PDA

View Full Version : Hormonal cat question.

Semele
September 4th, 2003, 12:56 PM
I think most of you know about Trey's little Hussy cat, Krusty, who had kittens about 5 months ago. Well she is once again pregnant..some creatures just like to have them back to back I hear! ;) She wants to spend most of her time outside these days which is ok with us. We are planning to start putting food out for her and stuff after this litter so she doesn't have to come in if she doesn't want to. We want to wait until after this litter is born because we want them born inside so they can be nice, calm kittens and go to good homes rather than populating the neighborhood with an abundance of wild cats. Then Krusty can be spayed and allowed to roam and play at will or come in, whatever her heart desires.

Ok, so onto my question..Krusty comes in about 3:00 p.m. and eats quickly and then goes to Trey's closet, where she had her last kittens, and sleeps until she gets hungry and then she eats and goes out with us in the morning when we take Trey to school at 8:30 a.m. When she is in the house she gets along fine with Ozzy as usual but now she is a complete monster to Sandy, her kitten from the first litter. She hisses and growls at her and Sandy is so sad and confused and has even been acting out a little lately. It makes me sad. Mol thinks that Krusty didn't really want to have kittens again yet and she is taking it out on Sandy. I am wondering though if it isn't some natural animal instinct to alienate the older kittens so they will stay away from the brand new kittens while they are vulnerable and such. I just really don't know whether we should try to intervene or let it go as it is. Anyone ever experienced this before and if so, how to react to it?

Phoenix Blue
September 4th, 2003, 02:41 PM
I think your hypothesis is correct. The mama cat doesn't want to take care of her babies forever; and when she has a new litter on the way, she'd definitely need to establish enough emotional distance for her children to know they're on their own.

indigo rain
September 5th, 2003, 10:55 AM
i've also had a cat that acted this way, i do believe you're right. she's trying to tell her baby that she's got new babies on the way, and she'll have to devote all her attention to them soon.