PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Believe We Made It!

Athena-Nadine
September 22nd, 2003, 02:56 PM
This came in my email this morning from one of my friends. I just had to share: :lol:

I Can't Believe We Made It!

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's or even the early 80's, probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids or locks on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets.

Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.!
Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it,
but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we
were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones. Unthinkable!

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends! We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one! was to blame but us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or! just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.

Horrors!
Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of parents bailing us out if we got in trouble in school or broke a law was unheard of.! They actually sided with the school or the law. Imagine that!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers, and inventors, ever.

We had freedom, failure, success, and responsibility --- and we learned how to deal with it. And you're one of them!

Congratulations.

Rhaven
September 22nd, 2003, 03:21 PM
Well said, I am one of the survivors!!!

FeatherGoblinglimmer
September 22nd, 2003, 04:15 PM
me too!!:)

Danustouch
September 22nd, 2003, 06:09 PM
I kind of wonder how kids who HAVENT lived through all these things, but were born in the late eighties, and nineties, feel when they look at this? The kids who can't remember these things.. and how kids will think of it 30 years from now.

To them, it will probably seem as crude as "Outhouses" and one room schoolhouses with coal burning stoves, seem to us.

I suppose I MUST be getting old, because like my parents, and grandparents before me, I'm looking back on my childhood, and those days gone by as described so perfectly in this posting, and i'm thinking to myself "Kids today, they just don't know what they're missing. We had it great back then".

And none of us really felt deprived by NOT having the things that kids do today, either. Isn't that amazing? I mean..think about it. Little girls were once content to play with a Cabbagepatch kid, or it's forerunner, a Kewpie doll, for hours upon hours. And little boys, were really content to play with a toy truck..and it didn't even have to have flashing lights, or make noise! And as children, man...we thought we had it all, JUST to be able to do that.

*Sigh* I miss being a kid in the 70's- 80's. I'm quite sure there wasn't a cooler time to grow up in.

Ahautenites
September 22nd, 2003, 06:11 PM
**nods** I still say '80s cartoons rocked.

WandererInGray
September 23rd, 2003, 07:25 AM
Little girls were once content to play with a Cabbagepatch kid, or it's forerunner, a Kewpie doll, for hours upon hours. And little boys, were really content to play with a toy truck..and it didn't even have to have flashing lights, or make noise! And as children, man...we thought we had it all, JUST to be able to do that.

*laughs* Um, little heavy on the gender division there, Danus? ;) Not that I *didn't* have a Cabbage Patch doll, but I probably spent more time playing with toy trucks and tractors...or creating murder mysteries, avalanche rescues, and other assorted dramas with mine and my sibling's Barbie dolls. :lol:

Yeah nostalgia is great, and I do think kids these days spent way too much time in front of the TV. But nostalgia is just that, looking at the past through a golden filtered light and seeing only the good things. :D

VelvetBlade
September 23rd, 2003, 07:31 AM
Kids today have no imagination...everything is done for them. You don't have to pretend and imagine the fire truck is full of lights and sound...just push the button and it happens for you. You dont have to pretend that Barbie can sit in that bright pink car...she can actually bend her legs now...-- ok that was a bad example..lol. But back to the point, when I was a kid, we had to find ways to occupy ourselves. We played pretend and used our imaginations and read books...lots and lots of books. If we watched a movie, it was a special occasion and the whole family did it together. We spent hours out in the apple orchards making the coolest forts you could imagine. Kids today say..I'm bored, there's nothing to do but watch these dumb apples grow. I just think that the reason most kids are they way they are is because they have things FAR too easy...everything is done for them, so they tend to appreciate nothing. !!

JMO of course,

~AW

Lanna
September 23rd, 2003, 08:27 AM
ok i was a kid in the early 80's and most of this really applies to me, i built a secret hideout on waste land, a go cart with now breaks (i have the scars to prove it :lol: ) no mobile phone.........when my mum wanted me to come in from playing to have dinner, she would stick her head out of the window and shout for me to get inside, can you believe things were that quiet and my address at the time was LONDON!! I havn't lost my imagination tho, im mad for the best part of the day, i will only get out of bed for my son if he slays the evil dragon protecting the door and wakes me from my 1000 years of sleep and then we feast on honey on toast! lol ok my point is.....i'm trying really hard to get my son to be imaginative and improvise! i agree with AW, everything is done for them now, I'm scared to be my grandmothers age and look back on how fast things have changed since i was a kid playing in the park and fighting with the boys! :rolleyes:

Danustouch
September 23rd, 2003, 05:11 PM
Heh..wanderer..yeah..that was a gender devision wasn't it? However, most of the kids I knew when I was myself a kid, WERE devided in that way. Boys wouldn't be caught dead playing with a cabbagepatch kid unless it was to mangle, torture, and hang it upside down by its toes, and the girls thought playing with trucks was boring.

The only time I ever played with my brothers matchbox cars, is when he got the "Dukes of Hazard" set, and I would play Daisy Duke.....

VelvetBlade
September 23rd, 2003, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=Nallia]

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of parents bailing us out if we got in trouble in school or broke a law was unheard of.! They actually sided with the school or the law. Imagine that!
QUOTE]

I LOVE that one....can you imagine....responsible for our own actions and for the choices that we made....tsk ..tsk...tsk...oh the abuse we endured..lmao

VelvetBlade
September 23rd, 2003, 05:16 PM
I havn't lost my imagination tho, im mad for the best part of the day, i will only get out of bed for my son if he slays the evil dragon protecting the door and wakes me from my 1000 years of sleep and then we feast on honey on toast! lol ok my point is.....i'm trying really hard to get my son to be imaginative and improvise! i agree with AW, everything is done for them now, I'm scared to be my grandmothers age and look back on how fast things have changed since i was a kid playing in the park and fighting with the boys! :rolleyes:
What a wonderful thing to do!...I'm going to have to borrow that, if you don't mind. My Dylan would love it...

~AW

AradiaSupernova
September 28th, 2003, 10:12 PM
I was born in 85 and grew up in the 90's. Even I can relate to this. I used to go out and start playing around 8 in the morning and you wouldn't see me until lunch time, which took 30 minutes at the most, and then back out again. Then again at dinner, which took an hour because Mom and Dad wanted time to spend with us kids, then back out until the sun went down. I crashed bikes on purpose, jumped off rocks, collected baby tree frogs and let them escape in my room, and made friends with kids my age that had enough imagination as me to take a piece of siding off the side of the house during a winter day and make a fort underneath it to stay warm when we wanted to play. lol :) It is sad the way kids are growing up now. Heck, even me at 18 am still getting it. I don't go out and "play" anymore like I used to. I use my computer more than anything else. But still..it sucks that the younger generations are missing out on so much :/

FeatherGoblinglimmer
September 29th, 2003, 05:56 AM
It is such a shame that kids can't go out and play safely anymore. I hope that where we move to next year will be a little better than where we are now, and that my daughter grows up to have the chance to play out. As it is she is a real sociable baby and i woul hate to see that crushed cos she can't play.

Faery-Wings
September 29th, 2003, 06:54 AM
It is such a shame that kids can't go out and play safely anymore. I hope that where we move to next year will be a little better than where we are now, and that my daughter grows up to have the chance to play out. As it is she is a real sociable baby and i woul hate to see that crushed cos she can't play.
Kids today have no imagination...everything is done for them. You don't have to pretend and imagine the fire truck is full of lights and sound...just push the button and it happens for you.This is one of my pet peeves.Why does everythiung have to come with batteries and a button? A few years ago, I was babysitting a freinds son who was a year older than mine. He picked up some Pooh Bear hand puppets that my son had out. The biy puts it on his hand, looks at it puzzled and says to me, "How do you make it talk?" How sad thathe had no concept of a puppet- that you make talk.

It is sad that we don't live in a place or age that lets the kids play outside all hours unsupervised. Or even that this society lets the children have the *time* to play like that. My other huge pet peeve is all of these after school activites. My kids are signed up for one activity each. Cait has gymnastics (and Daisy's but that is one day a month and with me). Scott has karate. And that is it. I see all of these other kids who have music and sports and Scouts. And these kids' sports practices! My friends's son in in second grade and in Pee wee football. He has practices almost every night and a game every weekend. For soemone who is 8, that seems like way too much.
Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now.........

*edited for spelling errors