PDA

View Full Version : Help for the emotionally challanged cat!

BrisaDelMar
October 25th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Hi all you animal lovers and friends..
Ive got a question. My cat Mojo (no giggles at the name) is not the same cat. It could be the combination of moving him to a new house and neutering him that did it. *sigh* But, one couldn't be helped, and the other was to save overpopulation.. Mojo is a lover.. and well spent many nights on the prowl. :) But since Ive moved(its been almost 4 months) he wants nothing to do with us. He comes in, eats, lays around, goes outside. That's it. We can't pet him. We can't talk to him. If we do, he meows at us like we are either a) wasting his time or b) he is highly annoyed at our presense. And then gets up and hides from us. But, before we moved. He was so loving. He climbed in our laps, he rubbed up against us. He purred like a lawnmower. Now, we might get a jumpstart purr.. but that's what we have affectionately called the "courtesy purr". Any suggestions? Anyone? Of how I can lovingly get my cat back?
Blessings,
BrisaDelMar

Old Witch
October 25th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Best advice I can give, have him checked by his vet and if nothing physical is wrong, just give him time. Cats seem to take time in adjusting.....in fact, a whole lot of time.....

Good luck and hang in there........

veinglory
October 26th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Males can find changes in location very difficult. It depends on a lot of things but this can work -- get him a hidey box and never bother him when he is in it -- a secure base can help him adjust.

BrisaDelMar
October 26th, 2003, 09:22 AM
get him a hidey box and never bother him when he is in it -- a secure base can help him adjust.

What kind of hidey box? Everyplace for him is a hidey box. Like a cat tower? A hidden carboard box?Any suggestions?

Blessings,

BrisaDelMar
:sailing:

Flar's Freyja
October 26th, 2003, 02:03 PM
This thread may be helpful: She Who Lives Under The Table (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=29420&highlight=table)

It's my little journal of what happened when I moved one of my cats in after our handfasting. I'd never had a cat take more than 2 weeks to adjust, but it's been nine months and we're still working on it.

BrisaDelMar
October 26th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Thank you for showing me your thread on your cat, Freyja, I don't know if it specifically helped in my particular situation, but it did help me to understand that a cat's time, is a cat's time. Whenever he wants to be himself, if ever, he will. (The sad thing is, I will have to move again early next year, so I will have to go through this all over again...hopefully we both make it.) :)

Blessings,
BrisaDelMar

Flar's Freyja
October 27th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Thank you for showing me your thread on your cat, Freyja, I don't know if it specifically helped in my particular situation, but it did help me to understand that a cat's time, is a cat's time. Whenever he wants to be himself, if ever, he will. (The sad thing is, I will have to move again early next year, so I will have to go through this all over again...hopefully we both make it.) :)

Blessings,
BrisaDelMar

I hope you do too! My hubby has been a lot more patient with her than I've been.

veinglory
October 28th, 2003, 10:10 AM
A cardboard box with a flap cut in it and a blanket inside will generally do the trick. With cats in shelters we had this rule and it really helped the stressed cats. If he just ignores the hidey box then it may be a different problem like disturbing scents or sounds in the environment or maybe chronic pain? Any adhesion at the surgery site might make it painful for him to be picked up.

zakzekezedd
November 2nd, 2003, 04:01 PM
I believe that Cleveland Amory made the observation that all cats must be republicans because they hate change so much! Sometimes it just takes time. The first time I ever moved, my one little female cat hid in the back of the closet and only came out to eat and go to the litter box for nearly 6 months. If I tried to entice her to come out all she would do was hiss and growl. Then there was the time I brought Phoenix home..he growled and snarled the whole way, and when I released him from the carrier, he took over my bedroom and literally would "attack" me if I tried to enter. I'd slip a dish of food and water just inside the door and slept on the sofa for a week before he decided to make up to me. Ah yes....my one cat is only now forgiving me for going away for a week in August and leaving him "at the mercy" of the pet sitters. He hid under the bed until the end of September for cryin' out loud. Just be patient and give your fur friend time. Eventually he'll forget..I'm not too sure about the forgive part of it though..;)