffocates them and they die! I did this on and off with my son for about two weeks and he was clear. It's messy but for a tender head and tender skin a lot better than busting out with the chemicals.

mothwench
November 29th, 2003, 09:45 AM
here's one amethyst rose might like: if baby doesn't sleep through the night, give him a foot massage with sesame oil when you put him to bed in the evening. sweet dreams!

Kalika
November 30th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Migraines -

Make a paste of ground up mustard seed and water, place on a towel, then place over your abdomen. This is supposed to ease the pain. (Don't ask!!!)

Lila
February 4th, 2008, 08:35 AM
It takes me a lot of time to get asleep, so one day I made myself a sleeping pillow.

Sleeping Pillow:
1 pillow (big or small, it depends on what you have or how big you want to make your pillow)
Dry Lavender flowers (the bigger the pillow, more flowers are required)
Dry chamomile flowers (the bigger the pillow...)
Dry Lemon Balm flowers or leaves (the bigger the pillow...)

I put all the flowers inside the pillow and I use it when I go to sleep.

It also works really well when I have headache!

Jolixte
February 27th, 2012, 02:44 PM
These are really helpful.