PDA

View Full Version : Major power outage hits New York, other large cities

Athena-Nadine
August 14th, 2003, 05:14 PM
My mother lost power at home in NJ in the power outage. There's no power in her house, or in the entire neighborhood, and her cell phone isn't working. She's on her way to the hospital to see if they still have power. My father was readmitted just recently with an infection that antibiotics weren't having any effect on, and he's had a really high fever for the last few days.

My father had a stroke last October that has left him completely paralyzed. He can do nothing but blink. He continually develops respiratory infections and pneumonia from being bedridden. On top of that, he has mild emphysema.

So my mother is driving to the hospital right now, in a city with absolutely no power, so she is worried about getting home before dark, as she has to drive through the city with no traffic lights or anything.

Any thoughts or prayers would be greatly appreciated. *...sighs...* Days like this make me wonder if I ever should have moved away from NYC.

Ahautenites
August 14th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Hrm... generally, energy I send to electrical equipment makes said equipment stop working, but since they're already not working, it couldn't hurt.

**sends some Yay, Electricity! vibes that direction**

Ahautenites
August 14th, 2003, 05:22 PM
That being said....

**sends some healing energy to your dad, to bring down his fever, and to your mom, to calm her frazzled nerves, and to you, to give you strength**

LadyOak
August 14th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Scarey...Energy sent...

Athena-Nadine
August 14th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Thanks. I know there are emergency generators in hospitals for just this reason, and I know my father will probably be all right. I'm more worried about my mother than anything else right now.

She's not the most confident driver as it is, and she's already under enough stress. I really don't like the thought of her driving through her city without traffic lights or a working cell phone.

WandererInGray
August 14th, 2003, 05:55 PM
*soft smile and hugs* Good thoughts being sent.

Honey, be realistic. Even if you were there...you'd be trapped at work, with little hope of getting over to see/help your mom out before they get the power back on. *hugs*

Athena-Nadine
August 14th, 2003, 05:57 PM
*soft smile and hugs* Good thoughts being sent.

Honey, be realistic. Even if you were there...you'd be trapped at work, with little hope of getting over to see/help your mom out before they get the power back on. *hugs*
*...sighs...* I know that. Sometimes it just makes me feel better to be able to be in the same vicinity, in an odd, twisted way.

I really don't like this. Not one bit. My cell phone has rang so many times in the last hour that my battery's dead; everyone wants to know if I've spoken to my mother, and if my father's OK, and I have nothing to tell them. All the people running around the streets of NYC, the phones being down, everyone freaking out--it reminds me way too much of Sept. 11th. The whole thing is making me sick to my stomach.

*...sigh...* Now I at least know why I've been walking around almost in tears since I wke up this morning.