PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with the unbelievers?

Sarah
June 28th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Hi-
Thanks so much for the warm welcome!
Was wondering how you deal with the strange people who follow you around and tell you all kinds of strange things. Let me get into a few strange details! Was looking at a few books and this fellow started lecturing me about the evils of what I was involved with. Such as killing babys and kidnapping local children and killing small animals.... He went into such graphic details I couldn't beleive it! Has this type of thing happened to you guys? Does it happen alot? How do you attempt to deal with this? I honestly didn't know what to say! To tell you the truth I was expecting a few negative ideas and or comments but not being followed around the local bookstore! It's kind of got me feeling uneasy because he's at the store all the time, so any advice on how to best deal with him would be great!
B-B
Sarah

Lilu
June 28th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Does he work there or is he just a customer? If he is just a customer and keeps harrassing you, I'd report him to the people who work there and say that you won't continue to shop there if you get harrassed everytime you walk in the door. Heck, I'd do it even if he did work there! Ask to speak to his manager!

As for how to deal with him. Turn your back on him, tell him you don't appreciate his harrassment (because that's what it is), ignore him, if he touches you threaten to sue him. **L** Tell him to try reading some of the books you are.

I'd recommend "Pocket Guide to Wicca" by Paul Tuitean and Estelle Daniels. It's very concise and yet covers a lot of area. Or else "Truth About Witchcraft Today" by Scott Cunningham. LOL That might stir him up, just hand him that.

Some people are just rude, you're going to have to work out which way works for you in confronting him (or not, if you so choose). My methods don't always work for a lot of people because I have no problem being rude, creating a scene, and pointing out how ignorant they are being. ;)

BB
Lilu

evilslinkycat
June 28th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Sarah

Was wondering how you deal with the strange people who follow you around and tell you all kinds of strange things...I couldn't beleive it! Has this type of thing happened to you guys? Does it happen alot? How do you attempt to deal with this? I honestly didn't know what to say!

Hiya Sarah!

LOL you think thats bad, try working with two young, over excitable FUNDIES!
:eek:
Anyway, the best thing to do in most cases, imho is to just ignor them. It seems to me that no matter what you say to them, or try to prove yourself in their eyes that you are not some evil icky person they will just go thinkg whatever it is that they do.

Now I have never had someone follow me in a book store,but thats just not right. If it happens again ask him to stop, or if that doesn't help talk to the store manager....you have as much right to be there as he does.

Just my .2 cents

idusty88
June 28th, 2001, 01:35 PM
He sounds like a troubled individual. If he doesn't work there, yet he is there every time you go and insinuates himself upon you (and probably other people too), he is demonstrating a pattern and that pattern is called 'stalking'.
The advice to alert the store management about this is first rate, do it. They should resolve the situatuion, afterall it's their customers he may be driving away.
It's also important that you not allow him to harrass you. Walk away or turn your back to him when he approaches. If he insists on getting your attention, then be polite the first time and say something like "excuse me, but I'm not interested". Next time don't bother with polite, just be firm and say, "Leave me alone, or I'll alert the authorities". Do NOT stand around and listen to him. You are not under obligation to be imposed on by strangers and you do not need to defend your choices or actions to them either.

All ranting aside;
WELCOME Sarah! It's nice to have you here!
Hope you enjoy Mysticwicks. Have a glass of lemonade and relax on a comfy thingie.

Rick
June 28th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Reporting him to the store's management is an absolute MUST. DO NOT GO BACK THERE AGAIN UNLESS/UNTIL YOU DO THIS! THIS MAN COULD BE UNSTABLE & DANGEROUS! I may sound a little alarmist, but that's better than taking that kind of chance.

On a lighter note, something I've found to be very effective is to look glassy-eyed, wave your hands in the air, & mutter things like "eye of newt" & "wing of bat"; throw in a few Latin words or phrases.

So far, it has worked every time. :cool:

bluecat
June 29th, 2001, 09:23 AM
You have received some very good advice from folks. Reporting him works best if you can report him when he does it. Don't let him stop you from going somewhere, but you must protect your rights and yourself.

Blue

raevyncigany
June 29th, 2001, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Rick
On a lighter note, something I've found to be very effective is to look glassy-eyed, wave your hands in the air, & mutter things like "eye of newt" & "wing of bat"; throw in a few Latin words or phrases.

So far, it has worked every time. :cool:

ROFLMAO!!!! Rick I just have to try that sometime. Actually, I'm surprised I haven't had that opportunity yet. Thank the Goddess that most people who find out I am wiccan sort of shrug and take me for who and what I am: a good person.

Sarah, remember that: if you know in your heart that you're a good person, to Hades with the rest of them who think otherwise!

BB

Rae )0(

SamuraiInBlack
July 1st, 2001, 06:57 PM
My favorite line to a christian who harassed me about being Wiccan.

"Loving thy neighbor does not include badgering him to the temptations of filing a lawsuit. If you wish to donate money that badly, a simple offering of money is all that is needed."

Mirae
July 2nd, 2001, 01:23 PM
I have to agree with the advice you have been given so far. I think too often we as pagans forget the rights that protect everyone else aslo protect us.

There is absolutly no reason to allow someone to harrass and make you uncomfortable especially in a public book store where they sell books on paganism.

MistOfTheSea86
July 3rd, 2001, 01:12 AM
I personally enjoy Ricks approach. Also try this, start to twitch a bit and drool and turn to him and fall into his arms and tell him to run!run! I can't control it, then make a funny growling noise, and if you can do the spider walk!

lightning fire
July 3rd, 2001, 05:00 AM
I think that Rick and Mist of the Sea have very good points, as well as very good sense of humors. I seriously have never had the problem that you are having, sara, but I have to say, consider what they are saying. not only would he probably...no...most likely leave you alone, but you could also get a good kick out of it!!! I would seriously consider what they are saying. I know I would love to try it!

lightningfire