PDA

View Full Version : Dog boo-boo

witchsmacked
August 22nd, 2003, 11:44 PM
When I greeted my dog, Phoebe this afternoon, I noticed something on her side that looked like a matted spot of fur. She had been out in the yard all morning, so I figured she was under dad's workshop or the little storage shed in back. Upon close inspection, I noticed the fur lifted up a bit. She had a small gash, not quite the size of the corner of the tip of an eraser, not really deep, but enough for me to notice, on her side. It wasn't bleeding, but she sort of "talked to me" when I touched it--not quite a growl, not a yelp, or a howl, but a combination of the three. I asked her if she hurt herself and her tail wagged. She was running around just fine so it doesn't appear to bother her.

I thought to put some alcohol or peroxide on it, but mom said that if she was licking it, it should be fine. It doesn't look to be sore or anything, just a bit tender when I moved the fur back enough to look at it. We're thinking maybe she caught herself on something chasing the neighborhood cat that likes to invade our yard.

Should I have a vet look at it? Should I put something on it? Or should I just let her be?

Hope
August 22nd, 2003, 11:59 PM
I don't want to scare you, but I would feel bad not asking.

Are you 100% sure she didn't get shot?

Here in ID that happens, and often the owner is shocked and things they would of/should of/ known.

I hope she just did something stupid!

love
hope

amathera
August 23rd, 2003, 01:47 AM
My vet told me never to put Hydrogen peroxide on an animal. It will not only eat the infection, it will keep going and eat the healthy tissue too.

Tarbh Nathroch
August 23rd, 2003, 03:17 AM
We have a dog med kit. Itís been well worth the money. Weíve had to use it several times, not just on our dogs. It had a very nice selection of items and piece of mind that all the items were safe for dogs. So many things in the people world arenít. Just keep an eye on it till it closes up, just use a clean wet cloth to clean it since she is an out side dog.

Unfortunately I have to second the double checking to make sure the dog wasnít shot if she leaves the property often. A lot of folks have a shoot on sight policy with canines.

Oh and yes, never use hydrogen peroxide on a pet wound. The ONLY pet use of it is feed a ľ cup to induce vomiting for suspected poisoning.

Faery-Wings
August 23rd, 2003, 08:54 AM
Poor baby! I hope she is feeling better.

I don't know about the licking- everytime my dog has gotten cut, my vet says to try to keep her from licking. That could be just for stitches though. Heh- I have more memories of my animals with those cone heads!

I am concerned about the shooting too. I hope that isn't what caused it.

Old Witch
August 23rd, 2003, 06:04 PM
http://webcenter.petplace.aol.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=2634

Here's some ideas for a dog first aid kit....include a jar of Tucks pads.....they are great for cleansing wounds......bites.....stings.....
.http://www.tailsend.com/hints_firstaid_buildkit.asp

This is my favorite site..

witchsmacked
August 23rd, 2003, 08:34 PM
She is in a fenced in yard, so unless someone shot into our yard (which we would have heard as the houses are close by) I don't think that is the case. We NEVER let her run loose except in the back yard.

Mom thinks it may have been a nail under the workshop. It isn't tremendously deep, just looks like the skin might have gotten a little pulled back. I've been checking it several times a day and it doesn't look like it's red or irritated. If it bled it wasn't a lot. I had mom help me hold her and we cleaned it with anti-bacterial soap and warm water. I was most worried about tape worms and so on.

Thanks for the info about the doggie first aid kit. I didn't know they had those things.