PDA

View Full Version : Question about candle making and molds.

MoonDust
November 11th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Ok so Iím getting in to making candles and I was wondering is molds could be made out of clay that had been thrown (cooked) & glazed? If I can I think it would be cute.

Bad idea? Thoughts?

Felidae
November 13th, 2003, 05:40 PM
The only problems I see are 1) release of the candle after it hardens, and 2) temperature.

If the molds were glazed on the inside there's one problem out of the way, but I pour at fairly high temperatures. The plastic molds I use have only warped once, but I'm afraid that there might be a danger of the clay cracking?

Of course, you would know more about it's resiliency here...

etain16
November 16th, 2003, 04:10 AM
If the clay is fired it should be fine with high temp pours. I would agree that release might be a problem, but I use vasaline when I do wax pours in plaster and clay molds, and other than a little bit of suction there isn't really a problem with release.Come to think of it, even a straight layer of liquid soap might help with release. Good Luck.
Michelle

MoonDust
November 17th, 2003, 12:15 PM
vaseline. sounds good.
I'd read somewhere PAM (cooking spray) would work. I like the idea of creating my own molds but have no experience making plastic molds.

Sowelu
November 21st, 2003, 01:45 PM
cooking spray works fine for a mold release, although the outside of the candle comes out greasy which isn't a big deal. I buy the bottles of mold release at the craft stores than pour some into a spray bottle, works great!

Sowelu
November 21st, 2003, 01:47 PM
Ok so I’m getting in to making candles and I was wondering is molds could be made out of clay that had been thrown (cooked) & glazed? If I can I think it would be cute.

Bad idea? Thoughts?

what type of molds are you talking about? two piece or one? what about the hole for the wick?

MoonDust
November 21st, 2003, 02:29 PM
one piece maybe two later on once I get the hang of it. of course I've taken the wick in to consideration. I'll look into the mold release stuff.
Thanks!