PDA

View Full Version : Allergic Cats

Flar's Freyja
October 5th, 2003, 01:23 AM
No, I'm not talking about being allergic to cats - apparently I have some allergic cats! Not something we often think about.

When we brought Possum to the vet for his first visit, we asked about his eyes frequently having gunk in them as well as boogers in his nose and were told that he probably had allergies! I didn't know that cats could have allergies! He said there wasn't anything we needed to do, but we do clean his eyes and nose when he'll let us.

Today I woke up with my eyes on fire and the pollen alert is very high - and I noticed that Pouncy had quite a bit of gunk in her eyes, so I'm wondering if she's also allergic.

Has anyone dealt with this with your cats or dogs? What do you do for them?

Jenne
October 5th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Sorry, Hon. Wish I could help you. We had a cat once with blocked tear ducts, but not allergies. *pesky allergies go away vibes* for all of you!

Flar's Freyja
October 5th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Sorry, Hon. Wish I could help you. We had a cat once with blocked tear ducts, but not allergies. *pesky allergies go away vibes* for all of you!

Oh, but that does help! Maybe that's Pouncy's problem. She's had this before but I never noticed that it was at the same time that my own allergies were up.

mothwench
October 5th, 2003, 10:23 AM
our dog, lucky, was a stray puppy we found on a spanish motorway. my parents have a house there, and we frequently go down there for holidays and take lucky and the others along. in spain, she gets really bad pinkeye and it doesn't go away until a couple of days after we return home. the vet in spain (she's very good) says its the sap from the pine trees, (the house is in a small pine wood) lucky is allergic to it. but there was really nothing she could do about it.
my cat had one dodgy eye, due to chronic bronchitis. the vet prescribed drops for him, and i looked at the pack and found the main active ingredient was eyebright (in latin, can't remember it now.) which is a herb you can get at most tea suppiers. look it up in any witchy herbal. when the drops were empty, (they were quite expensive) i switched to giving him eye-washes with a cotton pad (not cotton ball, they're to fluffy) dipped in a strong eyebright infusion. he cooperated quite well, better than with the drops. the eye never completely healed, but it prevented it from getting worse, actually it got a little better.
that help?
bb, from the mothwench

Flar's Freyja
October 5th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Yes, a friend of mine made up an infusion that includes eyebright, but she can't remember what else she put in it! It's also suitable for human use as an eyedrop. I have washed out strays' eyes with it and had them clear up within a day (my son affectionately calls me the "frikkin wiccan animal doctor") I've used this on Pouncy in the past and while she isn't crazy about the process, it has gotten better. It just didn't occur to me that allergies may be the cause until her eyes bothered her when mine were also bothering me.

With Possum, we just clean out the crust and he seems to be fine.

zakzekezedd
October 5th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Regrettably our kitty cat friends are as plagued with allergies as us humans are. I have one cat that has always had chronic upper respiratory allergies and yucky eyes. My vet suggested a half tablet of the weakest strength of chlortrimaton (?) every other day to control the symptoms. It works pretty well, but he still has problems when the mold counts are really high. Apparently, "blocked" tear ducts aren't that uncommon in cats. I had a lovely little cat with very yucky eyes many years ago. The vet was going to "unblock" the tear ducts when I had him neutered, but apparently, the poor cat had no tear ducts at all and that was why he had the problem. He was still a sweetie, even if I had to "wash" his face for him every morning...

Amethyst Rose
October 6th, 2003, 01:04 AM
My dog's allergic to...something... my guess is wasps. The vet told me to give him benadryl if he gets stung... not sure if that would work with cats :).

steven_the_fat_cat
November 30th, 2004, 12:25 AM
I have a question my boyfriend just moved into his own place and got his first real X-Mas tree, and I believe his 15 year old cat, who has never been near a real pine tree is allergic. Is that even possible.

ap Dafydd
December 2nd, 2004, 08:44 AM
Certainly is possible. We had a cat who used to get a bout of conjunctivitis every spring which we always put down to an allergy. Other kind of allergy is that some cats will get a bad reaction to flea bites and get eczema.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred