PDA

View Full Version : fishy problem

Heatherly
September 23rd, 2003, 11:19 PM
Does anyone know of a good way to raise the ph, in a fish tank? Without using chemicals?
My tank is running low, and i hate to use chemical treatments. HELP.....

Ahautenites
September 24th, 2003, 12:10 AM
Yep. Clean your tank. :) Use a siphon-action gravel cleaner and clean at least half of the gravel. That will remove some of the detritus that is building up and possibly wreaking havoc with your nitrate cycle as well as giving you a reason to do a partial water change in your tank.

If your fish are starting to show bloody fins, you will need to do this cleaning/water change immediately, or your fish will die of acidosis.

Ahautenites
September 24th, 2003, 12:16 AM
And remember: Try to use water that has been aged to replace the water you siphon off. (Aged water is water that has been left to sit in a very clean gallon water jug for two to three days before put into your tank. This lessens the amount of active chlorine in the water. Chlorine kills fish.)

jcldragon
September 24th, 2003, 02:19 AM
I'm not sure what kind of fish you have. Salt water or fresh water?

I have goldfish. I add bacteria to the water. The bacteria break down the ammonia & nitrates & nitrites. My goldfish stopped dying, when I stopped cleaning the rocks. That was several years ago. I get my water from a water store down the street. I used to put my tap water through a double cycle of two Britta water filters, but Britta stopped making the replacement filters for their countertop units, so now I'm back to buying water from a water store.

Scarlettvixen
September 24th, 2003, 06:46 AM
huh i have 6 gold fish
i never clean their pot
it has a pum and i clean the filter in it when i remember (once a month or so) the fish dont die, they r active healthy and are now breeding
when the pot gets low (Water level) i stick the hose in and fill up!

Ahautenites
September 24th, 2003, 08:55 AM
**nods** A few more questions to ask are: how many fish do you have, what size is the tank, and (if the fish are not saltwater, which I'm assuming they're not, because otherwise, you'd probably know more about fish than most people do and therefore not need to ask the question) are the fish tropical (like guppies, cichlids, and gouramies) or temperate (like white cloud minnows and goldfish)? How much do you feed them? What food do you feed them? Are there live plants in the tank? Do you use a box filter or a power filter or an undergravel filter? What temperature do you keep your tank at? What is the normal pH of water in your area? Do you use tap water or bottled? Do you use larger (cheaper) charcoal, or the tiny charcoal bits that come in the package (they're more expensive and are used in power filters, but they have more surface per inch than the larger stuff and are thus far more effective)?

There are just so many factors to consider in diagnosing a potential problem.

And for the record, I agree with jcldragon about the rock cleaning. There are eubacterial colonies that live in your tank all over the place that are supposed to do the job of maintaining the tank's balance and they shouldn't be completely eradicated by a cleaning. That was why I suggested only cleaning half of the tank, not the whole thing. This leaves behind enough bacteria to continue to do the work, while also removing the mulm buildup.

For those that do not have to clean their tank and still have fish that live, I applaud you for a job well done. It's difficult to get all of the aquarium factors just right so that everything is in balance so that you don't have to constantly keep things from going out of whack.