PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding After Surgery?

Biinasu
November 5th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Ever since I was a young child, I knew I'd want to breastfeed my kids. So, now that I'm being faced with the decision of a breast reduction surgery, I'm worried. I know there are ways to breastfeed successfully after surgery...but how? Would I just be better off not getting the surgery at all? Should I just wait until after I'm done? Or what? I'm really confused and I'm starting to get upset. ._.; I figured this was the best forum for this question, hope I'm not wrong. ^^; Anyhoo, I hope you guys can help me, 'cause I just don't know what to do.

:sniffsnif

Drisel
November 5th, 2003, 09:21 AM
It depends on the type of surgery you are having. If the nipple has to be relocated you will not be able to breast feed. Even if they aren't there is a chance you won't be able to. The ducts that produce milk for lactation are mainly located in the front portion of the breast, so it really depends on how much tissue they are looking at taking off. Your best bet is to talk to your doctor and explain your fears to them honestly.
Best of luck!

Blueowl
November 5th, 2003, 09:26 AM
I agree with Drisel....I would defiantley talk to your doc about it, me personally, I would wait until I was done breast feeding...and then go ahead and do it...good luck!!!

Autumn
November 5th, 2003, 05:49 PM
I do not know how much of a reduction you are looking at or how much of a hardship the abundance of you is...Ideally you should wait till you are done with the mommy phase.

If this is a very needed thing then look for a surgeon who will preserve your ability to breastfeed by pointedly not cutting ducts. and also asking him to write a surgical report that will be of use to your lactation consultant when it comes time to have a baby. This lactation consultant should have successfully assisted other women who've had reduction mamoplasty. It is also crucial that you like her!!

Amethyst Rose
November 5th, 2003, 07:26 PM
I had breast reduction surgery 6 years ago... went from a 38DD to a 38C (basically took off a total of 5 lbs). In my case, they did what is called a "key hole" incision...meaning that they cut around the nipple, down the breast, and then under the breast, in the crease. At the time I was told I had a 25% chance of not being able to breastfeed.... I am now struggling with breastfeeding and supply issues.
If I had known then what I know now, and what my experiences would be, I'm not sure if I would have had the surgery or not. On one hand, it made me feel so much better and my constant headaches were gone, and my clothes fit. On the other hand, I'd rather breastfeed with ease. As well, during pregnancy I gained back every single bit that I had removed in the surgery and I'm a 38DD again.
I think that if you're planning on having kids and breastfeeding, you are better off waiting until after to have the surgery, unless you're doing it for medical reasons that can't wait.

Biinasu
November 6th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Ah, I'm watching Rhapsody in August, so I almost wrote this in Japanese. ^^;

Thank you for your help everyone. There are a few medical reasons...nothing life impairing. Just annoyances. ^^; Mainly it's because I'm 15 (so, I probably have a couple of years before I actually need to worry about breastfeeding) and I've got a DDD chest...and growing. ._.; I think though, that I will probably wait to have the surgery (if I still want it) after I'm done breastfeeding. ._.;

MotherMoon
November 9th, 2003, 04:02 AM
I think it's a wise choice to wait until you're finished breastfeeding your children. It is possible to BFAR (breastfeed after reduction) and there's a whole communtiy of women out there who have done it (or are doing it). However, there are no guarantees that it will be possible, and it's almost always a very difficult road. In my opinion, breastfeeding is far too important to take unneccessary chances.

Amethyst Rose
November 14th, 2003, 05:27 PM
I found this link that you may find helpful...

http://www.bfar.org/presurgery.shtml

OceanEyes
November 16th, 2003, 04:13 PM
I can completely relate to your situation. I began wanting and researching a breast reduction by the time I was 17, and when I graduated high school I was into a triple D. Bf'ing was very important to me too, so I held off. At 19 I had my first baby and afterward my breasts grew to a LL (yes there really is such a size). I nursed her for two years, and afterward I started looking into a breast reduction. Everything was hard for me -- exercising was difficult, so I started gaining weight. I couldn't find clothes that fit so I lived in oversized t-shirts and jeans. People stared at me (I'm only 5'2", and at that time under 130 lbs, so I was a relatively small person). My self-image got progressively worse, and I obsessed about the reduction. Eventually, faced with all the facts, I decided to wait until I was done having babies. So I had my second baby (we knew we only wanted two) and bf him for 14 months. Two years ago last October I had a massive breast reduction, and went from a size M to a C. It was the best thing I ever did. I'm also glad that (even considering the years of heartache from my breast size) I waited until I was done breastfeeding.

The bottom line is that no one can guarantee what level of success you will have bfar (breastfeeding after reduction). So it becomes a matter of what means more to you.

You've gotten some very good advice, and the site that Amethyst Rose gave you is an excellent one. http://www.breasthealthonline.org is also an excellent one.

A breast reduction is major surgery. I would not trade the time I spent breastfeeding for anything; it meant the world to me. I would suggest doing tons of research, on the surgery itself, breastfeeding, and bfar. Meditate on it, give yourself a couple of years. Then do what your heart tells you.

If you have questions or want to talk, contact me any time.

Bright Blessings,
Jennifer