PDA

View Full Version : Guaranteed to Make you Cry

loopy
June 25th, 2001, 10:24 PM
Which songs do it for ya?

"Bookends/Old Friends" by Paul Simon gets me every time.
"Stand By Me" Ben E. King

Grr... now I can't think of any more.

MammaStar
June 25th, 2001, 10:40 PM
Well I can definitely say that a few songs by the good ol'Grateful Dead, can make me cry, those especially:

Stella Blue--Jerry just put sooo much emotion to this song, that you can't help but cry.
Attics of my Life --not only does it break my heart, cause I miss Jerry so (thank the gods for all my bootlegs), but it reminds me of a very, VERY dear friend of mine, who I miss sooooo much (doin' time right now)
Ripple --another song that just breaks my heart when I think of Jerry.

Then there's Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen. The song just hit home for me, especially the lyric"your graduation gown is in rags at your feet"

The Allmann Brothers "Midnight Rider and[COLOR=orange]I'm No Angel (Gregg Allmann technically) both make me cry, because these too remind me of my bestest buddy who's still in jail.

And I think, a last song that makes me get all sniffly is Unchained Melody because it reminds me of a friend of mine who left us waayyyyy too early (he was only 19) and that was his favorite song

Okay, I guess I went on a little too long. But that's what happens when I get going, especially in this forum!!!! :D

Mairwen
June 25th, 2001, 10:59 PM
"Never Say Goodbye" gets me ~ just call me a sap! It was my class song! Go Class of '87!! :D

Elton John's "The One" ~ we had that play at our handfasting last Summer.

Then there's that song out by that one guy that was popular in 1998. *durn!* :mad:

loopy
June 25th, 2001, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Mairwen
Then there's that song out by that one guy that was popular in 1998. *durn!* :mad:

Ah yes, that song. One of my favorites. :D

Mairwen
June 25th, 2001, 11:59 PM
I got out my journal from 1998 and looked. It was Brian McKnight, and the song was "Anytime".

Loopy, you're so funny! 8O

raevyncigany
June 26th, 2001, 12:20 PM
My wedding song "Don't Know Much" by Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville does it everytime for me...I started hearing this song when my now-husband and I had just started dating, so when we were married six years later, it had all the meaning a true wedding song was supposed to. *sigh* <grabs a tissue>

Other songs that get me weepy: Chain of Love (and I cannot remember the name of the artist who sings it), a country song that tells a story

:Beth by Kiss (it's just the last line...don't ask me why)

:Take Me Home by Phil Collins...well, it's Phil Collins and it's got a kick arse beat to it...

Oh there are a few more, and if and when I think of them, I'll type 'em up for ya :)

BB

Rae )0(

Armitage
June 26th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Fly by Moxy Fruvous
Playboy Mommy by Tori Amos
Apart by The Cure

These always get me a lil sniffy..

MammaStar
June 26th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Rvyn Cigny

:Beth by Kiss (it's just the last line...don't ask me why)

Rae )0(

I know what you mean about Beth, by Kiss. Depending on the time and place (and state of mind i'm in) when I hear that song, I can be weepy with it. I think most of the songs that make me sniffy all have to deal with losing someone. Like Beth. There was this girl named Susan, who hung out at the same club I did. We weren't close friends, but we knew each other. Well, one night, during a particular heavy rocking show, she was out with the boys, moshing and such, and one idiot grabbed her by her ponytail and SLAMMED her down onto the floor. She died. I didn't find out until a week later, when it got announced at the club. I was heartbroken, and the guys DJing at the club, played Beth for her.

didn't mean to bum anyone, Sorry if I did. :D

Mairwen
June 26th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Just goes to show that people don't think. What a tragedy. {{hugs}}

After seeing your tagline, I offer this picture:

MammaStar
June 26th, 2001, 09:53 PM
I LOVE that pic!!!!! "Crouching Kitty, Hidden Tail" hee hee hee.

I wonder how they got the kitties to stand like that long enough? hmmmm.

:D

eaglewolf
June 26th, 2001, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Rvyn Cigny
Other songs that get me weepy: Chain of Love (and I cannot remember the name of the artist who sings it), a country song that tells a story...

Well, the Name That Tune thread is going nowhere so I thought I would step in here and give this thread a try... LOL!

Clay Walker - Chain of Love

Sorry, I am going through name that tune withdrawls...

~ew

MammaStar
June 26th, 2001, 10:09 PM
I was clueless about your hint, tis why I didn't answer. :cool:

EasternPriest
June 27th, 2001, 10:58 PM
Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton

Softly I Must Leave You - recorded by several artists

Silver Venus
June 28th, 2001, 06:09 AM
'No Ordinary Love' by Sade
'Candle in the wind' by Elton John
hmm having a sad music block... Know all the words but not the song tiles or singers...

Love the piccie of the cats too :)

Celtic_Angel
June 30th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by EasternPriest
Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton

Softly I Must Leave You - recorded by several artists

Tears in Heaven gets to me pretty bad too. The other song is Christofori's Dream. I can't remember the artist. I'll have to get back to you on that. :p Anyways, it's purely intrumental and it got to me in a way that no words could.

SpikesPet5150
July 3rd, 2001, 11:50 PM
Stand By Me always gets to me, because it was played at my friends funeral in 8th grade. 8 years later and I still can't listen to it without bawling.

Never Say Goodbye by Bon Jovi gets to me too.. it reminds me of my sister and her x-boyfriend. I grew up with him being my "big brother" and then they broke up when I was 16.. it was kind of devestating to me, at that age, to have someone you admired so much be ripped away from you like that. We're still friends now, but at the time I thought I'd never see him again. And that song describes them pretty well.

It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday by Boys 2 men. Pretty much self explanatory.

"You needed me" by Anne Murray. It's just such a beautiful song, and the lyrics "I sold my soul, you bought it back for me." really touch me. I wish I could write like these people.
~Bree

raevyncigany
July 4th, 2001, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by SpikesPet5150
"You needed me" by Anne Murray. It's just such a beautiful song, and the lyrics "I sold my soul, you bought it back for me." really touch me.

Anything by Anne Murray gives me the warm fuzzies...turns out my mother-in-law used to babysit Anne when she was a teenager (my m-i-l, lol, not Anne!). Apparently she was a real brat too!

hehehe

BB

Rae )0(

random
July 13th, 2001, 01:55 PM
For me:

Break Your Heart - The Barenaked Ladies
Yellow - Coldplay
Drops of Jupitar - Train
Crawling - Linkin Park

These songs have a sorrow and need to them, they make me think of things that are happening now or have in the past. Really anything on The Barenaked Ladies' Born on a Pirate Ship album can make me cry...

Mariposa De La Luna
July 13th, 2001, 11:46 PM
Armitage, I know what you mean about Apart by the Cure. I haven't thought of that song in a long time.

American Pie by Don McClean until Wierd Al made his version, which is a good thing for me.

Worlds Wedding/One Single Kiss by Emerald Rose - It is so full of longing and then happiness that it always tugs at my heart.

Lavender
July 16th, 2001, 03:25 AM
Forever Young by Rod Stewart...it was playing on the car radio the day I came home from the hospital with my brand new son. :D

loopy
July 16th, 2001, 07:50 AM
Ooh, yeah, Forever Young! I forgot all about that one. I always think of Mel Gibson now when I hear that, so you'd think I wouldn't cry, but... ;) It's a sad, sad, song.

Danustouch
July 16th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Candle in the Wind..by Elton John (the diana version)

Annachi Gordon.

Who wants to live forever and Dust in the Wind- the Sarah Brightman versions.

10,000 miles- Mary Chapin Carpenter

John Doe #24 -Mary Chapin Carpenter.

10,000 oceans- Tori Amos

And a song off of a Celtic Collection that I have called Killkelly, Ireland.

MammaStar
July 16th, 2001, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by SpikesPet5150
Never Say Goodbye by Bon Jovi gets to me too.. it reminds me of my sister and her x-boyfriend. I grew up with him being my "big brother" and then they broke up when I was 16.. it was kind of devestating to me, at that age, to have someone you admired so much be ripped away from you like that. We're still friends now, but at the time I thought I'd never see him again. And that song describes them pretty well.

~Bree

I know what you mean about Never Say Goodbye. I usually have a good cry when I hear it too. My reasons, are because that came out when I was in high school. And every time I hear it, I think of the times I had with my big bro, my best friend, and my high school boyfriend. When that song came out, we were going through a time where it felt like it was just the 4 of us against the world. So I remember a time when my life was a whole lot simpler. The best part is, though we're all married (except me) to other people, we're all still best of friends, even after 12 years!

MammaStar
July 16th, 2001, 11:22 PM
I'm sitting here, and VH1 is doing the "20 Power Ballads" and I've come to realize that a few songs on there hit me real hard. I've cried over Motley Crue's Home Sweet Home, especially why my older bro was away from us for a long time. The Scorpians "Still loving u" (Lady Starlight is still their best!!!!). Sister Christian, cause it reminds me of my ex.

Gotta love that 80's big hair cheese! :D

loopy
July 19th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Ooh, and Sinead O Conner.. that song.. um.... oh, what is it?

beh.
Anyway. Sheryl Crow's "I Shall Believe" sometimes, and....

Oh! "Nothing Compares to You" and Sarah McLachlan's "Fear."

Sequoia
July 21st, 2001, 05:11 AM
when I'm lonely and missing my boyfriend, one song that makes me cry is our song, "Two Small of Pieces - Restored." it's from the videogame Xenogears, and it's a beautiful song. If anyone's interested, I'll post the lyrics.

one that hurts and makes me get angry is "I'll be right here waiting for you" by Richard Marx. I used to love that song, and I was in what I thought was a close relationship. The guy lived across the country and we could only really talk with instant messaging, but we were close (I thought) and I cared a lot about him, and we kind of became "boyfriend girlfriend." it was the first time I fell in love (it was puppy love, but still). And he had said it back to me too, "I love you." And I was all happy and excited, and "our song" was I'll be right here waiting for you. Well, one day I was talking with him and he came out and said "I thought I could do this at first but I just can't" in regards to having a long distance relationship. . .turns out it wasn't "real" to him. I'm very bitter over it even though I have a WONDERFUL boyfriend now whom I've been with nearly 10 months. Someday we're planning on getting married. But the song by richard marx always makes me very moody, it kinda opens a scar, you know?

err. . . well. . . now that I"ve been all bitter and stuffs. . . one song that I heard made me sob hard when I first heard it. "When Children Cry" by the White Lions.
"Little child, dry your crying eyes. How can I explain the fear you feel inside?
'Cause you were born into this evil world, where man is killing man, and no one knows just why. . .
What have we become, just look what we have done,
all that we destroyed you must build again. . .

When the children cry, let them know we tried,
'Cause when the children sing, then the new world begins. . ."

it goes on like that, but it made me break down sobbing and I had to turn it off after the first few verses. . . I was especially moody that night, but still, it's a sad/hopefull song. . .makes me cry.

Happydog
July 21st, 2001, 09:19 PM
"The Quiet Joys of Brotherhood" by Sandy Denny
"Farewell, Farewell" by Fairport Convention
"Songbird" by Emmylou Harris

loopy
July 21st, 2001, 09:23 PM
Puma Hime-- no one ever talks too much! In fact, the phrase "too much" does not exist in my vocabulary. :D Talk, talk, and then talk some more, I say!

Is that "Two Small of Pieces" song hard to find? I'm searching on Kazaa and haven't turned up anything. If you wouldn't mind posting the lyrics, I'd love that. :D

Edited cause I found it! Whoohoo! Downloading, start your engine! :D:D

Sequoia
July 21st, 2001, 09:42 PM
Small Two of Pieces *can* be hard to find at times. But I LOVE it.
btw, the title is "Small Two of Pieces", I said it wrong -_-; that's the short title, anhow. It should work if yo'ure looking for it.
Here's the lyrics!

Run through the cold of the night
As passion burns in your heart
Ready to fight, a knife held close by your side
Like a proud wolf alone in the dark
With eyes that watch the world
And my name like a shadow
On the face of the moon

(*)Broken mirror, a million shades of light
The old echo fades away
But just you and I
Can find the answer, and then
We can run to the end of the world
We can run to the end of the world

Cold fire clenched to my heart
In the blue of night
Torn by this pain, I paint your name in sound
And the girl of the dawn with eyes of blue, and angel wings
The songs of the season are her only crown

* repeat

We met in the mist of morning
And parted deep in the night
Broken sword and shield, and tears that never fall
But run through the heart
Washed away by the darkest water
The world is peaceful and still

* repeat

ladyrowan
July 21st, 2001, 09:49 PM
The two that really get to me are :

R.E.M - 'Everybody Hurts', and

Cars - 'Drive'

The first, anyone who has suffered depression/breakdowns will understand, and the second, they played it during the Live Aid TV broadcast in 1985, accompanying a vidoe of starving and dying children - the most heart-rending thing i've ever seen.

BB

ladyrowan
July 21st, 2001, 10:08 PM
Oh, and Bette Middler - 'The Rose'. Can't watch her sing it in the film without bawling my eyes out!

BB

MammaStar
July 22nd, 2001, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Puma Hime

err. . . well. . . now that I"ve been all bitter and stuffs. . . one song that I heard made me sob hard when I first heard it. "When Children Cry" by the White Lions.

White Lion! Kings of 80's cheese! :D

Sequoia
July 22nd, 2001, 03:29 AM
hehe white lions is from the 80's? I just downloaded the song almost by accident from napster (I was trying to get something else). . . do they have many good songs?

ladyrowan
July 22nd, 2001, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by ladyrowan
Oh, and Bette Middler - 'The Rose'. Can't watch her sing it in the film without bawling my eyes out!

BB

OOPS, for 'The Rose' please read "Stay with me" !!

Well, it was 3.00am when i posted it! haha

BB

Niamh
July 22nd, 2001, 03:12 PM
There's this great band in the greater New Haven, CT area called 404. They have this song called "Right Here" that kills me. It's loaded on their web site.

http://www.404music.com

If you click on "audio" in the upper left hand corner, you get a list of songs to listen to.

Another song that gets me weepy is "Thank You" by Dido. Sniff...

Myst
July 30th, 2001, 05:16 AM
"The Heart of the Matter" by Don Henley used to always get me - see the lyrics here - http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/SongUnid/1D627C9F1921FBB6482568E000130327 if you're wondering why... Especially the lines "But I think it's about forgiveness
Forgiveness Even if, even if you don't love me anymore"

"Joey" by Concrete Blonde when I was younger got me too - http://gunther.simplenet.com/v/data/joey.htm (my first crush was on someone named Joey :). I think I was maybe 12 at the time)

Though right now, no song makes me cry.

Red Stag
August 3rd, 2001, 06:44 AM
Ok I can never tell what song is going to set me off but the one that will do it more often then any other in last dance by the cure or maybe pictures of you. ok ya so I had a robert smith thinge:D :D

loopy
August 3rd, 2001, 06:47 AM
Dido-- her "Isobel" gets me. Actually, a LOT of her songs do.

There's this song by Matthew Good Band called "Running for Home." Also, "Alone" by... darn. darndarndarn. Um. Crusoe? i think is his name. Yeah. I think.

:)

story
August 4th, 2001, 09:33 PM
got a couple here:
first, sticking with LdyStarlite's gd theme, you have birdsong, the acoustic version off of Reckoning (tho most of that album could fit the bill) then of course there the garcia/grisman version of Russian Lullabye. Have I mentioned franklins tower? hard to explain why that one gets me, by it does every time.
Pretty much anything joni mitchell ever did, but especially a case of you. One of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.
then theres dylan. buckets of rain, your gonna make me lonsome when you go, the lonesome death of hattie carroll ( i mean jesus!!!)boots of spanish leather, etc.
I'm so lonesome I could cry --hank williams (the good one)
i could go on, but thats enough for now. I think I'll go rifle thru my cd collection....