PDA

View Full Version : cat question

ckynes1968
September 15th, 2003, 12:54 PM
I've always been a dog person but now we have a cat (the kids talked me into it). I really don't know much about cats but this past year has been a learning experience. Anyway, we haven't had the money to get her spayed yet and I'm wondering, How often do cats go into heat? Clara seems like every other week she is rolling around on the floor "looking for love" and it drives me nuts. Boy, I wish there was a SNAP program around here!

Open Again
September 15th, 2003, 01:04 PM
ooooooo, that's rough..... sorry to hear that but i belive every three months..... don't quote me on that please it's been a while sense i went threw that. I let my cat have a litter before getting her fixed.

VelvetBlade
September 15th, 2003, 01:20 PM
whenever they see fit..lol...at least, that's how it seems..

~AW

jenn
September 15th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Im not sure how often -its seems my female cat did at least once a month and she is on her second batch of babies that she had 2 days ago. Luckily I already had homes for them. Our local humane society gives out vouchers to help in some of the cost. . Somebody else told me they can every 12 days but Im not sure how true that is

Garnet
September 17th, 2003, 12:38 PM
My Ramona was a stray who decided my house was perfect for her. When I decided to keep her, I took her to the vet. He said that she was about 6 months old & the ideal age to be spayed. I told him to do it right away.
I had two older cats that weren't spayed when I got them, & they made my life miserable when they were in heat. They paced around, wailing, & tried to back up against toes of shoes, especially pointy toed shoes.
It was embarrassing. I stopped having company until they were spayed.

ckynes1968
September 17th, 2003, 03:47 PM
You're right - it is awful and embarrassing when I have visitors. My sister swears that everytime she visits that the cat is in heat.

My husband remarked "Whatever makes the cat roll around on the floor like that - - scientists should bottle it and give it to women"

CajunLady
September 17th, 2003, 04:14 PM
My husband remarked "Whatever makes the cat roll around on the floor like that - - scientists should bottle it and give it to women"

My husband would probably say the same thing!!!

We jsut adopted a kitten from our animal control. We had to sign a paper that we would get her spayed when she hit the right age. If we don't, we could face jail time and fines. SO we're definitly getting her spayed!! We have one older cat--female also-- but we got her spayed early too. So, it's been a while since I've seen a cat go into heat. I do think it's every 3 months, like someone else said. I don't know if it's happened to anyone here, but I've known soemone who let their cat have a litter of kittens then spayed her. The cat would still act like it was in heat-- the wailing and everything--even though she wasn't in heat. It took her a year or so to calm down!!

Good luck with your kitty!!

~~Rowan

amathera
September 17th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Call your local Humane Society. Sometimes they have programs to spay or neuter for a reduced price.

DayDreamer
September 19th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Cats go into first heat at about six months of age, and then every few months thereafter. It will get more and more frequent until you either BREED them, or spay them. Go to your local Humane Society and have her spayed.

LadyAutumnCat
September 19th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Cats can be in heat all the time if they are not pregnant. Whenever you can please spay her asap it helps prevent mammarian cancers as well as pyrometra. Call your local shelter to find a low cost spay/neuter clinic. Good luck.

harlequin
September 19th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Sometimes pounds, or rescue shelters will do it for free, or charge you very little. When I found a kitty, I took her to one to get checked out and the procedure only cost me $30, so definately call around and find out.
Lots Of Luck!
:bouncybob

Rae ShadowWolf
September 19th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Ashley gets in heat every few months. She's only had 1 litter of kittens when she was a few years old (she's 11 now). She's not loud, the only thing she does (and this is the ONLY reason you know she's in heat) is she rolls around on the carpet, looks like she's scratching her back. She's more talkative though, so if you meow to her, she'll meow back. Not loud about it at all.

She's just so laid back.

zakzekezedd
September 19th, 2003, 11:02 PM
It depends on the cat..I have one little imp who seems to be permanently in heat, and another who only comes into heat about twice a year. The imp is extremely vocal!!...while the other one is very quiet, and aside from wanting a bit more petting you probably wouldn't know she was in heat. I need to get them spayed, but money is a problem. They are strictly indoor girls, and the boys are all fixed so at least unexpected additions to the household aren't a problem.

fahawk
September 21st, 2003, 09:23 AM
Our cat's size was on the small side, and I just put off getting her fixed..but I knew that she was over 6 months and it was time..once she went into heat she was just "strange" and she became a much better friend-pet once she was spayed...made a world of difference personality wise.