PDA

View Full Version : Bonsai baby!!!

Semele
February 13th, 2001, 10:55 PM
Allright green thumbs... urgent help needed. I purchased a Bonsai for Mol for Valentine's day. Expensive little buggers! I got him one that is seven years old (the number of years we have been together) and looks like the tree of life. Very pretty and I want it to stay that way! The man who sold it to me gave me a small info sheet that is...vague to say the least. I plan to look around online for tips, but thought some of you may have some experience with them. It is a Japanese juniper Evergreen. Tell me all you know!!!
Semele

belladonna23
February 14th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Hi, Semele.
I don't know anything about bonsai except that they are really beautiful. I found a link to a really nice website, it seems informative and has lots of tips for beginners. http://www.bonsaiweb.com/ Hopefully, it will be of help to you. Best of luck!

Semele
February 14th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Thank you very much for your help. I will check it out as soon as I can sit up for longer than five minutes without feeling nauseated. i don't know whats wrong with me today.
Semele

eaglewolf
February 14th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Semele
without feeling nauseated. i don't know whats wrong with me today.
Semele

It is the "nation bug" for 2001. We (at home) have all had it... seems to last for about 3 days.

Not much comfort, just thought I'd share. :)

~ew

Unless of course you are pregnant. :eek:

Mol has had alot of headaches lately...

Semele
February 14th, 2001, 05:36 PM
I hope it is not a 3 day bug since I have to go to work tonight. The latter wouldn't be bad...we are sort of trying for that anyway. But I was never sick with our son so its probably the dreaded bug. Darn!!!

Anyway...wish us luck!
Semele

eaglewolf
February 14th, 2001, 05:39 PM
I WISH YOU LUCK!

:D

mol
February 16th, 2001, 11:51 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh! :D

MoonOverGeorgia
February 18th, 2001, 07:25 AM
About the Bonsai...just show it love and it will stay with you for a very, very long time. i have one that has just had its 29th birthday!

Semele
February 18th, 2001, 08:58 PM
Ok the love part we can handle...just don't wanna over love it if you know what I mean. Is yours inside? Do you put it outside sometimes? how much? Help????

Semele

mol
February 21st, 2001, 10:49 AM
He is browning a little...dont know what to do! Its too cold to put him outside. Help...anyone?

Litha
February 21st, 2001, 11:29 AM
did the person that sold it to you explain that the bonsai must be soaked instead of watered?
Watering it will not help at all and the plant will brown and die ):
Soak that baby!
I mean place in a sink with water to cover it to the base of the stalk and allowed to sit and soak.
The drain all the water out and let the plant drain in the sink. I used to water mine every 4 days this way.
Then I gifted them to someone who did not do this and they are sadly brown twigs now.

Semele
February 21st, 2001, 04:02 PM
We are soaking him. I think he may need some fresh air but like Mol said it is still pretty cold around here. any ideas??

Semele

Rosabelle
February 22nd, 2001, 06:00 AM
all i know about bonsai trees are that they keep realluy small and their shape by you pruning them a lot. or is that another tree?? please correct me if i'm wrong!

BrightStar
February 22nd, 2001, 04:01 PM
Hi all!
You're right,Rosabelle,they're really small.You prune the roots as well as the leaves.
Semele,be careful not to over water it.They're sensitive little things.
We've had a few Bonsai(s) over the years and I must admit I'm not very good with them.The one I have now I've had for about 2 years and it's kind of sickly.One thing that's true with all plants is when you move them,they kind of go into shock.So you want to settle on a place with lots of good sunlight and leave it there.Let it get used to its' new surroundings.
I wish I knew more!
Peace and Love
Rain BrightStar

Semele
February 22nd, 2001, 05:59 PM
Did I fail to mention we live in a dungeon?? Well looks like it anyway. Dark, Dark place even with the shades up. HHHMMMM maybe he will last until warmer weather where he can hang out on the porch.

Semele

mol
February 23rd, 2001, 03:41 PM
Its strange...he is getting new growth but some of his undercarriage is a little brown. i dont know really what to make of it...

Semele
February 23rd, 2001, 04:07 PM
Undercarriage??? Is that an official term I just haven't read about yet Sweetie??

Hey Kiss my undercarriage!!!

Semele

Trevi
February 23rd, 2001, 05:05 PM
I have 3 bonsai trees. It's sort of a hobby with me. Soaking is the way you should water them. He does need sunlight, but he doesn't need a lot as long as its cold. I have a juniper that is now 9 years old that I also bought when it was 7. It is sparse right now as it is very cold up here (massachusetts). Juniper is a winter tree. It needs to hibernate in the winter or else it will die. But, if you put it outside it will die of root exposure. Do you have an unheated basement, enclosed porch or some other place that is enclosed but not heated? Thats the best for bonsai that need to hibernate. My juniper is in the front hall of our apartment building. There is a window out there but the glass is green... perfect amount of light for a wintering juniper bonsai.
In the summer, you will not believe how green it gets! but dont worry if it's brown right now. take a look outside at some natural junipers. They are rather brown too. It's just because they are sleeping.

GOOD LUCK!

LaDaya
March 22nd, 2001, 10:50 AM
I have a fern bonsai and two bamboo. When I kept them at work they did so well and were staying really healthy, but after I lost my job and took them home I have had to battle to keep them alive. I don't think they really like the apt very much. Soon I plan on bringing them to my new job I just wanted to make sure I was going to have it for awhile because it is a pain in the you know what to lug them here and then lug them back home. The type you have liked to be sprayed with water as well. Get like a mister and mist them every day but only water them every few days. And give them partial sunlight like from a window or keep them close to a light that is on for several hours.

Semele
March 23rd, 2001, 10:55 AM
Well ours spent the afternoon outside because it has been absolutely beautiful here. He enjoyed it I think. He is looking great. I talk to him, no singing as I want him to thrive not kill over!! I think he is doing fine. Keeping my fingers crossed of course!! Thanks for all the great tips!!

Semele

mol
March 26th, 2001, 09:03 PM
And he is growing like a weed!