PDA

View Full Version : Animal neckwear, what's your opinion?

Dindrane
August 21st, 2003, 12:55 AM
Just thought I would see what kind of neckwear everyones pets wear. This can be a touchy subject to some, I just want to hear any pro's or con's about different collars.

Blessings,
Dindrane

Demeter
August 21st, 2003, 12:58 AM
Breakaway collars with tags bearing pet's name and my phone number, and their rabies tags. The breakaway feature may have saved one of our cats' lives, so I will always use them from now on!

Dindrane
August 21st, 2003, 12:59 AM
Sorry, for example, do you use a choker on your dog, or do you use leather? Why a preference over the other?

Dindrane
August 21st, 2003, 01:00 AM
Breakaway collars with tags bearing pet's name and my phone number, and their rabies tags. The breakaway feature may have saved one of our cats' lives, so I will always use them from now on!

Breakaway collar? Hmm, that's cool. I've never heard of those before, I should look into that. Thanx!!

Blessings,
Dindrane

P.s. glad your baby is okay

Flaire-FireStar
August 21st, 2003, 01:35 AM
We use the break-away ones on the cat too (if she can manage to stay in one, that is)

For a dog I babysat a while ago, though, the owners used a chain because the dog was just so wild.. I'm not too fond of them, though... I like the leather or that nylon-type (whatever backpacks are made of) fabric much better (I think it would be more comfortable for a pet too)

Flutterby_whispers
August 21st, 2003, 02:46 AM
On sabby, when were walking I use a choke chain ~ although it rarley ever needs to be used, when we get home it's taken off.

But always on him is a canvas type collar, it's black and on it is a tag, it lays flat on his collar and up on top, has his name, current on shots, and our phone number.

He is also microchiped.

Flar's Freyja
August 21st, 2003, 03:14 AM
My cats had always worn collars and Flar talked me into taking them off a while back - I can't remember why, though :T

Pouncy loves jewelry and I recently bought a rhinestone studded collar at the grocery store, but it was too big and we ended up having to take it off. I once put an amethyst bracelet around her neck but she stretched the elastic and ended up with it wrapped around her leg :rolleyes:

Bainidhe Dub
August 21st, 2003, 09:35 AM
Custard wears a nylon collar, with all her tags (rabies, id, etc). She is also microchipped. I recommend to anyone - it's painless, you get a certificate of ownership, a tag to put on the animal with a number to call... and I know if Custard got out at any time and/or hurt, she would be checked for a chip and I'd be called. $25 for that kind of piece of mind is well worth it.

Old Witch
August 21st, 2003, 10:31 AM
My dogs wear nothing in the house and yard....when we go off, they wear fancy nylon collars and matching leashes........

Toad
August 21st, 2003, 10:38 AM
Our cats are nekid. :)

The dog wears a nylon collar all the time. She had a leather collar but being a water lover the leather did not fare to well.

I also regularly use a chain choker on her...well I used to use it regularly. Its a useful tool for leash training. She really doesnt need the choker these days...though I still use it if we are taking her somewhere in public. Some my find it cruel but I dont use the choker to be mean to the animal...simply to train.

MoonRaven
August 21st, 2003, 12:20 PM
When Neo was little, we tried keeping a collar on him, but he got to a point where he would kick it off whenever we weren't looking. Some cats just won't stand for it, it seems (I don't know how many times my mom tried keeping a flea collar on her cat, just to find it later in the yard, abandoned).

When we take the cats out, we put them on harnesses - sky blue for Neo(who's orange) and wine for Loki (who's black and white).

I suggested getting a collar with a bell for Loki, but the BF says he doesn't want to live with that sound (Loki's a bouncy kitty).

My mom's dog usually wears a blue collar (typical nylon strapping), but when he goes for walks he wears a blue halter instead of hooking the leash to his collar. Greatest thing in the world, IMO.

Old Witch
August 21st, 2003, 12:27 PM
Before I was rudely interupted by my sons I was saying.......Dax wears a choke collar, a fancy collar,and a "Gentle Leader" (a head halter). He is so strong and if he wants to go somewhere I don't...well needless to say, I get dragged along....if it wasn't for the "Gentle Leader". The choke collar is there in case the halter fails.
Those two are both attached to the leash.........Apache has a nylon lead and collar in one........

DayDreamer
August 21st, 2003, 12:38 PM
My cats are indoor only and do not wear collars.

When I had a dog, he always wore a choke collar (which was clipped to itself for safety when he wasn't on a lead).

Crystal_Raye
August 21st, 2003, 03:10 PM
Sorry, for example, do you use a choker on your dog, or do you use leather? Why a preference over the other?

Around the house we use normal a collar on our dog but to go out we use a choker. Its the only way to control her.