PDA

View Full Version : Are you a decendant of Eve?

Tigerwallah
June 16th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Did Humans Descend From 33 Daughters of Eve?
'Your Genes Have Been Through a Fantastic Journey,' Geneticist Says

By Paul Majendie
Reuters

HAY-ON-WYE, Wales - We are all descended from the 33 daughters of Eve. Just take a swab from your cheek and you can find which one is your original ancestor.

That is the view of Professor Bryan Sykes, one of the world's top geneticists who has spent the last decade mapping out where we come from.

''Your genes have been through a fantastic journey,'' he told Britain's leading literary festival on Tuesday in the Welsh border town of Hay-on-Wye where he laid out a fascinating DNA pathway to the past.

Now, after opening such a fascinating Pandora's Box, he has found that thousands of people around the world, from the United States to South Africa, are consumed with curiosity and want to find out who their original ''clan mother'' is.

''This shows how closely connected we all are,'' he said

The Oxford University professor first started taking DNA from archaelogical bones and then in 1994 was called in to examine the frozen remains of a 5,000-year-old man trapped in glacial ice in Northern Italy.

This led him to research how a gene passed undiluted from generation to generation through the maternal line and helped him to track down our own genetic ancestors.

''If you look at the mitochondrial gene, it is DNA which is just inherited from your mother. It is found in eggs not sperm,'' he explained in an interview with Reuters.

After taking several thousand DNA samples, the clan mothers in Europe were narrowed down to ''The Seven Daughters of Eve,'' the title of his new book chronicling his DNA detective work.

''To bring these women alive I gave them names and worked out where they lived and when. They range from Ursula in Greece 45,000 years ago to Jasmine 10,000 years ago in Syria -- she came from the Middle East along with the farmers,'' he said.

''There are roughly 33 equivalent clusters if you take the whole world. Eventually it all comes down to Mitochondrial Eve in Africa 200,000 years ago,'' he added.

Sykes said ''Thousand of people have asked to have a DNA test to find out who they are descended from.''

So oxfordancestors.com was set up on the Internet.

You send off 150 pounds, receive a swab kit and then send it back for analysis that will reveal your origins.

''The majority came from the United States. I think the reason for the interest is rediscovering the fact we have a history and the genes are not just something you are given like a National Insurance Number,'' Sykes said.

''Your genes are a very, very precious gift and you should be proud of them,'' he concluded.

Reut13:00 05-29-01

Copyright 2001 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Tigerwallah
June 16th, 2001, 05:55 AM
My question in all of this, is how come there are 33 different genetic possibilities? If Adam and Eve reproduced 33 different daughters, how is it possible that they did not all have the same genetic code, as well as the rest of us if we all descend from Adam and Eve? Not only that, if Noah's story is true :rolleyes: than wouldn't that bring us back to no more than 4 genetic possibilities? Noah, his wife, and his two daughter-in-laws (his sons would have shared their parents genetics). And how did one of the daughters of Eve get from Africa to Greece in 45,000 BCE?

Yvonne Belisle
June 16th, 2001, 07:25 AM
This is a facinating subject. I think I'll look into it a bit. It will give me something to look for on the net and see just how much information is out there. You have excellent religous questions there. I think the zelous will chose to either ignore the information completely or to rationalize it as God's will. If I had blind faith that is the rationalization that I would use that or assume he is simply misstaken. Of course the arguement that his research is the devil's work could also be used to rationalize it. I find the mix of science and religion interesting. Many people try to use science to prove religious theory then get angry when the answers aren't what they wanted. Often to the point of falsifiying data on a conscience of subconscience level. There was a well know scientist who tried to prove that blacks were less intellegent by filling sculls with a substance and then measuring it. His data showed what he expected but when the experiments were recreated the data was proved to be false. He had seen what he wanted to see. I think there are researchers out there that will do the same thing with the genetic issues.

Amethyst Rose
June 16th, 2001, 01:59 PM
The feeling I got when reading this article was that the "Daughters of Eve" thing was just an expression. Folklore (Christian), says that Eve was the first woman. Therefore, by saying someone is a daughter of Eve could mean that they are really, really, really old.... going back to the first females on earth.... not neccesarily that they are related.
So, this scientist is basically saying that everyone can be traced back to the very first tribes on earth. This meshes quite well with another story I heard lately.... that every european person on earth is decended from from only 50 people from 20,000 years ago.

Revelation
June 16th, 2001, 02:07 PM
What I would like to know is where in the Bible does it say Adam and Eve were the only people on Earth. It says they were the first. It says nothing about the only.

Tigerwallah
June 16th, 2001, 03:45 PM
I don't know if the Bible mentions this, or not, but I do know that fundamentalists believe that Adam and Eve populated the earth. Therefor, it probably is mentioned somewhere in the Bible. I think that the Bible traces the lineage from Adam and Eve to Moses. I don't know if that is the source or not, though.

Greenthumb
June 17th, 2001, 12:19 PM
The bible also makes reference to groups of giants, and several other different types of beings, which would also make me question their origins as well. Interesting,,,, it certainly would stand to reason that if Eve was indeed the first, she probably was not the only.

greenthumb

sylphanie
June 18th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Well, like any DNA mitochondrial DNA goes through various mutations. What the anthropological theory says is that, though of course other members of the hominid species were around, "Eve's" ancestors slowly either replaced them or bred so completely into their populations that the other women's mitochondrial DNA is 'over-written' in the population. The name 'Eve' for this theoretical "Great Mother of Humanity" was half-joke. ^_^

Sylph

raevyncigany
June 29th, 2001, 08:59 PM
All I can think is...HOLY S**T!! 33 daughters!!! Not to mention the original Cain and Abel...and who knows how many other boys?!!!

YIPE!

:eek:

Rae )0(

EasternPriest
July 11th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Rvyn Cigny
All I can think is...HOLY S**T!! 33 daughters!!! Not to mention the original Cain and Abel...and who knows how many other boys?!!!

YIPE!

:eek:

Rae )0(

push, push.......lol :p

Naillosotarrain
July 12th, 2001, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Amethyst Rose
Folklore (Christian), says that Eve was the first woman.

Actually, as much as I hate bringing this subject up, Eve was not the first woman, but rather the second. The first woman (and Adam's first wife) was Lilith; at least according to Christian Folklore. Although trying to find any decent information on this subject can be a real b**ch at times; and trying to get a Christian scholar who knows of the subject to admit it is nearly impossible.

Sephiroth
July 26th, 2001, 06:07 PM
i think that if every one came from eve that that means we're all related.... WHAT WILL I TELL MY GIRLFRIEND???? AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Myst
July 30th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Naillosotarrain
Actually, as much as I hate bringing this subject up, Eve was not the first woman, but rather the second. The first woman (and Adam's first wife) was Lilith

Donno why you hate bringing it up :) butttt, she may have been the first woman but she would not lie under Adam. Some believe she was a higher being (ie. Goddess) who was supposed to mate with this "inferior human" being to procreate and she said no. Thus she got demoted to human then demon.

Anyway, to make a short story long, she may have been the first woman, but Eve was the first human mother. Which isn't what the person said but probably what they mean :)