PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Celtic! - Active Chat

Ariannon
February 15th, 2001, 03:34 AM
Transfered from "Let's Talk Celtic!"- Reference.

mol
February 15th, 2001, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Ariannon
Transfered from "Let's Talk Celtic!"- Reference.

You are great! *hugs*

Ariannon
February 15th, 2001, 03:50 AM
This was transfered from the "Let's Talk Celtic!" Revisited thread. I closed that one and am combining the previous 2 into this forum : "Let's Talk Celtic!" Reference. Hope you enjoy!

A new thread to continue this discussion...

The last post was by Ari:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did a whole history unit on the Celts and could dig some of my notes out, if I still have them...one of the things that struck me during the course was what an idealised view the pagan community tends to have of them, particularly in regards to the role of women and female deities in their society. In terms of equality, they were really very similar to the Vikings, ie better than the Romans of that time period, but still definately patriarchal.

Continue on...

mol
Site God

Ariannon
Priestess of Avalon

Celtic Women's Life
<<<one of the things that struck me during the course was what an idealised view the pagan community tends to have of them, particularly in regards to the role of women and female deities in their society. In terms of equality, they were really very similar to the Vikings, ie better than the Romans of that time period, but still definately patriarchal.>>>

How very true this statement is. The property was held entirly by the men. They could offer their daughters in marriage to whom ever had the best bride price. They also did all the hunting and farming. Meanwhile the women took care of the children, made bread and the like, and played proper hostess when there were guests. Neither attempts to do the other genders job. Where this inequality ends is at festivals and rituals. Then they honor the God and Goddess as one. Another time this occurs is with children. Girl children were taught fighting and warrior ways right along side the boy children.
As you can see they did not sequester their women or children inside the house out of everyone's view - as the Romans did but neither did they let the women and children live the life of a Viking warrior.

Ariannon

Ariannon
Priestess of Avalon

Continued from Above
One thing that I did forget to mention in the Celtics ways being a bit like the Romans is that the Father chose a groom for their daughters. It mattered if the daughter accepted the groom but she wasn't forced to marry anyone. If she declined the groom she could be severly punished considering how important the union was or how long she has been refusing suitors.

Niamh
Neophyte

Celts and Redheads
Yes, the Celts are thought to have come from Spain and parts of Gaul (now mostly France) which would account for the Celts being dark haired and usually having dark eyes. It was the Vikings (those crazy Vikings!) who gave me my red hair!

Ari
The Book Worm

I did a whole history unit on the Celts and could dig some of my notes out, if I still have them...one of the things that struck me during the course was what an idealised view the pagan community tends to have of them, particularly in regards to the role of women and female deities in their society. In terms of equality, they were really very similar to the Vikings, ie better than the Romans of that time period, but still definately patriarchal.

Ariannon
Priestess of Avalon

Who are the Celtic Nations?
<<<Ok. I have been doing some reading and I have found that the 'Celtic Nations' consisted of Scotland, Ireland, and Wales...and Kernow. Sound right?>>>

Here are some of the Celtic Tribes within the Celtic Nation:

Britons
Icini
Scot
Galicia
Breton
Manx
Pict
Wales
Eiru
Kernow
Gaul
Galati
Galatia

You see, The Celts weren't just in England/
Scotland/Wales. They reached from The Black Sea to Ireland and from Austria to Northern Italy and parts of the Iberian Penninsula. There really was a Celtic great celtic nation. The names you are interested in are of Tribes within this nation.

<<<---------------------------------------------------------
Um, sweetie. The Celts aren't in any way "native" to Britian.
--------------------------------------------------------->>>

No, the Celts aren't native but unlike the Vikings they came to work the land and settle, although they did fight and loot on the way to settling the land. The Celts are thought to be native by most because they had settled England, Ireland, and Scotland so thoroughly that by the time the Romans came to invade them they were very firmly rooted.

Ariannon

Mairwen
Site Priestess

Re: Who are the Celtic Nations?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Celts are thought to be native by most because they had settled England, Ireland, and Scotland so thoroughly that by the time the Romans came to invade them they were very firmly rooted.

Right, but that doesn't make them any more Native.

Ariannon
Priestess of Avalon

<<<The Celts are thought to be native by most because they had settled England, Ireland, and Scotland so thoroughly that by the time the Romans came to invade them they were very firmly rooted.>>>

<<<Right, but that doesn't make them any more Native.>>>

No it doesn't. I didn't say that at all. What I was trying to get across is that by the time the Roman's got there they couldn't tell the natives from the invaders and so went against them all. The origins of the Celts are unknown. Linquistically they belong to the Indo-European peoples, whos home was North of the Black Sea. About 7,000 BCE these peoples began to wander south towards India and West towards Europe. During this journey the various groups of migrants began to move away from one another causing the the Indo-European dialect they spoke to diverge.
So no - they are not native to England - they are native to (just my guess) Russia.

Ariannon
(Love ya Mariwen!)

Mairwen
Site Priestess

Thank you, ma'am. Just what I'd been trying to say for a while now, and you were just the woman to do it!

mol
February 19th, 2001, 05:33 AM
Wonder why no one is chatting in here!?

Ariannon
February 21st, 2001, 12:35 PM
Hugs back to you.....
Now if we can just get this forum jumping!

Twig
February 25th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Hi Folks! I wandered over here and found it interesting that the first thing I see is a reference to the Iceni tribe of Briton.

Why? Because the guiding force of Queen Boudica and the celtic uprising that caused the Iceni tribes to almost push the Romans into the sea [until the ambush that caused them all to be slaughtered] is Andrasta, my patron Goddess!

Keep up the good work!
Peace,
Twig

Ariannon
February 25th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Twig
Why? Because the guiding force of Queen Boudica... is Andrasta, my patron Goddess!

Coolness!!! Perhaps you could tell us more about the Iceni since you are rather well versed in them?

Ariannon

Mairwen
February 25th, 2001, 05:52 PM
That'd be interesting ~ but Twig, I have a suggestion, if you do, start a thread called "Iceni" or something.

Ariannon
March 1st, 2001, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Mairwen
That'd be interesting ~ but Twig, I have a suggestion, if you do, start a thread called "Iceni" or something.

Yes, an "Iceni" thread would be wonderful! If you are up to it please start one!

Ari