PDA

View Full Version : Medusa a Goddess?

mystic_ebony
June 23rd, 2001, 03:23 PM
I always related to Medusa, and decided to honour her as my Goddess, but recently why chatting online to some other pagans, they laughed at me and said I couldn't have her as my Goddess as she was a Mythical being. So I ask you now, can I have her as a Goddess, or wouldn't it work?
Blessed Be,
Mystic Ebony

Mairwen
June 23rd, 2001, 05:53 PM
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/m/medusa.html

Medusa
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the Gorgons, and the only one who was mortal. Her gaze could turn whoever she looked upon to stone. There is a particular myth in which Medusa was originally a beautiful maiden. She desecrated Athena's temple by lying there with Poseidon. Outraged, Athena turned Medusa's hair into living snakes.

Medusa was killed by the hero Perseus with the help of Athena and Hermes. He killed her by cutting of her head and gave it to Athena, who placed it in the center of her Aegis, which she wore over her breastplate.

From Medusa's dead body the giant Chrysaor and the winged horse Pegasus, her son by Poseidon, sprang forth.

zoeslug
June 26th, 2001, 03:59 AM
The line between mythical beings and deities is rather fuzzy in Classical mythology--Hercules was worshipped by the Romans, for example. There's no reason why you shouldn't honor Medusa as a goddess if you feel a connection to her.

Amethyst Rose
June 26th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by zoeslug
Hercules was worshipped by the Romans, for example. There's no reason why you shouldn't honor Medusa as a goddess if you feel a connection to her.

Actually, Hercules/Heracles was worshiped as a hero, rather than a diety. That's where the phrase "hero worship" comes from, if I'm not mistaken. We had a whole section on it in my "ancient religions" class in university.
I do agree, however, that you can worship whomever and whatever you feel is right for you. Never let anyone tell you your beliefs are wrong.

Merrie
June 26th, 2001, 02:42 PM
My new favorite website (besides here, of course) is www.mothergoddess.com
Here's what I found...

"Medusa - Serpent Goddess of the Libyan Amazons, representing Female Wisdom."

She is a goddess in history as well as just to you. :)

mystic_ebony
June 28th, 2001, 09:18 AM
I'm so happy now! I felt really hurt when I was told my beliefs were wrong as I felt a really connection with Medusa, because I used to be a dancer, good at sports and a child model, then I was invovled in a hit and run accident where I was left scared, and hurt and I really identified with her loss of her beauty and I loved what she stood for!
Blessed be,
Mystic Ebony

Mairwen
June 28th, 2001, 09:56 AM
One thing I've learned on the Path ~ never, never let anyone tell you your beliefs are wrong! IMHO, anybody who would do such a thing to someone deserves to be smacked in the head. :( PEOPLE! *grrr*

Dria El
June 29th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Yeah! What she said!

:D

Myst
July 12th, 2001, 02:07 AM
here, here, Mairwen!!!!

Nect
March 17th, 2002, 08:59 AM
mystic_ebony, I have begun to feel Medusa calling me, too...I haven't found too much on her, but so far, this is the most detailed piece I found about her:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/classes/finALp.html

Do you know of other websites about Medusa?

Nect

Danustouch
March 17th, 2002, 12:55 PM
*On the Topic of hero worship verses God/Goddess worship*

Just look at the Celtic Pantheon. Many of the Irish Hero's are also worshipped by various sects :) And within the Celtic Pantheon, many of the figures whom evolved to be worshipped, were at one time believed to be real mortals. And personally, since I believe that each of us, ARE in essence God and Goddess (meaning we have the nature of devinity within us), Why Not? If devinity in any shape calls, follow:) That's my belief :)

Mnemosyne
March 17th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Nect, I don't know of any websites about Medusa off-hand. However, the Perseus Project website which you have found is an EXCELLENT website when researching the Greek and Roman civilizations. Just out of curiosity, why have you suddenly felt a connection to Medusa?

Danustouch, You made such an wonderful point by stating that we all have the nature of divinity within us. How did mortals in Celtic myth eventually become to be worshipped? I have an immense amount to learn about Celtic mythology, so I am intrigued. I know Greek mythology pretty well. In Greek mythology, some of the mortals whom later became to be worshipped usually had a divine parent. In my opinion, these mortals possessed an attribute that the Greeks highly valued, strength, or in the case of mortals such as Ganymede, Psyche or Adonis, beauty. Once again, I totally agree with you that we all have an essense of the gods and goddesses in us. If we did not, why else would the immortals fall in love or interfere in the lives of the mortals?

Danustouch
March 17th, 2002, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "How did they COME to be worshiped". I'm guessing....merely guessing...that individual clans, tribes, families,towns, etc..probably identified with a specific hero, and somehow that evolved into identifying with him/her as a "protector" and that they might even "pray" to that protector to guard their homes/villages, etc.

Mnemosyne
March 17th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Yes, Danustouch, I think that you answered my question. To clarify my question, I was just wondering how a mortal would attain god-like status in Celtic mythology. I could see how a family, tribe, community, etc. would begin would see these heroes as "protectors." I would think that these heroes would boost the pride of the community also, since communities and/or families could boast that this great hero was related to a family or associated with the area. I read up a little on Celtic mythology and noticed that some of these mortals were worshipped because they had enchanting powers, great leadership qualities and/or great skill in battle. So I guess that those who aren't dieties can still give spirtual guidance.

Nect
March 17th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Mnemosyne wrote
Just out of curiosity, why have you suddenly felt a connection to Medusa?
I've always loved Greek mythology, and as a kid, I didn't like the image of Medusa at all. She freaked me out all right. Lately, the name 'Hekate' has been reverberating in my head, so loudly it sounded that I *had* to find information about Her. And at the gate of an online Temple of Hekate was the head of a gorgon - I felt uneasy at first (the compulsion to just click "next" and move on), but I lingered and gazed at the face. The image of gorgons as ugly and evil (from the Greek myths that I knew) faded, and I felt a blanket of protection wrapped around me as I continued to look at the gorgon head. She embodied a kind of power that I had never realized, and so off I went to do some net search about her. The more I read (which isn't a lot still! But I'm trying to find more info!), the more satisfied I got as I went, "Yes! I *knew* gorgons weren't this and that." But the specific connection to Medusa, I would say that it's simply because I know of Her the best out of the three gorgons!

What made me feel the connection is the very idea that She (Medusa, or the other gorgons) empowered me to lift the veil of accepted ugliness to discover both beauty and a history that not everyone sees.

Nect

Mnemosyne
March 18th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Nect, I particularly asked you why you were drawn to Medusa, because like you, I used to become frightened from hearing the Medusa story when I was a kid. You explained why you were drawn to her quite well. She can't be all that scary, can she? After all, don't some myths say that Poseidon was not scared of her and even a fathered her child? The myth does teach me something too. Although there are many stories about Medusa, I follow the story that she was once a beautiful woman. She became somewhat vain and tried to compare her beauty to that of Athena's. For this reason, Athena turned her into a monster. Based on this myth, I learn that vanity can be bad, and modesty is more desirable. So I see no reason why you or others should be drawn to the power of Medusa.

Nect
March 18th, 2002, 10:01 PM
I first mistakened it to be a patron Goddess kind of connection, but then I had this dream that basically told me, "Nah-uh, you were drawn to gorgons for other reasons" and I knew it was to learn a lesson.

It's myths like these (and the desire to look up more info about them) that remind us to look further - without taking that extra step, that doesn't even demand *that* much extra effort, we would deny ourselves to the truth that we have the potential to behold. I have read a few (not a lot, though) different stories that surround Medusa. What gave me the 'lesson-to-learn' feeling was to have read that Medusa most probably originated as the Libyan Snake Goddess...the changes that people have made to the myths have greatly distorted the image of a once highly revered Goddess into that of such ugliness and evil that its face would (only?) serve best on armor, shields, and temple entrances to avert evil.

...then again, I'm no scholar in Greek Mythology nor that of other cultures that may have influenced the ugly portrayal of Medusa....

Nect

Kadynas
March 26th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Don't let anyone tell you you're wrong, MysticEbony. I had some laugh at me when I told them my "main two" deities were Eros & Psyche. I guess some people didn't read the part where Psyche was granted immortality, or her "goddess-hood" if you will, so that her and Eros would remain together for all time. (Eros representing love, Psyche representing soul, among other things) It's a beautiful story that really spoke to the deeper parts of me. I think that's what matters most...that it's something you can apply to your own life in a meaningful way. :D

Mnemosyne
March 26th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Exactly, Kadynas. I think that if a figure inspires you and helps you find meaning in life, then a person should have the right to be drawn to him or her. I think that it is so lovely that your two main dieties are Psyche and Eros. Yes, Psyche was granted immortality. In contrast, I believe that Medusa was only a mortal while the other two Gorgons were immortal. Has anyone else come across this information?

Jeleia
July 5th, 2002, 02:19 AM
Here are some sites I found :

http://www.geocities.com/tmartiac/thalassa/medusa.htm

http://www.medusaproject.com/about/myth.html

http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/druid/361/goddess/goddess.html

http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/a_f/bogan/medusamyth.htm

:)

Mnemosyne
July 6th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Great sites, Akasha. :) I had no idea about that there was a medusaproject site. I did know about perseus.tufts.edu. If you want to find out information about classical antiquity, I can't praise it enough.

Mnemosyne
August 15th, 2002, 05:47 PM
I was just reading Gallagher's The Way of the Goddess. She discusses that people do work with the Gorgon/Medusa in goddess spirituality. The Gorgon teach people that it is all right to be angry when injustices occur. Also, they tell us not to feel guilty when we get angry; it is ok if we exhibit our anger in the correct way.

Wicce
August 16th, 2002, 03:25 PM
I think it's great how you love Medusa so much, and never ever let anyone tell you it's wrong. Everyone who is educated should understand that no one way is right and everyone has their own unique things.

I've always loved Medusa, though I could never figure out why. She's strong, and powerful...

I'm glad to see people supporting her... :)

jelly.belly
August 17th, 2002, 07:11 PM
I think it's great too!! :)
You have the right to believe in her if you feel she is connected with you somehow, and i believe that she is actually taken like a Goddess in some books, and i found a website the other day talking about her and thought of this thread, but i can't remember the link....

Mnemosyne
August 19th, 2002, 05:05 PM
After writing on this thread, Medusa has become less intimidating for me. I realized how powerful she can be. To be honest, I still find her a little scary. I think that it is a sign to face up to my own fears though. We can learn a valuable lesson from this thread. A goddess does not need to be one of the important Olympians like Demeter, Hera,...etc. to be considered important. There are many lesser known deities who affect our lives each day.

athena_xoxo
September 18th, 2002, 05:35 AM
woshiping medusa??? this is a first for me...i've never heard of medusa calling to anybody, yet i find this very interesting and is making me really think...how do you determine who it's okay to worship and who isn't?...i always thought that medusa wasn't a goddess...according to all the greek mythology that i've read...but i also agree that you should be allowed to worship whoever you feel connected to...i don't think that it was right that people laughed at you when you said that you worship medusa...they're laughing at your beliefs, and that's just wrong...that's just like if someone laughs at you for being a wiccan and believing in magick...

Gwion
September 18th, 2002, 07:16 PM
This might explain a lot of my relationship problems. But seriously, I have a brass rubbing of Medusa that I made at a Renaissance Faire; she is depicted as having a fearsome, stern countenance, but you can still see her beauty. Her face adorns Athena's shield, the Aegis. To me, she has always personified the hunger for justice against terrible injustice, such as was done her by Poseidon and Athena. Her story seems to portray the way some women are demonized when they are actually victims, in order to discount the crime and pardon the criminal. The feeling I get from her is similiar to the energy of the Furies and the Sphinx.

Mnemosyne
September 18th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Gwion
To me, she has always personified the hunger for justice against terrible injustice, such as was done her by Poseidon and Athena. Her story seems to portray the way some women are demonized when they are actually victims, in order to discount the crime and pardon the criminal. The feeling I get from her is similiar to the energy of the Furies and the Sphinx.

Exactly! I was trying to point out that many people who have suffered through injustices are drawn to Medusa. She has great power in myth; and today, people still feel her power.

I really never considered her a goddess, Athena_xoxo, until I started reading this thread. I see how she means so much to some of us. We must not overlook how some heroic mortals and minor deities play such an important part in our lives. After all, they give us guidance and somewhere to turn. If you feel comfortable honoring Medusa or an individual like Medusa reverence, then, you should do so. They gave us hope. :)

xblue420x
October 10th, 2002, 03:37 AM
I'm new to paganism as of about 6 months ago.. at the moment I'm still searching and waiting for the 'sign' of my gods and goddesses. When I was in 6th grade I studied Greek Mythology for a couple of months. The entire time I felt some connection with Medusa. I think she was always my favorite of all the old myths. I never saw her as ugly or evil, which most people in the class thought was odd, as well as myself. Since a little bit before I started looking for my path(say about 8-11 months ago) Medusa has popped into my head alot. I, like many others, never thought of her as a goddess, though. I'm still not sure why I've always felt so connected to her, and now that I've learned this and looked up the sites mentioned, I feel even more connected. Would this be that 'sign' I was waiting for?

Mnemosyne
October 10th, 2002, 06:15 PM
MM, xblue420x! :sunny: Yes, I think that it is a sign that you are drawn to Medusa. Like you, I really never thought of Medusa as a goddess. This thread really made me change my opinion of Medusa as well as some other figures in Greek mythology. We don't always have to work with the "main" Greek deities. For example, we can look to other figures who aren't goddesses such as Cassandra, Penelope, etc. and god/desses who play minor roles in the Greek pantheon. I would say that you should follow your natural instinct and learn more about Medusa. In my opinion, it is a sign that Medusa has been popping into your head a lot.

xblue420x
October 10th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Alright, this one doesn't really have much to do with Medusa, but I'ma ask anyway.. I can worship gods/goddesses from different areas right?? I've been extremely drawn to Celtic and other Scottish/Irish gods. And also I think Native American(although from which traditions I don't know) and alot of other gods from different traditions. Most things I read say that the person or group worships the same traditions gods. So I just want to make sure that it wouldn't matter if I was worshiping say, Medusa, Cerridwen, and Hina(or any other goddesses from multiple religions)

Mnemosyne
October 10th, 2002, 07:45 PM
No, it doesn't matter. Many people will work with deities from various pantheons. For example, a person may work with Freyja from the Norse pantheon and Athena from the Greek pantheon. Personally, I only use the Greek pantheon, mainly because I don't feel that connection from other traditions as I do the Greek. However, you are a unique individual, so your spiritual beliefs should be unique as well. If you feel a connection with Medusa and Cerridiwen, then follow your instincts.

Oh by the way, there are a few threads in this forum on working with various pantheons. Check them out! They are a good read.

eclectica
October 27th, 2002, 02:11 AM
I too have been drawn to Medusa. I even named my computer after her. I never get a fear or bad feeling from her. I feel warm when i think of her.

Mnemosyne
September 23rd, 2003, 07:27 PM
Hey Greta! Have you read this thread? This is the thread that aI was just telling you about in which people debate whether a woman in myth is considered a goddess or not. It's a good read, so I recommend it.

Tammy Sullivan
September 24th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Thanks for bumping! I am reading it now....

Agaliha
October 11th, 2005, 07:14 PM
I remember seeing this thread and I stumbled across good site about Medusa.

Medusa, African Queen (http://shawnacohen.tripod.com/thetribaltraditions/id64.html)

A short Article (http://www.daykeeperjournal.com/aarch03/0312dec/goddess.shtml)

It's interesting.
I've always be facinated by her. I remember reading about her and having this little plastic Pegasus toy that you put in the freezer and it would turn colors and stuff. I loved that thing. I was suprised to find Medusa and the Pegasus were connected. :)

I think that even though in Greece she is not a "goddess" that doesn't mean she isn't. The Greeks, like all of Europe were colonized by Indo-European peoples. It is possible that the Medusa that we know is a remnant of some Goddess in the past.
So if anyone says Medusa is their Goddess, I don't see a problem with it. And it's really not my place to judge.

ETA: More links...I'm quite facinated by her now!
http://www.thanasis.com/store/medusa.htm
http://thaliatook.com/medusa.html
http://www.goddess.com.au/goddesses/Medussa.htm
http://www.paralumun.com/medusa.htm
http://www.sacredsource.com/prodinfo.asp?number=M&variation=&aitem=6&mitem=9 <--statue
http://gogreece.about.com/cs/mythology/a/blmythmedusa.htm
http://www.moonspeaker.ca/Amazons/losttribes.html
http://members.aol.com/ecclasia1/reflectionsofagoddess.html
http://monsters.monstrous.com/medusa.htm

aluokaloo
October 16th, 2005, 07:43 PM
My new favorite website (besides here, of course) is www.mothergoddess.com
Here's what I found...

"Medusa - Serpent Goddess of the Libyan Amazons, representing Female Wisdom."

She is a goddess in history as well as just to you. :)

How cool! I didn't know that Medusa is an African Goddess!

Theres
October 16th, 2005, 08:53 PM
maybe she's the 'Goddess of Revisionism'..

:rolleyes:

cinnamon
November 4th, 2005, 03:02 PM
There are two very good essays on Medusa as she relates to Athena and Metis as a Triple Goddess (Medusa being the crone/dark aspect). I can't recommend them high enough!

http://shedrums.com/Medusa.htm

The second one is black font on a bright red background so if you want to read it I'd suggest copy/pasting it somewhere else.

It's good info for Athena lovers looking for a more balanced view of the goddess as well.

If this has been posted before, my apologies.

Incendia
November 4th, 2005, 04:05 PM
;)

Agaliha
November 4th, 2005, 08:48 PM
I just found a new article about Medusa:

The Medusa (http://www.chaosmagic.com/forums/wyrdsistersco-about82.html)

:)