PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian Pantheon

reanna
June 21st, 2001, 02:22 AM
My daughter(5) has expressed extreme interest in Egyptian Pantheon. Well, I decide to go hopping through the interent on a surf and pull up a few sites to be able to provide the mythology and stories behind what she is interested. Sounds like an easy task, right?? Not so easy.
I always check more than a few sites when I am looking for info, because I want to make sure that it's all on the level. So, what did I find?? Many sites that had similiar info or so far off base from one another my head is still spinning.
Well, I am reaching to any or all of you for help. Can you recommend a reliable site for info? Do you have any info you could provide?
She really likes Isis, Anubis, Ra, and Nephthys. Now, if I remember correctly, Ra is the Sun God(please correct me if I am wrong and I apologise if I offened with my lack of knowledge)and I had told her that. So, she asks me if one of them is the Moon Goddess? Told her I would see what I could find out. Which is what lead me on this search and then to beg you all for help. ****please,please,please......with great gobs of whip cream and a huge cherry on top.*****
I am really excited that she has expressed such an interest in learning, that I don't want to discourage her by not being able to get the info.

(((((((hugs)))))))))) to all of you in advance for saving my buns!!
It is so very, truly appreciated!!

Merrie
June 21st, 2001, 09:43 AM
Right now, all I can think of is the encyclopedia mythica, which is great, but I'll tell you if I come up with another one.
Best of luck!

Merrie
June 26th, 2001, 03:00 PM
At www.mothergoddess.com I found a sky goddess...

"Nut---Ancient Egyptian Sky Goddess with Her body arched over the world forming the vault of the heavens, protecting the Earth
beneath. Often represented as a woman with elongated body, touching the Earth with only toes and fingertips, while her
star-spangled belly forms the arch of the heavens. Mother Goddess personifying the Night Sky."

And I believe Au Set is Lady of the Moon

"Au Set - Whom the Greeks called Isis - Oldest of the Old, from Whom all things arose, Eternal Savior of the race of men. She
was the Egyptian throne, the pharaohs sat on her lap, protected by Her arms or wings. She was worshipped throughout the
Greco-Roman world as well as in Egypt where She was known as Au Set. Lady of the Moon, Mother of the Crops. Offerings of
baskets of grain, guarded by sacred serpent. Swallow was sacred to Her. Sycamore Her sacred tree. Bloodstone and turquoise
Her sacred stones. Exceeding Queen. Tamarisk tree, Water lily sacred to Her. The One Who is All held dominion over life and
death, marriage, healing, handicrafts and writing, fertility and immortality. Daughter of Nut, the Sky and Geb, the Earth, She was
born in the swamp land of the Nile. The ankh is the symbol of the union of AuSet (Isis) and Osiris. Her wings and solar disc
nestled between lunar bovine horns denotes Her protection of the Pharaohs (the male spirit) and Her promise of rebirth."

Mairwen
June 26th, 2001, 04:49 PM
I know a woman who painted an image of Nut on her bedroom wall. It was totally stunning1

reanna
June 28th, 2001, 03:42 AM
Thanks so much Mairwen!!! My dd Brooke thanks you greatly too:):D:)

reanna
June 28th, 2001, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Mairwen
I know a woman who painted an image of Nut on her bedroom wall. It was totally stunning1

That sounds stunning! What an excellent idea!
Any chance of posting a pic?? :):):)

Isis
July 4th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Hello! I've chosen the Egyptian way as my pantheon, and thus far it has been very difficult to find things on the subject.

However, I can tell you that Isis is the moon goddess. In the Egyptian pantheon she is the embodiement of the tripple goddess. I find when I meditate and call upon her, my visualizations are much stronger, and I'm more self assured....dunno why, but she works for me as well.

Also, if you check into books my Janet and Stuart Ferrar, such as the Witches' Goddess and the Witches God you should find some interesting and useful information.

Lots of luck and love,

Isis

rain
July 4th, 2001, 07:03 PM
MM reana,

I too would recommend the Enclyclopedia Mythica,

here's a working link (I hope!)

http://www.pantheon.org/mythica.html

BB rain

reanna
July 5th, 2001, 04:19 AM
Thanks again for the help. Now if I could possibly trouble for one more teeny teeny thing??? Please, pretty please???

Brooke has to know exactly what color her wings are. If I remember, I think they are a combo of blue and red. Is that right?
She refuses to color the picture of her Beautiful Moon Goddess until she knows exactly what she looks like. (sound like a perfectionist to you?) she can drive me crazy sometimes! I just love her~ :D:D:D