PDA

View Full Version : Ever had this problem?

docdoo
November 11th, 2003, 12:55 PM
A classic case of writers block!? About 2 months ago I finished writing my novel...I knew from almost the very beginning that the story would run through at least 2 books. Anyway after finishing the first I was tickled pink...I've been spending my time now on just cleaning it up (editing, editing, editing :floating: ) And also sending out queries to agents etc.

Now however the time has come to begin the second book, unfortunatly though I have a vague idea of what will be happening I cannot seem to get the thoughts out into the open! Thus I have been putting off beginning it. In the first novel I truly winged it...when I wrote the first line in the book I had NO idea where it would take me. Nevertheless the journey was a grand one and Im starting to think I should begin the second in much the same way...

Oh well, this is more of a rant than an actual post as writers block can only be cured by you...just frustrating because I KNOW that the other story is in there I just cant bring it from the subconscious to the conscious. Hmmmm maybe a bit of a focusing spell?

Oh well...til next time,

Xentor
November 12th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Just start.

Once you start, your ideas will start flowing again. Write down and structure those ideas, but keep on writing. When you've generated enough ideas and written enough material to connect, restructure it and start writing again.

WandererInGray
November 13th, 2003, 09:12 AM
*nods* What Xen said.
I usually get about halfway through the book before I can actually write an outline for it. There's usually no more than a vague idea of what is going to happen. Only rarely do I know start to finish what I want going on, in my sci-fi trilogy, and even those required outlines and a lot of work to make them fit!

Phoenix Blue
November 13th, 2003, 09:44 AM
I think the first step is to get a firm grasp on how your story is going to end. I took creative writing in college, and that was drilled into us from the beginning: know your ending. You have some leeway to change it, obviously, but you want to be writing toward something. :) Having a goal in mind not only helps you get started, but it helps you stop once you've actually reached it.