PDA

View Full Version : It's official, I'm an animal killer

Aidron
October 23rd, 2003, 02:50 PM
A couple years back my mom and I were out driving, and as usual because she is too much of a neurotic mess, she was driving since I prefer her not to be anywhere withint a mile of me if I am as hearing "SLOW DOWN! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SLOW DOWN!" tends to put me on edge.

Well, we came upon a dove and I instinctively thought "It'll fly away, no biggie. All birds do."

We run right over the thing and I immediately turned around to look out the back window and saw a mess of white feathers being torn apart.

To say the least it was disturbing and unsettling. It was the first animal I had ever seen killed while I was in the car, and even more oddly, a bird, whom I still cannot figure out for the life of me why it did not fly away. Perhaps it was suicidal and wasn't gettin' enough dove love. :lol:

The other night, while out driving alone to a nearby cemetary just for the joy of it, I saw something dart from across the road on the right. It ran right between my front and rear tires on the right side and then I heard...

"Bump.... bump... CRUNCH!"

Ugh. That is such an absolutely disturbing thing to hear, the crunching of another creature's bones. Being the unstable mental case that I am, but trying to remain logical, I kept on driving and slowly began to freak out. I finally couldn't take it so I came back home to calm myself down.

Then I got to thinking... "What if it's still alive? Out there, on this cold night in absolute agony, close to taking its last breaths."

Needless to say I felt absolutely terrible. I was already shaking, but by this point I was about ready to cry. In keeping with my usual idiocy I decided the 'smart' thing to do was to drive while I am like this. :lol:

So I went back out to look for it, knowing quite well there was nothing I could do to save it and it was probably beyond all help considering what a loud crunching noise I heard. When I got back I looked for it and looked for it, and was hoping that if I found it I would then smash its head in with whatever large object I could find. Sounds gruesome I know, but no doubt it was beyond help and I could not just let it lie there in agony and torment.

Unfortunately I did not find it and after walking around in the cold for about 15 minutes, my lips sufficiently chapped even though I am incessantly applying chapstick, and dying for a cigarette to calm down, I left.

I hope it died instantly and if not did not linger long, but sheesh, talk about the universe throwing me a curve ball (which we all know it is so fond of! Har, har universe!) as I did not expect this to happen. Poor lil' animal, it was probably just out thinking "Yeah, I'll get me something to eat!" not even knowing that me in my junky Toyota were going to make this the last night of its life. From the way it moved I imagine it was a bunny rabbit. A cute, fluffly lil' bunny rabbit. What bothered me most about this whole ordeal is that I was the one driving, not my mother, not a friend, me, and I am entirely responsible for it. Sure it was an accident, but it's just unsettling to kill something, be all alone, and have no one to take the wheel while you indulge in a 'freak-out' of sorts.

Okay, I have to stop now or I'll start feeling all icky and bad again. :lol:

Bainidhe Dub
October 23rd, 2003, 03:00 PM
How horrible for you (and the poor bird).

I've never run over any critters myself, but was in the car when my mom ran over "something" that ran in front of us about three years ago. When I felt that telltale bump/crunch, I about died. As soon as we got home (because my mom is not fond of jumping out of the car on a dark road in the middle of nowhere for *anything* - she was *not* stopping to go back) I threw up & cried for hours. I felt so bad for not going back; all I could think about was that maybe that was someone's pet or something.

Rhaven
October 23rd, 2003, 03:05 PM
I also run over a rabbit, it has been a while, but I remember I was feeling the same way you did. I guess it was a rabbit, because I also couldn't find it - it was a strange feeling - I mean I really felt bad and I was constantly thinking: maybe it's not hurt to bad .... and stuff like that.

Well , I guess I am an animal killer too.... partners in crime :lol:

Avalon
October 23rd, 2003, 03:33 PM
Raven, it was an accident. A sad one, yes, but you didn't set out trying to kill the poor thing, so try not to beat yourself up about it. :hugz:

Recently I had the unpleasant task of cleaning the remains of a kitten off the road in front of my house...it was a little one that we knew, and had been hanging around the yard for most of the Spring and Summer...I cried for a couple of days after that... :(

Flar's Freyja
October 23rd, 2003, 03:36 PM
Once when looking for an address in the course of doing my job, I ran over a small dog and I can identify with how you feel. I tried to find out who it belonged to so that I could at least tell them and give them a chance to get medical care but was unsuccessful. It haunts me to this day.

Last year, I hit two deer within 6 months. Since my car was not nearly as damaged as it could have been and I was not hurt, I hoped that the animals may have only been injured and not killed, but no one would support my hopes there.

docdoo
October 24th, 2003, 09:03 AM
I feel for you Raven. I too am a bona-fide animal killer, at 31 I just ran over my first animal and marred my hitherto clean record. It was a groundhog (although I suspect it was deeply depressed and was suicidal lol) I have driven past groundhogs feasting on bits of grass on the roadside thousands of times before...never have any run directly beneath my tires at the very last second.

Even though I screeched the brakes and swerved (we live way out in the country so it was a very rural road I was traveling down...thus no oncoming traffic) I still hit the little guy. My kids were in the car and I was immediatly sickened and shaking like a leaf. I pulled over and check the rear view and he was dead...I said a small prayer for it right then and there and then that night burned a candle for the poor little guy who was only going about his day.

Maybe if you have a bit of ceremony for the spirit of the critter you hit? I lit a candle and let it burn and just meditated a bit sending out 'Im sorry' vibes to the little guy and wishing him a safe journey home. It seemed to help, or maybe it was just my conscious didnt scream so loudly to me after that. Anyway its never fun to run something over.

Til next time,

DragonLove
October 24th, 2003, 09:13 AM
My DH did the same thing a few years back and felt awful : (
We turned the car around and moved the bird (a crow) to the side of the road. A few miles down the road there was a tortoise in the middle of the street and we stopped traffic to move him to safety : )

To this day, I slow down for birds.

DanuMoonrunner
October 24th, 2003, 10:04 AM
To my knowledge (I don't have a great memory) I have never hit an animal while driving, except those pesky insects that fly into your windshield right after you clean it. I have gone into the ditch twice to avoid hitting dogs!
About 13 years ago, my then husband and I were driving home on I-80 when a herd of deer just started running across the highway. He tried to avoid them, but one ran right out and hit the passenger side door. I actually looked right into its eyes as it hit and felt it dying. We had another 6 hour drive ahead and I was sick the entire trip. I was so stunned I couldn't do anything but cry. Of course being the macho cowboy he was, he just kept saying it was just a deer and it hit us! It still hurts just to think about it.

MoonRaven
October 24th, 2003, 09:59 PM
I hate driving down country roads with anyone for just that reason - I'm always worried that something's going to run out and get hit. I know that if it was my mom driving, she'd stop the car right there and have a nervous breakdown - she cried for an hour when she accidentally hit a toad with her shovel in the garden. My dad had a deer smash in one of his headlights on the road, but luckily I wasn't in the car.

If it's any consolation Raven, my BF hit a dove the VERY first time he went out driving. There were two sitting in the middle of a VERY busy road, so we couldn't brake or swerve or anything. One of them flew away... we figure the other was suffering from some kind of dove depression. I do have to agree though - that "crunch" under the tires is pretty sickening - my ex drove over a raccoon carcass while I was in the car, and I just about lost my dinner.

zakzekezedd
November 2nd, 2003, 04:09 PM
Well, the only "victim" I can claim is a big grackle that literally flew right into the car...I had to clean it out of the grill, enough said.......My dad was always worried about me being out on the road because he was certain I'd run off the road and kill myself before I'd hit an animal...and he was probably right. I don't think I could live with myself if I hit something...I know how "sick" I feel when I see something that has lost it's race with a car.

Crystal_Raye
November 14th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Well I have some good news for you. You said that you never really saw the critter and if you heard a "crunch" when you went over it then it probably was not an animal at all because you can't hear the sound of small bones cracking over the hum of a car engine. It could have been a stick or gravel or maybe some mechanical thingy inside your vehicle. And you also said that you went back and never found it which means either you didn't hit an animal or that you did and someone or something had dragged it off the road. But trust me I know what its like to see an animal get run over right in front of you. I saw the cutess little baby bunny get run over by the car infront of us one time. It was so quick that I'm sure the little fella didn't feel a thing. I mean one second he was running for his life the next he was flying through the air and landing on the pavement with a splat. I tried to act tough and mature around everyone in the car but as soon as I got home I started bawling my eyes out in my room. To this day those images still haunt me and everytime we drive past that spot I say a little prayer for that tiny rabbit and all the animals killed unjustly by humans.

boerbabe
November 18th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Living 25 miles from town, there's a lot of "suicidal" animals on the roads.
But honestly, the only ones that bother me are the ones that do not need to obey the rules of gravity- birds! I can;t dodge them when they are flying!

I've had 4 owls hit my windshield,a nd everytime, I duck my face behind the steering wheel, and cross my arms over it to block the bird that surely has to shatter the glass and rip my face to shreds...

It hasn't happened, but it's scarey! I've seena lot of trucks that hit owls, with busted out windshields, and radiators out here.

The worst I've heard of anyone hitting here was a fair pig...

asamananara
November 19th, 2003, 01:25 AM
I've got to admit that this thread really surprised me...
Animal casualties are a continual fact of life where I live;
The narrow, unlit roads are carved through old-growth forest
and wind precariously along the mountain ridges... many are
not maintained during the winter, and some not at all. I'd
have a hard time listing all the critters who met a messy end
beneath my tires over the years. Deer, oppossum, wild turkey,
skunk, duck, groundhog, rabbit, vulture, raccoon, turtle,
squirrels and birds by the dozen... If I haven't run over it,
I probably know someone who has. It keeps the carnavores and
the scavengers happy, though. Like the Tom Waits song says,
"Roadkill has it's seasons just like anything- it's 'possum
in the autumn and it's barn-cats in the spring."

boerbabe
November 19th, 2003, 01:29 AM
Like the Tom Waits song says,
"Roadkill has it's seasons just like anything- it's 'possum
in the autumn and it's barn-cats in the spring."
Dogs, cats, coyotes, you name it, I've hit it.... and 30 mice or so everytimne I ge tin the car.
The ones that leap at your car as you move towards them are the worst though- like they want to take you out with them!

asamananara
November 19th, 2003, 01:50 AM
The ones that leap at your car as you move towards them are the worst though
lol... you're not kidding. A few years ago I had a deer literally
leap from an embankment ONTO the hood of my car. There was about
a foot of snow on the road, and I was only doing about 30 mph...
nothing I could do to avoid it. She smashed against the
windshield and got pitched over the car- the momentum pushed
my car off the road into a snowdrift, and the poor doe landed
upside-down in another one. I thought I had killed her, but as
I approached she jumped up, shook herself off, gave me a dirty
look, and ran off into the night. Sheesh.

Muireannach
November 19th, 2003, 01:51 AM
Awwww, it wasn't your fault, usually when birds are struck the death is quick, there was nothing you could of done.

boerbabe
November 19th, 2003, 02:56 AM
Lucky that doe didn't kill you and her! O.O

DayDreamer
November 20th, 2003, 01:29 PM
I live in Michigan, and the winter gets nasty. About 15 years ago, I owned a huge 1970 Mustang fastback. You know the kind.... huge 351 engine, big enough to have its own zip code, etc.

One morning I got in, and turned the key.... nothing. Did it again. Nothing. AGAIN... it TRIED to start, and stopped as a poof of white came up. Husband (at the time) raised the hood to look, and several kittens ran out. Then he looked down. :(

There was a kitten caught in the fan. Its little body was sliced up, and it was still alive. I was near hysterics. He went into the house to get a pipe wrench, and put the poor thing out of its misery (it was too far gone, even if the vet office had been next door). I was inconsolable.

I drove the car to the junkyard later that day, because I refused to ever drive it again.

*GrumpButt*
November 20th, 2003, 01:42 PM
AWww i am sorry rav.
I ran over a huge frog once, awwww.
I rem. when I was a little gilr my dog was hit, she liked to lay in the middle of the street. ANd I rem. my parents trying to get her into the truck to go to the vets, blood, intestins and all.......
And one time myu momn was was taking me to school, well she started up the van, and all we heard was thunk thunk thunk... My cat had crawled up into the vans motor fan...

O and raven the bird might have been sick, I have found a few sick doves and they dont fly, they just sit there like durrrrrrr...

O and a few days ago I spied a huge black mountain lion kinda cat on the side of the road... :(

boerbabe
November 20th, 2003, 02:36 PM
I ran over a big toad one time... they kind of explode, and make the loudest popping noise you've ever heard! Sounds gross I know... :rolleyes:

We haven't had any of our cats get into the fan, although they do like to leave on and under the hoods. Normaly I just turn tyhe key enough for the starter to almost catch and they're off if they hadn't moved when they heard me coming to the car.
If my horn worked, I'd tap it instead..lol.

Darkstaff
December 2nd, 2003, 10:30 AM
I've hit quite a few myself. I always try to avoid em, but sometimes they are hell bent on offing themselves! Deer, bats, various birds, squirrels, bunnies, and more.

The only one I wish I could've nailed squarly though was a HUGE buck. Gorgeous rack, at least ten points, and tons of meat on his bones! Course, had I hit him, his rack would've splintered, and I would have gut hit him, so's the meat would've been spoiled!

Instead, I nipped his rear, a little blood and hair left on the bumper, and he was off and bounding with a smarting bum across the fields!

Lucky him!