PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a child named Pagan?

voodoozebra
October 27th, 2003, 04:41 PM
We're having a baby next spring and if she's a girl we really like the name Pagan. Wondering if anyone else has a child named Pagan and what kind of issues come up at school, how you are dealing with them, etc...Would especially like to hear from anyone who is named Pagan, Thanks

Biinasu
October 29th, 2003, 11:40 AM
I've never actually met anyone named Pagan...unless Pagan from Lace counts? I loved her if that means anything. ^^;

Rockprincess
October 29th, 2003, 12:02 PM
That's lovely :) What would her second name be?

mol
October 29th, 2003, 12:45 PM
That's a great idea!

Sylvan
October 29th, 2003, 01:19 PM
I can see it now... Little Pagan meets her future husband, Christian... :)

Biinasu
October 29th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Oh wouldn't that just be priceless? Wonder what they'd name THEIR kids? X3;

Faery-Wings
October 29th, 2003, 01:42 PM
That is a beautiful name. But to look at the other side of the coin, how would you feel if it were your name? Say you are 20 years old, and either Pagan or not Pagan (because she might not choose a pagan path eventually). Say you want to apply to a Christian college. Like for instance, I graduated from St Elizabeth's, an all girl Catholic college ( I know, I know :p ). Would you feel uncomfortable or out of place? Or what if she want to move to the Bible belt? Will she experience discrimination because of it?

Personally, I love the name and wish that there would be no issues with it. However, I feel that it could raise certain problems. The world is not as open minded as I would like it to be.
Whatever you name the baby ( and congrats BTW!) it is a legacy that he or she will have with him or her for a very long time.

DragonLove
October 29th, 2003, 01:44 PM
I can see it now... Little Pagan meets her future husband, Christian... :)

rofl..I was thinking of naming my eldest Christian before I knew she was a girl. My jewish relatives raised their eyebrows and asked what would I name my second child? Pagan?

Although I do think its a gorgeous name, I dont know if I would name a child Pagan because of how most of society thinks. As a middle name it might be nice though :D

Bainidhe Dub
October 29th, 2003, 03:23 PM
True.. Or name the child Pagan whatever... and just have her go by her middle name. It works both ways. :) I think Pagan is pretty though

voodoozebra
October 29th, 2003, 07:03 PM
That would be funny (Christian + Pagan). We also figured she could go by her middle name if she really wanted to, or she could go as Page or Paige or something. My fiance has known a few people named Pagan and she thought they were all very well adjusted and getting along fine with their names but she never asked about their childhood.

I look at it as an opportunity for her to learn a lot about alternatives. Us too, we'd have to educate ourselves on the finer historical points of paganism and chrisitianity. I guess that's the cross to bear for a child named Pagan or the parent of one. We haven't come up with a middle name yet, took us over a year to think of Pagan ;-)

Rockprincess
October 29th, 2003, 07:07 PM
We haven't come up with a middle name yet, took us over a year to think of Pagan ;-)
DOes that mean your fiancee has been gestating for over a year?!:holycow::holycow::holycow:

:lol:

voodoozebra
October 29th, 2003, 07:11 PM
DOes that mean your fiancee has been gestating for over a year?!:holycow::holycow::holycow:

:lol:

No, no but we've been trying for about that long.

ApNudd
October 30th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Hi,

Pagan, has been my public name for over 20 years now. At home, at work, wherever I go I introduce myself as 'Pagan'.

I have been met with curiosity, fear, loathing and laughter. An old friend used to ask me "how does it feel to have started your own religion?" -It got quickly tiresome-.

The biggest problem I have had was at my last place of work. One of the guys there (Christian Fundamentalist) would sit next to me in the cafeteria and start spouting biblical verse, not to me, not to anyone, just spouting.(what makes me laugh is that it was a group of christians who gave me the name hehehe)

But then again, I have a slight advantage over your expected child. I'm an adult, male, with 15 years of full contact martial arts under my belt, well versed in my craft, well versed in christianity, Judaism and Islam, and I've never been shy or introverted.

I'm not sure that you would be doing your child a service by naming them Pagan. In some circles it does have religious overtones, it originally meant 'A country dweller' in other circles it has come to mean 'an unenlightened one' and while I hope that the world moves forward over the next 20 years or so, I can't even get them to spell it correctly when I order my Starbucks! (Pegan, Pagen, Paygan and various others) Why not 'name' your child with a farily unobtrusive name, but call them Pagan, so that on all official forms they have a name that would not especially raise eyebrows, but everyone knows them as 'Pagan'.

Blessings on your family.
H3
ApNudd

Biinasu
October 30th, 2003, 04:07 AM
Well, I was just reminded of something that can come from having an 'unusual' name. Occasionally, you get a bit peeved at the people who think you made it up. >_> My own given name is Jasmine, which I've never found all that special (and it seems every other Jasmine I meet also has my middle name AND or my last name). A few of my other friends with more...unique..names agree on this. At times it's amusing, but other times it's rather annoying. >_>

VelvetBlade
October 30th, 2003, 08:28 AM
I have a cat named Pagan...does that count? lol....but seriously, if I were able to have another child, and it was a girl..I would definately name her Pagan! I think it's a wonderful name...

~AW